Grimm Forum

Full Version: How the contract fits
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Dicap, as far as I know the word "bastard" today is applied to a bad person, not a child born out of wedlock. Renard was a bastard under both uses of the word. I am old enough to remember when a fallen woman was scorned by the community, as far as I know (I live in a conservative area) that is no longer the case. Sex outside of marriage by men and women is not considered a reason why they should be shunned by the community. Being a "bastard" as defined above is a reason.
(04-16-2018, 10:06 AM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Now, you ask, was I also one of those "NYC Brooklyn Type Yahoo Skier"? Yes I was, only difference, I was also a ski instructor and I knew how to ski and avoid them other Yahoos. CAPISCE??

No, I don't. I could care less what you do. I just think it's hilarious that you seem to take pride in releasing the most boring and mundane things about yourself. But then, that's what bullies do. 10 minute wonder.
(04-16-2018, 10:45 AM)eric Wrote: [ -> ]Dicap, as far as I know the word "bastard" today is applied to a bad person, not a child born out of wedlock. Renard was a bastard under both uses of the word. I am old enough to remember when a fallen woman was scorned by the community, as far as I know (I live in a conservative area) that is no longer the case. Sex outside of marriage by men and women is not considered a reason why they should be shunned by the community. Being a "bastard" as defined above is a reason.

I was using the word "bastard" to show how usage has changed but they still have the original meaning. Just because it's use has been applied to mean more, it doesn't take away from its original use and meaning, it only adds to it. Same as the definition of a prostitute. Just because women are more in acceptance to be more promiscuous than just men, it doesn't change the definition

Merriam-Webster Definition of prostitute:
prostituted; prostituting, transitive verb

1 : to offer indiscriminately for sexual intercourse especially for money
2 : to devote to corrupt or unworthy purposes : DEBASE - prostitute one's talents

Notice it says "especially for money" not just restricted to direct cash

Here is the Urban Dictionary version: prostitute

1. (n.) One who will perform sexual acts if payment can be arranged. (Payment does not have to be money).

Here is Juliette's line before she does the deed with Ken.

Juliette; If I'm gonna be working with the Royal Family, you need to have a very clear understanding of just how valuable I can be.

Was she giving her vacuum cleaner for payment from the Royals which was represented by Ken? Or was she trading something else for value in return, like sex? Was there an exchange of cash for the deed, NO. But she did add it to her other services rendered for valued compensation? YES.

What Ken and the King later on promised her for helping them to get Diana back and the more happy endings to come. Yea, we didn't see what they actually did. I am sure by that scene, we can all take an educated guess on what the "writers intent" was to follow. BTW, if you wish to use the word to mean more in today's use, prostituting oneself is not just restricted to sex. See item #2 under the Webster one.

You decide. To me, sex for value in return is, by definitions above, prostitution!

(04-16-2018, 10:56 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2018, 10:06 AM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Now, you ask, was I also one of those "NYC Brooklyn Type Yahoo Skier"? Yes I was, only difference, I was also a ski instructor and I knew how to ski and avoid them other Yahoos. CAPISCE??

No, I don't. I could care less what you do. I just think it's hilarious that you seem to take pride in releasing the most boring and mundane things about yourself. But then, that's what bullies do. 10 minute wonder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKc_018S_Eg
Quote:Juliette; If I'm gonna be working with the Royal Family, you need to have a very clear understanding of just how valuable I can be.
Dicappatore did you really not understand that scene. You do not really think Eve, Adalind, or even Seans mother's value to the Royals was for sex. They are hexenbiest with the ability to perform magic. Just like when Juliette was with Sean and she said this is going to really hurt, she was being sarcastic. That scene was not even that deep. Yet you only see it from a literal point of view.

Do you really think that Clair,Bitsie, or Breee would play a part where the female character was portrayed as being objectified. In interviews you never hear them complain, it is about how the writers show the women as being empowered. Yet you constantly try and find negativity in the female characters. Like I pointed out before you took the statements of going on dates and her grandmother warning about back sets, as proof of Juliette having sex. Now you are taking a sarcastic statement as proof of prostitution. Juliette leaves Nick and sleeps with Sean. She leaves Sean and sleeps with Ken, By definition that is being monogamous, yet you want to say it is being a slut.

What is even funnier is You never make a coherent reply. You only call names, or spout some irrational reasoning by posting some meaning of a word, or none related dialog. Just once show you have the intellectual ability to provide a coherent answer.
(04-16-2018, 10:06 AM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Negative, I did think he should have stood up more to Juliette because I was referring his behavior as being a bit to unrealistic for a main stream man/detective let alone what we have learned about the "fantasy" Grimms. I do not claim that "push over men" do not exist, they are just not in the majority, from my perspective.

Hey, if someone wishes to point out a connection out of thin air, go for it. Just as I have the same right to "call a spade a spade". In other words, when you can condense six to seven years of a more than a half dozen characters in the time of, lets say 45min/episode, times 123 episodes equates to 5535 minutes divided by 24 hours equals about 230 days. Better yet, divided by 12 hours equates to 461 days.

Then you take 8 characters times 365 days = 2920 times 6 year = 17,520 days in total. 461, 12 hour days, compared to 17,520 24 hour days or 35,040 12 hour days. 461 days out of a possible 35,040 days? All you are going to get is to see just the tree and not the rest of the forest. I am sure imagination does a great job in filling in the blanks, but we are all free to point out what imaginations are ridiculous.
It’s irrelevant that you think Nick’s behavior doesn’t fit the mainstream detective/Grimm persona other than it’s your personal opinion and you have a right to share it without being attacked just because someone disagrees with you. Perhaps you could extend that courtesy to others.

syscrash merely shared a theory as to how the writers could have connected the dots between Adalind’s contract with Stefania in S3 and Zerstörer’s appearance in S6, if they had chosen to. He never suggested that the show made that connection or even hinted that it existed. Yet, you keep harping about people making up connections out of thin air and ridiculous imaginations. syscrash’s theory is no more made up or ridiculous than your opinion that Nick should have been more assertive. They're both simply personal opinions and preferences concerning the creative team's choices.
(04-16-2018, 12:57 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-16-2018, 10:45 AM)eric Wrote: [ -> ]Dicap, as far as I know the word "bastard" today is applied to a bad person, not a child born out of wedlock. Renard was a bastard under both uses of the word. I am old enough to remember when a fallen woman was scorned by the community, as far as I know (I live in a conservative area) that is no longer the case. Sex outside of marriage by men and women is not considered a reason why they should be shunned by the community. Being a "bastard" as defined above is a reason.

I was using the word "bastard" to show how usage has changed but they still have the original meaning. Just because it's use has been applied to mean more, it doesn't take away from its original use and meaning, it only adds to it. Same as the definition of a prostitute. Just because women are more in acceptance to be more promiscuous than just men, it doesn't change the definition

Merriam-Webster Definition of prostitute:
prostituted; prostituting, transitive verb

1 : to offer indiscriminately for sexual intercourse especially for money
2 : to devote to corrupt or unworthy purposes : DEBASE - prostitute one's talents

Notice it says "especially for money" not just restricted to direct cash

Here is the Urban Dictionary version: prostitute

1. (n.) One who will perform sexual acts if payment can be arranged. (Payment does not have to be money).

Here is Juliette's line before she does the deed with Ken.

Juliette; If I'm gonna be working with the Royal Family, you need to have a very clear understanding of just how valuable I can be.

Was she giving her vacuum cleaner for payment from the Royals which was represented by Ken? Or was she trading something else for value in return, like sex? Was there an exchange of cash for the deed, NO. But she did add it to her other services rendered for valued compensation? YES.

What Ken and the King later on promised her for helping them to get Diana back and the more happy endings to come. Yea, we didn't see what they actually did. I am sure by that scene, we can all take an educated guess on what the "writers intent" was to follow. BTW, if you wish to use the word to mean more in today's use, prostituting oneself is not just restricted to sex. See item #2 under the Webster one.

You decide. To me, sex for value in return is, by definitions above, prostitution!

(04-16-2018, 10:56 AM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKc_018S_Eg
Dear Decap, its always nice to be reminded how bastard and prostitute were used in the 19th century, welcome to the 21st.
(04-16-2018, 12:57 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKc_018S_Eg

(Laughs) Just to burst your bubble here, I have never looked at any of these goofy youtube inserts you seem to delight in sharing. At the same time, I have yet to read any comments about them. That tells me no one else is looking either.

But if that's all the better you can do to spend your day is peruse youtube in order to insult, it just goes to show that once again, you really are a bully. 10 minute wonder.
The vast majority of conversations in which I see or hear the words, "bastard," "prostitute," "slut" or "whore" used today are about political office holders.
(04-16-2018, 02:49 PM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Juliette; If I'm gonna be working with the Royal Family, you need to have a very clear understanding of just how valuable I can be.
Dicappatore did you really not understand that scene. You do not really think Eve, Adalind, or even Seans mother's value to the Royals was for sex. They are hexenbiest with the ability to perform magic. Just like when Juliette was with Sean and she said this is going to really hurt, she was being sarcastic. That scene was not even that deep. Yet you only see it from a literal point of view.

Do you really think that Clair,Bitsie, or Breee would play a part where the female character was portrayed as being objectified. In interviews you never hear them complain, it is about how the writers show the women as being empowered. Yet you constantly try and find negativity in the female characters. Like I pointed out before you took the statements of going on dates and her grandmother warning about back sets, as proof of Juliette having sex. Now you are taking a sarcastic statement as proof of prostitution. Juliette leaves Nick and sleeps with Sean. She leaves Sean and sleeps with Ken, By definition that is being monogamous, yet you want to say it is being a slut.

What is even funnier is You never make a coherent reply. You only call names, or spout some irrational reasoning by posting some meaning of a word, or none related dialog. Just once show you have the intellectual ability to provide a coherent answer.

No, you are the one that doesn't seem to understand what prostituting oneself means. Sex can be it and also part of it not just IT. Man, learn to frekin comprehend the meaning of words. Do you need an explanation of this part of the definition?

If I have to explain it, I will require a purchase order with payment in advance for my services.
Quote:No, you are the one that doesn't seem to understand what prostituting oneself means. Sex can be it and also part of it not just IT. Man, learn to frekin comprehend the meaning of words. Do you need an explanation of this part of the definition?

I understand you position. But your position only applies to the show if you equate the activity to your definition.

here is an example. are sex scenes in movies prostitution. If you use the strict definition the two actors are being paid to have sex. But I am sure you will never see the GOT directors charged with pimping or pandering. The thing in your point of view that you are missing is context and intent.

that is why "2 : to devote to corrupt or unworthy purposes : DEBASE - prostitute one's talents" does not apply to any of the characters in Grimm. Even Adalind, she may have used sex to enact a spell, but because it was a means of delivery your definition would not apply. With Juliette, like i said her value was not the sex it was her magical abilities. It is all about the context and intent.

Lets use another example. You date someone they buy you things. that is not prostitution. even if you brag about how good you are.

You keep riposting the definition as if that proves your point. Make a coherent argument to support your position.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10