Grimm Forum

Full Version: Z and the Child Bride
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
In ancient times, grimms worked for various royal families to control their wesen armies and for various local governments that had "wesen problems." In the modern world, some grimms apparently worked as hired muscle, based on Ian Harmon's question about how much Monroe's grimm friend charged him for helping him, but other than working for official government agencies or becoming PIs or private security, I can't think of any other reason for them to do what they do besides serial killer or vigilante. Nick was in law enforcement and at first tried to put the job first, only going grimm when it was unavoidable. But once he discovered that his own captain was part of the wesen subculture and the royals started attacking him, I'd say things pretty much went all to hell and he ended up drinking the grimm tradition kool aid.
I think you're right on this one. I know there was a topic somewhere on what other jobs Grimms could do, but if I remember correctly, most posters indicated they would be working in jobs that veered toward violence. Even Trubel, who I thought could have a chance at a normal life, became a mercenary. Maybe this is the reason Grimms are so rare. There isn't much of a place for them.
One idea that was never explored on the series was grimms who might have rejected the life. I just find it hard to believe that all through the centuries every single person who ever developed grimm abilities decided to take up a life of hunting down wesen.

Nick had no idea that there was anything unusual about his mother, had never seen the trailer before Marie showed up with it in the pilot, had no idea that Marie was anything other than a librarian in a small town in Montana who raised him after his parents' deaths, and never came across any entry in the books made by her (or, for that matter, any other family member he actually knew, like his mother or grandfather). So it seems pretty likely to me that once Kelly had Nick she kept a low profile and when Marie broke off her engagement to Farley Kolt to take on raising Nick she stashed that trailer somewhere out of sight and went underground until Nick had grown up and moved out.

So if grimms know where wesen populations are concentrated, there must have been grimms who looked at the life and all it would mean, then chose to move somewhere the odds of encountering wesen were as low as possible, pursued occupations with little or no public interaction, wore sunglasses a lot and treated requests for updates from Joseph Nebosja like junk mail.
I would think there would have to be instances of Grimms relocating where there are little to no wesen. But how a Grimm would make that distinction is anyone's best guess. The Grimms we got to know in the series did not seem to possess that kind of foresight. 

But that raises questions in my mind. Are Grimms irresistibly drawn to places where there are a lot of wesen? If Nick was raised in Montana, what would have made him relocate to Portland, Oregon?
If grimms were drawn to places where wesen congregate, you would think there'd be more of them in Portland. Or perhaps most US grimms avoid the place because they know how many wesen are there?

Nick and his parents lived in upstate New York, and from the apparently quiet life Nick had until the night Marie came for him there probably weren't many wesen around for Kelly to worry about. Same for Montana where Marie raised Nick. Rolek Porter was also able to raise his son to not have a clue about his life as a grimm, so Philadelphia was probably a good place to avoid wesen as well until Rolek exposed his identity by coming to Portland looking for Nick.

We don't know much of anything about Nick's travels after leaving Montana, except that at some point he went to Mexico, drank a lot of mescal and returned with an Elvis lamp, which is a pretty southern California thing to do.
Nick moved to Portland before he became a Grimm. There is nothing to suggest that wesen are unevenly distributed geographically. Whenever we see something happening outside of Portland, it's wesen everywhere. When Nick went to Germany, for example, EVERYONE he met was wesen. Even the priest. The reason Portland is the hot spot, when it comes to sky-high numbers of brutal wesen murders per capita, royals trying to take over the world, or an impending world war, is simply that Nick lives in Portland. In most superhero shows, the villains (in this case wesen or the royal family) show up in the hero's hometown. Why? To keep production costs down. We know there are wesen problems in Philadelphia, because Trubel had to help Josh. Rolek also seemed to be experienced, for he was able to kill a wesen from the Verrat, even though he was old and dying. Some Grimms may have travelled around hunting for wesen that committed murder, but that was essentially a thing of the past. A key premise in the series was that Nick was one of the last Grimms. The few who appeared in the show turned out to be relatives. When this series took place, no one had ever seen a Grimm before Nick appeared.
(12-07-2021, 03:00 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]If grimms were drawn to places where wesen congregate, you would think there'd be more of them in Portland. 

What I have read of Portland, it and the surrounding areas encompass approximately 2 million people. I don't think it's inconceivable that there are more Grimms there. Who says they have to keep in touch with one another or for that matter, would even bump into each other?
Prior to coming to Portland, Josh had believed his father's stories about his past were indications of insanity or dementia. This tells us that the Porters probably weren't attack targets before Rolek and Josh left home to come to Portland. We got a pretty good idea of how hard it would be to keep your family in the dark about your life as an active grimm from Nick and Juliette's home life in season 1.

Did we ever see any locations other than Portland and Austria? We know that the royals and BC were attempting to foment chaos worldwide, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there were a lot of wesen living in all the places they were tying to cause troubles. It's a pretty big unknown. As far as I can remember, nobody ever said something like "x% of the population is wesen" about any place, including Portland.

Nobody seemed to have ever seen a grimm before Nick, and once Nick came into his grimm, word about him spread pretty fast. There could have been more grimms in Portland, but if there were my guess is they kept to themselves and wore sunglasses a lot.
(12-07-2021, 04:22 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]Prior to coming to Portland, Josh had believed his father's stories about his past were indications of insanity or dementia. This tells us that the Porters probably weren't attack targets before Rolek and Josh left home to come to Portland. We got a pretty good idea of how hard it would be to keep your family in the dark about your life as an active grimm from Nick and Juliette's home life in season 1.

Did we ever see any locations other than Portland and Austria? We know that the royals and BC were attempting to foment chaos worldwide, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there were a lot of wesen living in all the places they were tying to cause troubles. It's a pretty big unknown. As far as I can remember, nobody ever said something like "x% of the population is wesen" about any place, including Portland.

Nobody seemed to have ever seen a grimm before Nick, and once Nick came into his grimm, word about him spread pretty fast. There could have been more grimms in Portland, but if there were my guess is they kept to themselves and wore sunglasses a lot.
Renard said 90% of all crimes was committed by wesen and the war against BC took place all over the world. Marie said Nick was one of the last Grimms. Monroe was meant to know a lot about the world of wesen and he said he never thought he would see a Grimm. Renard went to Europe and bragged about having a Grimm, something he claimed no one else could "bring to the table". In addition, all living and dead Grimms were documented in the handwritten book that Bonaparte wanted.
(12-07-2021, 04:22 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]We got a pretty good idea of how hard it would be to keep your family in the dark about your life as an active grimm from Nick and Juliette's home life in season 1.

And yet, Reed, Kelly, and Marie managed to keep Nick in the dark.

(12-07-2021, 04:22 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]Nobody seemed to have ever seen a grimm before Nick, and once Nick came into his grimm, word about him spread pretty fast.

We can't say with any certainty that there weren't more Grimms in Portland. Just because they don't make themselves known doesn't mean there aren't more there, or they were there and left the area. As we discussed previously, there aren't a lot of jobs available for those who have a talent for killing, and not much else.

As for word spreading quickly about the Nick the Grimm being in town, it seems to me most wesen who encountered him were pretty close mouthed about it. Now I'm thinking of the wesen he helped. who could have easily spread the word to others about the help they got. There wasn't any episode where a wesen said, "Oh by the way, the frog girl said you really helped her and she said you could help me too".

All of the people he helped and not one said a thing about him.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14