Grimm Forum

Full Version: Z and the Child Bride
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(12-07-2021, 04:44 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-07-2021, 04:22 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]We got a pretty good idea of how hard it would be to keep your family in the dark about your life as an active grimm from Nick and Juliette's home life in season 1.

And yet, Reed, Kelly, and Marie managed to keep Nick in the dark.

(12-07-2021, 04:22 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]Nobody seemed to have ever seen a grimm before Nick, and once Nick came into his grimm, word about him spread pretty fast.

If word spread so quickly about Nick, then why were so many wesen surprised by him? When Nick and Hank were called to investigate a crime, there was always some wesen who would woge, state, "Ah....you're a Grimm!", then try to get away.

And while Grimms might be attracted to wesen in Portland, there was something we spoke of earlier that might not keep them in the area; jobs for killers.
Not really. Juliette did not believe Nick, even with everything that had happened. Nick was just a child and was hardly a target for wesen kidnappings etc. Marie traveled around with Nick to keep him away from wesen. Many of the situations in the house were linked to Nick's job.
Quote:I don't understand what you mean when you say this:

Juliette did not believe Nick, even with everything that had happened.

Exactly what did Juliette witness that should have convinced her to believe Nick?

I guess I'm not going to get an answer to this, so I'll comment on a couple of things. First, Nick DIDN't BELIEVE what he saw WITH HIS OWN EYES when Adalind woged at him. Secondly, I'm not sure what Juliette has to do with the recent discussion. That's why I asked for clarification.

Quote:Nick was just a child and was hardly a target for wesen kidnappings, etc.

Really? Why did Kelly call Marie then?
(12-07-2021, 04:22 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]Prior to coming to Portland, Josh had believed his father's stories about his past were indications of insanity or dementia. This tells us that the Porters probably weren't attack targets before Rolek and Josh left home to come to Portland. 

Regarding Josh, doesn't this seem really harsh, especially if the Porters weren't attack targets? I don't know of any parents who haven't told their kids something bizarre or weird only to have their kids think of them as demented or insane. Kids believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. These are actually beneficial, so let's go darker. Kids believe in the boogey man and ghosts, vampires and mummies. Lots of people believe aliens are flying around the planet. Josh's father telling him about people who can change their form isn't such a big deal that he would suddenly look at his father as insane. He would have seen as much, if not more, as a kid on television. The one thing I can say for Josh's father is that he didn't hide what he was from his son in a secret trailer somewhere or pretend he was dead.

That also raises questions. If there are Grimms that move to places with little to no wesen, are there also Grimms who take steps to make sure they don't have children who might become Grimms?
I didn't intend to be harsh about Josh. My point was that if Rolek had been frequently required to defend his home and family against attacks by wesen, either targeted ones by verrat sent by royals or random ones resulting from a passing wesen recognizing the presence of a grimm, then what he tried to tell Josh would have had credibility. So my thinking is that while Rolek raised Josh he wasn't actively grimming or he was away a lot on "business trips." Either way, it would mean that the family home was in a "wesen safe" location. The entries in the grimm books all seemed to be by travelling grimms, so this is probably what grimms always did, find somewhere safe to leave their families while they went on their missions.

From what we saw in the grimm family tree book, the grimm didn't seem to skip generations. If you're a grimm and you don't have any children, the grimm line in your family ends with you. So if you wanted it to end, you could definitely make that happen.
I am sorry, I wasn't saying you were harsh. I was talking about Josh being harsh about his father. So sorry about that miscommunication.
Got it, no problem. Josh's reaction to what Rolek was trying to tell him was perfectly reasonable, as long as we're assuming that he went through his entire life without ever seeing a wesen or experiencing a wesen attack before what he went through in Portland.
I was taking the approach that Josh's father broke the news to Josh when Josh was a boy. I think children have a much easier perspective and if his father told him he was a Grimm who fought people who could change their shape, there would be no reason why he wouldn't believe his father. If Josh's father showed him the accessories he used to fight wesen, it would be all the more believable, I think.

Now if he broke the news to Josh as an adult, I would expect Josh to do more than just sit there like a mushroom. I would expect him to ask questions, and even ask for some proof. Even at that, if he still didn't buy dad's story, I wouldn't expect Josh to take the position that his dad is insane or demented. I'd expect him to just chalk it up to a tall tale told by Dad. Josh not giving his dad the benefit of the doubt just seems really harsh to me. His dad never exhibited any other weird behavior other than to tell an outrageous story.

But I have to say, I never understood the whole idea of the character of Josh. There was nothing about the character that made me want to see more of him. I was glad Trubel never decided to become romantically involved with him. To me, his only purpose was to be the instrument who gives Nick more toys to play with.
The only clue we have as to timing is Josh saying that his father had had that sketch of a hundjager since "forever." So it was probably a long time ago, but that's just a guess.

But to use your childhood stories analogy, if my dad and told me about the Easter Bunny when I was a child and then years later when he was old and dying he insisted that I had to drive him all the way across the country so he could give his box of toys to someone neither of us had ever met and that we were in danger from hordes of killer rabbits who would murder us to get them, I think my reaction might not have been too different from Josh's.

And yeah, Rolek and Josh existed mostly to get another key into Nick's hands (the toybox was a bonus and we never saw it again after its first appearance). I have no idea why they brought Josh back the next season, except maybe to give Jacqueline Toboni a sidekick when she temporarily became Portland's only grimm and an excuse to leave the show for a while so she could go back and finish her degree.
If I felt my dad was really and truly losing it, there's no way I would comply with a demand to drive him across the country. Josh felt his dad was insane, yet complied with his request. Not only is he harsh, he also seems to be somewhat of a hypocrite.
I don't think we know if Josh thought Rolek was insane before he ran the "hotel cable guy" through with a sword in their hotel room. Before that happened he might have just thought he was humoring his eccentric dad's last wish.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14