Grimm Forum

Full Version: Was Nick's Family Ashamed of their Grimm Heritage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Quote:What backstory? The Pope supposedly had them chained in the basement. Then some mysterious people took them across country where they "woged" on queue to frighten the faithful. Oh, and then a lot of alms were collected.

There is nothing in that story that gives a background or in any way remotely applies to Dwight, the tent revival preacher.

All you're saying is that everything that comes out of Monroe's mouth is accurate.
That is the backstory showing one of the ways they where used. It also showed the Dwight was not the first to use their appearance for religious reasons.
(01-22-2018, 07:10 AM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:What backstory? The Pope supposedly had them chained in the basement. Then some mysterious people took them across country where they "woged" on queue to frighten the faithful. Oh, and then a lot of alms were collected.

There is nothing in that story that gives a background or in any way remotely applies to Dwight, the tent revival preacher.

All you're saying is that everything that comes out of Monroe's mouth is accurate.
That is the backstory showing one of the ways they where used. It also showed the Dwight was not the first to use their appearance for religious reasons.

So you are saying the wesen in Monroe's story deliberately used their woge to influence the faithful that they were devils and to contribute alms?
If they were being kept as prisoners, they were probably being forced to woge against their will, but yes, someone was using their woge to influence the faithful that they were devils and to contribute alms.
(01-22-2018, 11:14 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]If they were being kept as prisoners, they were probably being forced to woge against their will, but yes, someone was using their woge to influence the faithful that they were devils and to contribute alms.

I get that this is your opinion. But I don't see the connection of a backstory between Monroe's tale of imprisoned and no doubt tortured wesen to Dwight the preacher. The story of the imprisoned wesen is one of corruption. Dwight's story is not.
That's because you're trying to see it for more than it was. It was just historical precedent that kehrseite masses have a history of being fooled by clergy into thinking that furis rubians are the devil.
Let's just let this be and agree to disagree.
(01-21-2018, 09:40 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]There are instances where Monroe didn't know or wasn't sure about something (these were usually preludes to a trip to the Spice Shop so Rosalee could deliver the info), and there's at least one case (the grausen) where it turned out that everything that everyone thought they knew about something turned out to be wrong. But mostly, bits of trivia Monroe spouted were just that, trivia, that fleshed out the background of what was going to happen. So they were never tested, and of course contradiction wouldn't happen unless a major plot turn depended on it.
I see Monroe, with his knowledge of wessen trivia, as someone who could win big time on Wessen Jeopardy--he wouldn't get all the answers right, but he would get most of them right. A character like Monroe is a good way get answers that help drive the plot line.
Here is a good example of what Monroe and the Grimm books provide to the show:
Quote:Narrative exposition is the insertion of important background information within a story; for example, information about the setting, characters' backstories, prior plot events, historical context, etc.[1] In a specifically literary context, exposition appears in the form of expository writing embedded within the narrative.

Here is an example of the purpose of statements:
Quote:Indirect exposition, sometimes called incluing, is a technique of worldbuilding in which the reader is gradually exposed to background information about the world in which a story is set. The idea is to clue the readers in to the world the author is building without them being aware of it. This can be done in a number of ways: through dialogues, flashbacks, characters' thoughts,[3] background details,

This is the structure that writers use. That is why I have a problem when people ignore this process of providing information and claim the information is false or a lie.
Just like the previous post asking how is Monroe providing backstory. This is also the purpose of the Grimm books. All of these things are meant to let the view know what is going on, so they do not have to make assumptions or read between the lines.
(01-22-2018, 06:24 PM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]Here is a good example of what Monroe provides to the show
Narrative exposition is the insertion of important background information within a story; for example, information about the setting, characters' backstories, prior plot events, historical context, etc.[1] In a specifically literary context, exposition appears in the form of expository writing embedded within the narrative.
Here is an example of the purpose of statements
Indirect exposition, sometimes called incluing, is a technique of worldbuilding in which the reader is gradually exposed to background information about the world in which a story is set. The idea is to clue the readers in to the world the author is building without them being aware of it. This can be done in a number of ways: through dialogues, flashbacks, characters' thoughts,[3] background details,

This is the structure that writers use. That is why I have a problem when people ignore this process of providing information as being false or a lie.
Just like the previous post asking how is monroe providing backstory. This is also the purpose of the Grimm books. All of these things are ment to let the view know what is going on, so they do not have to make assumptions or read between the lines.

I'm completely and totally familiar with what you're talking about. I just don't agree that Monroe's statement is a good example of important background information within a story.
Quote:I'm completely and totally familiar with what you're talking about. I just don't agree that Monroe's statement is a good example of important background information within a story.
Monroe provided information of a historical use of furis rubian. The use was religious related.
The case they are working on involves the religious use of furis rubian.
The writer is showing that what Dwight was doing was not unique. How it was done is not important, it is the fact that it was done.
How about if we call it Monroe providing Trivia. True the information had nothing to do with solving the case.
But it is important because a wesen is exposing himself. This is something that violates the council rules. The poses the question why isn't Dwight in trouble with the council. By Monroe providing that piece of Trivia it sets the precedence that the council must be ok with it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18