Grimm Forum
Grimm (2011- 2017) - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Grimm (2011- 2017) (/Thread-Grimm-2011-2017)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Grimm (2011- 2017) - syscrash - 04-02-2018

Your last post explains exactly how and why Cambridge Analytica's was able to do what they did. Even now that it is pointed out what happen and how. You have a large part of society that either disbelieve or refuse to believe it is possible. They do not want to admit they are able to be manipulated. Even now so many can not tell real post from fake post. You do know all post even on the Grimm forum are not real. Bots on Grimm like other forums frame conversations to find people with a certain type of understanding. these people are most likely to click on links posted that direct the viewer to somewhere else. Once there the program knows these people are susceptible . they are then directed father down the rabbit hole. Eventual they are deep into the belief system of what the designer wanted them to participate in. This type of misdirection may or may not be directed by the writers or the developers of the show. It is most times a third party that is seizing on an opportunity.
The test that you teacher used is a common tactic used on the internet to gather data on how people think and respond. What makes it work is most people only see it as people will view the same thing in different way people justify this difference on a lot of outside influences. The fact is what you saw had only one set of facts meaning there was only one description. What was subjective was how people interpretative what they saw. For most people there interpretation was based on what they knew. Then there where others that where able to look past what they knew apply critical thinking and where able to give a very accurate explanation of what and why.

And that is my point without applying critical thinking to what is viewed and discussed. To not just chalk it up as different people have different opinions. You will find your self just another one of the masses that is being controlled by some very creative people who have figured out how to push people buttons. A little FYI if you are ever in doubt if a post is a person or bot. To test, apply the turing rules. Ask a question that requires abstract thinking. It use to be you only had to ask non logical question. But you have bot like Sophia who can actually hold philosophical conversations.

If you are wondering why I spend so much time on this subject. I spent years helping to design some of the tools that are now being abused. When I was doing it. The purpose was to make games seem more realistic. To give single user to same feeling as if playing multiplayer. I am retired now and as time goes on I see a lot of what was developed being used in ways I do not agree with. What I would like is people to be aware that scripted shows, commercials, online conversations all use the same knowledge an understand of what and how to direct peoples thinking without them even knowing they are being manipulated. That is not to see all these platform have evil intent. At least no more then the guy that sold you your last car. It is the ones do have bad intentions that concern me. It is seeing people not making informed choices and knowing why.

RE: Grimm (2011- 2017) - eric - 04-03-2018

When in law school the same lesson took place, its purpose was to demonstrate to the future(hopefully) lawyers how what one person can swear they saw a blue dress, another a green dress, and another great looking legs. We focus on some item and miss another. Since we have the show on tape, we should be able to review it at our leisure and come to an agreement as to what we saw. Maybe if we all just looked at the episode again we could reach some consensus. If not, maybe we are just pushing an argument to fill the day. Me, I don't notice clothes, i saw the legs. Once a pig, always a pig.Big Grin

RE: Grimm (2011- 2017) - dicappatore - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 07:58 AM)eric Wrote: When in law school the same lesson took place, its purpose was to demonstrate to the future(hopefully) lawyers how what one person can swear they saw a blue dress, another a green dress, and another great looking legs. We focus on some item and miss another. Since we have the show on tape, we should be able to review it at our leisure and come to an agreement as to what we saw. Maybe if we all just looked at the episode again we could reach some consensus. If not, maybe we are just pushing an argument to fill the day. Me, I don't notice clothes, i saw the legs. Once a pig, always a pig.Big Grin

My eyes would go to the chest area Big Grin, yea boobs. Sorry, as a European reared child in my early years, I was breast fed to the age of 2 and a half years old, not months but years.Tongue

(04-02-2018, 11:59 PM)syscrash Wrote: Your last post explains exactly how and why Cambridge Analytica's was able to do what they did. Even now that it is pointed out what happen and how. You have a large part of society that either disbelieve or refuse to believe it is possible. They do not want to admit they are able to be manipulated. Even now so many can not tell real post from fake post. You do know all post even on the Grimm forum are not real. Bots on Grimm like other forums frame conversations to find people with a certain type of understanding. these people are most likely to click on links posted that direct the viewer to somewhere else. Once there the program knows these people are susceptible . they are then directed father down the rabbit hole. Eventual they are deep into the belief system of what the designer wanted them to participate in. This type of misdirection may or may not be directed by the writers or the developers of the show. It is most times a third party that is seizing on an opportunity.
The test that you teacher used is a common tactic used on the internet to gather data on how people think and respond. What makes it work is most people only see it as people will view the same thing in different way people justify this difference on a lot of outside influences. The fact is what you saw had only one set of facts meaning there was only one description. What was subjective was how people interpretative what they saw. For most people there interpretation was based on what they knew. Then there where others that where able to look past what they knew apply critical thinking and where able to give a very accurate explanation of what and why.

And that is my point without applying critical thinking to what is viewed and discussed. To not just chalk it up as different people have different opinions. You will find your self just another one of the masses that is being controlled by some very creative people who have figured out how to push people buttons. A little FYI if you are ever in doubt if a post is a person or bot. To test, apply the turing rules. Ask a question that requires abstract thinking. It use to be you only had to ask non logical question. But you have bot like Sophia who can actually hold philosophical conversations.

If you are wondering why I spend so much time on this subject. I spent years helping to design some of the tools that are now being abused. When I was doing it. The purpose was to make games seem more realistic. To give single user to same feeling as if playing multiplayer. I am retired now and as time goes on I see a lot of what was developed being used in ways I do not agree with. What I would like is people to be aware that scripted shows, commercials, online conversations all use the same knowledge an understand of what and how to direct peoples thinking without them even knowing they are being manipulated. That is not to see all these platform have evil intent. At least no more then the guy that sold you your last car. It is the ones do have bad intentions that concern me. It is seeing people not making informed choices and knowing why.

You make some valid points but remember what we are discussing here. Fictional characters on a fictional show that has no resemblance into real life. You ever watch some of these Lifetime movies?

Me and the wife do. These writers that write this crap have no clue. Even some of the 'Based on actual events" are ridiculous. My wife has her reasons to why she watches them.

For me, my entertainment comes from how I would have figured it out or prevented the murder, the abduction, the backstabbing and so on during the first 15 minutes. Yea If I lived in these Lifetime movies they would have ended in 15 minutes because what these characters do is just stupidity or just asking for what they get.

Take Nick and Juliette. In that 1st episode. When he gets home, before taking a walk out with his aunt to reminisces. I would have said hello to my aunt then welcomed her in my home and then I would have went on with the proposal. Second, I would have filled her in with the Grimm situation with his aunt to back him up. Oops, there goes a few arcs out the window.

The Rosalee and Monroe wedding day. Juliette gets home a bit earlier, in reality it is Adalind morphed into Juliette. My response would have been, Sorry honey. I love you so much but we have a wedding to go, I am the best man. We are responsible adults and you know how I hate to rush when I do my "Exclusive Juliette Thing". we can shag all you want tonight, after the wedding.

Oops, Nick doesn't loose his Grimm, Juliette doesn't become a Hex. and the show would have been probably cancelled or the pilot not been picked up. See what I mean?

RE: Grimm (2011- 2017) - brandon - 04-04-2018

Nick expected to be alone to make the proposal to Juliette.
I do not see anything bad that he had gone with his aunt outside, she was the one who raised him and could have spent some time without seeing.
Either that they had sex in the afternoon-Nick and Adalind/Juliette-.it's normal.

RE: Grimm (2011- 2017) - dicappatore - 04-04-2018

(04-04-2018, 05:12 AM)brandon Wrote: Nick expected to be alone to make the proposal to Juliette.
I do not see anything bad that he had gone with his aunt outside, she was the one who raised him and could have spent some time without seeing.
Either that they had sex in the afternoon-Nick and Adalind/Juliette-.it's normal.

I didn't see anything wrong either. The point I am trying to make is, If I was in his place and acted how I would. I would have proposed as planned after my aunt shows p. Again. If these writers wrote stories more like real life. There would be no story, hence, "writer's intent" theory is blown out the window.

RE: Grimm (2011- 2017) - FaceInTheCrowd - 04-04-2018

Nick picked up the ring that day, but it was never said that he planned to propose that same day. But even if he did, his terminally ill aunt showing up unexpectedly and saying "we need to talk" would be a red flag that something more urgent has just come up.

RE: Grimm (2011- 2017) - Hell Rell - 04-04-2018

I don't think seeing writers' intent is nearly as difficult as some people are making it. The point shows like Grimm, GoT, and the ones in the Arrowverse are trying to make are not hard to see. A discussion about writers' intent is interesting but we're talking about something more important here as it relates to quality.

Writers' intent doesn't improve the story on the screen. I'm not going to think any story is better because of what the writers' wanted to portray. I know the writers' intent on a show like GoT because they talk about certain plot points after every single episode. If anything, it makes me think less of the show because of the sloppiness, continuity issues, and out-of-character moments that constantly happen. They often let their intent get in the way of a well-written story. In some instances, it can lead to a lot of controversy.

RE: Grimm (2011- 2017) - dicappatore - 04-05-2018

(04-04-2018, 06:34 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Nick picked up the ring that day, but it was never said that he planned to propose that same day. But even if he did, his terminally ill aunt showing up unexpectedly and saying "we need to talk" would be a red flag that something more urgent has just come up.

Actually, S1, E1 Pilot, the scene Nick and Hank are in the police station and had just figured out whom the missing person and victim of the attack, about only 6 minutes into the episode, Nick drops the ring, in its case, on the desk. Hank grabs it and chucks it at nick with the line:

Hank; Big night. Don’t blow it Romeo. {Hanks breaks out in a laugh}

I think that’s suffice to say, he was planning on proposing that same evening.

(04-04-2018, 07:36 PM)Hell Rell Wrote: I don't think seeing writers' intent is nearly as difficult as some people are making it. The point shows like Grimm, GoT, and the ones in the Arrowverse are trying to make are not hard to see. A discussion about writers' intent is interesting but we're talking about something more important here as it relates to quality.

Writers' intent doesn't improve the story on the screen. I'm not going to think any story is better because of what the writers' wanted to portray. I know the writers' intent on a show like GoT because they talk about certain plot points after every single episode. If anything, it makes me think less of the show because of the sloppiness, continuity issues, and out-of-character moments that constantly happen. They often let their intent get in the way of a well-written story. In some instances, it can lead to a lot of controversy.

HR, thats my point about all this "writers intent" I am not claiming it doesn't exist or pertain to the story. I just think it is a lot more simplistic then some try to claim it as it has hidden meaning effecting the story line