Grimm Forum

Full Version: Injustice done to the Juliette's character in Grimm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
(03-01-2017, 10:46 PM)Hell Rell Wrote: [ -> ]Regardless of how interesting the viewers may find her, I think they attempted to put Juliette in the forefront. HW and BC ended up being a dud to me but there's no doubt that they were advertised as the biggest stories in season 5. Eve was HW's top soldier and was in every episode since her return. She was often the one getting valuable intel that pushed the plot forward and they showed how much more powerful she was in comparison to everyone else. Even BC feared her.

This season has the plot revolving around her. She seems more connected to the overarching story than Nick does and was given a "purified soul" in the process. The endgame is setup to heavily rely on her. The ultimate mystery of the series has her name written all over it. She was even the one that discovered the date of whatever it is that's coming.
This is why I never warmed to her even after the personality transplant. She was everywhere, doing everything, like some sort of superwoman. It's even worse now this season and it's infuriating because I watch Grimm for the actual Grimm on the show and I absolutely hate how they made Nick pointless in S5 and now S6.
Just as a general observation, I get the impression from many here that Juliette should have accepted Nick's proposal. Why do you all feel that way?
(03-02-2017, 08:22 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Just as a general observation, I get the impression from many here that Juliette should have accepted Nick's proposal. Why do you all feel that way?

Many women conditionally accept engagements without a date and take the ring yet say we have issues to work on before we can pick a date. Juliette could have suggested marriage counseling to deal with her issues with Nick hiding stuff from her. I had marriage counseling through my church that my husband and I found helpful. If Juliette and Nick never worked out their differences at least they both would have felt they tried their best and then left each other
(03-02-2017, 08:22 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Just as a general observation, I get the impression from many here that Juliette should have accepted Nick's proposal. Why do you all feel that way?
I think they should have gone their separate ways long before the cat scratch.

Personally i don't care much for that storyline given that it turned out to be irrelevant. The characters weren't so hung up about it either
(03-02-2017, 05:46 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-01-2017, 10:29 PM)Nicholas White Wrote: [ -> ]The idea of making Juilette a Hexenbiest wasn't done to make the show more interesting as the show was good in that department. It was to make Bitsie character Juilette more interesting to those who found her character boring and useless.

No, the show wasn't good in any department. As I believe someone pointed out, the ratings plummeted in season 4 and so they decided to make Juliette a hexenbiest.

I have no issue with making Juliette a hexenbiest. At the very least she was still Juliette. But then the creative team decided to take everything away from her.

I'm not talking about Nick. She can do without him. Women leave men all the time.

What I am talking about is the essence of Juliette. Her life. Her career. Her likes. Her dislikes. Instead they turned Eve into basically a soldier. She was wooden, she was manlike, hell, there wasn't even the charismatic hexenbiest about her. As I said before, then they went even further and turned her into a man.

While the rest of the characters retained their true selves that cannot be said about Juliette.

(03-01-2017, 10:29 PM)Nicholas White Wrote: [ -> ]They barely focused on Nick and Adalind having a baby together. We get about 4x+ scenes involving Eve than we get of Kelly.

No, they focused on Adalind's character. They made her softer, more feminine. She was the damsel in distress who worried about her hexenbiest coming back. That alone would endear her to Nick, especially since we saw how he viewed Juliette's hexenbiest. Then they gave her a baby. Nick's baby. He and the scoobies aren't able to resist that.

They completely tore down Juliette and made her a mannish soldier. Adalind on the other hand was given more feminine qualities, a softer side, and a baby. It's not just Nick they're doing this for. They want to make her more appealing to the viewing public.

In doing so they did a major, major injustice to Juliette.

First off Adalind barely had any screen time in the second half of Season 4 and Season 5/6. Thus the point is mute. Adalind character development has nothing to do with Juilette. Adalind character was more popular than Juilette's character. So there was no point in trying to make her character more appealing as people already loved her character.

People shipped Nadalind way before Adalind became pregnant. That is a huge reason Nadalind was put together. It was a popular ship already no need for the writers to sale it to people when people were already sold on it. The Ship was already sold to the audience which is why they did it.

Second off the ratings didn't plummet in Season 4. Each season the ratings go down on average. That happens to all shows. The Average episode in Season 3 brought in about mid 5 million. Before the Juilette Hexenbiest storyline the ratings were on Average low 5 million in season 4. From there the second half of the season dropped to high-mid 4 millions.

So the Hexen Juilette storyline wasn't done to improve ratings when during that storyline ratings dropped. Not to say it was because of the Storyline just making a point that Juilette storyline wasn't done to increase ratings.

Overall that has happened to every supernatural show with the last 10 years or so. Quality of writing has little to do with it. People simply get bored, move on with life/New activities, or simply forget about the show.

Once upon a time from season 1 to Season 5 had a 5.39 million viewer decline overall.

Agents of shield from Season 1 to Season 3 had a decrease of 2.79 Million viewers overall.

Constantine had a .98 million viewer Decrease from episode 1 to episode 13.

Emerald City had a 2.13 million viewer Decrease from Episode 1 to Episode 9.

Sleepy hollow had a 3.78 million viewer Decrease overall from Season 1 to season 3.

Supernatural had a 1.54 viewer decrease overall from season 1 to season 11.

Vampire diaries had a 2.11 viewer Decrease overall from season 1 to season 7.

The originals had a 1.17 million viewer decrease from season 1 to season 3.

Izombie had a .83 overall viewer decrease from season 1 to season 2.

Supergirl from Season 1 episode 1 to season 1 episode 20 had a 6.85 million viewer decrease overall.

Grimm had a 1.61 million viewer increase from Season 1 to 3 and a 2 Million viewer Decrease from season 3 to 5.

Point being is that shows of similar genre has also had a decrease in viewership as the seasons go on. That is just the nature of how these things go.

So next time somebody tells themselves the show is losing ratings because of the writing or direction it is going in, they need to take a look at how other shows of the same genre is doing. You might think a little differently.
I never thought Juliette should've accepted it. She had a great reason for turning it down. Juliette didn't even need a good reason as far I'm concerned. No one should accept a proposal if they don't want to and shouldn't care about upsetting the other person. It's too important a commitment to make just to appease someone. I think they should've went their separate ways after the cat-scratch fever but that had more to do with Nick than Juliette.

I understand that they thought they could make it through once Juliette discovered the wesen world. It still bugs me that Nick only decided to come clean with her once her life was in danger. Someone who only shares something big they've been hiding from you only when your life is threatened isn't someone you should spend the rest of your life with IMO. Especially since Juliette was already threatened twice due to him being a Grimm and she didn't know why.

However, Juliette is a grown woman and she decided to be with him after finding out the truth. It wouldn't be right to just put all the blame on Nick after that happened. She's capable of making her own decisions and it ended up not turning out well for her which isn't only on Nick.
Aunt Marie was right and her words were very prophetic because the absolute worst happened to Juliette. She should have left Nick the moment she had doubts and tuned him down. Her first instincts could have saved her life but for some reason they were under the misguided notion that love conquers all but their love was never enough to patch the brokenness that slowly crept up between them the day his aunt told him he was a Grimm.
(03-02-2017, 09:24 AM)Nicholas White Wrote: [ -> ][quote='irukandji' pid='47857' dateline='1488458800']
[quote='Nicholas White' pid='47838' dateline='1488432582']

Overall that has happened to every supernatural show with the last 10 years or so. Quality of writing has little to do with it. People simply get bored, move on with life/New activities, or simply forget about the show.

Once Upon a Time from season 1 to Season 5 had a 5.39 million viewer decline overall.

Agents of Shield from Season 1 to Season 3 had a decrease of 2.79 Million viewers overall.

Constantine had a .98 million viewer Decrease from episode 1 to episode 13.

Emerald City had a 2.13 million viewer Decrease from Episode 1 to Episode 9.

Sleepy Hollow had a 3.78 million viewer Decrease overall from Season 1 to season 3.

Supernatural had a 1.54 viewer decrease overall from season 1 to season 11.

Vampire Diaries had a 2.11 viewer Decrease overall from season 1 to season 7.

The Originals had a 1.17 million viewer decrease from season 1 to season 3.

IZombie had a .83 overall viewer decrease from season 1 to season 2.

Supergirl from Season 1 episode 1 to season 1 episode 20 had a 6.85 million viewer decrease overall.

Grimm had a 1.61 million viewer increase from Season 1 to 3 and a 2 Million viewer Decrease from season 3 to 5.

Point being is that shows of similar genre has also had a decrease in viewership as the seasons go on. That is just the nature of how these things go.

So next time somebody tells themselves the show is losing ratings because of the writing or direction it is going in, they need to take a look at how other shows of the same genre is doing. You might think a little differently.

I agree that's pretty much the norm for the network shows. Pretty much all of them decrease regardless of quality. The cable shows see increases primarily due to the shortened seasons and less censorship otherwise they would decrease as well.

Of the show on that list that I watch, only OUAT and Grimm have had a noticeable drop in quality. Shipping has done OUAT no favors.

Supergirl was definitely better in the latter half of season 1 than it was during its handful of episodes. AOS and IZombie are among the best shows of the genre and their ratings fell. AOS has consistently been great since Winter Soldier was released, the most recent episode was phenomenal, while IZombie has been great from the start although I think it always struggled to find an audience and the name probably made people avoid it. Selfie, another good show, had the same problem.

Of the cable shows, GOT's writing has gone to crap and isn't nearly as good as it was for the first years. Yet, the ratings for that show keep increasing. They're coasting off the quality of earlier seasons.

If people want to argue about the quality of GOT, I'll use Dexter as example instead. That show got worse for the latter half of its run and a lot of viewers will tell you the same. It's ratings still increased every year with the last season getting the highest in Showtime's history. Ask anyone who watched the final season about its quality. Even the actors and writers seem embarrassed by it.
(03-02-2017, 09:24 AM)Nicholas White Wrote: [ -> ]People shipped Nadalind way before Adalind became pregnant. That is a huge reason Nadalind was put together. It was a popular ship already no need for the writers to sale it to people when people were already sold on it. The Ship was already sold to the audience which is why they did it.

Let me point out another quote of yours:

Quote:The idea of making Juilette a Hexenbiest wasn't done to make the show more interesting as the show was good in that department. It was to make Bitsie character Juilette more interesting to those who found her character boring and useless.

First off, I don't recall any figures anywhere showing that the Nick/Adalind ship was so much more popular than the Nick/Juliette ship.

And *if* that's the case, then I don't know why the creative team waited until season 5 to put them together.

Also, the idea of making Juliette a hexenbiest was more than likely planned way ahead of time and not, as you put it, to make Juliette more interesting to those who found her character boring and useless.

The ratings for Grimm have never been outstanding. That is one of the reasons why it's been a staple on Friday nights. It's managed to hold a small audience but that's as far as it goes. There are hundreds of millions of people who could watch the program that do not.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44