Grimm Forum

Full Version: S5E14 - Lycanthropia
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(03-29-2016, 12:07 PM)Mart Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2016, 06:54 AM)droid327 Wrote: [ -> ]Please don't tell me Wu is "infected". First off, they established that its a genetic disease, specific to Blutbaden. You cant catch a genetic disease, it'd be like saying you can get Downs syndrome from being bitten by someone with it. And even if it was contagious and not hereditary, Wu isn't a Blutbad so he cant carry it anyway.

They've said only Blutbaden can be born with that defect.
There was no word about what a scratch from a Lycanthrope can or can't do to humans.
Of course Wu will not transform into Blutbaden now, but - according to Werewolf mythology - he can of course become a Werewolf by full moon.
That's neither contradictory nor a plot hole imo.

Of course that's what they're going to do with it. I'm just saying its a suspension-of-disbelief-interrupting oversight to say its a genetic disease then to treat it like a communicable disease. Its contradictory in that regard because it flies in the face of basic medical science. If they had just called it a magic Wesen disease, then we're great. If they had just not said anything at all, then we could assume its just magic, we're usually fine with that on this show. But they deliberately wrapped it in the terminology of medical science, which creates certain expectations among viewers that were not subsequently met.

You cant catch a defect.
(03-29-2016, 05:29 PM)droid327 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2016, 12:07 PM)Mart Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2016, 06:54 AM)droid327 Wrote: [ -> ]Please don't tell me Wu is "infected". First off, they established that its a genetic disease, specific to Blutbaden. You cant catch a genetic disease, it'd be like saying you can get Downs syndrome from being bitten by someone with it. And even if it was contagious and not hereditary, Wu isn't a Blutbad so he cant carry it anyway.

They've said only Blutbaden can be born with that defect.
There was no word about what a scratch from a Lycanthrope can or can't do to humans.
Of course Wu will not transform into Blutbaden now, but - according to Werewolf mythology - he can of course become a Werewolf by full moon.
That's neither contradictory nor a plot hole imo.

Of course that's what they're going to do with it. I'm just saying its a suspension-of-disbelief-interrupting oversight to say its a genetic disease then to treat it like a communicable disease. Its contradictory in that regard because it flies in the face of basic medical science. If they had just called it a magic Wesen disease, then we're great. If they had just not said anything at all, then we could assume its just magic, we're usually fine with that on this show. But they deliberately wrapped it in the terminology of medical science, which creates certain expectations among viewers that were not subsequently met.

You cant catch a defect.

I don't personally feel that way. I mean "hexenbiest" and "zauberbiests" and all the lot of them. The mythology of werewolves is different and has so many different basis and folk stories about it going way back - she was a wolf that was infected with a disease or had a recessive trait that came out (but again, why) that was not hit upon and RoRoe both didn't know a lot about it because all they had ever heard was that the parents killed their offspring if they had it ... so putting it out there as a way for "humans" to turn into werewolves nobody knows - that could be their version of how the "stories" started LOL it's all disbelief and magic and to me, why would anyone (Rosalee) or the others say anything like "oh no, Wu, you've been scratched. They all were running and pumped up on adrenaline - Wu obviously didn't even know until he was undressing and scratched at it a tad kwim. So if he didn't recollect why should the others - it happened so fast and it was like oh man holy cow *pew.pew.pew* HAHA

teasers for Friday:

screenspy - some spoilers for friday
(03-29-2016, 04:36 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2016, 12:07 PM)Mart Wrote: [ -> ]They've said only Blutbaden can be born with that defect.

Then why on earth wouldn't Rosalee mention something about that, especially since SHE WAS THERE when Wu got scratched?

First, she didn't even know Wu was scratched as Wu didn't know or realized it himself at that time being high on adrenaline and all that was going on, so how could she? Is she Jesus? Rolleyes

But even if she saw the scratch - why would she assume something could happen, if there was nothing about that written in the books or in the stories she was told about that defect?

Maybe noone before documented a surviving of a Lycanthropia attack while just being scratched?
I mean, how many similar incidents could there have been before, being there during an attack not only with a Grimm, but a few more people AND wesen involved helping that Grimm by taking a Lycanthropia down after having just scratched and not killed a human? Huh

I'm not a huge fan of the later seasons development either, but this is really making up inconsisties that just aren't there.
I'd really have stopped watching for quite some time, if i was at this point already. Rolleyes

(03-29-2016, 05:29 PM)droid327 Wrote: [ -> ]Its contradictory in that regard because it flies in the face of basic medical science.

As is falling into a coma and losing all memory by the scratch of a cat - or taking the look of another person by inhalating a substance through the cut off top-piece of a witch hat - or surviving deadly bullets with the bite of an imaginary snake, or, or, or ... don't confound "Grimm" with "Science today" Wink
(03-29-2016, 08:35 PM)Mart Wrote: [ -> ]First, she didn't even know Wu was scratched as Wu didn't know or realized it himself at that time being high on adrenaline and all that was going on, so how could she? Is she Jesus? Rolleyes

No, just someone with half a brain.

Quote:But even if she saw the scratch - why would she assume something could happen, if there was nothing about that written in the books or in the stories she was told about that defect?

Then why did she and Monroe already know so much about the defect to start with? The writers simply choose whatever plot development is the most convenient to them, and to hell with consistency or logic.

Quote:I'm not a huge fan of the later seasons development either, but this is really making up inconsisties that just aren't there.

I'm not making up anything, Mart. This is more of a case of you trying to use duct tape to cover said inconsistencies (smooth spelling, by the way) and shutting down anyone who points out the plot holes through your own faulty arguments. I've seen this used on other people in different forums who attempt to constructively criticize a story, and it was just as obnoxious then as it is now.
(03-30-2016, 02:48 AM)Hexenadler Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2016, 08:35 PM)Mart Wrote: [ -> ]First, she didn't even know Wu was scratched as Wu didn't know or realized it himself at that time being high on adrenaline and all that was going on, so how could she? Is she Jesus? Rolleyes

No, just someone with half a brain.

Quote:But even if she saw the scratch - why would she assume something could happen, if there was nothing about that written in the books or in the stories she was told about that defect?

Then why did she and Monroe already know so much about the defect to start with? The writers simply choose whatever plot development is the most convenient to them, and to hell with consistency or logic.

Quote:I'm not a huge fan of the later seasons development either, but this is really making up inconsisties that just aren't there.

I'm not making up anything, Mart. This is more of a case of you trying to use duct tape to cover said inconsistencies (smooth spelling, by the way) and shutting down anyone who points out the plot holes through your own faulty arguments. I've seen this used on other people in different forums who attempt to constructively criticize a story, and it was just as obnoxious then as it is now.
Could I point out that Wu had been attacked before Monroe and Rosalee get to the area so they didn't see the attack only the son trying to stop his mother. Now when Wu show some problem with the scratch they may find something in the books.

They weren't looking of a human scratch treatment. We might ask how long will Wu go before asking for help? I believe like all TV movies past a point there is no turning back so he will wait until it is almost to late will be to late for the potion treatment so we will get another relic cure. The cure will take the werewolf but leave Wu stronger like a Blutbad without the woge. Just my option.
(03-29-2016, 08:35 PM)Mart Wrote: [ -> ]As is falling into a coma and losing all memory by the scratch of a cat - or taking the look of another person by inhalating a substance through the cut off top-piece of a witch hat - or surviving deadly bullets with the bite of an imaginary snake, or, or, or ... don't confound "Grimm" with "Science today" Wink

But the writers explained that all as magic, which makes it ok since magic exists in Grimm. But they deliberately did not call lycanthropia magic. They didn't even simply ignore the specifics of how it works. They could have done either and it wouldn't have affected the story.

But they didn't. They deliberately chose to give it a scientific explanation, and then contradicted that explanation. That was their mistake here.

The problem isn't the fact that it could be magic, because you're right, that would make it no less believable than all the other magic. The problem is they deliberately said it's NOT magic, so they set a totally different set of rules for it, that they subsequently ignored.
(03-30-2016, 09:36 AM)droid327 Wrote: [ -> ]But the writers explained that all as magic, which makes it ok since magic exists in Grimm. But they deliberately did not call lycanthropia magic. They didn't even simply ignore the specifics of how it works. They could have done either and it wouldn't have affected the story.

But they didn't. They deliberately chose to give it a scientific explanation, and then contradicted that explanation. That was their mistake here.

The problem isn't the fact that it could be magic, because you're right, that would make it no less believable than all the other magic. The problem is they deliberately said it's NOT magic, so they set a totally different set of rules for it, that they subsequently ignored.

Bingo. If a writer plays fast-and-loose with his own rules, it creates the storytelling equivalent of a train wreck, where anything can be made up on the fly and nothing sticks. That's not to say magic itself should be used as a means of excusing lazy plots and characters; Joe Quesada's infamous "It's magic, we don't have to explain it" quote is proof enough of that.
(03-29-2016, 06:54 AM)droid327 Wrote: [ -> ]Then why did they shoot the mother? They weren't tranquing her because they didn't want to provoke her...but they'll all just go straight to "shoot her dead"? Makes no sense. A double tap from a crossbow will still probably stop her in her tracks enough for 2 Blutbaden, a Fuchsbau, a Grimm, and two veteran cops to get ahold of her and pistolwhip her into submission until the sedative can take hold.

I wondered why they didn't use the same tranquilizer they used on Juliette. That didn't take five minutes to work.
Quote:But they didn't. They deliberately chose to give it a scientific explanation, and then contradicted that explanation. That was their mistake here.
How do you provide a scientific explanation for something that could not exist. Ever explanation on this show, lacks scientific credibility.

When a character can sprout a tail while wearing pants. By definition the show has no rules.
(03-30-2016, 12:22 PM)syscrash Wrote: [ -> ]How do you provide a scientific explanation for something that could not exist. Ever explanation on this show, lacks scientific credibility.

When a character can sprout a tail while wearing pants. By definition the show has no rules.

To make things even more ridiculous, Rosalee pulled out some volume and thumbed through it. I kept wondering the whole time who wrote this big medical book, and who published it. It appeared to be a scientific book, but how could that be when wesen are completely kept secret from humans?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8