Grimm Forum
Diana and the "Other Mommy" - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Diana and the "Other Mommy" (/Thread-Diana-and-the-Other-Mommy)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Diana and the "Other Mommy" - irukandji - 05-26-2018

Quote:"Sometimes I miss my other mommy too. Her name is Kelly, just like my brother's."

Diana was an extraordinary baby. She knew Adalind was her mother even while in utero. Once birthed, there was no question she bonded with Adalind, her mother. There is no question of the bond taking hold as a few years later, she knew Adalind as her mother.

So why the term, "other mommy"? It had to be obvious to Diana that this was no hexenbiest caring for her, but something completely different.

What did Kelly say to Diana to convince this extraordinary baby that she was Diana's "other mommy"? What fabrication did she tell baby Diana about Adalind?

Would it be troubling to Adalind to know that her kidnapped baby viewed Kelly as her "other mommy"?

RE: Diana and the "Other Mommy" - New Guy - 05-27-2018

(05-26-2018, 11:45 PM)irukandji Wrote:
Quote:"Sometimes I miss my other mommy too. Her name is Kelly, just like my brother's."

Diana was an extraordinary baby. She knew Adalind was her mother even while in utero. Once birthed, there was no question she bonded with Adalind, her mother. There is no question of the bond taking hold as a few years later, she knew Adalind as her mother.

So why the term, "other mommy"? It had to be obvious to Diana that this was no hexenbiest caring for her, but something completely different.

What did Kelly say to Diana to convince this extraordinary baby that she was Diana's "other mommy"? What fabrication did she tell baby Diana about Adalind?

Would it be troubling to Adalind to know that her kidnapped baby viewed Kelly as her "other mommy"?
Hi Iruk,
Obviously, by the time Adalind gave birth to Kelly, Jr. she had developed a respect for her perhaps even gratitude that she had kept baby Diana hidden from the Royals. Adalind held Momma Kelly in such high esteem that she named her son Kelly.
Kelly was my favorite character because she was the epitome of a Grimm. N G

RE: Diana and the "Other Mommy" - Robyn - 05-27-2018

In S4 Adalind would be angry and resentful. In S5 she’d swallow it with a smile and try not to choke. In S6 she’d be grateful Kelly was a good role model for Diana. Adalind is easy because we watched her transition from adversary to fully integrated love interest.

Diana isn’t so easy considering her light speed growth spurt occurred off screen in one hideout or another and she was written to react however a specific scene required.

There were numerous discussions concerning who Diana was referring to when asking Juliette and Kenneth “where’s my mommy” as well as Diana’s proactive response to threats, even a perceived transgression such as Meisner touching her mother’s face, in S3 compared to her total lack of response to Kelly’s attack in S4.

I don’t think Diana referring to Kelly as her other mommy was meant to imply anything about Diana, Adalind, and their mother/daughter relationship. Rather, the writers used Diana’s sudden interest and concern for Kelly to establish that Juliette/Eve felt remorse for her part in Kelly’s death.

(05-27-2018, 05:18 AM)New Guy Wrote: Adalind held Momma Kelly in such high esteem that she named her son Kelly.
I think this is an overreach considering it occurred immediately after Kelly's birth when neither Nick or Adalind were sure how they'd proceed. I don't doubt if having to choose the lesser of two evils that Adalind would prefer Kelly over the Royals, but that doesn't suggest Adalind held the woman who kidnapped her baby in high regard. Just two or three episodes prior to Kelly's birth, Adalind was telling her dead mother that the Grimm and his mother stole her daughter.

I think it's more likely that Adalind suggested naming the baby after Nick's mother in order to enhance Nick's emotional connection to the baby, which might assist their transition from hated enemy to supportive parents.

RE: Diana and the "Other Mommy" - dicappatore - 05-27-2018

Putting my sarcasm aside, IMO, Which I am still allowed to express. This is just another attempt to "make a mountain out of a molehill".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3mbg-KqcfQ[/i]

Yes, dicappatore, it will. The mountain of biased interpretation of the characters and their actions began with the first response. irukandji’s statements and posed questions are inline with facts established by the show, and if we were to set aside our biased leanings and hero worship we might manage to have an objective discussion of the characters and the cause & effect of their actions.

RE: Diana and the "Other Mommy" - dicappatore - 05-27-2018

(05-27-2018, 07:27 AM)Robyn Wrote: Yes, dicappatore, it will. The mountain of biased interpretation of the characters and their actions began with the first response. irukandji’s statements and posed questions are inline with facts established by the show, and if we were to set aside our biased leanings and hero worship we might manage to have an objective discussion of the characters and the cause & effect of their actions.

OK, lets go with your route. Diana was self aware of itself days if not hours after she came out of the birth canal in that cabin in Switzerland of Austria. The country doesn't matter. Some, as myself, believe she was self aware of herself in the womb but it is insignificant when where she was self aware. we can agree, she was self aware early on.

So, how can such an intuitive child be so in tune with her surroundings and have such capabilities that were beyond any other Hex and whatever else powers she possessed that were never fully divulged to us

So, the question comes up. How could she be so aware of so much more yet not recall her "other mommy". At the same time, she did nothing to help to prevent her "other mommy's" demise. I think it was you whom posted the idea of bringing up her lack of memory was to show us a scene with Juliette feeling some remorse.

Again, how can such a child be so intuitive about so many things yet recall nada about Kelly senior.

How about we toss this one up to the writers using this character to fill what ever needs they could think of. For instance, what was that whole kidnapping of her by the Lieutenant that was promised a promotion to captain if Sean took the mayor job. Can anyone explain the whole purpose for that arc in that episode? IMO, it was just a filler.

Hence, "other mommy", is making a mountain out of a molehill.

RE: Diana and the "Other Mommy" - syscrash - 05-27-2018

Quote:How about we toss this one up to the writers using this character to fill what ever needs they could think of. For instance, what was that whole kidnapping of her by the Lieutenant that was promised a promotion to captain if Sean took the mayor job. Can anyone explain the whole purpose for that arc in that episode? IMO, it was just a filler.
That event showed a number of things. It showed the father daughter relationship. It also showed Sean accepts who Diana is, and extremely powerful hexenbiest. It also shows what happens when you try and hold Diana captive. As for who was Diana talking about when Diana asked, "Where's my mommy?". Remember it was at the very last minute that Adalind and Juliette switched places. It make sense Diana would have expected to see Adalind.
Quote: At the same time, she did nothing to help to prevent her "other mommy's" demise.
Why would she see Kelly as her other mommy. Remember we are talking months not years. From when we saw Kelly drive away to when she was walking up the steps. What do you have to back up the romantic notion you have of Diana and Kelly having this mother and daughter relationship.

it is one of two ways. Either she let the women you say she calls mother be attacked and did nothing. Followed by asking where she is. Remember this is not Diana's first encounter with deadly violence.
or the second option is Diana was expecting Adalind, the women we know was planning on being there. Wanting to see her mother she did not intervene. If we consider she was happy when she went from HW to BC because of her parents. Why would we not think doing what it takes with Kelly if it means seeing Adalind, who had planed on being there.

RE: Diana and the "Other Mommy" - Henry of green - 05-27-2018

(05-27-2018, 04:00 PM)syscrash Wrote:
Quote:How about we toss this one up to the writers using this character to fill what ever needs they could think of. For instance, what was that whole kidnapping of her by the Lieutenant that was promised a promotion to captain if Sean took the mayor job. Can anyone explain the whole purpose for that arc in that episode? IMO, it was just a filler.
That event showed a number of things. It showed the father daughter relationship. It also showed Sean accepts who Diana is, and extremely powerful hexenbiest. It also shows what happens when you try and hold Diana captive. As for who was Diana talking about when Diana asked, "Where's my mommy?". Remember it was at the very last minute that Adalind and Juliette switched places. It make sense Diana would have expected to see Adalind.
Quote: At the same time, she did nothing to help to prevent her "other mommy's" demise.
Why would she see Kelly as her other mommy. Remember we are talking months not years. From when we saw Kelly drive away to when she was walking up the steps. What do you have to back up the romantic notion you have of Diana and Kelly having this mother and daughter relationship.

it is one of two ways. Either she let the women you say she calls mother be attacked and did nothing. Followed by asking where she is. Remember this is not Diana's first encounter with deadly violence.
or the second option is Diana was expecting Adalind, the women we know was planning on being there. Wanting to see her mother she did not intervene. If we consider she was happy when she went from HW to BC because of her parents. Why would we not think doing what it takes with Kelly if it means seeing Adalind, who had planed on being there.

Syscrash, They are not taliking about the scene were Diania asks where her mommy is they are talking about the 6x07 scene when she tells Eve she misses her other mommy kelly. That scene clearly shows Diania had some affection for kelly, it also contradicts most of what you have written above about Diania possibly planning on putting kelly in danger in 4x22.

Diania-I thought your tummy might hurt because Nick's not your boyfriend anymore.
Eve- Yeah, I guess my tummy might hurt sometimes.
Diania- Do you want him back? Juliette-That wouldn't be right.
Things are really different now.
Diania-Sometimes I miss my other mommy too.
Her name is Kelly, just like my brother's.
You know her, don't you? I don't know where she is anymore.
Do you?

She literally says Kelly is her other mommy, it’s not opinion or romantic notion it is script fact she calls kelly her other mommy anything else is just your speculation.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=grimm&episode=s06e07

RE: Diana and the "Other Mommy" - syscrash - 05-27-2018

Quote:Diania- Do you want him back? Juliette-That wouldn't be right.
Things are really different now.
Diania-Sometimes I miss my other mommy too.
Her name is Kelly, just like my brother's.
You know her, don't you? I don't know where she is anymore.
Do you?
When you read this remember this is Diana. We had seen many examples that this child has insight. Read it especially the last lines as if Diana knows the answers. She knows what happened and she knows Eve knows what happened. You want it to be Diana being inquisitive. The problem is in all the other instances Diana is providing knowledge. She knows things she should not know.

You keep wanting to create this romantic picture of Kelly being motherly and taking care of Diana. Even though Kelly is an assassin. You then have Diana, who in every instance showing total Independence. Both characters established character traits do not lend to some deep mother daughter bond existing.

I guess it really comes down to what do you believe in this simple sentence " You know her, don't you? I don't know where she is anymore.
Do you? " is this Diana saying she does not know what happen and is asking Eve because she wants to know. or is this Diana trying to make Eve feel guilty. We have seen her use guilt with Adalind. That make more sense then see is clueless about the Kelly event, but was completely aware of other events.

(05-27-2018, 11:52 AM)dicappatore Wrote: OK, lets go with your route...
I think one of us misinterpreted the questions irukandji posed. I thought she was referring to how the characters did or might react to certain situations and what those reactions reflect about the characters. That’s why I responded that Adalind’s reaction to Diana referring to Kelly as her other mommy depended on timing, specifically, her relationship with Nick.

As we both said, the writers had Diana behave however a scene required. They didn’t identify who Diana was referring to when asking Kenneth and Juliette “Where’s my mommy” because the scene wasn’t about Diana’s relationship with Kelly or Adalind. It was about Kelly’s death, the Royals getting Diana, and Juliette’s involvement. The scenes after Kelly’s death would have played out the same had Diana not uttered a single word.

That said, I tend to agree with syscrash that Kelly and Diana didn’t have a maternal bond. The only reference I recall to Kelly being a mother to Diana prior to S6, was Nick saying early S4 that his mother was getting a second chance, but we don’t have a clue how Kelly and Diana actually interacted. We do know Diana only drew pictures of Adalind while at the safe house, not Kelly and not even Renard, and, she didn’t show any understanding of familial bonds when arriving at the BC house.

I also agree with syscrash that Diana being taken from Renard’s house in S6 expressed how he viewed Diana as a powerful being/weapon at his personal disposal compared to Adalind having a mother/daughter relationship with Diana, and her powers something Adalind wanted to protect her from rather utilize.