Grimm Forum
Hexenbiestdom - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Hexenbiestdom (/Thread-Hexenbiestdom)

RE: Hexenbiestdom - irukandji - 01-27-2022

I never understood the need for contacts in the first place. Rosalee is a nice person, but I just can't see her scouting Portland, looking for the potential violators of the all important code of woge secrecy. I don't know why the council just didn't publish a toll free number and leave it up to wesen to call in if they suspect some kind of violation. That would have made much more sense.  

Saying that, the series apparently felt some need for a go between in wesen matters. I don't think the council took their contacts for granted and I would not be surprised if the council paid them for their vigilance. I am still surprised that Rosalee didn't report Juliette to them, especially after the spice shop incident. In my opinion, a vigilant contact does not wait until there's a wesen in full on woge. 

When it comes down to it, though, it really is a stupid law.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-27-2022

It was made even more ridiculous by the revelation that multiple governments worldwide already knew enough about the existence of wesen to form an international secret intelligence network to respond to the threat of a wesen uprising. Although I had a low opinion of HW, at least when BC took down their Portland base it didn't obliterate the whole thing in one shot the way the wesen council was taken out.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - irukandji - 01-28-2022

And that was the weak link of the whole series. It can't be both ways and work.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-28-2022

Sure it can. The big, bad group whose wrath everybody's quaking in terror over turns out to be a bunch of fools skating on their reputation. Like the schoolyard bully who runs away sobbing the first time one of his intended victims decides to hit him back.

The council didn't work.  Grimm pretty much trampled the whole wesen council thing when it showed that governments were aware of wesen and humans worked right alongside them.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-28-2022

Considering how seldom the council sent anyone to Portland, I would say the need for it had probably been overhyped for a long time. It's not as if the city was suddenly overrun with more wesen crime after it was gone.

There were several posters who compared Grimm to Buffy, and I think some have compared it to Arrow as well. I didn't watch either of those two shows. However, the show I have often found that has similarities with Grimm is Bewitched. I have wondered if the Wesen Council wasn't a direct nod to the Witches' Council. The Council didn't send emissaries to assassinate people, nor did they seem to care if witches used their powers in public. However, they had control over any witch they chose and could strip her powers from her at will.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-29-2022

I didn't watch those shows either, and don't remember much about Bewitched. But if their witches' council only showed up once in a great while and never did anything that lasted beyond a single episode, the analogy seems reasonable.

RE: Hexenbiestdom - irukandji - 01-30-2022

The witches' council really had much of the same problem as the wesen council, too small of a group to be taken seriously. I mean, can a small group of people really be enforcing law on all of the rest of the population? Not hardly. The witches' council had the power to remove a witch's magic, but in order to do that, said witch would have to be caught in the middle of the offense. These women seemed to be floating amidst the clouds, so they weren't seeing a thing. I assume they had to rely on some tattle tale, and who's to say the tattle tale is correct? With regard to Rosalee, she was never portrayed as a person who was out seeking those who violated this wesen law. She was often violating it herself, only in her case, it was just dumb luck that no one saw her.

We've currently got a world wide crisis on our hands now with the virus, even though we have a shot for it and can implement some practices to hinder the virus. If the virus occurred in the imaginary world of Grimm, would the wesen council take a different tactic and try to help wesen by being informative and not punitive? Of would they look the other way?

I actually lost my taste after getting covid, and even worse, some of my hair. The pandemic is a polarizing topic, and right now Omaha is in the midst of a mask war. We have been mandated to wear masks, but most people feel that with 70% of the population innoculated, they shouldn't have to. We know wesen woge when they are frustrated or annoyed. They may have worse side effects than their human counterparts. How do you think they would deal with a world wide pandemic?

RE: Hexenbiestdom - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-31-2022

Probably would depend on how wesen react when the pandemic hits them. If most are like our cats, they'd isolate and hide until they're better, and unless the council has the ability to deploy a network of wesen and/or kehrseite-schlich-kennen physicians to seek out and treat affected wesen there'd just be a high instance of people dying untreated in their homes who are never identified as wesen.

We saw several instances of wesen infected by illnesses that made them behave dangerously. I imagine that in the absence of a grimm like Nick to handle them, someone might report the emergency to the council. Whether the council would have people like Rosalee on call who could provide treatment and cure, or if they would just send marechaussee to kill the affected wesen, in which case there might be a rash of mysterious serial/mass murders nationwide, I have no idea. But from what we saw of the council, I don't see any reason to believe they ever made any effort to actually help wesen who were at the center of potential issues.

I hope your covid symptoms are not too long lasting.