Grimm Forum
Comic,Manga, Anime - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Thread: Comic,Manga, Anime (/Thread-Comic-Manga-Anime)

Pages: 1 2 3

Comic,Manga, Anime - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-17-2013

Hi,

after I was today in my favorite comic book store, I want to ask whether here also comicfans?
And which comics,mangas&animes do you read/watch?

At the moment I discovert Hellblazer & Northlanders for me. I grew up with animes and simply can´t solve it.As a child it was Dragonball&SailorMoon, today it´s Noir&Hellsing.
I don´t know if you know the Asterix&Obelix, but they where truely the heros of my childhood. (the sentence sounds wrong...)
And yes, I´m a comicbook reading&gaming dork! Big Grin

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - bookofknowledge - 04-18-2013

comic book are cool right now im reading marvel zombies
as for watching im watching blue exorcist and DBZ. and soul eater is good

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - the-epic-prince - 04-18-2013

I love comic books! I mainly read either Marvel or DC comics.

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - pale boy - 04-19-2013

I used to read manga occasionally but I haven't stayed current with it. Never big on comics, but I do harbor a special love for Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels.
As far as anime goes, the last one I watched and finished was Mushishi which I thought was just fantastic. Very atmospheric.

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - GrimmForum - 04-19-2013

(04-17-2013, 12:05 PM)FräuleinWunderlich Wrote: Hi,

after I was today in my favorite comic book store, I want to ask whether here also comicfans?
And which comics,mangas&animes do you read/watch?

At the moment I discovert Hellblazer & Northlanders for me. I grew up with animes and simply can´t solve it.As a child it was Dragonball&SailorMoon, today it´s Noir&Hellsing.
I don´t know if you know the Asterix&Obelix, but they where truely the heros of my childhood. (the sentence sounds wrong...)
And yes, I´m a comicbook reading&gaming dork! Big Grin

Since I grew up in Japan during part of my childhood, and speak Japanese fluently, I'm definitely familiar with Manga and Anime. When I was a child in Japan, I'd watch shows like Doraemon, Nintama, Conan and Pokemon. Then in the US, I'd watch shows like Dragon Ball Z on Cartoon Network. I haven't watched as much Anime as I got older, but the last show I watched was Cow Boy Bebop.

These days, the cartoons I watch are the ones geared more towards adults like Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, The Simpsons and Futurama. The Simpsons is actually based off of a lot of places in Portland since the creator is from here.

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-21-2013

Woohooo, so much comic fans here. I didn´t expected that!

(04-18-2013, 12:58 PM)bookofknowledge Wrote: comic book are cool right now im reading marvel zombies
I read one book in the middle of the night, I then never again,because I lay awake all night. Blush

(04-19-2013, 11:38 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: Since I grew up in Japan during part of my childhood, and speak Japanese fluently, I'm definitely familiar with Manga and Anime.
It is certainly nice to see anime in Japanese and without subtitles to understand. I´m a bit jealous of you. Wink

(04-19-2013, 11:38 PM)GrimmForum Wrote: These days, the cartoons I watch are the ones geared more towards adults like Family Guy, American Dad, South Park, The Simpsons and Futurama. The Simpsons is actually based off of a lot of places in Portland since the creator is from here.

The simpsons are already almost family Cultural Heritage. At least for the german. Everyone over 7years looks them. Big Grin
But I didn´t know that it´s based of places in Portland!

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - GrimmForum - 04-21-2013

(04-21-2013, 07:38 AM)FräuleinWunderlich Wrote: It is certainly nice to see anime in Japanese and without subtitles to understand. I´m a bit jealous of you. Wink

I am a bit jealous you speak German!

(04-21-2013, 07:38 AM)FräuleinWunderlich Wrote: The simpsons are already almost family Cultural Heritage. At least for the german. Everyone over 7years looks them. Big Grin
But I didn´t know that it´s based of places in Portland!

That is awesome that the Simpsons is popular in Germany! Yeah, there are tons of references to Portland in the Show. In fact, Matt Groening, the creator of the show went to the high school in my neighborhood. He even drew an image of Bart on the concrete at the school.

[Image: cHzvQurl.jpg]

A lot of characters are named after places in Portland, and especially the streets in the Alphabet District (NW Portland). Which is not too surprising because that's close to the high school Matt Groening went to. But here's a few of the references I can think of.
  • The name Springfield is based off of Springfield, OR.
  • The Nuclear Power Plant is based off of the Trojan Power Plant.
  • Montgomery Burns is named after the Montgomery Park building and Burnside Street.
  • Ned Flanders is named after NW Flanders St.
  • Mayor Quimby is named after NW Quimby St.
  • Reverened Lovejoy is named after NW Lovejoy St.
  • Kearney Zzyzwicz is named after NW Kearney St.
  • Sideshow Bob / Robert Underdunk Terwilliger is named after Terwilliger Blvd.
  • The Simpsons live on Evergreen Terrace, which is the same street Matt Groening grew up on
  • The names Homer, Margaret, Lisa and Maggie are the same as Matt Groening's parents and siblings

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-22-2013

(04-21-2013, 08:50 AM)GrimmForum Wrote: [*]Sideshow Bob / Robert Underdunk Terwilliger is named after Terwilliger Blvd.

Haha, I have to google who is Sideshow Bob, because in German we called him Tingeltangel Bob.

And now the mystery of which Springfield Mr.Groening means is solved.

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - pale boy - 04-25-2013

Wow. All these years and the "Springfield Question" has been giving us answers all along, lol.

RE: Comic,Manga, Anime - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-27-2013

A few minutes ago,I have seen that in may a Grimm Comic comes out. And on the US Free Comic Book Day should be also on sale.

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981