Grimm Forum
‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV News (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-News)
+--- Thread: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC (/Thread-%E2%80%98Grimm%E2%80%99-Spinoff-With-A-Female-Lead-In-Works-At-NBC)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - dicappatore - 10-19-2018

(10-18-2018, 07:40 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: FYI, I live in Portland, OR.

Are you a skier and if so, have you skied Mt Hood? I done it twice, way back, before kids popped up, around the Labor Day Week/Weekend on the upper peak on left over snow from the previous winter. One day I will dig up the photos and post them. One photo in particular of the base lodge parking lot elevation above 6000 feet. Also above the cloud cover that was dumping rain on nearby Portland while it was bright and sunny and around 60 degrees C. skiing on corn snow.

(10-19-2018, 06:22 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Spin offs and reboots with new casts are like reset buttons on a lot of costs. Replacing 5-7 season veteran stars with relative unknowns, negotiating new subsidies and tax credits with location cities, etc.

Last Man Standing is not a reboot or a reset. Its picking up where it lefty off.

Rosanne was a reboot, now its a reset and it failed. Tell me if that wasn't about politics. What she said was a disgrace. If she had said something similar about a conservative minority, she be getting awards and be on all the talk show scene gambit all over the media.

For me, I just found her voice so irritating, I couldn't even take the shows advertising of the show itself. Shoot, I would get irritating flash backs watching Sara Gilbert (Darlene/Leslie) on "The Big Bang Theory"

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-19-2018

My age and old knee injuries make skiing a bad idea. I'm more of a Timberline Lodge dining room and bar kind of person now.

The coldest I can recall being in the past few years was the rainy January night I was wandering back and forth across the OMSI parking lot at 2AM as an ME examining a dead body. Could have been worse, though; I wasn't the guy laying in the puddle.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - Hell Rell - 10-19-2018

I personally prefer Conan over Leno but why they replaced him is a good question. I don't know anything for sure but I remember hearing something about how Conan had five years left on his contract when he was announced as Leno's successor when he was still the host of Late Night. The fear was of him leaving when his contract was up.

I think the NBC execs thought they could have the best of both worlds by giving Conan the Tonight Show as incentive to stay and also give Leno a new show. They probably wanted to avoid a debacle, because it was at the time, similar to the one they faced when Johnny Carson retired and Leno took over the Tonight Show. David Letterman was the host of Late Night and he was thought of as the ideal successor to Carson. Instead, Leno took over and Letterman went over to CBS and became his main/direct competition. The Tonight Show was still number one but no longer as dominant as it once was.

Of course, this created another debacle. The Tonight Show was no longer as special as it once was since Leno had a show that aired an hour and a half before it. It was no longer the show you would first see late at night. I would also think that A-list celebrities would rather go on the show that aired at 10 p.m. EST instead of 11:30.

And despite what you may think about their humor, Leno's comedy was safer than Conan's. Leno's style was definitely more vanilla. The fact that Conan may appeal more to younger viewers probably worked against him when he took over the Tonight Show. For example, one of Conan's most popular characters was the masturbating bear. It was also the birthplace of Triumph and he certainly didn't play it safe. Actually, I don't ever remember seeing the masturbating bear on the Tonight Show. I guess airing an hour earlier made all the difference.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - dicappatore - 10-20-2018

(10-19-2018, 07:39 PM)Hell Rell Wrote: I personally prefer Conan over Leno but why they replaced him is a good question. I don't know anything for sure but I remember hearing something about how Conan had five years left on his contract when he was announced as Leno's successor when he was still the host of Late Night. The fear was of him leaving when his contract was up.

I think the NBC execs thought they could have the best of both worlds by giving Conan the Tonight Show as incentive to stay and also give Leno a new show. They probably wanted to avoid a debacle, because it was at the time, similar to the one they faced when Johnny Carson retired and Leno took over the Tonight Show. David Letterman was the host of Late Night and he was thought of as the ideal successor to Carson. Instead, Leno took over and Letterman went over to CBS and became his main/direct competition. The Tonight Show was still number one but no longer as dominant as it once was.

Of course, this created another debacle. The Tonight Show was no longer as special as it once was since Leno had a show that aired an hour and a half before it. It was no longer the show you would first see late at night. I would also think that A-list celebrities would rather go on the show that aired at 10 p.m. EST instead of 11:30.

And despite what you may think about their humor, Leno's comedy was safer than Conan's. Leno's style was definitely more vanilla. The fact that Conan may appeal more to younger viewers probably worked against him when he took over the Tonight Show. For example, one of Conan's most popular characters was the masturbating bear. It was also the birthplace of Triumph and he certainly didn't play it safe. Actually, I don't ever remember seeing the masturbating bear on the Tonight Show. I guess airing an hour earlier made all the difference.

For me, personally, growing up watching Carson, he was one of a kind and un-replaceable. Leno was in no way able to fill his shoes and one of the reasons NBC lost some of its audience to Letterman. Still, if Letterman had taken over, to me, his own show proved, he would had done a lousier job that Leno. Sure, he took away some viewers from Leno but like you said, Leno was still #1.

I still favor Leno's humor over Conan but what I particular found Conan side kick obnoxious. What happened to him? Didn't he leave Conan but then I saw him back with him?

Whom I preferred was inconsequential. It was the viewing public that decided to put Leno back not me but by then the damage was done. So much for some suggesting how these media heads know what they are doing.

On a personal note. I find it very refreshing debating opinions with you, Face and a few others. I hate it when I have to debate created facts based opinions instead.

(10-19-2018, 06:53 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: My age and old knee injuries make skiing a bad idea. I'm more of a Timberline Lodge dining room and bar kind of person now.

The coldest I can recall being in the past few years was the rainy January night I was wandering back and forth across the OMSI parking lot at 2AM as an ME examining a dead body. Could have been worse, though; I wasn't the guy laying in the puddle.

That lodge always scared the crap out of me at night. It reminds me of the same lodge that was used in the movie, "The Shining". Was it? Sure looked similar to me.

I don't know how true this is, since I was never there, in the middle or the end of the winter, to see it myself. I was told by some of the locals, the upper most part of those lifts to the top are sometimes buried under the snow base at its peak snow fall.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-20-2018

Timberline was where the exteriors for "The Shining" were shot.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - Hell Rell - 10-20-2018

(10-20-2018, 05:49 AM)dicappatore Wrote: For me, personally, growing up watching Carson, he was one of a kind and un-replaceable. Leno was in no way able to fill his shoes and one of the reasons NBC lost some of its audience to Letterman. Still, if Letterman had taken over, to me, his own show proved, he would had done a lousier job that Leno. Sure, he took away some viewers from Leno but like you said, Leno was still #1.

I still favor Leno's humor over Conan but what I particular found Conan side kick obnoxious. What happened to him? Didn't he leave Conan but then I saw him back with him?

Whom I preferred was inconsequential. It was the viewing public that decided to put Leno back not me but by then the damage was done. So much for some suggesting how these media heads know what they are doing.

On a personal note. I find it very refreshing debating opinions with you, Face and a few others. I hate it when I have to debate created facts based opinions instead.

We've probably discussed the Tonight Show enough to have its own thread so this will be my last post about it. I'm sure people are getting annoyed and some that live outside the U.S. probably have no idea what we're talking about.

I remember a lot of other hosts, such as Jimmy Kimmel and David Letterman, were taking Conan's side in the matter. Throw Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert in there as well. I think it was Artie Lange who I heard speaking on why Leno didn't have the best reputation. He said Leno was thought of as more of a corporate brown-noser or company guy as time went on. I do remember Leno saying he would return to hosting the Tonight Show before Conan's dismassal was officially announced. Conan still had the job when he said this so that was a big no-no.

Weirdly enough, Conan was actually offered to keep hosting the show but it would be moved to midnight so it could air after Leno's show which would be reduced to half an hour and moved to 11:30 after the news. Conan rejected that offer because he felt like he would still be following Leno like before and the Tonight Show is no longer the Tonight Show if it's not airing after the news and following another show, which made perfect sense. I think Fox offered him a show as well but he went to TBS because he knew he would have more control of the content there.

In hindsight, the Leno/Conan thing was a disaster but I thought they made the right move at time. Leno was #1 but he would leave sooner rather than later and they thought Conan was the future. I don't know how much longer Leno had left and Conan would host the show for a couple of decades if he was a success. I think of it like replacing a franchise quarterback a year early instead of a year late. I've seen the latter stagnate franchise for years. But yeah, the damage was already done when Leno returned.

Ironically, I thought Conan's last two weeks of hosting the show was the best it's been in a really long time and I couldn't go back to Leno even though I liked him and watched regularly before.

Oh yeah, Conan's sidekick is Andy Richter. He did leave for a few years but returned when Conan got the Tonight Show. I remember not knowing he returned when I started watching the show.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - N_grimm - 10-20-2018

(10-20-2018, 09:19 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: We've probably discussed the Tonight Show enough to have its own thread so this will be my last post about it. I'm sure people are getting annoyed in some that live outside the U.S. probably have no idea what we're talking about.

I think these talk shows are quite famous all over the world. I live in Norway, but still know what you're talking about. (We have many foreign channels and some US programs are also shown on local TV stations). Just saying.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - Hell Rell - 10-20-2018

(10-20-2018, 12:22 PM)N_grimm Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 09:19 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: We've probably discussed the Tonight Show enough to have its own thread so this will be my last post about it. I'm sure people are getting annoyed in some that live outside the U.S. probably have no idea what we're talking about.

I think these talk shows are quite famous all over the world. I live in Norway, but still know what you're talking about. (We have many foreign channels and some US programs are also shown on local TV stations). Just saying.

I stand corrected. This was a very big deal over here almost a decade ago. I suppose this was talked about internationaly as well.

Though, I do wonder if the popularity of these shows are waning. There's so much viral content out there now that I would be shocked if they're still as relevant.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - N_grimm - 10-20-2018

(10-20-2018, 12:34 PM)Hell Rell Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 12:22 PM)N_grimm Wrote:

I stand corrected. This was a very big deal over here almost a decade ago. I suppose this was talked about internationaly as well.

Though, I do wonder if the popularity of these shows are waning. There's so much viral content out there now that I would be shocked if they're still as relevant.

I think you're right. Personally, I used to watch Letterman, but after he quit, I only watch this kind of shows if I stumble upon them.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - Mart - 10-21-2018

Is this thread about the Grimm Spinoff or about some Latenight talkshows?
Just out of curiosity...