Grimm Forum
‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV News (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-News)
+--- Thread: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC (/Thread-%E2%80%98Grimm%E2%80%99-Spinoff-With-A-Female-Lead-In-Works-At-NBC)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - eric - 10-18-2018

A good example of rebot/spinoffs is Roseann/Conners. I saw the first episode of new Roseann(okay sort of), haven't seen The Conners yet. There all kinds of reasons a spin off can work, if they can get good writers(IMO very important) gold will rain down on them, if not they will die in the mud by episode 2.Sad

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - dicappatore - 10-18-2018

(10-18-2018, 06:31 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: What matters most to the decision makers is profit. How much the show can bring in from advertisers, syndication, DVD sales, streaming sales, etc., vs how much the show costs to make vs how the numbers crunchers predict an alternative show will do by comparison.

Audience politics, religion, etc., matter only to the extent to which they affect the above. If a show is extremely popular in a given part of the country but its P/L figures don't add up well, it's toast. If certain segments of the population are screaming and calling for boycotts because it has offended them but it's profitable as all hell, it will live on.

Interviews are often strategic. When actors, producers. etc., praise the network for "believing in us," that means the ratings weren't so hot but someone came to their rescue by persuading the suits that the profit was still there and they're stroking that person. When they talk about how much a certain demographic loves the show, that's an effort to attract more viewers in that demographic because the numbers are actually not so great. Prospective viewers can be made curious about something by telling them that people like them love it.

And you always call a show a "hit show" in PR when you're trying to sell, resell or reboot it. As long as it had one good season, you're not fibbing.

Sorry Face, your generalization does not apply to both of the shows I mentioned in today's day and age. Grimm was still kicking ass in its time slot winch in turn, by your own analogy demands higher revenue from commercials which in turn equates more profit.

As for "Last man Standing. It was the number one comedy sit com on network broadcast TV and the 2nd highest rated sit-com on ABC. Number one comedy for all the days and time slots. That show, which, has been renewed by Fox and broadcasted by them, was taken off the air by the newly appointed ABC executive and staunch liberal for one reason only. The star of the show Tim Allen, a conservative, ridiculed liberals and he was funny at it.

I don't know where you live, but here in the USA, liberals love to dish it out, but they can't take it. Before you rebuff my post, please do your homework and inform your self better about both of these shows and you will find, Politics had lots to do with their cancellation, not the BS babel put out by ABC about picking up production costs. That show made lots of money.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-18-2018

Executives don't keep their jobs by making decisions that cost their companies profit. Any argument to the contrary is utter nonsense. The producers, stars and fans of shows that get cancelled often come up with fanciful conspiracy theories about why someone in the executive offices "had it in for them" even though they were "a hit," but the bottom line is always the bottom line: P. R. O. F. I. T. Either a show is not making the network a profit, it's not making the network as much of a profit as they think some other show they have waiting in the wings will or something else is happening because of that show that is costing the company profit (for example, if there's a groundswell of people telling companies that sponsor that show and a bunch of other shows on the network how upset they are that the companies are sponsoring that show and the companies are telling the network they don't want their commercials to run on that show anymore).

Could a network executive with a political agenda kill a show? Probably. By going to the network's board and convincing them that one of the above scenarios is happening. But network executive boards are not populated by bleeding heart liberals manipulating programming to fit their beliefs. It's doubtful whether any of them even have hearts or truly believe in anything...except the almighty dollar.

In the case of your example, "Last Man Standng" originally aired on ABC, but ABC didn't own any part of the production, unlike Grimm which aired on NBC and was produced by NBCU. So the network paid the people who made it a fee to license it for airing and collected advertising revenue, but made nothing off DVDs, merchandising or future streaming on Netflix, Amazon, etc. The "Big Three" networks have been moving away from that arrangement for years, so if the producers of the show wanted higher licensing fees and wanted the network to help fund production as well, it totally makes sense that the network's board decided it wasn't worth the money. Now it airs on the Fox Network. Who owns a piece of its production? 20th Century Fox Television.

FYI, I live in Portland, OR. Before that, in SoCal, where you constantly run into people who are either in "the business," used to be in it or are trying to get into it, and they all love to talk about how things work there. It's actually amazing how irrelevant a show's quality or the love anyone has for it is to its survival.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - brandon - 10-19-2018

So it happens in other markets:editorial, fashion..

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - Hell Rell - 10-19-2018

I wholeheartedly doubt Grimm was ended in its sixth season due to politics. There's no way that played any role especially considering Grimm never made any grand statements.

It was declining in ratings and wasn't produced by NBC. I've seen much more popular shows on the bubble for that reason. NBC execs should know all about this considering House was a huge hit on Fox but was produced by NBC and it was in danger as soon the ratings took a substantial hit. In that case, it was entering its eight season so renogoations were taking place and the lead actor was due for a significant raise. The supporting characters had to either take a pay cut or a reduced number of episodes and the overall production budget was sliced down.

I really don't see how Grimm of all shows would be cancelled due to politics. It's probably one of the more neutral shows I watch. I certainly don't think "bleeding heart liberal" when I think of Grimm.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-19-2018

Universal Television was a production partner for Grimm (Universal is the "U" in NBCU). The network doesn't profit from digital sales and merchandizing, but its parent company does, so anytime network execs were making renew/cancel decisions, the concerns of the production side of NBCU would have to be part of the discussion. That doesn't happen when there's no "family relationship" between broadcast and production. And if broadcast and production are owned by competing corporate parents, there could be other machinations at play. 20th Century Fox Television could conceivably have poison pilled negotiations with ABC so that Fox Network could acquire broadcast rights to a highly rated show, and grumbles about ABC dropping a show popular with conservative viewers because of "politics" would help draw those viewers to the show on Fox.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - Mart - 10-19-2018

Wow, these are such great news!!! I always believed in the Grimm World and never lost hope, but i wasn't sure it could really happen...
I am sooooo excited right now and can't wait to return to my beloved Wesen-World and see some of those great characters again. I so hope it will be successful and stays on for some more seasons.
Oh wow, i am sooo happy right now and feel like celebrating.... new Grimm episodes... YESSS!!! TongueBig GrinCool
I promise i will continue to support the new spinoff as good as i can from Germany and pre-order every new season on Bluray as soon as it will be announced, like i always did.

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - dicappatore - 10-19-2018

(10-18-2018, 07:40 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Executives don't keep their jobs by making decisions that cost their companies profit. Any argument to the contrary is utter nonsense. The producers, stars and fans of shows that get cancelled often come up with fanciful conspiracy theories about why someone in the executive offices "had it in for them" even though they were "a hit," but the bottom line is always the bottom line: P. R. O. F. I. T. Either a show is not making the network a profit, it's not making the network as much of a profit as they think some other show they have waiting in the wings will or something else is happening because of that show that is costing the company profit (for example, if there's a groundswell of people telling companies that sponsor that show and a bunch of other shows on the network how upset they are that the companies are sponsoring that show and the companies are telling the network they don't want their commercials to run on that show anymore).

Could a network executive with a political agenda kill a show? Probably. By going to the network's board and convincing them that one of the above scenarios is happening. But network executive boards are not populated by bleeding heart liberals manipulating programming to fit their beliefs. It's doubtful whether any of them even have hearts or truly believe in anything...except the almighty dollar.

In the case of your example, "Last Man Standng" originally aired on ABC, but ABC didn't own any part of the production, unlike Grimm which aired on NBC and was produced by NBCU. So the network paid the people who made it a fee to license it for airing and collected advertising revenue, but made nothing off DVDs, merchandising or future streaming on Netflix, Amazon, etc. The "Big Three" networks have been moving away from that arrangement for years, so if the producers of the show wanted higher licensing fees and wanted the network to help fund production as well, it totally makes sense that the network's board decided it wasn't worth the money. Now it airs on the Fox Network. Who owns a piece of its production? 20th Century Fox Television.

FYI, I live in Portland, OR. Before that, in SoCal, where you constantly run into people who are either in "the business," used to be in it or are trying to get into it, and they all love to talk about how things work there. It's actually amazing how irrelevant a show's quality or the love anyone has for it is to its survival.

The fact where you live means nothing on your outlook on the subject matter. I am basing my assessment on what Silas assessment of the show's audience. Grimm Show had nothing much to do with politics. What Silas was pointing out was, its audience, which he referred to, was the "Fly Over States". If you do not know what that means, let me explain it to you. It means, "Red States", "More Conservative Audiences". If you believe these media heads are only driven by profits and no politics? Man You are in dire need to buy this bridge I have to sell you in Brooklyn, NY.

In reply to:

(10-19-2018, 06:58 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: I wholeheartedly doubt Grimm was ended in its sixth season due to politics. There's no way that played any role especially considering Grimm never made any grand statements.

It was declining in ratings and wasn't produced by NBC. I've seen much more popular shows on the bubble for that reason. NBC execs should know all about this considering House was a huge hit on Fox but was produced by NBC and it was in danger as soon the ratings took a substantial hit. In that case, it was entering its eight season so renogoations were taking place and the lead actor was due for a significant raise. The supporting characters had to either take a pay cut or a reduced number of episodes and the overall production budget was sliced down.

I really don't see how Grimm of all shows would be cancelled due to politics. It's probably one of the more neutral shows I watch. I certainly don't think "bleeding heart liberal" when I think of Grimm.

Again, it had nothing to do with the show's politics but had lot to do with its audiences. I do agree, Grimm did have a declining viewership but still had enough to keep it profitable. If I am wrong about this, why is there talk of a spin-off?

If its all about profit and not politics, please explain why the Jay Leno Tonight Show debacle ever took place. The real reason Jay Leno was removed off the Tonight Show was due to him being an equal opportunity comedian. He made fun of all political persuasions. Unlike his replacement goof ball Conan. Thats why when the show under Conan failed miserably, they brought him back and eventually still replaced him. These executives will never tell the public why they do what they do. If its all about profits, why are so many mistakes made by the 3 major networks for the last 50 years

BTW, Jay Leno still has a large following. He has his own TV show about exotic card and had, and will most likely have a constant returning appearances on the revived "Last Man Standing". If you know so much about show business, please explain why a more popular personality like Jay Leno was replaced by a less popular one.

And Please, don't give me the network babel crap about attracting a younger audience. Ye All Mighty Dollar has no age valued requirement

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - eric - 10-19-2018

(10-19-2018, 12:41 PM)Mart Wrote: Wow, these are such great news!!! I always believed in the Grimm World and never lost hope, but i wasn't sure it could really happen...
I am sooooo excited right now and can't wait to return to my beloved Wesen-World and see some of those great characters again. I so hope it will be successful and stays on for some more seasons.
Oh wow, i am sooo happy right now and feel like celebrating.... new Grimm episodes... YESSS!!! TongueBig GrinCool
I promise i will continue to support the new spinoff as good as i can from Germany and pre-order every new season on Bluray as soon as it will be announced, like i always did.
Amen and Hallelujah, brother denizen of WOW--World of Wessen. Let us hope and pray it has a long and wonderful life.AngelAngelAngel

RE: ‘Grimm’ Spinoff With A Female Lead In Works At NBC - FaceInTheCrowd - 10-19-2018

Spin offs and reboots with new casts are like reset buttons on a lot of costs. Replacing 5-7 season veteran stars with relative unknowns, negotiating new subsidies and tax credits with location cities, etc.

I have never gotten the appeal of either O'Brien or Leno, so I'll stay out of that one. Except for the possibility that Leno's $20M a year salary gave the network a recurring itch to find someone cheaper.

TV viewers have complained about the "mistakes" of network programmers for decades. Some of them really are mistakes, the networks lose money and the execs get replaced. But if your favorite show gets cancelled and five years later the network management hasn't changed...