Grimm Forum

Full Version: S03E07 - Cold Blooded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(12-15-2013, 05:40 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]They are really filming in Austria, I didn't believe it till this ep. Nice! For me it's a bit strage, Renard among the resistance. He's been a really dominant character in the past, I don't buy he can be one of many freedom fighters.
Ahh, I was wondering about this. Thank you for confirming the filming location of the Renard plot. One thing I don't like about filming most of the show in Portland is that Portland is a fairly warm city being on the coast, so it rarely snows there or for an extended period of time to enable shooting. Since apparently the producers are exploring options with shooting scenes away from Portland, that means we may get a snow episode yet.
I definitely think they're letting Nick get a taste for the "old school" Grimming, which is odd considering they're also making him struggle with the ethics. Apparently killing three gators in the sewers is just good clean fun, but executing a Krampus is a major moral dilemma. Maybe its only Säugetierewesen (heh, I can do it too!) that deserve mercy...Tongue
(12-15-2013, 05:40 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]They are really filming in Austria, I didn't believe it till this ep. Nice! For me it's a bit strage, Renard among the resistance. He's been a really dominant character in the past, I don't buy he can be one of many freedom fighters.

You're sure about that? Because for me it still looks quite american. But, okay, I live in NRW and that's definitely more north than Austria Wink
(12-15-2013, 05:40 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]All of the fighting in this and the Krampus-episode took place where it's dark and you could see nearly nothing, only hear the noise. It saves money for sure.
Thank you! I understand it's dark in the sewers, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief if it means I can actually SEE what's going on! My frustration over that might be part of the reason I couldn't get into this episode. That, and I think they devoted too much time to the whole Renard B-plot. I hope that doesn't continue, although it's nice to see how different Renard seems (posture, etc.) when he's not on his turf.

Quote:They are really filming in Austria, I didn't believe it till this ep. Nice!
How did you find that out? I know the location of the so-called safe-house is a real place, but I didn't know they were shooting interiors overseas as well.
(12-15-2013, 07:38 PM)Nic118 Wrote: [ -> ]That, and I think they devoted too much time to the whole Renard B-plot. I hope that doesn't continue, although it's nice to see how different Renard seems (posture, etc.) when he's not on his turf.
While I have some issues with the Renard B-plot, it's still light years better than the horrendous Adalind baby plot that I've (and similarly-minded fans) had to sit through for the past 20 episodes. That one blows.

(12-15-2013, 07:38 PM)Nic118 Wrote: [ -> ]How did you find that out? I know the location of the so-called safe-house is a real place, but I didn't know they were shooting interiors overseas as well.
I think Gretel's statement only referred to exterior scenes. However, I imagine that since the producers needed a large number of actors who could perform accented English, they're probably using local Austrian/European actors. Therefore, if any actors are in both the outdoor scenes and the indoor scenes, the indoor scene was probably in Europe as well.
OK my friends, I'm not that sure anymore.
I had a good feeling about the scenes are filmed in Austria, they really took some effort to fake it.

First, the Audi car Travitian/Frenay (?) was driving has an Austrian licence plate, white cross on red shield: Vienna. But there's no Vignette-sticker in the front window, and every car needs it to drive the Austrian Autobahn. I don't know the Austrian police out of personal experience (lucky me Big Grin) but the uniform looked OK. The Verrat members Travitian/Frenay killed didn't say a word so I can't say if they could have been Austrian actors. The resistance fighters spoke really good German, actually too good for Austrians, they usually have a typical idiom. The half-timbered house looked very Austrian to me, and I really don't know if you can find houses like this in the US (I've never been there) but it's absolutely possible of course.
What made me change my mind at last is this:
[Image: signpcsm9.jpg]
I had a look in Google earth, the route planner says from Vordernberg to Liezen it's about 79 km, the L116 is not too far, it can fit. But: A Vordenberg without this "r" doesn't exist. Signs usually don't have spelling errors. And they don't have wooden poles.
So @Hyndara Hats off! My gut feeling was wrong, you are right.
But nice faking, even the yellow markings on the road seem Austrian.
(12-16-2013, 07:42 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]I had a look in Google earth, the route planner says from Vordernberg to Liezen it's about 79 km, the L116 is not too far, it can fit. But: A Vordenberg without this "r" doesn't exist. Signs usually don't have spelling errors. And they don't have wooden poles.
So @Hyndara Hats off! My gut feeling was wrong, you are right.
But nice faking, even the yellow markings on the road seem Austrian.

Ahh, but that just means the sign is fake, and not necessarily the location. However, we are faced with two possibilities.

1.) One of the writers did their research on the Austrian license plate, the Austrian uniform and the half-timbered home. However, the writer missed (or the art department could not obtain) the Vignette-sticker. I really think the sign was just a typo and figuring it was an American TV show, the art department was too lazy to fix it.

2.) The Grimm producers filmed several of Renard's scenes in Europe.

Which explanation is more easily believed? Probably (1). However, that doesn't mean (1) is definitely the answer, but it's probably the better position. The only thing that really stood out for me in your post that truly rules out Austria is that the German was not noticeably Austrian. That likely rules out the guest actors as being Austrian actors, and if you aren't using Austrian actors, there's really no motivation for the producers to film in Europe (or at least Austria) quite yet.

Still, the scenes may be shot away from Portland, which is what I most want to find out.
@Gretel:
I have to confess, that wasn't guessing. I knew they didn't film in Europe (so far) because they didn't get the greenlight to do so. The house I've seen somewhere else before (don't nail me but probably Warehouse13) and know it is somewhere in Washington State. I also knew a part of the crew were filming near Seattle for a while. My guess, they did the Renard storyline there.
At least the trees in the background. The usual forest for middle Europe is mixed but without sprouces, instead a few firs and some pines. On screen were sprouces, no firs and no pines, but some birches (which also could fit, true, but not that deep in the woods).

Full review and picspam are now available at my LJ
The Austrian warehouse is in Portland and the Austrian house is in Hillsboro
(12-15-2013, 05:40 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]Now we have a new word for Grimms "Decapitare" - I agree with Nick, nice word.

Galumcaedus - is this supposed to be latin? I can't translate it.

Decapitare sounds like a Latin verbe (I didn't learn this verbe but it makes sense [de+capitare]) and it probably doesn't mean "the one who cuts off (heads)" (or something, I don't remember exactly what they said it meant). I think they just used it because it sounds good. If it has something to do with ''cutting off'' the translation would more likely be 'to cut off'.

Galumcaedus is (probably) Latin because ''caedus'' means prey and a galumcaedus is a crocodile-like wesen (that kills his prey) so it could make some sense.
Pages: 1 2 3