Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x06 - The Three Bad Wolves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
The Three Bad Wolves

[Image: vvERZCC.jpg]

Episode: 1x06
Air Date: December 9th, 2011
Synopsis: A fire reveals a longstanding family feud and brings Munroe face-to-face with his past. Meanwhile, Nick has to keep everything from going up in flames.

Resources
Episode Summary (Grimm-Fan.com)
Screen Captures (Grimm-Fan.com)

What did you all think of the sixth episode from season one?
I have a deep fondness for this episode. It is the very first episode of Grimm I ever saw. I thought it was awesome, and hadn't enjoy an hour of television this good in years. This is where I can say I truly got addicted to the series.

After watching this episode I went back and watched the pilot and episodes 2-5. I thought the pilot was pretty good, but thought episodes 2-5 sucked (upon rewatching, I have revised my opinions on some of those episodes, except Bears will Be Bears, which still sucks).

The episode is just the perfect combination of likable guest stars, two really well-developed villains, and a TV plot that actually makes sense. I still include it among my favorite episodes of Grimm ever.

I would also like to throw out huge praise on Brad William Henke ("Hap"). He's been one of several alumni of the TV show Justified that have appeared on Grimm. He did a great job with a small role, and I wish he had stuck around longer.
This was a really good episode. I love Angelina's character. She has such a tough exterior, but is really a pretty loyal friend and loved her brothers and Monroe. Of course, you don't want her for an enemy.

Didn't know that Bauerschwein and Grimm worked together or at least got along, but that bad cop mentioned it to Nick a couple of times. Guess there's bad blood between them and Blutbaden, tho'.
Reminds me of how much I want to see some of Monroe's past. Flashback style would be great. Considering the people he used to hang out with, he has to have a very checkered past. (Why did he give it up? Did I miss the reason or has it not been mentioned?)

Also, Lt. Orson? Really? That one made me crack up. You would think Nick would be furiously thumbing through a name dictionary every time he met someone. Wesen really go for the "meaningful" names when they have kids. Learning some name origins would really cut down on the legwork, I think. That's something that has bothered me for a while. Just buy a book of names, Nick.

Did roll my eyes a little at Angelina. Find her a little ... cliched at times (guy with the mysterious and "bad" past has a semi-evil ex girlfriend isn't that shocking to me), but it mostly works here. Especially since she didn't croak in her first appearance.

Finally: that's one heck of a mud bath, dude. Had to hold my breath a little at that part. Just like underwater scenes.
(06-15-2013, 01:16 AM)pale boy Wrote: [ -> ]Also, Lt. Orson? Really? That one made me crack up. You would think Nick would be furiously thumbing through a name dictionary every time he met someone. Wesen really go for the "meaningful" names when they have kids. Learning some name origins would really cut down on the legwork, I think. That's something that has bothered me for a while. Just buy a book of names, Nick.
I think this scenario is similar to the situation in zombie movies, where no one has ever heard of zombies. With that in mind, Grimm takes place in an alternate universe, where there was never a cartoon called Garfield and Friends that involved a pig named Orson.
I liked this episode. I enjoyed getting a glimpse of Monroe's past, but I was sad to see Hap killed off. I liked him and his interactions with Monroe.
Again, I really liked this and all the early stories because of their close relationship with the Grimm Fairy Tales. In this one, at first I thought it was like the opposite of the story - with the big bad pig killing all the wolves. But by the end I felt it was more like the original story but the last pig, gets retribution for his brother's death by attacking Angelina's brothers. So not opposite - just different.

I totally did't get the Orson reference. Thought maybe it might be pig in some other language.

But I did think that Lt Orson in pig form looked somewhat like the Capt in "Pigs From Space".

Hap's Dome house, could it be reminiscent to the straw house that one of the little pigs lived in.
Thank Grimm it's tuesday...Big Grin
As usual I'm a bit late, just finished my rewatch of "the three bad wolves", I really enjoyed it and I was looking forward to it. It's one of my favourites (can't wait till it's time for "leave it to the beavers"... OK, not today)

I like Monroe's part, he's still attracted to Angelina and (though he wouldn't admit) her way of living. In the later episodes, I miss it. He's more and more on the good-guy-side, no more struggling.

I like Hap. He's so cute. Naive, fat, happy, not really sensitive but you just have to love him. It's a shame we'll never see him again.

I like Orson standing up from his bathtub sniffling with his snout covered with mud, it gives me a laugh. Btw, I never heared the name Orson for a pig before, but I googled it, OK, Orson's got his own comic strip, so it's not really visionary to use this name.

(06-17-2013, 12:42 PM)Lou Wrote: [ -> ]Again, I really liked this and all the early stories because of their close relationship with the Grimm Fairy Tales.
The story is really close to the fairy tale with the three pigs, but it's not a Grimm fairy tale. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Little_Pigs

Now my unavoidable German column (please forgive me Blush)
Bauerschwein. Translated into english you get farmer pig. You perhaps would prefer farmer's pig, than you'd have BauerNschwein, but I don't get the n, you won't get the s. Don't complain Tongue.
(06-18-2013, 01:59 PM)Gretel Hanselsister Wrote: [ -> ]I like Monroe's part, he's still attracted to Angelina and (though he wouldn't admit) her way of living. In the later episodes, I miss it. He's more and more on the good-guy-side, no more struggling.
I agree with the above sentiment, and that was one thing I was fairly disappointed about in regard to season 2. Before I go on a tangent, I would like to quote Faulkner.

“The problems of the human heart in conflict with itself which alone can make good writing because only that is worth writing about, worth the agony and the sweat”
Faulkner

We see a lot of this in season 1. Nick's struggle to tell Juliette the truth. Juliette wanting to marry Nick, but knowing he's holding/lying about something. Renard trying to win Nick to his side, but having to deal with requirements of being Royalty (i.e. handling the Lowen games as well delaying his family's attempt at getting Aunt Marie's key). Monroe is also a good example of this internal conflict where he has a regular struggle between being a blutbad and being a friend with a grimm.

Come season 2, most of these internal conflicts have vanished. Juliette has learned the truth, and the earth didn't open up and swallow her. (well, it tried, but failed). Nick knows the truth about Renard, and they even go on missions together. Monroe is happy being with Rosalee, and the same is true in Rosalee's case. The only person that had any real internal conflict this season was Nick, and that was being in the dog house. Big deal.

The entire cast of grimm has grown really boring thanks in a big part to the amount of screentime given to Monroe and Rosalee's relationship. Because of this, I will be the first grimm fan that will be very happy if Rosalee leaves the show. Maybe then, the writers can return to having an angsty cast.

/maximum trolling
(06-18-2013, 04:52 PM)HellJacket Wrote: [ -> ]The entire cast of grimm has grown really boring thanks in a big part to the amount of screentime given to Monroe and Rosalee's relationship. Because of this, I will be the first grimm fan that will be very happy if Rosalee leaves the show. Maybe then, the writers can return to having an angsty cast.

/maximum trolling

Could always be worse. They could add a baby to the cast. Then wacky highjinks will ensue when Nick, Hank, and Monroe are having a "guy's night in" watching the little Wesen tyke. *Cue laugh track*

Serious mode: I think that angst and similar story lines are much easier to write well. Happy stories are very difficult to pull off (an entirely happy story is probably like an entirely happy Utopia -- it's impossible and ain't gonna happen. Ever.) I also get the feeling that I'm being set up to watch someone in these various relationships die. Too many shows do that, ha ha. Be different Grimm. Keep the relationship but make it interesting (am I asking too much?) A little realism in the characters, like putting mundane issues against the supernatural backdrop, could help flesh characters out a lot. There's plenty of drama to mine in the Monroe/Rosalee relationship.

I haven't read the comics yet, but since I don't mind spoilers, I went looking for a synopsis. And boy, is there something interesting to be found about Wesen society in one of those issues (in spoiler tags because it is a Spoiler!):

Spoiler :
There is a group that supports "purity" amongst Wesen. You can find more spoilers at this link -- http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Volume_1_Number_0

If the stuff in that comic is introduced into the show, there's definitely going to be some strange things happening for Monroe and Rosalee. I'd like to see that as part of the show next year.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5