Grimm Forum

Full Version: Injustice done to the Juliette's character in Grimm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
A popular ship has never meant the writers would put the ship together, look at Skyeward on AoS or Bamon or Bonkai on TVD.
(03-02-2017, 10:13 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Also, the idea of making Juliette a hexenbiest was more than likely planned way ahead of time and not, as you put it, to make Juliette more interesting to those who found her character boring and useless.

David G and Bitsie Tulloch were dating by the end of season 3. During the summer between 3 and 4 David G. was dropping hints that something very surprising was going to be happening to Juliette as a side effect of helping Nick get his Grimm back. This was before Claire Coffee got pregnant from July to August that summer.
(03-02-2017, 10:23 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: [ -> ]A popular ship has never meant the writers would put the ship together, look at Skyeward on AoS or Bamon or Bonkai on TVD.

Nick and Juliette was just as popular as Nick and Adalind. There are no figures out there stating one was more favored over the other.

(03-02-2017, 09:02 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2017, 08:22 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Just as a general observation, I get the impression from many here that Juliette should have accepted Nick's proposal. Why do you all feel that way?

Many women conditionally accept engagements without a date and take the ring yet say we have issues to work on before we can pick a date. Juliette could have suggested marriage counseling to deal with her issues with Nick hiding stuff from her. I had marriage counseling through my church that my husband and I found helpful. If Juliette and Nick never worked out their differences at least they both would have felt they tried their best and then left each other

But Nick was hiding things from her and dishonesty is a very good reason not to marry a man. It seems to me she made the right decision in refusing to marry him.
(03-02-2017, 10:28 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2017, 10:23 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: [ -> ]A popular ship has never meant the writers would put the ship together, look at Skyeward on AoS or Bamon or Bonkai on TVD.

Nick and Juliette was just as popular as Nick and Adalind. There are no figures out there stating one was more favored over the other.

(03-02-2017, 09:02 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-02-2017, 08:22 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Just as a general observation, I get the impression from many here that Juliette should have accepted Nick's proposal. Why do you all feel that way?

Many women conditionally accept engagements without a date and take the ring yet say we have issues to work on before we can pick a date. Juliette could have suggested marriage counseling to deal with her issues with Nick hiding stuff from her. I had marriage counseling through my church that my husband and I found helpful. If Juliette and Nick never worked out their differences at least they both would have felt they tried their best and then left each other

But Nick was hiding things from her and dishonesty is a very good reason not to marry a man. It seems to me she made the right decision in refusing to marry him.

I would have been fine with her refusing to marry him but she said I will marry you someday not now and gave him back the ring. How are things supposed to get better with this type of issue without counseling?
Counseling IMO would helped them see that the life as a grimm cop as he wanted was not the life that Juliette wanted and they could split on good terms.

Juliette, will you be my wife?
I can't. I love you so much. And I really, really want to marry you someday. But I can't right now.
Because of what?
I'm a cop? Is that...
It's not because of your job. It's... you. I feel like you've been keeping things from me. You've been so closed off. I know how hard Aunt Marie's death was for you. But until you can let me back in again... I can't say yes.

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/v...74&t=14625
(03-02-2017, 10:28 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ][quote='rpmaluki' pid='47882' dateline='1488475395']
A popular ship has never meant the writers would put the ship together, look at Skyeward on AoS or Bamon or Bonkai on TVD.

This is a genuine question that I have for the forum. Does shipping actually have figures that can prove what couple is preferred over the other? I don't know if that can actually be done but I don't think it would matter even it were since shippers make up such a small fraction of the audience. Most people probably don't care who Nick is with as long as he's kicking ass.

I do remember the first time I discovered shipping wars and those things were more brutal than I could ever imagine. It was House/Cuddy vs. House/Cameron. I didn't even know House had those type of communities and I can't tell you which one was more popular. All I know is that I couldn't stand Cuddy as a character and the show promoted her to its detriment but I'm sure there are fans who would disagree.

I did watch Community and I'm certain that Jeff/Annie had more fans than Jeff/Britta but that show wasn't heavy on romance and Jeff never actually hooked up with Annie.

I find it weird that writers will let themselves be influenced by shippers, even though I'm certain that it happens, because they make up such a miniscule part of the audience. I can see a show like TVD doing it because that's such a heavy part of the show from inception but other shows doing it is quite strange.

Shipping often doesn't have anything to do with the narrative. That's why so much slash slipping exists. Fans want to pair characters who aren't even gay and get legitimately angry and go as far as calling the writers cowards if they don't get their way.

I think a lot of Nick/Adalind fans saw the attraction but never expected them to get together. I honestly thought Juliette as Adalind was the closest we would ever get until she got pregnant with Kelly. Although, there were fans who were calling it as early as season 2 so they had better eyes than I did.
(03-02-2017, 10:38 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]I would have been fine with her refusing to marry him but she said I will marry you someday not now and gave him back the ring. How are things supposed to get better with this type of issue without counseling?
Counseling IMO would helped them see that the life as a grimm cop as he wanted was not the life that Juliette wanted and they could split on good terms.

Juliette, will you be my wife?
I can't. I love you so much. And I really, really want to marry you someday. But I can't right now.
Because of what?
I'm a cop? Is that...
It's not because of your job. It's... you. I feel like you've been keeping things from me. You've been so closed off. I know how hard Aunt Marie's death was for you. But until you can let me back in again... I can't say yes.

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/v...74&t=14625

I can't fault her honesty, Mary. She said she couldn't say yes until she felt Nick could let her back in again. I don't think she ever felt he took her to that level of trust. If you notice, he never asked her to marry him again. He may have been saying it without saying it that he couldn't take her to that level of trust.
(03-02-2017, 10:28 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Nick and Juliette was just as popular as Nick and Adalind. There are no figures out there stating one was more favored over the other.
I wasn't comparing the popularity of Nick's pairings. You asked why the writers didn't put Nick and Adalind together if they were so popular and that was my answer. In any case, it's not about number because those don't tell the real truth about who was popular. Internet fandom communities tend to be about who's the most visible/loudest in pushing their favourite. Nick and Adalind only came together several episodes after S5. Grimm writers have never been swayed one way or another, look at Juliette's character the least favourite among fans since the very beginning and she's still getting more story than the actual lead because the writers couldn't be bothered with what's popular. They do whatever they want.

(03-02-2017, 10:51 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]I can't fault her honesty, Mary. She said she couldn't say yes until she felt Nick could let her back in again. I don't think she ever felt he took her to that level of trust. If you notice, he never asked her to marry him again. He may have been saying it without saying it that he couldn't take her to that level of trust.
Wasn't he on the verge of asking her again when his mother showed up with Adalind and baby Diana?
(03-02-2017, 10:53 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't comparing the popularity of Nick's pairings. You asked why the writers didn't put Nick and Adalind together if they were so popular and that was my answer.

I may have misunderstood. So you were answering the question I posed to Nicholas then, correct? If so, sorry for the miscommunication. I didn't see the question in the quotes so I thought you were making a general statement.
(03-02-2017, 10:28 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Nick and Juliette was just as popular as Nick and Adalind. There are no figures out there stating one was more favored over the other.

NBC does facebook polls on it. The last one was done last week of December 2016. It was 65% Nick and Adalind vs 35% Nick and Juliette for about 30K votes. They took it down since then.

I think the actress once she was David G girlfriend was interest in trying something different. Elizabeth Tulloch has done many interviews saying she loves to change her character every year.
(03-02-2017, 10:53 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: [ -> ]Wasn't he on the verge of asking her again when his mother showed up with Adalind and baby Diana?

He may have been. But if he was expecting Juliette to clue into what he was going to do and shout out "yes", then he's a fool.

(03-02-2017, 11:00 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]

NBC does facebook polls on it. The last one was done last week of December 2016. It was 65% Nick and Adalind vs 35% Nick and Juliette for about 30K votes. They took it down since then.

I think the actress once she was David G girlfriend was interest in trying something different. Elizabeth Tulloch has done many interviews saying she loves to change her character every year.

Would you really rely on that poll for accurate figures, Mary?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44