Grimm Forum
Books/ Urban Fantasy - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Thread: Books/ Urban Fantasy (/Thread-Books-Urban-Fantasy)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - GrimmForum - 06-01-2013

I never had a Kindle, but my friend did, and thought it was really cool. I like the black ink, and how it doesn't glare in the sun. I do own an iPad, so I don't see myself getting a Kindle in the future, but I do have the Kindle App on my iPad, and it's awesome because it syncs with my Kindle apps on all my other devices (Smartphone, Laptop, Desktop). My only concern about Kindle is I've heard of people getting their Amazon accounts suspended, which bricks your kindle, and you lose all your ebooks. :/

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - MuldersGirl - 06-01-2013

Okay, i'll download it and give it a shot. And yeah, that would be awesome, ive never tried sharing books either but heard it can be done. We can always have a try, do you know how? Smile

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - FräuleinWunderlich - 08-17-2013

Summer time is reading time so here comes another urban fantasy book that I like : Rivers of London from Ben Aaronovitch
Maincharcter is Constable Peter Grand, who is working for the London Metropolitan Police Service in the divison for paranormal activities. And he´s the first trainee wizzard since 50 years.

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - NorCalZombie - 08-10-2014

I cast Thread Resurrection!

Okay, had to revive this thread, just cause I love books and reviving an established thread is better than making a new one. With that said...

I'm an avid reader. Reading anywhere between 2-3 books a week, where time allows. I currently just started the series by Ben Aaronovitch. Once again the publishers switched the name here in the states, now it's called Midnight Riot instead of Rivers of London.

Other urban fantasy books that I believe deserve a good read are as follows.

1. Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (My all time favorite series)
2. The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
3. The Hollows Series by Kim Harrison (The last few books strays too far into paranormal romance for me)
4. The Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs (It's a fun read, but not that great)
5. The Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews (A bit similar to the True Blood series but with shape-shifters as the leads instead of vampires)
6. Repairman Jack Series by F. Paul Wilson (Probably #2 on my list. First book is grounded far more in reality. Fantasy/supernatural doesn't come in 'til near the end)
7. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (Great read)
8. The Secret Histories Series by Simon R. Green (My #3. It's James Bond meets magic)
9. The Monster Hunter International Series by Larry Correia (Good series. Title tells you it's plot haha)
10. The Demon Cycle Series by Peter V. Brett (Not urban fantasy but a great book series. First book is called The Warded Man in the UK and the Painted Man in the states)

Hope y'all don't mind the resurrection, nor my suggestions. Enjoy the read.

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - wfmyers1207 - 08-10-2014

I haven't read most of these stories, except the ones by Green and Correia. I'l have to try the Dresden Files. Keep hearing about them from many fans.

While their books are not urban fantasy, I can recommend Joe Abercrombie (who is very dark!) and Pierre Pevel.

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - wfmyers1207 - 08-13-2014

Just so happens I've been rereading Larry Correia's most recent Monster Hunters International book, "Monster Hunters Legion" (September 2012). There is a group of German monster hunters in the story called 'Grimm Berlin'. I wonder if that's a hat tip to the series which would have been airing it's 1st season when Correia was writing the novel.

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - Starfury - 08-13-2014

(08-10-2014, 09:03 AM)NorCalZombie Wrote: 10. The Demon Cycle Series by Peter V. Brett (Not urban fantasy but a great book series. First book is called The Warded Man in the UK and the Painted Man in the states)

Hope y'all don't mind the resurrection, nor my suggestions. Enjoy the read.

Not really a genre of fiction that really tickles my fancy, I did try the Dresden files which were okay but never could get into them. Though I loved Jim Butchers Fury series, fantasy at it finest. Also I have to wholeheartedly concur with the Peter V. Brett suggestion, I read the three so far in the demon cycle and am desperate for number 4, I'm reaching the point where I may start bombarding the man with abusive mail to try and get the next book out quicker Tongue. Pointless I know but it may make me feel better and I'll be in the illustrious company of all the abusers of George R R Martin Confused.

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - pale boy - 08-13-2014

Has anyone read the Craft Sequence by Max Gladstone? It looks pretty interesting. His books aren't a series, exactly, but rather part of an interconnected "universe," so if you read one, you don't have to have read the others to understand what's going on. I'm very tempted to take a gamble on these books and buy 'em, but I was curious if any other Grimmsters had read these.

In other news, I recently read the short story collection Rogues, edited by G.R.R. Martin. There are a few urban fantasy stories in it, straight-up fantasy, speculative fiction, and modern stuff, but it's worth recommending although it isn't completely urban fantasy. I mean, there's stuff by Neil Gaiman and Connie Willis in this thing! (Willis's contribution about the near-future movie industry was one of my favorites.)

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - wfmyers1207 - 08-20-2014

OK, I've heard a lot about The Dresden Files on this and other forums and decided to take a look. Until this week I had neither read the novels or watched the short lived TV series. So, I went on a marathon Dresden binge.

Decided to watch the TV series first so as not to be prejudiced by the books. Overall, I gave it a fair to good rating and thought it was getting better during the last few episodes. Shame the show didn't get more of a chance. Sad It didn't follow the novels exactly, but so what? Variety is the spice of life. Fans could have had 2 versions of Dresden. Alternate universe Dresden's if you will. Could have been interesting to see the different versions unfold. Oh, well.

I'm on the 3rd novel now and must say I really like them so far. An excellent blend of fantasy and noir fiction. What more can a guy ask for except a harem and free beer! Tongue

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - Starfury - 08-21-2014

(08-20-2014, 04:56 PM)wfmyers1207 Wrote: An excellent blend of fantasy and noir fiction. What more can a guy ask for except a harem and free beer! Tongue

Really I'd just take the free beer (and possibly some pretzels too), the harem after more than 10 minutes would be way to much like hard work (god imagine the bickering), and not the good kind either Tongue.