Grimm Forum

Full Version: S5E16 - The Believer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Personally, I thought this was some of the most bigoted anti-Christian garbage I've seen on TV in a while. The writer's would never have dared lie about and scorn any other religion in the way they did last night. The whole damned cast and crew are nothing but a bunch of bigots, liars, hypocrites and cowards.

That's not to mention that the entire episode was one of the, IF NOT THE, worst episode of the entire series.

I've tweeted my opinion to the Grimm Writers and all the cast. Unlike them I'm not a coward who would hide behind "artistic license" or other excuses! Angry

(For the sake of full disclosure, I AM NOT a born again Christian. I barely make it to church for Christmas and Easter. But neither am I a bigot. And I find the kind of mealy mouthed hypocrisy and bigotry that comes out of Hollywood so often to be vile.)
I liked this episode. It takes us back to the early days of Grimm
with a crime to solve plus advancing the scoobies storyline. The bedroom scene between Eve/Renard and Rachel was hilarious.
Hope Eve gets all the info she needs soon. It's too dangerous for the
real Renard. Wu is having some weird werewolf symptoms. A little
more info on the cloth artifact. Now that Sean is actually debating
his opponent, which way will he go? I don't trust him. All in all,
this was a good episode. Big Grin
this was like those spectacles that give certain churches tv-
Sean can get into trouble because of Eve-
because he also has some blood "GRIMM" by the previous spell, could influence anything?
well ... I'm a Christian and I didn't find the episode offensive so much, that's just me though. I can see how some would find it to be stereotypical or whatever but the sad fact is that there are some nutters out there that claim the Christian faith. I think it was more of a plot device, we see wesen in all types of settings, it shows they're a part of all walks of society, why not in a church? I am remembering the episode where the priest tried to exorcise that little boy... maybe they do portray Christians as overzealous idk but it's not a total fabrication of the truth, these things do happen. It would be interesting to see if this stick has any religious affiliation though. It seems like the writers have tried to steer clear of playing into any definitive religious themes.
(04-09-2016, 10:02 AM)DieKleineSchwester Wrote: [ -> ]well ... I'm a Christian and I didn't find the episode offensive so much, that's just me though. I can see how some would find it to be stereotypical or whatever but the sad fact is that there are some nutters out there that claim the Christian faith. I think it was more of a plot device, we see wesen in all types of settings, it shows they're a part of all walks of society, why not in a church? I am remembering the episode where the priest tried to exorcise that little boy... maybe they do portray Christians as overzealous idk but it's not a total fabrication of the truth, these things do happen. It would be interesting to see if this stick has any religious affiliation though. It seems like the writers have tried to steer clear of playing into any definitive religious themes.

To be fair, there are "nutters" in every religion, but like you, I didn't really find this to be particularly anti-Christian. At the same time, I can see why Christians would, and maybe even should, be upset by the way their religion is portrayed these days.

In "The Believer" they touched on the fact that some people do use religion to take advantage of the faithful. In this case, however, those who fell prey to the false prophet had an above average reason to buy into what he was selling.
If I saw someone transform into a red horny lizardy creature right before my eyes, I'd probably be reconsidering all sorts of things. Consequently, I definitely didn't consider those who came to the revivals to be naive or unintelligent.
The only part of the story I actually had a problem with was charging the wife and her followers with murder. Yes, what they did was wrong from a legal standpoint; nevertheless, they had experienced things that would have led them to believe what they were doing was actually very right. For me at least, punishing them raises some very tricky moral questions.

Not to get too political, but I empathize with why Christians feel persecuted these days. The media obviously has zero reservations about taking aim at Christianity, yet when it comes to Islam, it seems more and more that free speech is being restricted. Personally, I'm not a fan of organized religion in general, but even I can't help noticing that we are having respect for virtually every world religion crammed down our throats with the exception of Christianity. That not only strikes me as supremely unfair; it also has a conspiratorial air about it.

Anyway, with all that going on I imagine Christians are tired of being used as the go to punching bag/punchline in TV shows and movies. I mean, does anyone honestly believe Grimm (or any other mainstream show) would allow an episode to be produced that portrayed Muslims in the same way they portrayed Christians in this episode?
Hi Forum,
For me the WOW in 5.16 was OK, but did not rise to the entertainment quality of those in season 1.
There is a lot of discussion about the FrankenEve transformation to Renard.
My wife thought it was hilarious. I thought it was funny to watch Sasha Roiz taking on FrankenEve's robot movement and speech patterns. He did a great job of showing how phony the fake Renard came across. It seemed odd that Rachel didn't confront "him" about what was wrong. The shot of them sitting up in bed together was funny. If Grimm was a comedy then it would have been a success. As an American police procedural fantasy the scene was a flop.
As Belle commented:
Quote:Unfortunately that scene with Rosalee declaring Juliette was no longer in Eve was painfully bad. Their desperation to convince viewers Julieve is someone new is showing. I sincerely hopemthey get rid of her before next season.
Amen,
New Guy
This is something I've always found a little weird about the way Joss Whedon (and other writers who have been inspired by him) builds his universes: The supernatural exists, and yet most of his principal characters tend to be either agnostic or atheist. The few genuinely religious people who appear in his stories tend to be villains of one type or another. I'm not sure if that's hypocritical or not.
(04-09-2016, 12:06 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: [ -> ]This is something I've always found a little weird about the way Joss Whedon (and other writers who have been inspired by him) builds his universes: The supernatural exists, and yet most of his principal characters tend to be either agnostic or atheist. The few genuinely religious people who appear in his stories tend to be villains of one type or another. I'm not sure if that's hypocritical or not.

Not sure that's completely true. I remember the preacher in Firefly being the one character who the good guys always turned to for guidance, particularly in times of trouble.

I always loved how they portrayed religion in Futurama...
Instead of "Is the sky blue?" it was "Is the space pope reptilian?".
(04-09-2016, 12:26 PM)Belle Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure that's completely true. I remember the preacher in Firefly being the one character who the good guys always turned to for guidance, particularly in times of trouble.

I never really liked that guy. ("Book," was it?) He seemed more of a "token religious person" used to appease viewers who thought Joss Whedon was a vitriolic atheist in the vein of Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens. He never came across as a recognizable, sympathetic flesh-and-blood human being...not to me, at any rate.
(04-09-2016, 12:30 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-09-2016, 12:26 PM)Belle Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure that's completely true. I remember the preacher in Firefly being the one character who the good guys always turned to for guidance, particularly in times of trouble.

I never really liked that guy. ("Book," was it?) He seemed more of a "token religious person" used to appease viewers who thought Joss Whedon was a vitriolic atheist in the vein of Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens. He never came across as a recognizable, sympathetic flesh-and-blood human being...not to me, at any rate.

Wow, really?!?
I always liked him. I felt he represented the best of what a preacher is supposed to be: sage, open-minded, forgiving, tolerant, and, above all, kind.
When they killed him off in the movie I cried. Sad
I suppose it's like anything else, different people see, hear, read and feel different things even when they are processing the same picture, song, book, movie, etc...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7