Grimm Forum

Full Version: For the religious: are wesen human and subject to the law of God?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Many, many years ago, on one of my hiatus from going to college, as a drop-out and an engineering student with lots of math background, this agency got me a job as a bank teller. Back then, small savings bank branches had a cook on staff to cook us lunch. After a well-prepared meal, we would retire to our men’s lounge and the women had theirs to spend the rest of the lunch hour.

One of our nastiest male teller with the customers, but followed the rules, was a Jehovah Witness. Every day we had to put up with his version of preaching his beliefs while we tried to either play darts or read up on a hell of a collection of Playboy magazine’s dating back to some oldies, including the 1st Issue with Marilyn Monroe. Even the manager would get frustrated with his preaching.

One day, I got in earlier than usual and I took down some of the framed scenery lithographs off the walls and replaced them with Playboy Centerfolds over them. Lunch time came and “the infamous” teller was complaining to the manager that all those centerfolds had to come down, because it was against his beliefs to look at them.

The manager reminded him of the same freedom of speech that gave him the right to spread his version of “The Word”, gave the rest of us, the right to look at naked women. The photos stayed up and that teller had his remainder of his lunch hour break somewhere else in the building.

thecdn, I am perplexing on how do I get you to STFU, on these forums, like I did to that Jehovah Witness?
(01-13-2018, 01:51 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Many, many years ago, on one of my hiatus from going to college, as a drop-out and an engineering student with lots of math background, this agency got me a job as a bank teller. Back then, small savings bank branches had a cook on staff to cook us lunch. After a well-prepared meal, we would retire to our men’s lounge and the women had theirs to spend the rest of the lunch hour.
Hi Dicap,
Ah yes the lunch room. It was there I first saw the girl I married. Forty years and still in love. We didn't have a cook or a lounge. Some of the guys played bridge.
Best!
N G
I've lived most of my life in bastions of liberal thinking, but it's been my observation that the appearance of grumbling atheists is usually in response to someone trying to:

Introduce creationism into public school science curriculums
Erect crosses or other religious symbols on government property
Reintroduce prayer in the public schools
Claim that earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes are punishment for LGBTQ equality
Complain about "the war on Christmas"

etc.
(01-13-2018, 12:40 PM)New Guy Wrote: [ -> ]You continue to post your non-belief and continue to ignore factual data.

If you ever present a pertinent fact, I'll try to notice.

Quote:There are many Christian organizations.

Yes there are.

Quote:The Salvation Army is a Protestant Christian denomination and an international charitable organisation structured in a quasi-military fashion..
You may want to volunteer at the Salvation Army. It would do your soul good to help someone in need.

There is no such thing as a soul. I would volunteer at a non-religious organization. I chose to help people with no strings attached.

(01-13-2018, 12:42 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I asked is because I wonder how it is that religious conversations even come up with atheists.

I've worked at a small office for over 16 years. The person with the least amount of service has about 10 years. We know each other fairly well and a few I know quite well. No, we don't have a lot of religious discussions but for the reasons I stated above when it comes up I don't shy away from mentioning things.

Quote:So I'm just wondering, where it is that you encounter so many religious people bent on changing your mind?

I don't at work. There were two very religious women at work for a few years and we had some interesting but polite discussions. One moved away and one died after a pretty routine surgery - yet I'm still here. God works in mysterious ways.

(01-13-2018, 01:51 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]thecdn, I am perplexing on how do I get you to STFU, on these forums, like I did to that Jehovah Witness?

Did you really just say that? I'm picturing Grandpa Simpson yelling to the sky with the caption, "Old man yells at cloud."
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/old-man-yells-at-cloud

If New Guy stopped providing quotes from his favourite book of fiction as purported facts and you stopped your right wing nut job ranting then I would have little to reply to.

Since I don't see either of those things happening I'll guess I'll be around for awhile longer.
(01-13-2018, 01:44 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]Most "religious conversations" I have witnessed came about because someone tried to proselytize to someone else, or to promote some sort of faith-based rule or law. And the people pushing back were actually of different faiths, not avowed atheists or agnostics.

None of these ever happened in any of my workplaces. I do think that most people know better than to proselytize at work.

The reason I brought up the workplace is because most people congregate in the workplace for a good portion of their day. No one's getting up on a table in the lunchroom and preaching to everyone. That would be disturbing the peace. However, some people do become lifelong friends as the result of working together. If one takes their friendship to the next level by trying to recruit the other to their faith, it's not prohibited at work.

But even being out in public, I've never encountered anyone trying to recruit others to their faith or to atheism. I was curious where cdn encounters these people.
(01-13-2018, 09:35 PM)thecdn Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-13-2018, 12:40 PM)New Guy Wrote: [ -> ]You continue to post your non-belief and continue to ignore factual data.

If you ever present a pertinent fact, I'll try to notice.

Quote:There are many Christian organizations.

Yes there are.

Quote:The Salvation Army is a Protestant Christian denomination and an international charitable organisation structured in a quasi-military fashion..
You may want to volunteer at the Salvation Army. It would do your soul good to help someone in need.

There is no such thing as a soul. I would volunteer at a non-religious organization. I chose to help people with no strings attached.

(01-13-2018, 12:42 PM)irukandji Wrote: [ -> ]The reason I asked is because I wonder how it is that religious conversations even come up with atheists.

I've worked at a small office for over 16 years. The person with the least amount of service has about 10 years. We know each other fairly well and a few I know quite well. No, we don't have a lot of religious discussions but for the reasons I stated above when it comes up I don't shy away from mentioning things.

Quote:So I'm just wondering, where it is that you encounter so many religious people bent on changing your mind?

I don't at work. There were two very religious women at work for a few years and we had some interesting but polite discussions. One moved away and one died after a pretty routine surgery - yet I'm still here. God works in mysterious ways.

(01-13-2018, 01:51 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]thecdn, I am perplexing on how do I get you to STFU, on these forums, like I did to that Jehovah Witness?

Did you really just say that? I'm picturing Grandpa Simpson yelling to the sky with the caption, "Old man yells at cloud."
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/old-man-yells-at-cloud

If New Guy stopped providing quotes from his favourite book of fiction as purported facts and you stopped your right wing nut job ranting then I would have little to reply to.

Since I don't see either of those things happening I'll guess I'll be around for awhile longer.

you need to go back to school and take a few courses on the "Finer Art of Sarcasm"

(01-13-2018, 09:15 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]I've lived most of my life in bastions of liberal thinking, but it's been my observation that the appearance of grumbling atheists is usually in response to someone trying to:

Claim that earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes are punishment for LGBTQ equality

etc.

Face, one of the most important fact most liberals in the USA have no clue of the foundation of this country, its "Declaration of Independence" and its "Constitution". All 3 are based on a concept practiced by "Freemasons". Where do you think this whole concept of "All men are created equal" comes from? And please, there is no devil worshiping in Freemasonry. That is just another concept devised by non believers to disgrace the organization.

In a Freemason lodge, all its members were treated equal, no matter what or where their background came from. Either royalty or a cobbler, including kings, were all equal. The other requirement to be a Freemason, was the belief in a singular God. Not just a Christian God, but any of the singular deities. If you think you can eradicate all that godly influence on the foundation of this "US of A", good luck.

Freemasonry was introduced into the colonies through the British Army. Half the members of the Boston Tea Party were Freemasons. Many of the signatures of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence belonged to Freemasons. This is not an opinion, but a fact! Look it up. Look up the signatories of those documents and the members of the Boston Tea party.

I will give you a head start. George Washington, prior to the War of Independence, was a Colonel in the Colonial Army that fought along the side with British Troops against the French. When he died, he was buried wearing his Freemason Apron.
And this has what to do with people today who want to turn the US into a "Christian nation..."
(01-13-2018, 09:15 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: [ -> ]I've lived most of my life in bastions of liberal thinking, but it's been my observation that the appearance of grumbling atheists is usually in response to someone trying to:

etc.
Hi Face,
In regard to:
Quote:crosses or other religious symbols on government property:
Have you ever visited a National Cemetery such as Arlington?
[Image: 85408254.jpg]
The vast majority of grave markers have a cross engraved on them. Are atheists offended that so many Americans that served our nation were Christian?
N G
Does a cross on the grave marker indicate the person's religious affiliation or is it a religious symbol used by the government/military?
It's the same as on dog tags, it identifies the person's affiliation. As long as the families of those interred don't go around trying to make a case that it symbolizes the US is a "Christian nation," I don't have any issue with the practice.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12