Grimm Forum

Full Version: Rewatch: 1x06 - The Three Bad Wolves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
I've got to agree with brandon on this episode. It really ticked me off that Angelina got away. The wench was a stone cold killer and tried to seduce Monroe back into the old ways.

She was one wesen that deserved having her head loped off by Nick! Confused
* Hap is -originally- saved by his lifestyle, following that barbell outside. And yet he also seems to be killed by it (because he’s still eating pork.) Isn’t that a nice parallel to what we get in A dish best served cold?
*Can we get back to where Hap’s a Xena fan? With a sister like Angelina?!
* You know, I’d kinda be with Angelina on wanting vengeance after looking at that scene if it wasn’t for her starting this whole thing and then screwing up protecting Hap.
*Hap really is so terrible when it comes to business ideas! XD
* Nick’s look when Hap asks Monroe if he got arrested for some of the stuff he used to do is priceless.
*So 6:30 is in the middle of Pilates. (Bears will be Bears) And 7:15 is time to have a shower after Pilates. And breakfast should be finished by 8:30.
* Also. Monroe’s grad school was Brown and he’s got a shirt to go with that.
*And Hap *really* wanted to eat pork of all meats. That’s a bad meat choice there, buddy. Sad
* And we get our first “Grimm - Wesen - no, no, we’re all friends!” confrontation.
* “He’s killed more of our ancestors than I can count...” (Say what, Angelina? Nick’s not killed any Blutbaden by this point. And he’s not killed many Wesen yet either, actually.)
* “He’s a cop and a Grimm? Is that legal?”
* Why doesn’t anyone just throw Angelina out for a while so they can talk to Nick?!
* Can someone explain to me why the book on Bauerschwein has plenty more pages than the one on Blutbaden?
* Yeah sure you are there to protect your brother, Angelina. And such a good job you’re doing at it. It’s really a PERFECT job. That man would’ve been so much safer without you.
* Why is it that people on this show close their mouths all way round the bottleneck?
* Hap really didn’t deserve what was happening. Great job there, Angelina. You and Lt. Orson really are a dream team.
* You’re an idiot in this one, Monroe. Angelina doesn’t seem to grasp the concept of responsibility. But you do.
*So uh. Am I to assume that that whole thing didn’t go very far between him and Angelina? Or are you telling me that Angelina would bother to carefully put her clothes back on?
* Must’ve been a fun way to wake up, Monroe. Good thing you mostly learned your lesson after this one. If something had happened while you were supposed to protect Rosalee I’d never have forgiven you.
* So much for the Brown shirt. Poor Hap. Sad
*Stop whining Angelina. You’re the one who lured Monroe away from protecting Hap. So don’t complain about it now.
* Yes it is your fault, Monroe. Yes it is. But it’s Angelina’s, too. You wouldn’t have left that house if it wasn’t for her. And obviously Orson’s. Plenty of blame to go around.
* Can we just consider for a moment that Monroe and Angelina wear less clothes leaving the police station than they do after whatever they did that night?
* “I’m glad I have a doctor in the house.” - Nick, she’s a vet.
* How did Angelina who left without a shirt on have a shirt on when she comes back home?
* Why does Monroe have to clean up that blood? Isn’t that usually done by professionals?
* Monroe smashing one of his clocks in frustration is an interesting scene, if we consider that it seems to be Blutbad tradition to smash a watch when you’re burying a Blutbad. It’s also interesting in comparison to him earlier telling Hap that he’s not supposed to touch his clocks. (And we know that Alice tells off Bart when he wants to set one.)
* “Our families have never been enemies.” (And yet Grimms seem to have more on Bauerschwein than they do on Blutbaden?)

[Image: tumblr_p7yu1uBYXU1xryu9qo1_1280.jpg]
I liked hap in this epsiode he was a bit of a moron but a lovable moron, i actully found his death pretty sad the poor man appeared harmless and kindhearted he didn't desevre the death he got at the hands of the Bauerschwein. It was all Angelina's fault after all she is the one that killed the Bauerschwiens brothers, though i gotta say Angelina was pretty hot, i dont blame Monroe for wanting to spend the nigth in the woods with her. This is also another episode the points towards Monroes more jaded and dangerous past hunting with Angelina.
(04-29-2018, 03:00 PM)Henry of green Wrote: [ -> ]I liked hap in this epsiode he was a bit of a moron but a lovable moron, i actully found his death pretty sad the poor man appeared harmless and kindhearted he didnt desevre the death he got at the hands of the Bauerschwein. It was all Angelina's fault after all she is the one that killed the Bauerschwiens brothers , thougth i gotta say angelina was pretty hot i dont blame Monroe for wanting to spend the nigth in the woods with her. This is also another episode the pionts towards Monroes more jaded and dangerous past hunting with Angelina.

I liked Hap too, and aside from eating pork (!) he really didn't do anything to upset a Bauerschwein, other than being Angelina's brother. It was mostly Angelina's fault. But Monroe *didn't* have to follow her. He'd promised Nick to guard Hap and he owed it to Hap, too. I get that he was lonely (we get a major hint at that in Lonely Hearts when he randomly tries to chat up that woman) and that Angelina's attractive. But he's also got a brain and a will of his own.

As we get in the Wu & Hank exchange: "You gotta learn to say no to temptation." (Danse Macabre)
In this episode, I would have loved a Nicalina ship. At this point of the show, Juliette was unimpressive and starting to annoy me. Maybe not as much yet, but looking back, it is hard to determine when it gets really annoying, definitely past half of the season.
(04-29-2018, 06:58 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]In this episode, I would have loved a Nicalina ship. At this point of the show, Juliette was unimpressive and starting to annoy me. Maybe not as much yet, but looking back, it is hard to determine when it gets really annoying, definitely past half of the season.

I honestly don't get the appeal of Angelina beyond "she's an attractive woman". She's irresponsible and gets her brother killed with her behavior. But different strokes, I guess.
Sorry to hear you're already finding Juliette annoying this early on. The only thing that bugged me about her a little by this point was when she was watching Bud try to repair the fridge. Other than that? I think her behavior is completely normal. Yes she can only stitch up the occasional wound or make the odd comment. But she's a Kehrseite vet. She's not a cop. Or a Wesen. And it isn't her fault that she's not yet KSK. I get that Nick doesn't know how to tell her, but that's not on her.
(04-30-2018, 10:56 AM)Zansy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-29-2018, 06:58 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]In this episode, I would have loved a Nicalina ship. At this point of the show, Juliette was unimpressive and starting to annoy me. Maybe not as much yet, but looking back, it is hard to determine when it gets really annoying, definitely past half of the season.

I honestly don't get the appeal of Angelina beyond "she's an attractive woman". She's irresponsible and gets her brother killed with her behavior. But different strokes, I guess.
Sorry to hear you're already finding Juliette annoying this early on. The only thing that bugged me about her a little by this point was when she was watching Bud try to repair the fridge. Other than that? I think her behavior is completely normal. Yes she can only stitch up the occasional wound or make the odd comment. But she's a Kehrseite vet. She's not a cop. Or a Wesen. And it isn't her fault that she's not yet KSK. I get that Nick doesn't know how to tell her, but that's not on her.

The annoying part is her acceptance of his working hours. He is a murder detective. Murders aren't committed between 9 and 5, including Portland. Even if they are, investigations and stake-outs can run way past 9 to 5. If someone is going to shack up with a murder detective, they should accept the consequences of the 'on-the-job" working hours.

We are introduced to this couple at their 3 year mark of living together. By this time, she should either accept his job or move on. Unfortunately, this is why many LE workers don't have lasting relationships. This is another reasons their eventual break up had more to do with her becoming a Hex or keeping secrets and more to do with her getting fed-up with his demanding job even after she was introduced to the Wesen world. IMO, the Hex thing was the catalyst or the straw that broke the camel's back.
(04-30-2018, 04:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]The annoying part is her acceptance of his working hours. He is a murder detective. Murders aren't committed between 9 and 5, including Portland. Even if they are, investigations and stake-outs can run way past 9 to 5. If someone is going to shack up with a murder detective, they should accept the consequences of the 'on-the-job" working hours.

We are introduced to this couple at their 3 year mark of living together. By this time, she should either accept his job or move on. Unfortunately, this is why many LE workers don't have lasting relationships. This is another reasons their eventual break up had more to do with her becoming a Hex or keeping secrets and more to do with her getting fed-up with his demanding job even after she was introduced to the Wesen world. IMO, the Hex thing was the catalyst or the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm well aware of this situation in real life. And if you expect someone to put up with working hours like that 24/7 without the occasional moment of being upset about this, you're expecting them to be a saint. And trust me, you can have lasting relationships with people who work crazy hours. I know several couples in real life that make it work despite working hours like that (and we're talking a decade and more). And yes that gets tough sometimes. But no relationship is always fair and perfect without the occasional moment where one person reacts like say... a human being.

That "people can't have a lasting relationship with someone in LE (or any other crazy work hours job)" idea is a myth. It's a matter of "do both sides want it enough to put up with the realistic day-to-day of the situation?". Just like it is in every other relationship that's not always sunshine and butterflies. Writers just seem to get complete kicks out of saying "everyone working those hours is lonely". Sure some of them are. And/or they don't commit. That's true for people working 9-5 jobs, too. And none of what Juliette is doing by this point is anywhere near "I'm at the breaking point". Perhaps do rewatch the show and make a collection of moments where you find Juliette's behavior too demanding. And we can talk through each of them in detail. Because so far I haven't seen any.
(04-30-2018, 07:42 PM)Zansy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2018, 04:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]The annoying part is her acceptance of his working hours. He is a murder detective. Murders aren't committed between 9 and 5, including Portland. Even if they are, investigations and stake-outs can run way past 9 to 5. If someone is going to shack up with a murder detective, they should accept the consequences of the 'on-the-job" working hours.

I'm well aware of this situation in real life. And if you expect someone to put up with working hours like that 24/7 without the occasional moment of being upset about this, you're expecting them to be a saint. And trust me, you can have lasting relationships with people who work crazy hours. I know several couples in real life that make it work despite working hours like that (and we're talking a decade and more). And yes that gets tough sometimes. But no relationship is always fair and perfect without the occasional moment where one person reacts like say... a human being.

That "people can't have a lasting relationship with someone in LE (or any other crazy work hours job)" idea is a myth. It's a matter of "do both sides want it enough to put up with the realistic day-to-day of the situation?". Just like it is in every other relationship that's not always sunshine and butterflies. Writers just seem to get complete kicks out of saying "everyone working those hours is lonely". Sure some of them are. And/or they don't commit. That's true for people working 9-5 jobs, too. And none of what Juliette is doing by this point is anywhere near "I'm at the breaking point". Perhaps do rewatch the show and make a collection of moments where you find Juliette's behavior too demanding. And we can talk through each of them in detail. Because so far I haven't seen any.

I have several relatives that have survived in relationships with LE partners and some that did not. The same principal applies to other professions too, not just LE. Nurses come to mind. They are also faced to working rotating shifts & long hours.

Back to Juliette.
E1, His aunt comes for a surprise visit and she doesn’t bother to drop a dime to give him a heads-up? She was only the aunt that was a mother to him during his childhood. Kind of an inconsiderate life partner for my taste I would have expected a phone call.

E3, starts to complain about working after hours when Hank has to rest because of bee stings

E4, Supermarket scene, paints a past of a floosy.

Now some will say that the writers messed up the way the character was written and they made mistakes. I don’t disagree with that. I digest and judge the character what I saw on the screen and the characters dialogue, action, reactions, etc.

Like I said, maybe after watching all the seasons, my bias now seems to have taken hold sooner than when I saw the show to this episode 6. My 1st season wasn’t watched in sequence or complete on broadcast TV. I saw one or two more episodes from S2, maybe even S3, before I got to watch seasons 1, 2 & 3, in sequence on Amazon.

Memorable line from E6, quote:
Angelina; This is insane. Three Blutbaden in a room with one Grimm. And we're all having a little chat. We should be having dinner.
(04-30-2018, 11:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]I have several relatives that have survived in relationships with LE partners and some that did not. The same principal applies to other professions too, not just LE. Nurses come to mind. They are also faced to working rotating shifts & long hours.
Nurses, and hospital staff in general, alongside firefighters are the examples I was thinking of when I said “(or any other crazy work hours job)”. Smile But do you seriously expect your relatives who’re in those relationships to always just quietly support those hours without ever speaking up about them? I’ve heard complaints both from the partners. And from the people working those hours. And I thought both valid.
Juliette isn’t yelling at Nick over this. She’s just saying that she’d rather have him at home and that he should sleep more. Which I’d say is a good sign in a relationship. If she was going “oh thank God you’re finally leaving!” I’d be a lot more concerned.

(04-30-2018, 11:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Back to Juliette.
E1, His aunt comes for a surprise visit and she doesn’t bother to drop a dime to give him a heads-up? She was only the aunt that was a mother to him during his childhood. Kind of an inconsiderate life partner for my taste I would have expected a phone call.
Aunt Marie: Sorry for the short notice.
Juliette: What, you didn’t know that she was coming?

So no, Juliette didn’t bother to call. Because she assumed that Nick knew that Aunt Marie was coming, since normally you do call the people you’re going to visit ahead of time. More amazingly, she quietly accepted coming home to meeting his aunt who she didn’t see in two years without any heads up.

(04-30-2018, 11:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]E3, starts to complain about working after hours when Hank has to rest because of bee stings
Juliette is the one who *told* Hank that he needs to rest for eight hours. No, she’s not happy that Nick needs to go. But look a little closer at what she’s saying:
“You’ve been turning this no sleep thing into an art form lately.” So we’re not talking usual cop hours. We’re talking Grimm hours. - And Juliette doesn’t know that. She just sees him bury himself into work even more than usually after his aunt just passed away.

(04-30-2018, 11:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]E4, Supermarket scene, paints a past of a floosy.
In the supermarket scene both Juliette and Nick mention that they made bad partner choices in the past. That happens. “You’re one to talk. I met your first girlfriend.” - “Okay, that was not chemistry. That was stupidity.” - Having two relationships before you settle down doesn’t make you a floozy. But I generally don’t like the term. Why would women have to live up to standards society doesn’t expect of men? And no, historically a man would be considered vigorous for sleeping around. While a woman would be called a loose. If she's lucky. That does need to change. And you don't seem to mind if other women are free with there sexual morals.
As you do seem to like Angelina. And that woman is in a relationship *while* she’s going on that hunt with Monroe. And Monroe is aware of this. Shouldn’t that bother you more if you’re concerned about morality? I mean, more than whether or not Juliette loved everyone she was with before she met Nick?

(04-30-2018, 11:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Now some will say that the writers messed up the way the character was written and they made mistakes. I don’t disagree with that. I digest and judge the character what I saw on the screen and the characters dialogue, action, reactions, etc.

Ah I wouldn't agree that they messed up her character this early though. I think they messed her up around the time we were discussing in the headache inducing thread. A little before that. (I get really angry by the point she smashes Rosalee into the shelves.)

(04-30-2018, 11:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said, maybe after watching all the seasons, my bias now seems to have taken hold sooner than when I saw the show to this episode 6. My 1st season wasn’t watched in sequence or complete on broadcast TV. I saw one or two more episodes from S2, maybe even S3, before I got to watch seasons 1, 2 & 3, in sequence on Amazon.
Ah I can see how that'd be difficult. I got to watch the first three seasons in order and then had to wait till I could get my hands on the next one after that. But generally speaking I watched chronologically. Just with some time apart with the later seasons.

(04-30-2018, 11:26 PM)dicappatore Wrote: [ -> ]Memorable line from E6, quote:
Angelina; This is insane. Three Blutbaden in a room with one Grimm. And we're all having a little chat. We should be having dinner.
Memorable for exactly why Hap is dead, yes. Because Angelina is so keen on going old school that she’s killed Orson’s brothers for sport. And she’d want to kill a Grimm who is trying to protect her brother. Before she goes and lures Monroe out on a hunt to celebrate their freedom from society’s rules, leaving her own brother unprotected after she claims she came there to do just that.
(Sorry. Angelina is rude to Rosalee when the two meet. So don't expect me to like anything about her. Big Grin And it's so easy to point to her flaws, really. And in case you were wondering, people attacking Rosalee verbally or physically make it to the doghouse really, really quickly with me.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5