Grimm Forum
NBC Crossbones - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-Discussions)
+--- Thread: NBC Crossbones (/Thread-NBC-Crossbones)

NBC Crossbones - wfmyers1207 - 05-30-2014

Wonder if anyone else plans on watching the premiere tonight. Saw the preview and it looks like the show might have potential. Not a big fan of John Malkovich, but we'll see.

RE: NBC Crossbones - wfmyers1207 - 05-30-2014

Well, just watched the first episode and it was rather interesting, but rather ambivalent. I'm not sure where its going. Is it a fantasy, an historical spy thriller, an action series, or is it trying to be all three? I'll guess we'll find out.

RE: NBC Crossbones - Hyndara - 05-31-2014

I've watched, mostly because Malkovich. And I don't really know what to think about it at all. Somehow the first episode felt more like a chain of single scenes to me. But that's maybe me, don't know. But Malkovich and also Sands (squee! Another of my favourites!) are both acting good, Malkovich as he's used to, a little weird, but I like his Blackbeard.
About the rest ... well, somehow I liked Crossbones more than Black Sails (unless Black Sails has the better intro Wink)

RE: NBC Crossbones - pale boy - 06-02-2014

It was a lot of set up, but I really did like the pilot despite the jagged edges. There was just enough action balanced with the exposition to keep me interested. And I really like the character of Tom Lowe, the physician. Believable as an anti-hero for me. Blackbeard is also suitably insane and Malkovich chews the scenery as expected.

As far as television pilots go, I'm always easy on them since some shows I love have had really terrible "first episodes".

RE: NBC Crossbones - wfmyers1207 - 06-07-2014

Just watched the 2nd episode on Hulu. It was pretty good, beginning to get an idea of where the plot line may be going.

Not a big fan of Malkovich, as I said before. But, have to admit he does a Machiavellian, psychopath version of Blackbeard pretty well!Big Grin

RE: NBC Crossbones - wfmyers1207 - 06-22-2014

Watched the third episode last night on Hulu and have to say I was disappointed. Not very good at all. Anyone else watch it?

RE: NBC Crossbones - wfmyers1207 - 06-28-2014

Just finished watching the 4th episode. This one was much better than the last, and it does seem that the plot is moving forward.

Selling the fancy chronometer to the Spanish, when he (Blackbeard) had said that accurate navigation would mean the end of piracy! And it was a factor in doing so, in the real world. That was an interesting little Machiavellian twist.Dodgy
And who is the real bad guy here, Blackbeard or Jagger?

RE: NBC Crossbones - wfmyers1207 - 08-03-2014

Well, just finished watching the season finale. I won't post any spoilers just in case anyone is still interested in watching the show. You can see all 9 episodes on NBC.com or Hulu.com. The show started slow but got rather better after the 4th episode. But, the ratings had dropped a lot by then and rumor has it that it has been cancelled. Although there is no official word as yet.

However, they way the ended it, the show could stand alone as a sort of mini-series. But also left an opening to return if it hasn't been cancelled.

I think it's worth your time. Not good at first, but got better along the way. Interesting ending. Smile