Grimm Forum

Full Version: S03E07 - Cold Blooded
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thank you @Abc10 !
We can't find Galum in latin because it's wrong Blush
The Wesen is called Gelumcaedus.
Gelum means ice or frost.
So it means something like "icy prey".

When looking for caedus (I have to believe the internet since I never learned any latin) I didn't succeed.
I only found "caedes" and this means murder, carnage, spilled blood because of murder (German: Blutbad Big Grin).
So Gelumcaedes would be pretty close to the episode title "cold blooded"
So-so episode

Concerning the subject of word origin, Rosalee said Decapitaire was Latin and the Gelumcaedus wesen would have spoken Latin since they were first mentioned as members of the Praetorian Guard protecting Caligula (members of which assassinated him in real history) during the ancient Roman Empire, so it would most likely be what they called Grimm. And according to our favorite Blutbad, they retreated to the Aqueducts after the fall of the empire, so that squares with these alligator-like wesen living in the sewer systems. Plus gators are cold-blooded and the one who looked a little like a dark-haired Buzz Lightyear said he moved to Florida because he liked the sun. So there were many well-researched tie-ins to the creature, but the story still felt kinda cobbled together to me.

Agree with others that there is too much story being squeezed into these newer episodes and regrettably having so many characters to feature seems to be the explanation. I wouldn't want the task of who to remove from the show, but I can live without anyone except Renard!

Denisof is such a good actor, but he almost emotes during the short introduction scene of his character - but I'm confident he'll get more comfortable in the role.

Learned Meisner's first name is Martin - I like him. I also like Lavitian and didn't want to. I see him as just as strong a leader as Renard, but unless they work together alot of the time, maybe it won't result in a clash of egos.

Adalind seemed to me to be bonding with her baby in the 'spider' scene. But she's a hard one to read, so maybe not so much.

Nick is submerging into his role as Grimm in an almost disturbing way. He wants to use the old weaponry of his ancestors and naturally took to wielding the vambrace and even pushed it into the creature's teethy jaws. Very bold. Do we know that he actually slew the third Gelumcaedus, because he smiled down at him when he cried out that Nick had killed his brothers and that seems especially bloodthirsty for Nick. And he did have a flashback to killing the guy in the bar when he was a zombie when he first put on the vambrace. He's much stronger and aggressive now also. And his hearing, wow. Also seems to be wearing his hair differently, but maybe he just changed barbers. No problem with Nick becoming stronger and having enhanced senses and even becoming more aggressive, but he has always had a sort of honor in approaching his duties as Grimm (as well as an independence of thought), and I wouldn't like to see that lost.
I also have the impression Nick is becoming more aggressive, but he didn't plan killing the Gelumcaedi, he was surprised by their attack on them. If he had killed the Krampus that would have really been cold blooded, because Krampus was passed out at that time.
(12-16-2013, 07:09 PM)Abc10 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-15-2013, 05:40 AM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]Now we have a new word for Grimms "Decapitare" - I agree with Nick, nice word.

Galumcaedus - is this supposed to be latin? I can't translate it.

Decapitare sounds like a Latin verbe (I didn't learn this verbe but it makes sense [de+capitare]) and it probably doesn't mean "the one who cuts off (heads)" (or something, I don't remember exactly what they said it meant). I think they just used it because it sounds good. If it has something to do with ''cutting off'' the translation would more likely be 'to cut off'.
I think you're right.

Didn't they make "decapitator" of this in the German "translation"? Decapitator might actually be the correct Latin form because it ends with -or like dictator.

Btw, in modern Italien dictator became dittatore (if the online translation is correct)...maybe they confused this or "decapitare" could be the vulgarized form Wink
Pages: 1 2 3