Grimm Forum
What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? (/Thread-What-if-they-made-a-movie-and-or-new-series-where-Wesen-went-public-ethically)

Pages: 1 2

What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - Wesen.Pride - 01-05-2020

I always thought it was unfair both to Wesen and to normal people that the Wesen were in hiding; I actually found myself getting mad about it sometimes. Like, who wants to walk into a situation blind, and wouldn't you rather know the truth about the world even if it was scary and/or disturbing than to live a lie? Gals got picked up by the goat guys, the spider ladies died of old age super young when maybe modern science could have helped them, most crime was Wesen and the cops had no idea/went crazy, folks with absolutely no idea what they were getting themselves into got munched/victimised in numerous crazy ways, and Wesen felt a lot of self-hate navigating their identity in secrecy.

The whole "black claw" thing was a really bad thing because the the Wesen behind it were being all "Malcolm X" about it, but going public actually had some good things about it for me. What if they went about it ethically, for the good of all? There is literally no end to the creative content folks could come up with for Wesen consent laws and all kind of law enforcement, literature searches on electronic databases for Wesen-related studies, sci-fi demystification of old-world thinking, etc....

The X-Men series, Avengers series, and Star Trek series already have a philosophical framework from which to create (ex: having power does not justify the removal of rights), and it has the power to be a real feel-good celebration of many awesome things while also maintaining the mysterious, holistic-health-spice-shop feel of the original Grimm series. Not to mention that a lot of mysteries were never solved from the first series. How would a society navigate that world while making sure all rights were protected?

I'm thinking movie launch and new TV series if the movie generates interest.

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-05-2020

(01-05-2020, 02:25 PM)Wesen.Pride Wrote: How would a society navigate that world while making sure all rights were protected?

I think it wouldn't. I envision humans-first mobs seizing control of the country and moving to ethnically cleanse it of wesen while secret groups of kehrseite-schlich-kennen hide wesen in their attics and basements and try to smuggle them to a safer country.

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - Wesen.Pride - 01-06-2020

Interesting plot point, that. Implies differences in national agendas, which is reasonable to imagine. For countries which would respond that way, it's their loss.

Nevertheless, most ethnic cleansing operations were part of the national agenda already and took some convincing from the government; somewhat historically unprecedented for that to be the impetus for seizure of power. Further, we still live as a world in light of the holocaust. If the world forgets the holocaust I might more believe a tale of ethnic cleansing.

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-06-2020

Seizing power doesn't have to be by a violent coup. Hitler and Mussolini, for example, were both elected.

There have been multiple smaller scale Holocausts since WWII. It's not necessary to forget the Holocaust for it to be repeated. All that's needed is an "it can't happen here" mindset.

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - eric - 01-06-2020

There are lots of ethnic cleansing going on right now, Burma/Myamar(?) trying to remove a mountain tribe(can't find name to spell, Roma/Gypsey in certain parts of Europe, Muslims in India. All that is needed is a feeling that there are "others" who pose a threat to "us". In some places all wesson/most wessen would be accepted, in other places only "good" wessen would be okay, in other places every wessen would be fair game.

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-06-2020

If set in a very large country, I imagine a schism in which some regions are declaring themselves "wesen sanctuaries" and passing laws to protect wesen rights while in others people are demanding "anti wesen walls," profiling people who look "different," and wesen trying to live openly are being increasingly targeted for attack by various radical hate groups and individuals.

But of course, that's fantasy. It couldn't really happen...right?

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - brandon - 01-07-2020

Something like " ExMen".
It is better for me to remain a secret world, in which not every human can know about it.

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - eric - 01-07-2020

(01-06-2020, 07:57 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: If set in a very large country, I imagine a schism in which some regions are declaring themselves "wesen sanctuaries" and passing laws to protect wesen rights while in others people are demanding "anti wesen walls," profiling people who look "different," and wesen trying to live openly are being increasingly targeted for attack by various radical hate groups and individuals.

I am sure DNA tests would be developed to determine who was wessen and what type they were. For Grimms we may already have a test--how many cones are in their eyes. Soon to be in-laws could determine who and what was trying to enter the family, police could use the tests to narrow the search for possible suspects--"Nope captain, wrong type of "fur ball", quotas for college could be set. The possibles are endless. Some of us might want to go into hiding.Big Grin

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - irukandji - 07-29-2020

(01-06-2020, 07:57 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: If set in a very large country, I imagine a schism in which some regions are declaring themselves "wesen sanctuaries" and passing laws to protect wesen rights while in others people are demanding "anti wesen walls," profiling people who look "different," and wesen trying to live openly are being increasingly targeted for attack by various radical hate groups and individuals.

I know a lot of fans were not impressed with the Black Claw storyline. I actually thought it had potential, but bringing it into the 5th season was not a good idea. The threat would have worked much better starting back in season 1 or 2 and then gaining momentum with each surpassing season. I don't think wesen sanctuaries would work because of the series' 'wesen of the week' format. Because of so many different species, it would seem to be an exercise in futility.

RE: What if they made a movie and/or new series where Wesen went public ethically? - FaceInTheCrowd - 07-29-2020

In a region where wesen were accepted and lived openly among a kehrseite-schlich-kennen general population, being a wesen of one sort or another would be pretty much the same as kehrseites being white, black or brown. The WotW series format probably wouldn't work, and the plots would be more like the old "Alien Nation" series.

BC being introduced in season 5 was definitely part of the problem. Another was that its threat was way overblown compared to the strength of the forces it was able to muster in Portland. The entire worldwide "movement" was largely wiped out in a single battle in Nick's loft.