Grimm Forum

Full Version: The writers sabotaged N&J's relationship in favor of Adalind.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-07-2017, 04:39 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]My refusal to get on board with the ‘Grimm way’ of policing wasn’t so much what they did, but the ease in which they abandoned their assumed code. But, the show handled Hank’s and Wu’s initiation into the Grimm/Wesen world the same way - place each in a sufficiently emotionally distraught situation so he's relieved to learn he's not insane and there’s a method in place to deal with these bizarre/dangerous creatures.

I can understand how their experiences propelled them to jump in head first. But it’s just another example of G & K placing expediency over character and story evolution.

I think there was certain kind of storytelling going on with Grimm. I'll just call it their style. It was actually consistent throughout. They were really into the WOW and getting plots played out quickly. Many people specifically tuned in for this fantastical show for that reason when it started. They had lots of great monster/fairy tale stories. Same with me when I started watching from the first season. I thank FaceintheCrowd for reminding us. From the start, it had always been that way. Later, I wanted it to become more but there are people who have always been happy the way it was and needed no change. Those fans have also stayed with the show till the end. I still enjoyed the show immensely, even though I wanted more fleshing out and more talk. However, that would have made the show a drama and pissed off some of the regulars mighty plenty.
I realise that with all the complaints, had the show changed in order to give me what I thought I wanted, it would have changed the DNA of show and yes, there were people happy with the show as it was. They would have been angry to see their show changed like that. Grimm retained viewers against all odds against stiff competition in a changing market, they might have lost more shifting from wow stories to long winded, fleshed out arcs.
was always satisfied with Grimm but the writers should have spared us with Nadalind.
(05-07-2017, 08:52 PM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]was always satisfied with Grimm but the writers should have spared us with Nadalind.

I'm a Nadalind Supporter.
(05-07-2017, 08:52 PM)Loona Wrote: [ -> ]was always satisfied with Grimm but the writers should have spared us with Nadalind.

Oh wow! Loona, do you need to start it again? We all already know about your dislike of Nadalind. I'm myself more the Nickliette shipper but it doesn't bring anything if you always complain over it. It's still get more frustrating for all of us. Please stop - it is already enough that the series would be cancelled so we don't need someone who complain over it all over again.
(05-07-2017, 03:11 PM)Devegs Wrote: [ -> ]I think there was certain kind of storytelling going on with Grimm. I'll just call it their style. It was actually consistent throughout. They were really into the WOW and getting plots played out quickly. Many people specifically tuned in for this fantastical show for that reason when it started. They had lots of great monster/fairy tale stories. Same with me when I started watching from the first season.
Absolutely, the WoW was G & K’s vision. But it was their choice to incorporate story arcs and characters unnecessary for WoW episodes that were poorly executed due to lack of attention. Renard and Adalind worked in the earlier seasons when the characters were used in a specific antagonist role in the Grimm story. Their independent storylines didn’t interfere with the WoW format and weren’t compromised while they remained secondary storylines. The same with Meisner and the Resistance, he worked well as the occasional character in Renard’s or Adalind’s secondary storylines.

Then Adalind is pregnant with Nick’s baby, Nick & Adalind enter into a maybe/maybe not burgeoning relationship - seven episodes aired and the show runners haven’t decided, there’s a Wesen uprising, a Wesen political group attempting a coup, a secret government agency tasked with stopping the uprising/coup - that’s headed by Meisner for no particular reason, Juliette becomes a Hexenbiest then a robotic persona then a hybrid of Juliette/Hexenbiest/Eve, Renard makes a power grab… And it’s only glimpsed at here and there if there’s a little time left over during a WoW episode.

Those are the type of events/storylines that appear in dramas or nighttime soaps. The Royals as part of Grimm’s ongoing back story blended with the WoW format, and often offered up some rather interesting and intense characters, but G & K chose to replace it with the drama/nighttime soap storylines. If WoW was the meat and potatoes of Grimm and succeeded in drawing in and holding viewers; why add these drama/nighttime soap scenarios?
(05-08-2017, 05:01 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-07-2017, 03:11 PM)Devegs Wrote: [ -> ]I think there was certain kind of storytelling going on with Grimm. I'll just call it their style. It was actually consistent throughout. They were really into the WOW and getting plots played out quickly. Many people specifically tuned in for this fantastical show for that reason when it started. They had lots of great monster/fairy tale stories. Same with me when I started watching from the first season.
Absolutely, the WoW was G & K’s vision. But it was their choice to incorporate story arcs and characters unnecessary for WoW episodes that were poorly executed due to lack of attention. Renard and Adalind worked in the earlier seasons when the characters were used in a specific antagonist role in the Grimm story. Their independent storylines didn’t interfere with the WoW format and weren’t compromised while they remained secondary storylines. The same with Meisner and the Resistance, he worked well as the occasional character in Renard’s or Adalind’s secondary storylines.

Then Adalind is pregnant with Nick’s baby, Nick & Adalind enter into a maybe/maybe not burgeoning relationship - seven episodes aired and the show runners haven’t decided, there’s a Wesen uprising, a Wesen political group attempting a coup, a secret government agency tasked with stopping the uprising/coup - that’s headed by Meisner for no particular reason, Juliette becomes a Hexenbiest then a robotic persona then a hybrid of Juliette/Hexenbiest/Eve, Renard makes a power grab… And it’s only glimpsed at here and there if there’s a little time left over during a WoW episode.

Those are the type of events/storylines that appear in dramas or nighttime soaps. The Royals as part of Grimm’s ongoing back story blended with the WoW format, and often offered up some rather interesting and intense characters, but G & K chose to replace it with the drama/nighttime soap storylines. If WoW was the meat and potatoes of Grimm and succeeded in drawing in and holding viewers; why add these drama/nighttime soap scenarios?

I agree with you. I would have been useful if Juliette had a job related to police work too. That way we could we skipped the whole I forget everything of season 2 and beyond and instead Juliette could had a role in the WoW. If she broke up with Nick she could dated other police officers or Sean more naturally.
(05-08-2017, 05:19 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with you. I would have been useful if Juliette had a job related to police work too. That way we could we skipped the whole I forget everything of season 2 and beyond and instead Juliette could had a role in the WoW. If she broke up with Nick she could dated other police officers or Sean more naturally.
Thanks MLK, but would Juliette’s career choice made a significant difference in the WoW episodes or the Grimm/Royals back story, or enhanced her role as Nick’s girlfriend? Because that’s all she was until becoming a Hexenbiest - the girlfriend establishing her place in Nick’s Grimm/Wesen world. I doubt Nick would have been more open to Juliette’s hands-on participation or their relationship would have fared better if she worked in law enforcement.

Nick treated Eve as an equal independent of his lead, but once signs of Juliette appeared their interaction regressed to Nick in charge and Eve/Juliette following his lead.
(05-08-2017, 05:01 AM)Robyn Wrote: [ -> ]

We definitely agree on some points, just as we differ on others. It was their choice to incorporate whatever they wanted to tell their story the way they wanted. Some of us were dissatisfied that they did not delve in deeper once they went that route with some of the drama but some fans were not. Whichever way they went, there would have still been some dissatisfied fans. There always is and this is very normal. Even if they had gone into deeper character developments and fleshing out plots just like I/we wanted, there would still have been disagreement as to what they should have done or how the character development/progression/arcs should have been executed.

For example, take the thread right below your original response to mine. You and MLG agree, yet there was disagreement right away as to what route G&K should have taken.

We agree, yet we disagree on what would have made the show perfect for all. I can only be certain of what would have made the show perfect for me based on my proclivities. The writers went with making the show as perfect as they could make it for themselves based on their vision as the creators. Even, G & K said there was stuff they really wanted to do but just couldn't, and that there were things they had to cut out based on time that they wished they could have put in.
(05-08-2017, 06:45 AM)Devegs Wrote: [ -> ]We definitely agree on some points, just as we differ on others. It was their choice to incorporate whatever they wanted to tell their story the way they wanted. Some of us were dissatisfied that they did not delve in deeper once they went that route with some of the drama but some fans were not. Whichever way they went, there would have still been some dissatisfied fans. There always is and this is very normal. Even if they had gone into deeper character developments and fleshing out plots just like I/we wanted, there would still have been disagreement as to what they should have done or how the character development/progression/arcs should have been executed.

For example, take the thread right below your original response to mine. You and MLG agree, yet there was disagreement right away as to what route G&K should have taken.

We agree, yet we disagree on what would have made the show perfect for all. I can only be certain of what would have made the show perfect for me based on my proclivities. The writers went with making the show as perfect as they could make it for themselves based on their vision as the creators. Even, G & K said there was stuff they really wanted to do but just couldn't, and that there were things they had to cut out based on time that they wished they could have put in.
It’s a rare show that’s perfect for all. Other than the network, I doubt anyone has significant influence over what G & K wanted or didn’t want for their show. My response wasn’t about do this instead and I’d like it better. Only, if the WoW was holding the targeted demographic, what motivated G & K to incorporate even more drama/nighttime soap themes into the mix, especially when the forty-two minute timeframe is a tight squeeze just for the WoW.

For the network, viewership equals ratings equals advertising revenue. So unless these things G & K wanted to do but couldn’t didn’t warrant the budget, what prevented them? As long as the result is the desired revenue, does any network really care what brings in the money?