Grimm Forum

Full Version: Did Adalind raped Nick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'd say the intros Nick and Josh got to the world of Grimms were both examples of why nondisclosure to family was a really bad idea whether the rest of the family was Grimm or not.
Marie kept Nick at arms length, unlike the advice she gave Nick regarding Juliette, she couldn't complete sever ties with her nephew when she promised his mother that she would look after him. She did enough for him to reach adulthood when they'd both be free to live their lives as she determined. She chose how close (or not) to Nick she was.
You all don't realize it, but you're continuing to prove my point. Excusing Nick by stating he didn't know doesn't excuse him one bit. He should have made it his business to know. She was his mother for a time, his *only* family. That's what I'm saying.

Aside from that, by choosing not to involve himself in his aunt's life, that doesn't prove one iota that this man is going to be the different type of Grimm, the one who stands out. All it shows is that he's willing to ignore family for his own purposes. He didn't even bother telling Juliette about Marie until the woman was dying.

That's deplorable.
(04-16-2017, 09:23 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]You all don't realize it, but you're continuing to prove my point. Excusing Nick by stating he didn't know doesn't excuse him one bit. He should have made it his business to know. She was his mother for a time, his *only* family. That's what I'm saying.

I agree with you that the show here makes Nick look both selfish and not to bright.
(04-16-2017, 09:47 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2017, 09:23 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]You all don't realize it, but you're continuing to prove my point. Excusing Nick by stating he didn't know doesn't excuse him one bit. He should have made it his business to know. She was his mother for a time, his *only* family. That's what I'm saying.

I agree with you that the show here makes Nick look both selfish and not to bright.

Thanks, Mary.

Aside from that, by choosing not to involve himself in his aunt's life, that doesn't prove one iota that this man is going to be the different type of Grimm, the one who stands out. All it shows is that he's willing to ignore family for his own purposes. He didn't even bother telling Juliette about Marie until the woman was dying.

That's deplorable.

How do you make it your business to know something you have no pretense for? Nick has lived apart from Marie for the better part of a decade by this point. Given her itinerant lifestyle and emotional distance, what could he have done? Does he track her down and forcibly drive her back to Portland? If she is dismissive of the seriousness of her illness, does he force himself into the situation, assuming she's lying? Nick's life is settled at this point. Some part of Marie probably hoped he would never become a Grimm, and therefore remain free and clear. Keeping herself distanced from his orbit was her way of abiding by the same code she thought Nick should adopt. Pinning her down has probably proven difficult over the years. Marie had to make the choice to come to Portland when she felt good and ready. There was no way for Nick to force the issue. And as to whether Nick was emotive enough when confronted with Marie's condition, the truth is, they're a fairly taciturn family. Heck, I'd even say that Nick is probably the most emotionally forthcoming of the lot. I have my doubts that an exceptional amount of quality time was spent between Nick and Marie over the years. It's never been their nature to be particularly expressive with each other. The point of his path at the end, is to show a desire to pull away from such isolating behavior.
(04-16-2017, 11:16 AM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]How do you make it your business to know something you have no pretense for? Nick has lived apart from Marie for the better part of a decade by this point. Given her itinerant lifestyle and emotional distance, what could he have done? Does he track her down and forcibly drive her back to Portland? If she is dismissive of the seriousness of her illness, does he force himself into the situation, assuming she's lying? Nick's life is settled at this point. Some part of Marie probably hoped he would never become a Grimm, and therefore remain free and clear. Keeping herself distanced from his orbit was her way of abiding by the same code she thought Nick should adopt. Pinning her down has probably proven difficult over the years. Marie had to make the choice to come to Portland when she felt good and ready. There was no way for Nick to force the issue. And as to whether Nick was emotive enough when confronted with Marie's condition, the truth is, they're a fairly taciturn family. Heck, I'd even say that Nick is probably the most emotionally forthcoming of the lot. I have my doubts that an exceptional amount of quality time was spent between Nick and Marie over the years. It's never been their nature to be particularly expressive with each other. The point of his path at the end, is to show a desire to pull away from such isolating behavior.

Shrugs. There is no *pretense*. I'm just trying to understand how Nick is supposed to be this different type of Grimm, this person who is supposedly about more than just his own personal welfare. The fact is, Marie did act as his mother. Does he bother caring about her, regardless, or choose to ignore her?

If he choses to ignore her, how then is he any different from any of the other Grimms, including Marie herself?
(04-16-2017, 11:16 AM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]How do you make it your business to know something you have no pretense for? Nick has lived apart from Marie for the better part of a decade by this point. Given her itinerant lifestyle and emotional distance, what could he have done? Does he track her down and forcibly drive her back to Portland? If she is dismissive of the seriousness of her illness, does he force himself into the situation, assuming she's lying? Nick's life is settled at this point. Some part of Marie probably hoped he would never become a Grimm, and therefore remain free and clear. Keeping herself distanced from his orbit was her way of abiding by the same code she thought Nick should adopt. Pinning her down has probably proven difficult over the years. Marie had to make the choice to come to Portland when she felt good and ready. There was no way for Nick to force the issue. And as to whether Nick was emotive enough when confronted with Marie's condition, the truth is, they're a fairly taciturn family. Heck, I'd even say that Nick is probably the most emotionally forthcoming of the lot. I have my doubts that an exceptional amount of quality time was spent between Nick and Marie over the years. It's never been their nature to be particularly expressive with each other. The point of his path at the end, is to show a desire to pull away from such isolating behavior.

Nick had not told Juliette much about Marie which is odd.

http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Pilot/Transcript

Juliette: How long did you live with Marie?
Nick: She was my mother from the time I was 12.
Juliette: After your parents died?
Nick: Yeah.
Juliette: You didn't live in that trailer, did you?
Nick: I didn't know she had it.
I've never know families to act in a uniform way across the board. Grimms have dysfunctional lives and I imagine over the years, they had dysfunctional families as a result. What I don't understand is why the onus is on Nick to act correctly as a child in the family he was raised by a Grimm whose idea of a life was that of isolation. Nick is a product of his mother and aunt at the beginning of the show. Marie tries to instruct him to continue down the same path that she and Kelly have lived most of Nick's life. Nick learnt the hard way that both his "mothers" were wrong. Complete separation from family (and friends) didn't make Nick a better grimm. It would have made him a cold and unfeeling person with the kind of wesen exposure he had at the very beginning. Nick made mistakes at the beginning yes but he made them because he wasn't given all of the facts, that's Marie and Kelly's fault. He's changing that, he's been changing that since the night he met Monroe.
(04-16-2017, 11:32 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]

Shrugs. There is no *pretense*. I'm just trying to understand how Nick is supposed to be this different type of Grimm, this person who is supposedly about more than just his own personal welfare. The fact is, Marie did act as his mother. Does he bother caring about her, regardless, or choose to ignore her?

If he choses to ignore her, how then is he any different from any of the other Grimms, including Marie herself?

We don't have any reason to think he ignored her. But they simply weren't close after he left home. This is as much because of Marie's choice to distance herself as anything. If she had chosen to live nearby and maintain a tight family bond, he could have reciprocated. But their contact has been sporadic. Acting as his mother doesn't mean she was a particularly nurturing presence. Nick was suffering through a lot as he reached his teenage years. Pain and loss would have marked much of those six or so years they spent together. Given their stoic natures, much of this would have been pensive and recalcitrant. After he left home and Marie hit the road, it wasn't a matter of ignoring each other. There was a gulf between them. One Nick couldn't have really understood, without knowledge she refused to impart. Nick still had that distance from his past in his relationship with Juliette. None of it was pleasant to him, so he internalized it. This doesn't make for a healthy relationship, but it's just where he was at that time. But surprisingly, people get to change. It can take a lot of time, and cause a lot of turmoil along the way, but it does happen. Nick's not the same guy at the end. Does it matter who he was at the beginning?