Grimm Forum

Full Version: Why some hate Nick so much?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
(09-21-2017, 07:11 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2017, 04:02 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]He didn't win the confidence of the wesen community. They didn't ask Nick to intervene in their problems. He did so anyway, as some kind superhero. It takes ego to do that. In other words, Nick isn't a humble man. He needs to be the center of attention.

It was a slow process. He managed to persuade one eisbiber to come forward and won over the rest by the end of that episode. By S05, a wesen who woged and bit off the head of her attacker reacted to him by saying, "you're the grimm" without any sign of fear. So word was getting around.

As a cop, Nick was supposed to pursue criminals and protect the community whether he had their confidence or not. If doing that made him not humble and needing to be the center of attention, then it applies to everyone who puts on a badge and goes out thinking he or she can can make any difference.
He even protected Adalind even though he knew she'd recently tried to kill his aunt in 1x03. They have a frank conversation about him wanting to kill her or something but in that moment she was under his protection because someone was trying to kill her after two of her colleagues were murdered.
If wesen were out in the open, the PPB billboard campaign could've put one up with a picture of Nick, his eyes all blacked out, and the message, "I'm the Grimm, I'm not going to kill you if you call 911."
(09-21-2017, 04:17 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 10:14 PM)rpmaluki Wrote: [ -> ]Nick acted because of his job, even without being a grimm he would have had to insert himself into these people's lives in order to catch the criminal.

A job given to him by Renard. We all know the forum consensus about him. But what does that say for Nick?

Nick didn't become a cop because of Renard. Renard just happened to be the captain at the precinct Nick worked at. He's also not the reason Nick became a detective.

Besides, Wesen are everywhere. He would've dealt with them during investigations no matter what city he worked in.
Yes, its detective because of Sean.
I think in this: If he was the captain should see who to accept to his charge depending on how good your background would be and promotion of charge depending on how skilled the person would be.
We don't know anything about the professional histories of either Nick or Sean, so we have no idea how long Sean was Nick's captain prior to the pilot or whether Sean had anything to do with Nick becoming a detective.
Why would we assume Renard had anything to do with Nick becoming a detective? Is that precinct the only one where Nick could find employment as a detective? The onus is on someone to prove it since nothing in the series hints at it. I would say the same for Hank as well.
(09-21-2017, 07:48 AM)eric Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe my memory is getting worst but I don't remember Nick ever going hunting for wessen just because it was a dull Thursday night and he wanted to test out some nifty weapon he found in the trailer. In a lot of the episodes he has to tell the wessen "I'm not here to kill you, just to solve a crime". Alexander said he hoped Nick didn't take it personal that they tried to kill him, Kelly might have chosen to take a little European trip combining payback and pleasure. A lot of Monroe's friends probably started to like Nick after they worked with him to put the chef in jail, saving them from overeating and putting on a few pounds.

Eric, it’s not your memory you should be questioning. The few that come up with those conclusions should be the ones guilty of memory loss, motives or just plain, WTF were they watching?
(09-21-2017, 10:43 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: [ -> ]Why would we assume Renard had anything to do with Nick becoming a detective? Is that precinct the only one where Nick could find employment as a detective? The onus is on someone to prove it since nothing in the series hints at it. I would say the same for Hank as well.

Fact, Nick as a patrolman. It’s confirmed in one of the episodes, when Juliette is recovering from her coma. While talking to Nick, about her past, she remembers meeting a patrolman, I believe at a scene of a car accident. She remembers the accident and meeting, in her words, a good looking cop. She didn’t remember who the cop was.

As for getting promoted to a detective? It would have most likely needed the Captain’s approval but we don’t know if Sean was the captain at the time.
(09-21-2017, 08:31 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2017, 04:17 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-20-2017, 10:14 PM)rpmaluki Wrote: [ -> ]Nick acted because of his job, even without being a grimm he would have had to insert himself into these people's lives in order to catch the criminal.

A job given to him by Renard. We all know the forum consensus about him. But what does that say for Nick?

Nick didn't become a cop because of Renard. Renard just happened to be the captain at the precinct Nick worked at. He's also not the reason Nick became a detective.

Besides, Wesen are everywhere. He would've dealt with them during investigations no matter what city he worked in.

I never said he did. But Renard allowed him to be a grimm and get paid for it. That was the job I was referring to.

(09-21-2017, 10:14 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]We don't know anything about the professional histories of either Nick or Sean, so we have no idea how long Sean was Nick's captain prior to the pilot or whether Sean had anything to do with Nick becoming a detective.

I don't know if Renard had anything or not to do with Nick being a detective. He did, however, have a lot to do with Nick becoming a grimm.

(09-21-2017, 07:11 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2017, 04:02 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]He didn't win the confidence of the wesen community. They didn't ask Nick to intervene in their problems. He did so anyway, as some kind superhero. It takes ego to do that. In other words, Nick isn't a humble man. He needs to be the center of attention.

It was a slow process. He managed to persuade one eisbiber to come forward and won over the rest by the end of that episode. By S05, a wesen who woged and bit off the head of her attacker reacted to him by saying, "you're the grimm" without any sign of fear. So word was getting around.

As a cop, Nick was supposed to pursue criminals and protect the community whether he had their confidence or not. If doing that made him not humble and needing to be the center of attention, then it applies to everyone who puts on a badge and goes out thinking he or she can can make any difference.

It wasn't a slow process, it wasn't even going to be a process, ever. If you look upon him as a superhero, he's much like any other superhero. In other words, he impresses how he thinks things should be handled, on a species that's not even his own.

As for being a cop, was he once he became a grimm, or was he just impersonating a cop? It certainly makes me wonder with Nick picking his own battles.
(09-21-2017, 04:29 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-21-2017, 10:43 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: [ -> ]Why would we assume Renard had anything to do with Nick becoming a detective? Is that precinct the only one where Nick could find employment as a detective? The onus is on someone to prove it since nothing in the series hints at it. I would say the same for Hank as well.

Fact, Nick as a patrolman. It’s confirmed in one of the episodes, when Juliette is recovering from her coma. While talking to Nick, about her past, she remembers meeting a patrolman, I believe at a scene of a car accident. She remembers the accident and meeting, in her words, a good looking cop. She didn’t remember who the cop was.

As for getting promoted to a detective? It would have most likely needed the Captain’s approval but we don’t know if Sean was the captain at the time.

If anything, I think Nick's history with Renard would've been brought up when he found out about him and Juliette and learning he was a Zauberbiest. I don't think the writers would've passed up adding even more drama to that arc. It would've made Renard's seeming betrayal that much more powerful.

I could see Nick saying something like he was a mentor or he's the reason he became a detective. It could've been interspersed with Renard and Juliette making out. Nothing of the sort ever came up so I have no reason to believe Nick wouldn't have gotten to where he is without Renard.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24