Grimm Forum

Full Version: Did Adalind raped Nick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(04-15-2017, 10:25 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me… Wasn’t the main, if not only, purpose of the council to prevent and address activity/behavior that would expose the Wesen population to humans? It had nothing to do with protecting individual rights/freedom, due process, etc, etc. If the council couldn’t keep a Wesen in line, agents were dispatched to permanently deal with them. From what I saw, current day Wesen were dealing with age old issues because instead of governing themselves and developing social rules & laws, they only concerned themselves with concealing their existence.

The WC acted whenever wesen committed acts that threatened to expose the existence of wesen to the kehrseite world. WC did not act when wesen threatened or abused other wesen. WC also did not act when kehrseite authorities arrested, tried, convicted and imposed sentence on wesen, as we saw from the wesen in the OR state prison. And WC did not act to protect wesen from Grimm, so long as the Grimm were not attempting to interfere with the WC. So as long as all wesen involved in any situation remained "underground," as far as WC was concerned the laws of whatever countries they lived in took precedent.

Another "authority related" thing. We learned in S04 and S05 that the US govt knew about wesen and Grimms. The govt also did not act to interfere, and when they finally approached Nick and Trubel they attempted to recruit them to HW. Their approach was, "we need your help," not, "join us or be arrested for your crimes," and they kept hands off Nick's activities.

In the 1600s, the royals who were the kehrseite govts of the time, the WC and the Grimms signed on to charters dictating how certain aspects of wesen/kehrseite/grimm activity were to be handled. It appears that the modern govts that have taken the place of the royals are still adhering to these charters. Which means the WC keeps wesen in line, Grimms are the unofficially empowered authority in wesen-kehrseite conflicts, and my guess is that modern govts take steps to ensure that any kehrseite who starts making noise about seeing people turn into animals will be treated as if he/she is mentally ill and not taken seriously.
(04-14-2017, 05:48 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-13-2017, 07:48 AM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]As to the risk of danger intruding on their home lives, Diana and Kelly will always face some threat, by the simple virtue of their origin.

Wouldn't that be a reason to sway them away from the grimm life, rather than encouraging them to participate?

No. It's a reason to prepare them. I know that in this age of helicopter parenting, the prevailing instinct is to protect kids to such a profound degree, that they become infantilized adults, but Diana and Kelly need to be fully educated on the worlds hard truths. Whether they take up the mantle or not, they must possess the tools to make a well informed choice. And Diana is a great example of the saying, "With great power, comes great responsibility." She must learn what she's capable of and decide how she's going to use that power.

(04-13-2017, 07:48 AM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]Diana will always be some prophetic wunderkind with Royal heritage. Kelly will always be born of Grimm and Hexenbeist. A combination so rare that for all we know, he could be the first. Groups like the Royal family or Black Claw may always have designs on these children, no matter where they go.
(04-14-2017, 05:48 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]The way I understand it, there is no Black Claw. However, I don't think grimms or hexenbiests would look kindly on a grimm/hexenbiest hybrid. I'm not so sure Kelly has grimm powers, but I would suspect if he does, they would be considerably weakened by the zauerbiest part of him. So Nick's enemies might look upon him as a way to get revenge on his father.

I said groups "like" Black Claw. There will always be some repeating variation on that concept. It's the nature of zealotry. And we have no idea what result may come from the combination of Grimm and Hexenbeist bloodlines. The Grimm aspect may override other possibilities. There could be a blending of the two. If Kelly is writing in the Grimm journals, it seems likely that he's become one. Perhaps quite recently. The acceleration of his gift may be a result of Adalind's genetic influence. The writers made allusions to the fact that Kelly was, in fact, a Grimm. And from a thematic standpoint, it makes sense that he would be so. As this represents Nick's legacy, it would be odd for Kelly not to be a Grimm at this point. The epilogue could have just as easily said 18 years later or 23 years later. Twenty, was a nice round number. It put Kelly at his 21st year and full adulthood. And it shows him documenting an important story from his childhood, perhaps his first entry in the Grimm Journals. This is all meant to represent his ascension to Grimhhood and furtherance of that tradition.

(04-13-2017, 07:48 AM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]If Adalind took them to a shack in North Dakota, and performed some protection spell, it's no guarantee that danger wouldn't find them. And if it did, she would be alone in trying to save them.
(04-14-2017, 05:48 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Why would she be alone in trying to save them?

Because, following this narrative, she would have isolated herself and the children from all things Grimm and Wesen, avoiding all contact with the past. She would be alone, because she's to far away to ask for assistance. Given the supposition that all things Grimm are bad, you must then assume that the kids must be kept from all things Grimm. Which also means, by association, all things Wesen. If you take into consideration, the fact that these kids will always remain appealing to certain nefarious types, then they would need to be isolated, if they cannot be permitted to stay inside a larger, protective, familial circle. You've yet to explain how you might manage this in a way that's beneficial in the long run, but conjecture is always easy when you don't have to back it up.

(04-13-2017, 07:48 AM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]On the matter of a perceived contradiction between Nick's identity as both Grimm and Detective, I would say that they're two sides of the same coin. Both mean a great deal to him. And both sides rely on the other, in order for him to be the best at what he does. Certainly he knows less about being a Grimm, but it's a learning process. So much of the Wesen world and Grimm history is steeped in mystery and obscured by the mists of time. But he's miles away from where he started. At the end, he's fully aware of what that legacy represents.

(04-14-2017, 05:48 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]That's only because you see the grimm legacy as something good. But is it really? Consider this. Nick has no time honored procedures to follow as a grimm. You said he's learning. Learning from whom? He's freed wesen and killed wesen. He considers himself judge, jury and executioner. He's not above torture to get what he wants.

Law enforcement officers take an oath to protect the public. That doesn't mean just humans, it means everyone.

You really should start a thread called "What's the point of Grimm? Why don't we just go watch Law & Order?". The show is called Grimm! If you can't even get behind the concept of the series, what's the friggin' point! Were you mistakenly under the impression that the theme over these last six seasons was, "Grimms are pointless and they should all just go away." Maybe you also wondered why there always had to be these stupid Wesen around, screwing up your well ordered sense of the justice system. It makes you wonder why they never make procedurals about ordinary people and leave out the monsters. (That was sarcasm, by the way)

Nick is learning by doing. It's the only way he can. He reads the journals for a better understanding of history. He uses the Wesen he knows for insight into whatever he's dealing with at the moment. The experience he gains informs the decisions he makes in the future. His mandate to protect the public is part of both the cop and Grimm sides of his identity. But, since there is no law that could function as an instruction manual for his Grimm duties, he must apply both in different manners. When the legal system has no apparatus in place to judge Wesen fairly, what can be done? How do you deal with a killer tree? What about a giant rat monster? Zombies? What was the logical outcome of all Nick's cases if he wasn't there in his capacity as a Grimm? Nobody ever said he always made the right call, but he's made the best ones he knew how.

(04-13-2017, 07:48 AM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]As having a police force is a requirement for a civil society, so to is the presence of the Grimm for maintaining Wesen stability. So many of Nick's cases would have gone unsolved or ended more tragically had Nick not been both cop and Grimm. The Grimm may not have a governing body, but their judgement and sense of morality is the final arbiter of justice on that side of the fence. And with the council in disarray, he's needed more than ever. In many ways, Wesen society is the Wild West. It's too culturally divisive and mercurial to ever have an all encompassing form of jurisprudence. And the Wesen secret must be protected, because it would be anarchy if it were ever widely known. Nick, maybe more than any Grimm before him, is in a perfect position to maintain that balance. His work is important. Not least of which, because he may be changing the future by ushering in a new methodology. He doesn't need to know everything about the Grimm and the things they've done, to see what they might be able to become.
(04-14-2017, 05:48 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]It's my belief that the vast majority of wesen that are in Portland immigrated to the US because they hold the same beliefs as their human peers. In other words, they appreciate the freedoms that the US offers but at the same time respect that there is a law in place.

Nick isn't really needed and he certainly doesn't maintain any balance. It would be illogical not to mention unbelievable to think that human law enforcement isn't able to apprehend and incarcerate wesen.

Most of the Wesen in Portland are simply Americans. There identity as immigrants is somewhat diluted, as it is for most people, several generations down the line. Certainly those law abiding Wesen respect our system of justice. But they also have cultural idiosyncrasies and behavioral abnormalities that fall outside what could be considered lawful. The Grimm is the arbiter because he sits apart from both worlds. Neither a normal human or a Wesen, the Grimm is meant to be the balance of both societies. We learned that all Grimm descended from one individual. This speaks to a divine influence. An individual, meant to pass down a legacy of defense, placed in that precise position. Put there to offer balance. The world was a much more chaotic place then. In this day and age, with a system of law in place, Nick must use both to inform his choices. But there can be no governing body to command the Grimm, because they are unto themselves. Unless the Grimm decided to form there own council. They can seek guidance or fall under the sway of an external power, like the council or Hadrian's Wall. But they will always remain self determining. The fact that Nick is seeking a more open notion of what the Grimm does, means he is pulling that legacy out of the lone wolf mentality that dominated the past. Some of those law abiding Wesen, like Bud, have actually sought him out for assistance with Wesen matters. This indicates that they themselves realize there are some troubles that the justice system is ill equipped to understand.
(04-15-2017, 11:58 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]The WC acted whenever wesen committed acts that threatened to expose the existence of wesen to the kehrseite world. WC did not act when wesen threatened or abused other wesen. WC also did not act when kehrseite authorities arrested, tried, convicted and imposed sentence on wesen, as we saw from the wesen in the OR state prison. And WC did not act to protect wesen from Grimm, so long as the Grimm were not attempting to interfere with the WC. So as long as all wesen involved in any situation remained "underground," as far as WC was concerned the laws of whatever countries they lived in took precedent.

Another "authority related" thing. We learned in S04 and S05 that the US govt knew about wesen and Grimms. The govt also did not act to interfere, and when they finally approached Nick and Trubel they attempted to recruit them to HW. Their approach was, "we need your help," not, "join us or be arrested for your crimes," and they kept hands off Nick's activities.

In the 1600s, the royals who were the kehrseite govts of the time, the WC and the Grimms signed on to charters dictating how certain aspects of wesen/kehrseite/grimm activity were to be handled. It appears that the modern govts that have taken the place of the royals are still adhering to these charters. Which means the WC keeps wesen in line, Grimms are the unofficially empowered authority in wesen-kehrseite conflicts, and my guess is that modern govts take steps to ensure that any kehrseite who starts making noise about seeing people turn into animals will be treated as if he/she is mentally ill and not taken seriously.
Thanks, FitC. I didn’t see whichever episodes covered the charters, but vaguely remember someone mentioning it on the forum. And I appreciated that G & K took a more realistic approach in S5 that the human population government - at least those at the highest security level - were aware of Wesen & Grimm.

(04-15-2017, 12:09 PM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]You really should start a thread called "What's the point of Grimm? Why don't we just go watch Law & Order?". The show is called Grimm! If you can't even get behind the concept of the series, what's the friggin' point!
I have to disagree with this. Interesting discussions require more than positive comments by like minded contributors. irukandji takes exception to much of the show, but that’s not the same as being anti-Grimm. If the characters and their actions were inconsequential, she or any viewer with a negative reaction wouldn’t care enough to discuss it.

(04-15-2017, 11:32 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: [ -> ]I agree about Hank and Wu but with Rosalee and Monroe, that is too much to expect. To them, a Grimm only lived to do one thing and nothing else until Nick showed up. It's never been about the law when you consider the history between wesen and Grimms. There's an episode where Monroe even implores Nick to go all "decaptare"on some wesen because applying Nick's almost PC way doing things wasn't enough in the situation they faces.

I don't think we can apply our way of things to the show's universe. A lot of what Nick did since day one is deplorable by our real world standards but in this world, Grimms were supposedly serving a higher calling, of being the shield in the dark between wesen and kehrseite whether we agreed or not. There are things that are permissible on TV that we would rail against in real life. And Grimms are such things, as much as authority in say the Marvel universe is seen/depicted as the ultimate evil that must be defeated. Or vampires are seen as good guys etc.
I don’t understand why that would expect too much of Monroe and Rosalee. Actually, based on their characterization, always acquiescing to Grimm law and human law seemed out of character, especially Rosalee who can be quite assertive with her opinions.

The tree monster episode is an example - Monroe’s opinion of the entity and it’s intent opposed Nick, Hank, and Wu. But instead of the show having Monroe stand on principle and bow out of the effort to draw it out and kill it, it instead placed Rosalee in danger which caused Monroe to immediately want the thing killed.

Another example is the Wesen dementia episode - Monroe & Rosalee understood what was happening and the doctor’s role in helping the patients and their families deal with it. Rosalee could have discussed Nick’s investigation with the doctor and asked him to meet with Nick. But instead, the show had her deceive the doctor so that Nick could meet with him without a respectful request.

What point is the show attempting to make? Maybe there’s not a point, but rather, G & K taking the quickest & easiest route from point A to B and not bothering with how the Wesen characters think & feel.

(04-15-2017, 11:34 AM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, My dope smokin', bed hopping, financially unstable acquaintances adamantly defend their lifestyle choices despite the havoc it has caused in their persona lives and the devastating impact it has had on their children and find reinforcement for their beliefs in their normative social circles.

Cut to the Grimm crew, I do not find it surprising that a group of societal degenerates would support each others social deviancy and hold up aspects of it as a badge of honor.
I wasn’t making a moral judgment, but only suggesting the show elevates Grimm above all others. It’s archaic and totalitarian, but nothing much has changed in the Grimm/Wesen world. And unless it does, active Grimm will want and expect their Grimm children to follow tradition.
The show only elevates Grimms because it's called "Grimm" and has one as its main character. If it had been called "Hadrian's Wall," Meisner would have been main character and Grimms would have been one agent and one outsider who the team keeps trying to recruit. And if it had been called "Monroe," then Monroe would have been like Sherlock Holmes and Nick would have been the ignorant police inspector who keeps having to call upon the brilliant consulting Blutbad for advice on all things wesen. And they could have used all the same stories and just tweaked the scenes and dialog to change the POVs (except they probably wouldn't have killed Meisner if he had been the lead character).

Context is everything.
(04-15-2017, 02:26 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ](except they probably wouldn't have killed Meisner if he had been the lead character).
*chuckle* At the time, I didn’t really care that he was killed, but that he can’t be in a future spin-off or reboot except as a ghost is disappointing.

Quote:The show only elevates Grimms because it's called "Grimm" and has one as its main character.
Well, that’s pretty much a given. My point was that within the context of the show Grimm are elevated to the highest status. And with that, an active Grimm isn’t likely to discourage his/her children from following tradition.

Although, I would probably enjoyed Silas Weir Mitchell in more prominent role, but not necessarily the lead. He was great in his role as it was, but Mitchell has a lot to offer that was under utilized.
(04-15-2017, 12:09 PM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]You really should start a thread called "What's the point of Grimm? Why don't we just go watch Law & Order?". The show is called Grimm! If you can't even get behind the concept of the series, what's the friggin' point! Were you mistakenly under the impression that the theme over these last six seasons was, "Grimms are pointless and they should all just go away." Maybe you also wondered why there always had to be these stupid Wesen around, screwing up your well ordered sense of the justice system. It makes you wonder why they never make procedurals about ordinary people and leave out the monsters. (That was sarcasm, by the way)

Contrary to your own popular belief, there are people out here who don't necessarily share your opinion that everything about Grimm is warm and fuzzy. Also contrary to your own inflated sense of self, no one has to answer to you as to why they don't post threads according to your suggestions.

One of the reasons I liked this forum is because we are free to post what we want. The moderators here are great, objective, and welcome all points of view. Most of the time I have been able to enjoy that freedom, with the exception of a select few who are under the impression that everyone must think as they do, say what they say, act like clones, all of the time, 24/7.

When they don't, then they're plagued with such intelligent statements like, "If you think being a Grimm is nonsense, then I question why you even care about the show."

By the way because I know you missed it, that was sarcasm.

I don't know why you bother responding to my posts if you're so concerned that you have to question everything I write.
(04-15-2017, 02:56 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2017, 12:09 PM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]You really should start a thread called "What's the point of Grimm? Why don't we just go watch Law & Order?". The show is called Grimm! If you can't even get behind the concept of the series, what's the friggin' point! Were you mistakenly under the impression that the theme over these last six seasons was, "Grimms are pointless and they should all just go away." Maybe you also wondered why there always had to be these stupid Wesen around, screwing up your well ordered sense of the justice system. It makes you wonder why they never make procedurals about ordinary people and leave out the monsters. (That was sarcasm, by the way)

Contrary to your own popular belief, there are people out here who don't necessarily share your opinion that everything about Grimm is warm and fuzzy. Also contrary to your own inflated sense of self, no one has to answer to you as to why they don't post threads according to your suggestions.

One of the reasons I liked this forum is because we are free to post what we want. The moderators here are great, objective, and welcome all points of view. Most of the time I have been able to enjoy that freedom, with the exception of a select few who are under the impression that everyone must think as they do, say what they say, act like clones, all of the time, 24/7.

When they don't, then they're plagued with such intelligent statements like, "If you think being a Grimm is nonsense, then I question why you even care about the show."

I don't know why you bother responding to my posts if you're so concerned that you have to question everything I write.

I suppose I feel somewhat frustrated that you don't really even seem to like the show very much. You never have anything good to say about it. There are shows with which I've found and equal degree of consternation, but I usually abandon them in the dust. Or I completely detach myself from them in an emotional sense. I love Grimm. Faults though it may have, I've never fundamentally disagreed with the places it's taken it's characters. I'm fond of these individuals and was happy to see them wind up in a good place. Perhaps I'm too forgiving of their past sins. If I am, then so to are the writers. I believe in Nick's role as a Grimm and his need to carry on that tradition with this makeshift family of his, in the same way the writers do. If I disagree with a counterpoint or find a measure of illogic in any of these threads, I will argue. If someone tells me that my opinion is wrong, I will argue. It's how I'm built. I would never presume to tell someone not to believe something. But I don't mind telling them I find fault in their logic. If everyone here didn't spend ninety percent of our time bickering, this thread would have been about two pages long.
(04-15-2017, 03:31 PM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose I feel somewhat frustrated that you don't really even seem to like the show very much. You never have anything good to say

Well, don't. Let your frustration go. I'm certainly not frustrated that you love it. I think you're a highly intelligent and thoughtful poster. Friends?
(04-15-2017, 03:36 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-15-2017, 03:31 PM)Mrtrick Wrote: [ -> ]I suppose I feel somewhat frustrated that you don't really even seem to like the show very much. You never have anything good to say

Well, don't. Let your frustration go. I'm certainly not frustrated that you love it. I think you're a highly intelligent and thoughtful poster. Friends?

Certainly. Agreeing to disagree is one of the hallmarks of civil society. Plus, I always enjoy the debate, so it's never less than good natured for me.
(04-15-2017, 02:56 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]

This forum reminds me of certain aspects of religion. There seems to be some fundamental acts of faith that are needed in order to accept the story line. Some expect us to simply believe Grimms are somehow a benevolent force. We are suppose to accept, as an article of faith, that police who do not follow the rule of law, violate their oath of office, believe in torture, do not follow Miranda rights, and execute prisoners are somehow justified.

If you openly question those articles of faith you are oft attacked as a heretic.