Grimm Forum
Books/ Urban Fantasy - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Community (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Community)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-The-Lounge)
+--- Thread: Books/ Urban Fantasy (/Thread-Books-Urban-Fantasy)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - bookofknowledge - 04-13-2013

(04-05-2013, 11:10 PM)pale boy Wrote: Dresden Files is a good example of urban fantasy. Angel and Buffy are not necessarily the first well-known works in the genre, but they are also really fantastic examples (and perhaps helped give urban fantasy a broader audience).

Like the Wikipedia page, TV Tropes has a good run-down of what it is:
TV Tropes Urban Fantasy Page

Basically, it's fantasy in settings that 1)probably don't predate the Enlightenment; 2) and involve recognizable settings, many of which are contemporary or modern.
dresden files are awesome

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - Lou - 04-13-2013

Oh, you know who else writes Urban Fantasy?
Neil Gaiman.
Good Omens, Neverwhere, American Gods, Anansi Boys.....

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-13-2013

I read the Phoenix Chronicles from Lori Handeland currently. And one of my favorits are the Woman of the Otherword Series from Kelley Armstrong.They lens surprisingly a TV show about it, at the moment.
What it´s Dresden files about? I´ve never heard that Book.

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - bookofknowledge - 04-13-2013

Dresden is a wizard doing wizard stuff and sometimes helping the police out with strange cases
(just the basics) and there is also a tv show off of it

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - Lou - 04-13-2013

The Dresden files was a short lived tv show based on a series of novels - i think there are 10 of them now. It is sort of a typical Film Noir, hardboiled detective story. But the Private Investigator is a wizard. There are ghosts, vampires, werewolves, spirits, demons, elves, etc. Dresden mostly uses his magic for good - you know lost child stuff but frequently in the novels he ends up pitted against some really bad guys. One of the things I really liked about the books is that there is always a central mystery - that if the reader is clever enough - can be solved before it is revealed. Most, if not all the important clues are provided early on in the books. Sometimes a little romance is thrown in. Its usually a little humorous. There is always some suspense. The characters are well developed. And the main characters all have "a past". The plot has twists, turn and red herrings. Oh, and all the gals are hot, all the guys are heroic, all the villains are scary.
Kind of like Phillip Marlowe meets Harry Potter.

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - FräuleinWunderlich - 04-16-2013

@lou Sorry i can not answer your question, because you messaging disabled. Smile

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - Lou - 05-09-2013

I found out that NeverWhere by Neil Gaiman had been made into a TV series in England. The book was great - i'm a big fan of Gaiman. So I went to the library and got the TV show. It really sucked and I didn't get much past episode 2.
In its defense, i think that part of the problem was that it appeared to be a pretty low budget show. There seemed to be a lot of sets but they were pretty hokey. Make-up, set design, special effects, are so much better now.

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - pale boy - 05-11-2013

(05-09-2013, 05:45 PM)Lou Wrote: I found out that NeverWhere by Neil Gaiman had been made into a TV series in England. The book was great - i'm a big fan of Gaiman. So I went to the library and got the TV show. It really sucked and I didn't get much past episode 2.
In its defense, i think that part of the problem was that it appeared to be a pretty low budget show. There seemed to be a lot of sets but they were pretty hokey. Make-up, set design, special effects, are so much better now.

I know what you mean. I watched that one a few years ago and while I appreciated the concepts, it had a bit of a "homemade play" feel to it. That story deserves a remake right about now ...

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - MuldersGirl - 05-25-2013

I love the Urban Fantasy genre, a good series of books I read recently was The Mortal Instrument series. For those who haven't come across it it is set in Brooklyn and is about an ongoing battle between demons and 'shadow hunters' very similar in some aspects to Grimm and Buffy - I really enjoyed it!

RE: Books/ Urban Fantasy - Lou - 05-25-2013

Oh, that reminds me of the Green and the Gray by Timothy Zahn.

For seventy-five years the Greens and the Grays have lived quietly among us in the shadows of New York, alien refugees from a war of attrition that utterly destroyed the rest of their kind. Passing as everyday citizens, yet with powers and technologies unknown to humanity, each group has long believed that they are all that remain of their old world and their terrible conflict. Click Here For More