Grimm Forum

Full Version: Was Nick's Family Ashamed of their Grimm Heritage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
SPOILER ALERT FOR GRIMFANGIRLING

We only find out that Trubel is related to Nick at the end of S6, E13, when Kelly is summarizing what he is writing in the Grimm Book as Diana enters the trailer. And NO, there was no mention that anyone was ashamed of her!
(01-14-2018, 08:29 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I don't think any of the grimms we saw were perceptive enough to believe being a grimm was aking to a heavy is the head that wears the crown type of attitude. Nick certainly never displayed any such reluctance. He wanted his grimm back and was certainly proud of it.

Marie called it a misfortune. If Kelly was proud of it, the series never made that apparent.

As for Trubel, a teenager with a troubled past, I don't find it odd that she would grasp at being a grimm to give her life some meaning. I do criticize Nick and Juliette, however. Both of them had the opportunity to offer Trubel so much more and they in essence, copped out on her.

I think older Grimms such as Marie and Rolek definitely gave off an aura that screamed out they fully grasped the weight of what they were and what needed to be done. Marie and Rolek both sought out Nick before they died and gave him the most valuable Grimm items they had while trying to share their wisdom with him in the little time they had left. Rolek valued doing this over spending his last moments with his son.
(01-14-2018, 08:29 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]To be honest, I don't think any of the grimms we saw were perceptive enough to believe being a grimm was aking to a heavy is the head that wears the crown type of attitude. Nick certainly never displayed any such reluctance. He wanted his grimm back and was certainly proud of it.

I think the grimms saw themselves as the modern version of the knight errant, or in Nick's case, the knight in service, only to the public rather than a king. In either case, like the chivalrous knights of old they were unable to just look the other way and keep riding by when they saw something bad happening that they could deal with. The same kind of hero complex that probably keeps every comic book superhero from ever getting a good night's sleep or taking a vacation.
(01-14-2018, 03:21 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]The only onscreen discussions I can recall, it was said the grimm was hereditary. No further details. Howeverm we can deduce from the branches in the grimm book's family trees that died out that the grimm probably does not skip generations.

Are you saying that Josh, Rolek's son will eventually become a Grimm? As far as I can recall, the series left him as a skipped Grimm generation but also still carry the gene.
(01-14-2018, 09:15 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying that Josh, Rolek's son will eventually become a Grimm? As far as I can recall, the series left him as a skipped Grimm generation but also still carry the gene.

Nothing was ever said about what might happen to Josh's children if he didn't get the grimm. Josh may or may not become a grimm, but if he doesn't his name won't go into the book (they specifically said that all the people in it were grimms). We don't see very many pages, but on the ones we do see, there are no grimms floating parentless on them. If one of your parents doesn't have it, you probably won't either and your line of grimms will die out.
(01-14-2018, 09:00 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]I think the grimms saw themselves as the modern version of the knight errant, or in Nick's case, the knight in service, only to the public rather than a king. In either case, like the chivalrous knights of old they were unable to just look the other way and keep riding by when they saw something bad happening that they could deal with. The same kind of hero complex that probably keeps every comic book superhero from ever getting a good night's sleep or taking a vacation.

This could certainly be true for Nick, to a certain extent. However, I don't think Kelly or Marie saw themselves as heroes. Kelly and Marie appear to be more of the mercenary vein to me rather than heroic. I don't certainly fault them for that. Grimms are really limited to the fields in which they can utilize their talents.
(01-14-2018, 09:44 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-14-2018, 09:15 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying that Josh, Rolek's son will eventually become a Grimm? As far as I can recall, the series left him as a skipped Grimm generation but also still carry the gene.

Nothing was ever said about what might happen to Josh's children if he didn't get the grimm. Josh may or may not become a grimm, but if he doesn't his name won't go into the book (they specifically said that all the people in it were grimms). We don't see very many pages, but on the ones we do see, there are no grimms floating parentless on them. If one of your parents doesn't have it, you probably won't either and your line of grimms will die out.

FYI, Josh is like at least 10 or 15 years younger than Nick, maybe even more, so we don't know if he will become a Grimm, even after 20 years when the series ends.
We don't have any information about how Kelly and Marie lived before Nick was born. Once Kelly became the guardian of the Coins of Zakynthos and a mother, she appeared to be hiding out in the guise of a suburban softball mom, and we know that Marie walked away from the grimm life to become a librarian and raise Nick. Kelly becoming a mercenary once she went on the run makes perfect sense; those knights errant of old took payment for their deeds as well.
(01-14-2018, 09:44 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]

I suspect Josh's children would fall under Rolek's branch as his descendants regardless of Josh's non Grimmness. It's not an actual family tree if only the names listed are those who actually became Grimms. It explains why there's not a lot of names under one family branch.
Quote:As for Trubel, a teenager with a troubled past, I don't find it odd that she would grasp at being a grimm to give her life some meaning. I do criticize Nick and Juliette, however. Both of them had the opportunity to offer Trubel so much more and they in essence, copped out on her.
Why that does not make since is because being a Grimm is not a choose. It is an obligation you are born with. Even Rolex who admitted he could not do what Nick does. Realized being a Grimm he had certain obligations.

The idea that Nick and Juliette had the option to tech Trubel something other then being a Grimm. Ignores the fact that she is and will always be a grimm. You statement makes it sound like you believe that being a Grimm is a life chose. The same with Nick losing his grimm. Even Juliette realized Nick not only needed to be a Grimm again to protect their friends. But he also needed to be a Grimm again because that is who he is.

If you watched the show you would notice the writers made a point, that even the time Adalind lost her powers , the time she suppressed her powers, and the time Eve lost her powers. They still considered themselves hexenbiest. The show made the point they are not defined by what they can do, but by what they are. Both times with Adalind nothing changed in how she viewed things. The same with Eve. Even without powers she was willing to go toe to toe with the enemy without hesitation.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18