Grimm Forum

Full Version: Did Adalind raped Nick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If they really wanted to change things they should have had her family show up on the scene.

ETA: The show should never, ever be tailored to what fans want. That's a recipe for disaster because there is no vision in what fans want.
(04-08-2017, 07:21 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]If they really wanted to change things they should have had her family show up on the scene.

They definitely could have done it a number of ways.

(04-08-2017, 07:21 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]If they really wanted to change things they should have had her family show up on the scene.

ETA: The show should never, ever be tailored to what fans want. That's a recipe for disaster because there is no vision in what fans want.

It kind of has to be a little bit, if they fans don't like it or don't connect to the show, they won't watch and the series would have ended sooner.
(04-08-2017, 07:10 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: [ -> ]It makes me wonder then why they switched things around between coming back from Germany and the end of S5 if Nick back with Juliette wasn't on the cards.

G&K would have bought in a girlfriend for Nick if there were multiple seasons left. All the original contracts were up at season 6. Once it was only one season it became staying with Adalind and become good friends with Eve. G&K had to show that Eve was the person she really wanted to be and not just forced by HW.
(04-08-2017, 07:25 AM)Circe27 Wrote: [ -> ]

It kind of has to be a little bit, if they fans don't like it or don't connect to the show, they won't watch and the series would have ended sooner.

The only thing the writers have in mind is hoping to capture demographics. When it comes down to who should be honored with Nick's presence in the end, that kind of thing should be left to the writers' vision. Nick and Adalind may have been their vision all along. But Nick and Adalind should not have been pushed together simply because the writers frequent a certain website and the Nadalind fans happen to be screaming the loudest.
(04-08-2017, 07:09 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]I also am angry that the show refused to show Nick as a capable and compassionate Grimm who's able to deal with a girlfriend who's changing and she can't understand why. After all, he's the big grimm in all this, the totally different grimm, the prophecy. Yet for all this greatness, he has a short fuse with regard to her predicament.

The show was keeping Nick very immature at that point. Juliette was under too much pressure from Nick to meet all his high expectations. IMO the wedding ring that Nick had bought her became a symbol of the traditional marriage that Nick would not let go of which was not about Adalind per say. Nick expected Juliette to be a vet/grimm partner/mother and hexenbiest. Nick thought he just had to learn to understand her and that issue would go away. Juliette had to give up being a vet without any input from Nick.
(04-08-2017, 06:46 AM)Circe27 Wrote: [ -> ]I never got that myself. I think he will always love Juliette but wasn't still in love with her. He definitely was never in love with Eve, he cared about her but it was a platonic relationship.
He does love Juliette still but is no longer in love with her. His heart has moved on to Adalind despite everything that happened between them. It's impossible for me not to think he's love with Adalind after watching them from season 1 to 3. That is a very dark and turbulent past, even more so than Adalind and Renard when they turned on each other. I think this is what Nick had been struggling with between German and the end of S5, reconciling falling in love with an enemy, why it took him forever to finally tell her he loved her even though it was very apparent he did.

At the hospital after Kelly's birth, when Adalind asked Nick not to be like the people the were before their son, she had already determined that she would and was asking him to do the same, for their son's sake. Both fulfilled that promise, if you will, and Kelly's benefitted from his parents eventually falling in love when they looked past each other's mistakes and had the opportunity to finally see the man, the woman and not the Grimm or hexenbiest. I think it was profound to look past those prejudices.

But by the end of S5 I was getting ready to be disappointed thinking the writers were resetting Nick back to season 1 and 2. I'm glad they didn't. Nick and Adalind grew as individuals in accepting one another and for those not fans of the couple I truly get why this stings as much as it does because of how badly Nick and Juliette were handled when she told him she was a hexenbiest. It was an unfortunate turn of events, especially when Juliette turned vengeful and crazy at the end of S4.

The writers haven't gotten things 100%, even with great character arcs like Eve's, Adalind's and maybe Renard's but to have Eve accepting the hand she was dealt and see the value in the journey (however messed up it was) because it led her to becoming a better version of Juliette and robotic Eve, it is fantastic, speaking a neither fan of any versions of the character.

Apart from my low expectation of the show that they'd go for the easy route of Nick and Juliette, even when I didn't like Nick and Juliette as a couple, I think it worked better to pair Nick with Adalind, a born hexenbiest as a mirror to the resident blutbad and fuchsbau and the problems we saw them go through for being two different species and needing to overcome and show that times and longstanding traditions needed changing. Nick and Adalind are exactly the same but on a greater level because of the historical violent relations between Grimms and hexenbiests. It made me glad when his mother told him to take care of her grandson instead of berating him over falling in love with one of the worst wesen around.

(04-08-2017, 07:39 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-08-2017, 07:09 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]I also am angry that the show refused to show Nick as a capable and compassionate Grimm who's able to deal with a girlfriend who's changing and she can't understand why. After all, he's the big grimm in all this, the totally different grimm, the prophecy. Yet for all this greatness, he has a short fuse with regard to her predicament.

The show was keeping Nick very immature at that point. Juliette was under too much pressure from Nick to meet all his high expectations. IMO the wedding ring that Nick had bought her became a symbol of the traditional marriage that Nick would not let go of which was not about Adalind per say. Nick expected Juliette to be a vet/grimm partner/mother and hexenbiest. Nick thought he just had to learn to understand her and that issue would go away. Juliette had to give up being a vet without any input from Nick.
Nick didn't expect Juliette to be a Hexenbiest. Initially he wanted to cure her, and eventually suppress it. Although Juliette had struggled the most with accepting Nick being a Grimm, it was Nick's inability to accept Juliette as a hexenbiest that finally destroyed them. Not that he hated her, but that he wanted to fix her. She went crazy as a result because she saw that as a rejection of who she was as an individual. And since then, Nick's carried with him guilt of what he "did" to Juliette, even when falling in love, starting a family that allowed him to be his true self, Juliette's suffering would continue to haunt him because he realises he should have listened to his aunt way back at the start of it all. Eve has accepted herself but Nick will always feel responsible for what happened.

He's found happiness with Adalind and the kids but still sees Eve as being unhappy because he has what he's always wanted and in comparison, she has nothing as some fans have attested. Honestly, I don't know what it would take for Nick to be free of his guilt. That last episode with everyone dying around him is bound to have an effect on him. We've already seen that he and Trubel continue to have nightmares about the things they do. I think Grimms suffer prolonged PTSD or something similar that stays with them till the day they die.

I think that's why Adalind was good for him in that she was supportive of him without making even more demands on him than he could handle. Nick finds in Adalind what he couldn't in Juliette and whatever Juliette needed in a boyfriend/husband, she could never have found it in Nick. They were like oil and water, unable to mix and build something permanent together. Not to say Juliette wasn't a supportive girlfriend, she was, right to the end but it was hampered by the conflict that came with her making concessions for him at her expense and they both paid dearly for it.
(04-08-2017, 07:36 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-08-2017, 07:25 AM)Circe27 Wrote: [ -> ]

The only thing the writers have in mind is hoping to capture demographics. When it comes down to who should be honored with Nick's presence in the end, that kind of thing should be left to the writers' vision. Nick and Adalind may have been their vision all along. But Nick and Adalind should not have been pushed together simply because the writers frequent a certain website and the Nadalind fans happen to be screaming the loudest.

I don't think the writers went to one website and said nadalind is endgame!! Networks have departments that researches audience and study rise and decline of viewer shares.
(04-07-2017, 08:50 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]I always wondered what their plan was before Claire Coffee got pregnant and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio got committed to another series, whether Juliette was always supposed to go off the rails or if Henrietta was going to get her calmed down and help her and Nick work things out instead of getting killed by Jack the Ripper. Perhaps Nick's hexenbiest mate was originally going to be Juliette...

I've always felt that the Juliette downfall was planned for some time. It was one of their best and most tightly plotted arcs in the whole series. Claire's pregnancy modified elements of it and had drastic effects on the aftermath, but I think they always planned to fake Juliette's death and have her return in some form. Given the way they write, the details probably only began to take shape when they decided to pull the trigger on that storyline. It's entirely possible that they planned to draw Nick and Juliette back together somewhere down the line. And it would have made sense, because with no clear obstacles other than sins of the past between them, they would have remained the dominating romantic story. They were definitely trying to build a redemptive arc for Adalind, as they were very fond of the character, but it would have been a narrative impossibility to expect any logical romance between the two in the little time remaining. Without the conceit of throwing them together in such an intimate space, how do they cross that divide without a reasonable span of time. I think we would have needed eight seasons for that to be plausible. Her shift toward team Grimm was, most likely, always intended. The suppressant story certainly didn't require her pregnancy. But even had she become a full fledged helper to the good guys by the end of season four, her orbit would have remained closer to Renard than anyone else. Her search for Diana would have been her defining personal mission.

Claire getting pregnant certainly would have thrown the writers into a dervish of new possibilities. They were fully aware that, despite it's unlikely nature, there was already a fervent contingent of people shipping Nadalind. (I must admit to being completely unaware of such passions at that time.) But up until this twist of fate, it was probably something they merely discussed fancifully in the writer's room. How could they explain that leap in a way anyone would buy? Even after the baby on board entered the picture, it probably took them a while to put two and two together. I'm not sure when the eureka moment occurred, but even by the end of season four it was never portrayed as a given that they would wind up anything more than co-parents. I fondly remember the scene where Rosalee and Bud touch on the subject. She dismisses the notion outright. How could that happen!? As soon as the finale aired though, every interview asked that question. And I imagine they were already asking it of themselves. This would work perfectly for their desire to fully redeem Adalind and it would give a growing majority of the audience something they had been clamorong for. It always struck me that Adalind never once fell back on bad behavior. Not even for dramatic effect. This combined element of building empathy for her and probing romantic possibilities drew Nick's story away from something that would have been more mournful. By making her a perfect partner for Nick as a friend and mother to his son, they made it almost impossible for him to go back to Eve. It would have made him look like a jerk. I'm not sure if they were certain by the end of season five, but by the time six started they definitely were. When Nick shared that passionate kiss with Adalind in the premiere, I had no doubt that the outcome had been decided. For whatever faults the Grimm writing style has given us over the years, one great benefit is that destiny seemed to play a hand in where the characters would end up. You can never guess where you'll be in six years and neither could these writers. But in the end it seemed inevitable.
(04-08-2017, 08:02 AM)Circe27 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think the writers went to one website and said nadalind is endgame!! Networks have departments that researches audience and study rise and decline of viewer shares.

All I'm saying is if they listen to specific audience requirements, that when the vision of the show suffers. They put their vision out there for all to see. If it doesn't work, they try something else. I don't know that Adalind/Nick was their vision. I would hope it was rather than some effort in season 4 to change the Juliette dynamic simply because fans prefer Nadalind better.
(04-08-2017, 08:18 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]All I'm saying is if they listen to specific audience requirements, that when the vision of the show suffers. They put their vision out there for all to see. If it doesn't work, they try something else. I don't know that Adalind/Nick was their vision. I would hope it was rather than some effort in season 4 to change the Juliette dynamic simply because fans prefer Nadalind better.

Irukandji would you felt better if Juliette had the baby and lived in the fome and gave up work and had to not get to involved with what Nick was doing and Adalind would have become the lead with team grimm and partner to Nick and he could not done without Adalind?