Grimm Forum
Krypton - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV Shows (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-Shows)
+--- Thread: Krypton (/Thread-Krypton)

Krypton - Hell Rell - 06-01-2018

This show turned out to be much better than I thought it would. It really does the Superman lore justice. It was one of the most surprising shows this season.

I'm not ready really crazy about Seg-El but I really like the House of Zod and Nyssa. They've also done a great job with Brainiac.

RE: Krypton - rpmaluki - 01-09-2019

I didn't expect to enjoy it but it did surprise me. I watched it all in a day. Seg is typically bland for a male lead. Why oh why can't they write a more charismatic lead like ever? I don't hate him but I wish he was more. It's weird to have a character not be his own self because it feels like they've reverse-engineered his grandson so we can draw comparisons like a child's paint by numbers drawing.

My favourites are Jayna (total badass) and Nyssa (deviously good). Dev is too pretty and I feel sorry for him the most.

I feel like this show is trying to be too smart, subverting what we should expect from a show like this but it's really not so original (apart from Dru-Zod actually being an
Spoiler :
El
which is intriguing for the show but I personally hate it. I feel like it's following after Smallville in terms of who is "fated" to be Seg-El's true mate (Jor-El's mother). It's not Lyta just like it wasn't Lana. The difference is that it doesn't have 10x22 episodes' worth of gas in the tank so my prediction is
Spoiler :
Nyssa is Jor's mother and she'll change their unborn child's name from Cor-Vex to Jor-El in response to finding out she is a clone and wanting a fresh start from the Vex legacy.

There's so much potential. I wish the numbers were good so they could spread the story at a decent pace, over several seasons. At this rate it will all be resolved next season and I love adding to the Superman mythos regardless of the medium.

Edit: I couldn't help but notice some similarities with Grimm but with a slight difference, the love triangle. It was planned on Krypton but Grimm sort of fell into it, the role reversal of the male lead's love interest, particularly the women involved swinging between being good and bad and vice versa. I don't know what Lyta's fate is, at least Juliette/Eve was given an opportunity to redeem herself.
Spoiler :
Lyta may not have that opportunity the longer she'd around her older son .

RE: Krypton - Hell Rell - 01-09-2019

I do agree that the show tries to be too smart at times. It also moved at a brisk pace due to having only 10 episodes. The twist with Zod was definitely one I wasn't thrilled about but I guess I could live with it.

The reverse-engineering to draw comparisons to Seg's grandson is on point. This is why I was initially worried about the show leaning too heavily on the existence of Superman. It felt like a crutch because they were afraid that people wouldn't care about Krypton 200 years in the past so they had to invoke Superman's name a lot to draw viewers. I do find it weird that Kara hasn't been mentioned once considering Adam Strange would probably be familiar with her as well but I get she's not Superman.

I also agree with you about Nyssa and what her future holds. I'm waiting for some sort of twist because it kind of seems too obvious at this point. I mentioned Kara above and Nyssa's appearance only strengthens my beliefs that you share as well.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Lyta. I got whiplash watching her towards the end of last season so her internal conflict should be fascinating to watch.

In addition to all that, we know that Krypton still needs to be destroyed at the right time for SM to exist. That really makes Adam Strange a big villain on the show because I can't see Seg or any of the protagonists allowing Krypton to be destroyed even if they had full knowledge of SM in the future. This really makes me hope there's an episode where some of the characters travel to present-day earth. I wonder if the Kryptonians will learn first-hand about what they can do under the effect of a yellow sun.

RE: Krypton - rpmaluki - 01-09-2019

The original story of Brainiac bottling Kandor happened closer to the planet exploding because Kara was around when it happened in the comics. This has me thinking someone messed with the timeline, pushing it back by a full 200 years which then had a knock on effect on pretty much everything. Why else would Strange and Zod show up, each with their own mission unless someone/something changed from the original?

Also, I feel like although Zod sort of stopped Brainiac from taking Kandor this time, Adam in the future frozen (bottled) city proves that Brainiac wasn't defeated at all and I suspect he will still go after Kandor and Krypton will still explode as a result. The one constant from DC, almost like Marvel's Ben Parker's death, (old) Krypton has to die in order for Superman to live. It's fate.

How they will right things should be interesting because it involves billions of people dying for the "Last son of Krypton", so very morbid of this show. I don't think it's going to be a simple case of letting the bad guys win/good guys lose. I keep going back to Fitz' space time explanation on AoS. In S3 where he explained that time was fixed and the team trying to change the future only ensured it happened regardless. (S5 kind of upends this but that's neither here nor there). It's possible that in order to stop Zod they (perhaps including Strange) will make a go of saving Kandor, Krypton and Kal (not necessarily Superman) but still end up with a bottled city and a dead planet (not centuries apart but just a couple of years) and the greatest superhero of all time.

RE: Krypton - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-12-2019

(01-09-2019, 01:56 PM)rpmaluki Wrote: The original story of Brainiac bottling Kandor happened closer to the planet exploding because Kara was around when it happened in the comics.

In the original Silver Age comics, Kandor was stolen several years before the destruction of Krypton, but Zor-El married Alura and Kara was born after that, during the 30 years that Argo City drifted in space on its slowly poisoning chunk of Kryptonian bedrock. So Kara wasn't around when it happened, but knew the story of Kandor's disappearance because it was part of the Kryptonian history she learned growing up.

RE: Krypton - rpmaluki - 01-13-2019

(01-12-2019, 10:55 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote:
(01-09-2019, 01:56 PM)rpmaluki Wrote: The original story of Brainiac bottling Kandor happened closer to the planet exploding because Kara was around when it happened in the comics.

In the original Silver Age comics, Kandor was stolen several years before the destruction of Krypton, but Zor-El married Alura and Kara was born after that, during the 30 years that Argo City drifted in space on its slowly poisoning chunk of Kryptonian bedrock. So Kara wasn't around when it happened, but knew the story of Kandor's disappearance because it was part of the Kryptonian history she learned growing up.
Thanks for clearing that up.