Grimm Forum

Full Version: S03E07 - Cold Blooded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Season 3 Episode 7
Cold Blooded

[Image: j60J6usl.jpg]

Air Date: December 13, 2013
Synopsis: As a deadly crime spree begins to surface, a century-old urban legend takes shape in Portland's sewers and becomes Nick's (David Giuntoli) latest case. In Europe, Adalind (Claire Coffee) meets Prince Viktor (guest star Alexis Denisof) , who’s come to bring those responsible for his cousin Eric’s demise to justice. Meanwhile, Captain Renard (Sasha Roiz) responds to the recent attempt on his life. Bitsie Tulloch, Russell Hornsby, Silas Weir Mitchell, Reggie Lee and Bree Turner also star.

Trailer
Spoiler :
I do say, Assassin's Creed in the house.
I have to say, I didn't love this episode. Usually the hour Grimm is on flies by for me, but this episode seemed to plod along.
Wesen-of-the-week bits were kind of "meh", although it was cool to find out that Grimm were known to other (and much older) cultures.

The Resistance/Verrat/Royal stuff was more interesting. But I did find the whole clambering about the sewer thing creepy. Little too much like vadding or spelunking with the added horror of water and ... "water". Poor Wu though, having to pick through all that submerged junk. That dude is always getting the short end of the stick.
Interesting, I thought the other way around. I only was shocked how cold blooded those brothers were. The storyline around the resistance and Renard ... I think I've watched and read those storylines too much. And Viktor, what I already thought after the Sneak Peek, is completely meh! for me. Major baddy? That guy is a clown! Oh, he's watching Adalind per camera, how dangerous he is! That was absolutely ridiculous!

(more hopeful on Monday together with the picspam)
This episode reminds a lot of what I liked about Seasons 1 and 2 of Grimm, but not Season 3. One good character is worth a hundred great plot devices. In Grimm's earlier seasons, most episodes were about developing a quality villain/antagonist for Nick, and the show was pretty successful at that. We had Ariel the Dragonfeuer, the serial killing Blutbad, Edgar Waltz the Hundjaeger, Kimura, and the Three Schakal in Three Coins in a Fuchsbau. These were all damn good villains/characters.

In Season 3, nearly every episode has been about developing a plot device. In this one, it was about using the sewer system as an escape route for the bad wessen. The actual villain in this episode only gets about 3 or 4 lines of screentime though. Then, the writers throw another plot device in that the main baddy had brothers. Plot devices are good in enhancing an episode, but they're not that interesting if the viewer isn't emotionally invested already.

The problem, though, is that there are too many side plots going on (in this episode, it was Renard and the Royal resistance, in the next episode, it's the lame soap opera plot how Rosalee doesn't like Christmas). These side plot are necessary for giving several regular cast members actual screentime, but they are really screwing over many episodes of Grimm. I liked this episode, but it would have been much better if the screentime for the Renard plotline was given to the main villain.

A couple regular cast members need to die on this show.
If any regular cast members have to die, let's make it Renard and the bunch, I don't care for the side plot. Wink

Random thought -- the device that Nick's ancestors passed down to fight the sewer monsters (to lasy to look up their "proper" names) -- isn't it kind of dangerous with the blade coming out the "inner" side of the wrist? It could conceivably cut the wearer's hand off or pierce it if the hand is flexed. Wouldn't it be better on the "back"side of the arm, like Wolverine's claws (?).
That weapon wasn't that new, and usually the knife is coming up from the inner part of the wrist, not the sides. The sides you need to protect against hits, and it makes sense to have the knife on the weakest part of the wrist.

Now I want names, as personally the only one right now I want to die (shame on me) is Nick.
Looking at the picture on top of this page: the Galumcaedus are somewhat cute, aren't they? Right out of sesame street Big Grin.
-you don't have to agree with me-

All of the fighting in this and the Krampus-episode took place where it's dark and you could see nearly nothing, only hear the noise. It saves money for sure.

Now we have a new word for Grimms "Decapitare" - I agree with Nick, nice word.

Galumcaedus - is this supposed to be latin? I can't translate it.

They are really filming in Austria, I didn't believe it till this ep. Nice! For me it's a bit strage, Renard among the resistance. He's been a really dominant character in the past, I don't buy he can be one of many freedom fighters.

Adalind keeps rubbing her belly with this disgusting Hexenbiest-paste -yuck-
This time we saw no skull, it was a spider. Does this mean something? What does actually grow in there? Two pulses, remember.
This was not the best episode of S3, in my view. But I like the side plot. The new royal guy (forget his name) is very boring. Or should I say blank. Hope he get's more personality by time.
Normally I'm not a big Nick fan but in the last few episodes he change to a not so big girl. That's surprising me.

(12-15-2013, 05:40 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]Galumcaedus - is this supposed to be latin? I can't translate it.

The only translation that makes any sence is leather (hemlet) carrion eating animal. But I speak no latin. Blush
Pages: 1 2 3