Grimm Forum

Full Version: The writers sabotaged N&J's relationship in favor of Adalind.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(05-06-2017, 02:00 AM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ]as long as he is not a murderer (like Nick with Kenneth, that is why it is so unbelievable that both Hank and Wu would be complicit)). So I don't think anyone had to necessarily be protecting him as much as people reflexively turning their head the other way. Nick may simply have be shunned socially and not actually protected.

Why do you find this unbelievable? You don't think there are cops out there that would be complicit when there friend and partner murders the man who ambushed his mother and had her head on display in the middle of his living room? I think you may be confusing unbelievable with unacceptable. This is also TV cops we're talking about here.

There is no indication that Nick was shunned socially nor is there any indication they suspected him of anything they needed to turn their heads away from. Certainly not before he became a Grimm. The idea of Nick being a corrupt cop for something like a decade is coming out of nowhere.
Nick seemed to be well liked by his fellow officers. They cheered him after his supposed heroic take down of the man responsible for the North Precinct massacre. And the most visible of these officers (extras) showed his reluctance in hunting down Nick with the order to shoot to kill. He even questioned it because he didn't understand why they were hunting someone he knew and likely respected with extreme prejudice. I think viewers own perception of the characters can sometimes fly against what actually happened on screen. There's nothing that says Nick was shunned at all or that he was corrupt before S1E01, that's pure speculation, nothing factual.
(05-06-2017, 08:48 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2017, 02:00 AM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ][quote='irukandji' pid='56572' dateline='1494022606']
Good points here. If Nick was corrupt before becoming a grimm, who do you think would have protected him?

...I also recall an episode where Nick was going to torture a wesen to get information out of him and Hank prevented him from doing so.

It makes me wonder if Hank was partnered with Nick to keep him in line. During my father's police days, he told us of policemen who were paired with others to keep them in line. If that didn't work, they were fired.

Another thing I just learned about real life cops (though some would call this hearsay, but who cares?), it's not exactly black and white with them either. Apparently, they cut officers some slack when they are not being exactly true to the uniform and first try/hope to keep them in line by partnering them with other officers. So they pair a 'corrupt' officer (being your opinion about Nick which you keep pointing out to us) with another in the hopes of keeping them in line, before they consider firing them...
Good to know.
(05-06-2017, 08:48 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Wu was not complicit, he was actually the one who called attention to Nick's unsolved cases.
Mary: Wu points out that Nick was solving too many cases (weird ones too) to Sean where Wu could not see from original evidence how Nick and Hank found the suspect.

http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Chupacabra/Transcript
Scene: Wu talks to Renard in his office.
[Wu knocks on the door]
Renard: Yeah.
Wu: Can I show you something, sir?
Renard: Sure.
Wu: [He comes in and sets multiple case files with pictures on Renard's desk] Cause of death in each one of these cases is what I would call Portland-esque, and by that, I mean it's weird. We have an assortment of exploding stomachs, throats ripped open, bodies cut in half, limbs chewed off, and so forth, but they have one thing in common. They were all handled by Burkhardt and Griffin. In this one, suspect was stabbed to death. Case closed. In this one, suspect was shot to death. Case closed. In this one, suspect was captured and declared mentally unfit to stand trial. Case closed.
Renard: And your point is?
Wu: I want to know how they're solving these cases when the evidence doesn't lead to the suspect. What are they seeing that I'm not?
Renard: That's what makes them good detectives. They see things we can't. [His phone rings] Excuse me. I need to take this.
(05-06-2017, 04:00 PM)Devegs Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2017, 08:48 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2017, 02:00 AM)izzy Wrote: [ -> ][quote='irukandji' pid='56572' dateline='1494022606']
Good points here. If Nick was corrupt before becoming a grimm, who do you think would have protected him?

...I also recall an episode where Nick was going to torture a wesen to get information out of him and Hank prevented him from doing so.

It makes me wonder if Hank was partnered with Nick to keep him in line. During my father's police days, he told us of policemen who were paired with others to keep them in line. If that didn't work, they were fired.

Another thing I just learned about real life cops (though some would call this hearsay, but who cares?), it's not exactly black and white with them either. Apparently, they cut officers some slack when they are not being exactly true to the uniform and first try/hope to keep them in line by partnering them with other officers. So they pair a 'corrupt' officer (being your opinion about Nick which you keep pointing out to us) with another in the hopes of keeping them in line, before they consider firing them...
Good to know.

Well, actually, if you were reading this correctly, you would see I was talking about Nick *before* he became a grimm.

But in reality, how is any of this new to you? It's not exactly black and white with cops. You know this. You hear it on the radio, see it on television, watch it on Grimm.

Sergeants, Lieutenants, and Captains are not stupid. They've dealt with enough human trash to see a cop who might be either overzealous in his duties or have anger issues that could cause problems with the public. The cop works with a partner to keep him in line. There's nothing wrong with that.

Nick was already well into corruption, but Hank actually did step in to prevent him from torturing a wesen. Not that it helped Nick any and Hank was just as corrupt at that point.......

(05-06-2017, 04:10 PM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2017, 08:48 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]Well, Wu was not complicit, he was actually the one who called attention to Nick's unsolved cases.
Mary: Wu points out that Nick was solving too many cases (weird ones too) to Sean where Wu could not see from original evidence how Nick and Hank found the suspect.

http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Chupacabra/Transcript
Scene: Wu talks to Renard in his office.
[Wu knocks on the door]
Renard: Yeah.
Wu: Can I show you something, sir?
Renard: Sure.
Wu: [He comes in and sets multiple case files with pictures on Renard's desk] Cause of death in each one of these cases is what I would call Portland-esque, and by that, I mean it's weird. We have an assortment of exploding stomachs, throats ripped open, bodies cut in half, limbs chewed off, and so forth, but they have one thing in common. They were all handled by Burkhardt and Griffin. In this one, suspect was stabbed to death. Case closed. In this one, suspect was shot to death. Case closed. In this one, suspect was captured and declared mentally unfit to stand trial. Case closed.
Renard: And your point is?
Wu: I want to know how they're solving these cases when the evidence doesn't lead to the suspect. What are they seeing that I'm not?
Renard: That's what makes them good detectives. They see things we can't. [His phone rings] Excuse me. I need to take this.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said unsolved cases. I should have said Wu questioned Nick and Hank's falsified reports. Either way, he wasn't complicit at that time. He was being a good cop.
So, from what I'm getting, it seems that they are all just being regular ol' cops in a regular police department. Lol. Big Grin
(05-06-2017, 04:45 PM)Devegs Wrote: [ -> ]So, from what I'm getting, it seems that they are all just being regular ol' cops in a regular police department. Lol. Big Grin

(laughs) You're still getting it wrong but that's ok.
(05-06-2017, 04:48 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2017, 04:45 PM)Devegs Wrote: [ -> ]So, from what I'm getting, it seems that they are all just being regular ol' cops in a regular police department. Lol. Big Grin

Nope. All I did was steal a page from your book. Big Grin
(05-06-2017, 04:50 PM)Devegs Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-06-2017, 04:48 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]

Nope. All I did was steal a page from your book. Big Grin

(laughs)
(05-06-2017, 08:12 AM)Devegs Wrote: [ -> ]Great point Robyn.

So, now I can conclude by taking Izzy's word, since he has all the great inside knowledge, that the boys in blue are the ones tarnishing their own image because it's definately not Grimm doing it for them. So, they basically shelter the criminals amongst themselves. They don't go after them or give them up as long as the officers in question do not commit murders (it's ok to commit all other kinds of criminal acts though). The rest look the other way but just don't hang out with them so they don't tarnish their individual images?...
My refusal to get on board with the ‘Grimm way’ of policing wasn’t so much what they did, but the ease in which they abandoned their assumed code. But, the show handled Hank’s and Wu’s initiation into the Grimm/Wesen world the same way - place each in a sufficiently emotionally distraught situation so he's relieved to learn he's not insane and there’s a method in place to deal with these bizarre/dangerous creatures.

I can understand how their experiences propelled them to jump in head first. But it’s just another example of G & K placing expediency over character and story evolution.