Grimm Forum
Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly (/Thread-Why-did-the-show-end-the-BC-arc-so-abruptly)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - Henry of green - 11-21-2018

The show spent the entirety of season 5 building BC as this great world threat, then Boneparte dies and by season 6 they’re basically just in the background somwhere while Renards on his crazy Nick hunt. Then after that are basically not heard from agian apart for 2 small scenes with Renard in episode 4 and 6 of season 6 until Trubel Returns in 6x12 and lets everyone know every cell of BC has been destroyed, what a waste. Did the show come to the realization that the arc wasn’t working so decided to end it as quickly as possible or did only getting a 13 episode season 6 cause the abrupt end of the arc.

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - FaceInTheCrowd - 11-21-2018

(11-21-2018, 05:01 PM)Henry of green Wrote: Did the show come to the realization that the arc wasn’t working so decided to end it as quickly as possible or did only getting a 13 episode season 6 cause the abrupt end of the arc.

Yes to both. BC/HW was a ratings loser. They saw that in S05 when midseason episodes that pushed BC/HW back in favor of WotW and Nick and Monroe going after the Grimm treasure raised the numbers up, and bringing BC/HW forward again afterwards brought them right back down again. When shooting on S06 began, the hope was that burying the arc ASAP might bring the numbers up high enough to convince the network to order another 13 episodes, but that was probably never really a possibility.

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - eric - 11-22-2018

They knew time was running out. I would say they wanted to close out some arcs--Nick and Adeline, Renard as mayor, and so they just cut to the chase and said "they are all dead". If they knew there would be a season 8 they probably have spent more time on the decline of BC.

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - Renardfan99 - 11-22-2018

The evil stuff that Juliette did at the end of s4 was enough for the show to return to WotW. Adalind should have had a miscarriage and she left town with Diana who was Eric's kid all along; Nik and the Scooby gang go back to their WotW stories as Nik slowly ends up with all seven rings the season 10. Meisner could have joined the scooby gang and worked off the grid for the team and Renard.

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - Henry of green - 11-22-2018

(11-22-2018, 09:31 PM)Renardfan99 Wrote: The evil stuff that Juliette did at the end of s4 was enough for the show to return to WotW. Adalind should have had a miscarriage and she left town with Diana who was Eric's kid all along; Nik and the Scooby gang go back to their WotW stories as Nik slowly ends up with all seven rings the season 10. Meisner could have joined the scooby gang and worked off the grid for the team and Renard.

There was zero chance of the show allowing Adalind to lose the baby via miscarriage, considering they went through all the trouble of having her be pregnant by Nick in the first place.

Also personally would much rather see Renard leave the show than Adalind hated his character from episode 1 of season 1.

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - irukandji - 11-22-2018

(11-22-2018, 09:31 PM)Renardfan99 Wrote: The evil stuff that Juliette did at the end of s4 was enough for the show to return to WotW. Adalind should have had a miscarriage and she left town with Diana who was Eric's kid all along; Nik and the Scooby gang go back to their WotW stories as Nik slowly ends up with all seven rings the season 10. Meisner could have joined the scooby gang and worked off the grid for the team and Renard.

When she was a foil for Nick, there always seemed to be a place for Adalind's character. But what could they do with a pregnant actress? She can't be a pregnant foil for Nick. Add to that that Adalind no longer had any alliances and thus no tasks that would keep her in the spotlight as Nick's enemy. I think the only thing they could do is make baby Nick's and put her on the road to redemption.

FITC, I am curious if you know. Did putting Claire's pregnancy into the series and thus redeem Adalind help the ratings at all?

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - FaceInTheCrowd - 11-23-2018

Damned if I know. The show had viewers in the mid 4M range through most of S04, dropped into the upper 3M range very soon after the start of S05, and only got back over 4M for 5 or 6 episodes that took Nick and Monroe to the Black Forest to find the Grimm chest and return with it. Then it dropped back down as the BC arc took over again. Adalind seemed to be central to what was going on back home while the guys were gone, so it's not as if Nielson households were reaching for their remotes anytime CC appeared on the screen.

Viewer numbers for the entire 13 episodes of S06 was consistently near 4M. So it's my conclusion that it was BC that cost the show about a half million viewers, and dumping BC that brought about half of them back into the fold. And Adalind was there the whole time.

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - Mart - 11-25-2018

I've never liked the Black Claw/Hadrians Wall storyline, although it had this very cool set with all that digital stuff.
Did they ever even explain who "Hadrian" was?!

When right at the end of the first S5 episode that old wesen woman jumped outside the window shouting "Occultatum liberat!", it was like the most cringeworthy moment of the whole show for me, that scene was just SO ridiculous and i laughed hard about it.
And i thought "man, this is not going to be a good storyline" and sadly i was right.

They wanted to do something different and new after 4 seasons and all that royal stuff pretty much beaten to death by then (literally, after throwing the king outside the flying helicopter Big Grin ), i get that, but BC/HW was simply the wrong choice.
I wonder what else they had on the table instaed and if that would have worked better.

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - irukandji - 11-25-2018

I actually thought BC could make a great story arc. HW, not so much. The problem I see with BC is its introduction so late in the series. For an organization like that to work, it would have to begin early in the series and be developed so that, if, someone like Renard decides to join it, the audience knows the reasons behind his joining.

RE: Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly - dicappatore - 11-25-2018

The problem with your summation was you neglect to look at how the characters were perceived by the show's fans. Juliette was not as popular as Adalind. You, yourself said; "The evil stuff that Juliette did at the end of s4 was enough for the show to return to WotW". You forgot to add, bringing her back nailed the coffin shut. Ironically, she should have been nailed in the coffin shut!

As for the question; "Why did the show end the BC arc so abruptly"?
Because it suxed.