Grimm Forum
Wesens Like Living in Portland? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Wesens Like Living in Portland? (/Thread-Wesens-Like-Living-in-Portland)

Pages: 1 2

Wesens Like Living in Portland? - parsonii - 12-07-2013

This is probably a question I should ask in S1, but bear with me, I have only recently discovered this forum.

Is it just me is there a lot of wesens in Portland? It seems more than 50% of the crimes are wesen-related. Why weren't there weird cases before Nick learned that he is a grimm? Or are wesens somehow congregating to Portland because a grimm is there? =.=

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - Gretel Hanselsister - 12-08-2013

Hi and welcome to the forum!
You probably don't know the "Wesen connection"? Big Grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWlhsTTqq3o

...something attracts them here, but no one else sees them...

I think it's possible that the world is full of Wesen, we just don't notice it because we are no Grimms. There's a comment Renard gives when Nick tells him in "Volcanalis" that Marcus Hemmings is Wesen. "Who isn't these days."

But you are absolutely right: there isn't an explicit answer to your question. None that I have seen.

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - Lou - 12-08-2013

We talked about this in some other thread. Maybe someone else remembers...
But I think the general consensus is that with lots of forests and bridges and rivers and stuff - there was good habitat for forest living creatures (like bears, wolves and foxes,) and trolls for the bridges, and rives for the otters, beavers and mermaids. Smile

Plus since the population of Portland was already pretty weird (see Portlandia) no one would notice a few more strange "people".

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - Nic118 - 12-08-2013

I do wonder what happened in all the Wesen-related cases before there was a Grimm (who knew he was a Grimm, that is) on the police force. (We did see Hank revisit one of those cases, so it's obviously occurred to the writers too.) There probably aren't any more Wesen in Portland than there are anywhere else, it's just that Portland is where the show is set. For instance, if the show was set in L.A., people would probably be asking why there are so many Wesen in Los Angeles.

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - pale boy - 12-08-2013

Welcome to the boards, parsonii. That is an interesting question you have, one that really is a giant headscratcher when you think about, and it's a question that I've had myself.

The awesome food and the culture draw Wesen in, of course! :-p Okay, to be serious, I am not sure why this happens. At this point, there are just fan theories to run on.

Is it because there is something about the wilderness that attracts these people? If Wesen are magic-based or supernatural in origin, do untouched landscapes have more magic? To quote this page from oregon.gov

Quote:About 28 million of Oregon’s 61 million-acre land base is forest land, according to the Oregon Department of Forestry. While other parts of the country have experienced extensive forest land loss to development, Oregon retains about 92 percent of the forest cover that was present in 1850, according to the Oregon Department of Forestry.

That many trees really makes northwestern Oregon seem like this Western fairytale type area compared to other places in the US, full of wilds and nature. It's easy to imagine that unknown things might dwell in the Pacific Northwest.

Or, maybe, if anyone feels like in indulging in connections with Angel or Buffy, (since David Greenwalt, one of the creators of Grimm, was involved with both of those shows), maybe Portland contains something similar to a "Hellmouth", and that is what attracts all the "weirdness".

Wesen aren't the only things that exist either. There was whatever La Llorona is, that elemental-type creature from Vocanalis, and the strangeness that was going on in the recent Season 3 episode, "Stories We Tell Our Young". Spoilers for that:
Spoiler :
Although what affected the victim of the week was explained as a disease, it seemed as if it might have had more supernatural origins -- in other words, something that could carry over to humans from a more magical source.

Alas, that is all speculation unless addressed in the show.

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - Lou - 12-08-2013

Where does the term Hellmouth come from? is it a Buffy thing?
I was just wondering cause according to Veronica Mars, Neptune is over a Hellmouth.

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - parsonii - 12-09-2013

I quite like the full of wild and nature explanation. There were certainly quite a few episodes taking place in the woods. Almost made Portland sounds like a pleasant place to live in -- for the nature, not the wesens, of course. Smile

Now whenever I hear "Portland," all I can think of is Grimm. LOL

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - Nic118 - 12-10-2013

I've wanted to live in Portland for a long time. Which is funny, as I'm not really a nature-loving sort of person. It just looks like a beautiful city, among other things.

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - pale boy - 12-10-2013

(12-08-2013, 08:56 PM)Lou Wrote: Where does the term Hellmouth come from? is it a Buffy thing?
I was just wondering cause according to Veronica Mars, Neptune is over a Hellmouth.

Yep. "Hellmouth" as in a place where weird and magical stuff happens is indeed a Buffy thing, although Hellmouths as Christian folklore have existed long before that. Hellmouths were considered literal entrances to Hell. Folklore is crazy fantastic. (For example, early Medieval depictions of the Devil were blue and not red, as blue was considered something of an unholy/unusual color until it was associated -- through art and the expensive pigment of lapis lazuli -- with the Virgin Mary.)

I'd love it if Hellmouths (or "thinnies" if you're into Stephen King's Dark Tower series) showed up in Grimm as the explanation for Portland's big Wesen appeal. Although it seems that it isn't the only place where the supernatural makes its home -- a lot of Wesen terms and culture we've been introduced to so far have been derived from Germany. There could be potential "hot spots" all over the planet.

RE: Wesens Like Living in Portland? - droid327 - 12-22-2013

Ethnographically speaking, its not uncommon for certain cities (or even parts of cities) to become enclaves for certain demographics. Asians in San Francisco, Irish in Boston, Cubans in Miami, Jews in West Hollywood, etc.

Usually its because its the closest city to wherever they come from, so you'd think it'd be somewhere on the East Coast that most of the European wesen emigrate to...but they do have greater "environmental" needs than regular humans, and Portland is a lot closer, environmentally, to Northern/Central Europe than any major cities on the East Coast.

Plus, the original wave of emigrants probably wanted to get as far as possible from the influence of the Royals, and the West Coast certainly was more "remote" from Europe around the turn of the 20th C. than the East Coast. Then, once you've established a Wesen enclave in Portland, that's going to be where future Wesen emigrants are going to gravitate towards. The fact that Portland has evolved such an "out there" culture doubtlessly helps too (and in-world, that might even be BECAUSE its such a major Wesen enclave!).