Grimm Forum

Full Version: S3E13 - Revelation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Season 3 Episode 13

Revelation

[Image: 29f2tzs.jpg]

Air Date: February 28 2014

Synopsis: Monroe (Silas Weir Mitchell) fights an impossible battle to convince his parents (guest stars Dee Wallace and Chris Mulkey) to embrace the life choices he’s made. Meanwhile, Nick (David Giuntoli) turns to Juliette (Bitsie Tulloch) to help him figure out the Wesen aspect of his cop-killing scalper investigation. On the Royal Baby front, Captain Renard (Sasha Roiz) learns new information that forces him to contact Adalind (Claire Coffee) in the interest of keeping her and the baby safe from Viktor (guest star Alexis Denisof).

What did you think of this, everyone?
maybe it was the long break, or the cliffhanger, or the double episode story line, they built up my expectations too high. i was essentially disappointed.

The parent stuff was predictable and cliched. What was this, " Look who's coming to dinner"?

The wesson of the week was on the screen for maybe 5 minutes.

Renard rescuing Adalind because he thinks she is carrying his kid? Losing Adalind is a bad thing?

Now it looks like he is going to lose his "inside man".

The writers really needed to come up with a better ending. The family around the dinner table totally didn't work.
I have to say that while I marked loved it, it was more of a liked it for me... I thought the story with the parents was somewhat cliche but I still thought it was needed (sometimes cliche is hard to avoid, especially when you're telling a story like this one... One that has been told so many times, in so many ways)... As far as the story with Adalind, I'm not sure Renard is focused as much on helping Adalind as much as he is on keeping the baby out of Victor's hands, which even if it isn't his, might be a good idea. I am worried that Sebastian may be doomed, I like him. I also like Meisner and it looks like his role is going to be increasing at least in the short term. My hopes are up that this will be setting up some really interesting future plots and that made some of the problems in the ep more bearable... Where I agree with Lou is on the ending not working also the fight scene was predictable, those were the two big negatives for me.
Overall I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
I think that this was a great episode guys.Heart
Well, OK the family story was a cliche, but I'm guessing the writers are trying to show how wesen familys aren't really any different than human familys-they may have their disagreements, but when they love each other, they stay together-.
I agree with you grimmfreak about Renard's intentions for Adalind and the baby and I think we have a good story there for future episodes. I am also worried about Sebastian.
It seems to me that on the next episodes, we are going to see and learn more about the royal/wesen/grimm world and less police work stuff.
And I disagree with both Lou and grimmfreak about the ending. I thought that the family dinner was really very funny!!Tongue When Juliet asked about the wedding and Monroe's father woged and then everybody else woged too, one after the other and Nick jumped out of his chair and Juliet, who couldn't see them, was like "what"?Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
I really enjoyed the Royal/Adalind storyline here. Finally getting some movement on that, not to mention setting up Viktor as more of a villain. Maybe we'll have a major "Big Bad" around this season. It feels like some huge stuff is a-brewing and I'm glad to see it happening.

Kept getting the giggles during the Monroe family story, though. The way they talked about Nick and Monroe's friendship and what they "do together" really had shades of a coming out story -- similar to the big dinner Nick had when first introducing Juliette to Monroe -- whilst Rosalee and Monroe's relationship really did have that Guess Who's Coming to Dinner vibe just as Lou mentioned. Considering that all the characters involved are straight and white (or pass as such) it was ... odd to see gay and racial metaphors employed for monsters. But like grimmfreak said, it's hard to avoid these stories or comparisons. (Just look at X-Men. Or Buffy. "Have you tried not being the Slayer?" Granted, the latter was more of a parody of those lines ...)

The fight at the end was surprisingly short, but it did introduce the real dangerous plot element of the episode. Not the Wild Hunt Wesen, but (presumably) Adalind's baby. Here's hoping it's a boy and the happy mother names him Damien.

Also: most awkward dinner ever.
I enjoyed this episode a lot. Although some of this episode was very predictable it worked out well. Renard has his reasons for keeping Adalind alive and safe. I'm hoping Sybastian lives as well, but things are getting riskier now.

i think Monroe's parents should stick around for a few more episodes. They change things up and bring us more information on Monroes origin. Lets hope Nicks mother doesn't think about making a visit soon though.
Ehh seems like the writers had the "idea" of a storyline for this two-parter more than an actual story. It kinda felt more like a "recap" than an actual story - the action was so staccato, it was like the writers were telling us "ok and then this happened" rather than actually showing us what happens and building drama/suspense.

-Monroe: hope he doesn't actually resent helping Nick. It doesn't make sense, since *every time* we've seen him help Nick, someone's lives are saved or bad Wesen are otherwise stopped. I don't see how he can not consider that "worth it" every time.

-Monroe's dad: Wish they'd have taken the time to give his character some more dimension than just, essentially, "Sean Hayes' Dad in 1988". Give him an interesting backstory, there was *plenty* of chance when Monroe and Rosalie were talking about his parents.

-Rosalie: Often the only character who maintains a sense of reason when stuff gets weird. She left when it was appropriate, but I'm glad she's not drawing a "line in the sand" for Monroe, the way I kinda feel Juliette would...

-Juliette: "Look at me being not-worthless!" If all they have for her is sharing the plot-expo "Trailer Librarian" role with Monroe and Hank, its a disappointment. Oh, and she can trace IPs. Seems like they're extremely underutilizing the potential of her being A VET!

-WotW: eh... Another iteration in "Grimm Hunter DBZ Power Level 9000!!!". Started with Reapers, ooh scary, until they're not. Then Mauvais Dentes, ooh scary, until Nick's mom takes one out. Nucklelavee, ooh scary, oh he's dead. Zombie man, ooh scary, oh wait no he just gave Nick superpowers. Whatever-these-were...sooo scary, they're in the Wesen children's books, they're invincible and unstoppable. 2 minutes of fighting, snip snip snip, all dead and only a few scrapes and bruises the worse for it - I was more intimidated by the alligator guys, honestly, when they pulled the "There's THREE of them!" trick first. And how, exactly, do scalps make you immune to an elephant gun? Why are they heralded by storms? That was pure straight magic, which the show has largely avoided (barring, perhaps, Hexenbiesten) up to this point.

Royal stuff - still haven't made me care yet. Adalind's having Sean's baby. Its important. If Victor got it, it would somehow be a Very Bad Thing. ESTABLISH WHY!!! You cant create drama and suspense just by saying "FEEL DRAMA AND SUSPENSE NOW!". Unless I know the ramifications of the baby falling into Victor's hands or staying with Sean, I don't really care about the outcome. Oh well, at least I can follow who everyone actually is in the European Theater now. Sean, Adalind, Sea-bass and Meisner vs. Victor, Stefania, and the Verrat. Keep it simple like that and there's potential to actually build a storyline there.

Adalind's baby: OK, so apparently the baby racked up a kill before it was even born Smile Really hoping its born self-aware because of all the stuff Adalind did, reading people's minds from in utero and learning, or something totally creepy like that...have a CGI 3/4 hexenbiest baby that talks in full, grammatical sentences but still sounds like a baby Smile
Wow! This episode was wonderful. Monroe did the best he could to convince his parents and it didn't work. I haven't seen that type emotional drama in this series yet. About Nick using Monroe for cases, I think that Nick does sometimes use Monroe too much in that aspect, but did they brush it off that quickly? I thought it was going to last longer, but, glad it was shown.
Now on the Royal baby thing. Unlike everyone else (call me insane) I actually wasn't that annoyed by Juliette's memory loss, though it did drag things down. The same is with the baby. But it looks like next week the baby is finally being born, and oh boy Adalind, looks like your Hexenbiest again.

But lets talk about the Wildesheer. This show tries not to make everything magic, but this time the scalp coat actually makes them invincible. I found it incredibly creepy with the thunder and blowing wind to signal their arrival, and the invincible scalp coat was creepy, but not to sure if I totally like that. But the best part of the episode was the fight scene. Pale Boy said it was short, but it went on forever!
The scariest part about it though was that Nick has extra Grimm strength from being zombified, and yet, the Wildesheer still beat the crap out of him. Imagine if Nick wasn't zomibified. I'd doubt he would survive that fight.

And I have one more thing. Was was that thing that Alice and Rosalee did? Alice said something that I assume was German, but I really didn't understand it? Was it to get close to a different Wesen? I may have missed something, but that part confused me.
I liked this episode, it was fun!

Did you see that film scene where they found the first visual of the Wildesheer? Such a cute idea, there was a green Wesen/Alien in that movie, it looked to me like a good piece of self-irony, just great!

Monroe is angry at Nick for some time because he only calls when he needs his help… he’s absolutely right! This friendship is and always was one-sided most of the time. I always thought Monroe is OK with that, as Blutbad his character is wolf-like for sure and so not too far from a dog’s character, accepting a demanding, superior friend and remaining true to him.

I liked the parents-story too. Perhaps cliché, yes, but it could have been worse. They are no big, happy family yet, there is much work left to do. And I’m looking forward to it. And there seems to be no family name, did you notice? They are Alice, Bart and Monroe, that’s all.

Adalind’s baby is not only of high value at the black market, not only able to protect itself with pens and it aims pretty good (yuckConfused) but also the bigger problem signalized by the Wildesheer. Really bad, it will change the world. Let’s see.

I’m really worried for Sebastien. Sean sacrifices a valuable informant, perhaps his best one, for treacherous Adalind. I don’t want to see Sebastien being tortured.

(03-01-2014, 12:47 PM)Fuchsbauer Wrote: [ -> ]And I have one more thing. Was was that thing that Alice and Rosalee did? Alice said something that I assume was German, but I really didn't understand it? Was it to get close to a different Wesen? I may have missed something, but that part confused me.
This was a little strange, the word was "Vertrautheit" what means familiarity. It looked to me like they were sniffing at each other, like dogs do to get to know each other. I guess it meant something like that.

Monroe and Nick in the middle of the fight under that car. "What do we do now?" "Get to their hair!" Hilarious Big Grin "I take the left one, you take the right one, what about the big one in the middle?" Really, I had fun.

Wildesheer are magic, absolutely. That’s pretty new for "Grimm" but I’ve got no problem with that. Something about the mythological background they borrowed from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt
Perhaps interesting: the "Wildesheer" appears in the opera "Der Freischütz", Carl Maria von Weber, watch 6:47min – 7:30min in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LKRm2wWBwE

And I giggled for some time after I saw the next week’s spoiler right at the end of the episoide
Spoiler :
"Motherhood always brings out the beast in you!" There is some truth in it Rolleyes.
I think this was not the best episode of Grimm but it was ok for me. The Wesen( I forget his name) has a too short part and I agree, Monroes parents where so much cliche like. On the other hand I had to smilie while watching the dinner scene.
Renard really it's his baby? I don't think so. If he had Adalind&her baby on his side, it will be a great behalf.We know a royal baby is very precious. And a royal baby has apparently->Adalinds baby bumb get really big in a few episodes(last episode it was spring) Big Grin
The most interesting on Revelation was the fighting scene at the end, as Monroes father said something about, if these Wesen come it means nothing good(if you trust in old legends). It sounds like back-to-mysterythings-stuff, and that's wonderful for me!
Pages: 1 2 3 4