Grimm Forum
Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop (/Thread-Could-the-series-have-work-without-Nick-being-a-cop)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - dicappatore - 02-11-2018

(02-11-2018, 07:27 AM)Robyn Wrote: The trouble with the Trubel analogy *grin* is that she did survive being attacked by Wesen from a very early age. Grimm instinct and skill must have kicked in despite her lack of knowledge/understanding. Plus, just the number of Wesen cases suggested Portland was a hotbed for Wesen crime. So Nick and Hank must have encountered dangerous Wesen before he became a Grimm.

(02-10-2018, 02:41 PM)dicappatore Wrote: I totally agree with the show being simplistic. Please, re-read my post again. I said that the show was NOT complicated. The complication of the show, I was referring to , with Nick as a cop, was directed to some viewers, based on the ridiculous assumptions some have made on these various threads on this Forum.

Then, I added, with the additional complications, with Nick as a NON-COP, wold be reflected as more confusing to those same few viewers already confused. Again, The confusion I was referring to was not directed to most viewers but only to a select few.

Such as, viewers claiming that Nick was being paid as a Grimm, Juliette was not responsible for creating the situation of Kelly getting killed, Who abandoned who, between Nick and Juliette. Did Grimms get a choice to not be a Grimm. Was a Hexenbiest magic, spirit, a possession, a Telekinesis Master, a genie, a superhero, alien. Feel free to add a few more concoctions for the scarcely confused.

To most of us, Yep, it was kind of simplistic.
That, right there, is what I was referring to. Unnecessary snide remarks about conflicting opinions rather than discussing the thread topic. Grimm would have been uncomplicated regardless of Nick’s chosen profession. The show delved very little into the how and why, and mostly focused on the specific drama driving the episode’s action.

I might disagree with some of the opinions and theories posted on the forum, but I can still understand that the show's utilization of ambiguity allowed for a gamut of interpretation.

Well after watching Grimm for 6 years, it is obviously to some of us that being a Grimm was a bit more involved hat just being able to see stage one of a voge. They were born with additional fighting skills. How else was Trubel able to survive multiple dangerous Wesen attacks for so many years. It had to be more than just “LUCK”. Something I had mentioned, I believe, on a thread about comparing Hex vs. Grimms.

As for my snide remarks? That is your opinion on what I consider ridiculous assumptions made up by some contributors. You are entitled to claim my replies are snide? For me, they are my snide replies to their insulting posts.

When I am confronted with a diverse opinion challenging my view, I revert to scripts of scenes to back up my argument instead of blaming the writers for screwing up the proof I need to support my interpretation. If the creative team chose not to be too specific on certain situations. It is their show, their concepts. They reserve the right to write what they chose.

I choose to utilize what is presented on the screen, not what it should have been if I was doing the writing. Then, if someone disguises an opinion based on made up or wishful thinking, I will be pointing it out as being false. If that is being snide? It is the price to pay for sitting on the grown up table.

(02-11-2018, 10:08 AM)eric Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 09:11 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 09:08 AM)eric Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 08:30 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 06:37 PM)eric Wrote: You may see Nick as cookie cutter. Tell me, what other cookies like him have you seen with his powers surrounded by these opponents on TV or the movies? This is a fantasy and a rare one at that. His profession could have been cop, homeless vagrant, collector of rare books, librarian. Those are just the ones we saw in this show, without doubt there are more. Cop probably worked best for this show.

When I say Nick is a cookie cutter character, I was talking about his character in the series, not in comparison to movies or other television series. Think about it. If he wasn't, wouldn't he be versatile enough to handle any profession? Yet he is not. Neither is Trubel or either of the Kellys. They're the not so smart brutes who's only real power is being able to see a wesen woge and to wipe out any wesen they deem is offensive. That's it. That makes them suitable as a police force, soldiers, or mercenaries.

We were told Marie was a librarian. Maybe she could pull it off, I don't know, I'd have to see that one. However, none of the others could, you know that. Even you yourself indicated Nick's profession would have to do with crime.
Really, its that the best you can come up with? Nick was a cop, Marie a librarian, Porter's job is unknown, the guy who had the books in storage-not sure what his profession was, but his house was impressive, I doubt he was a cop. Young Kelly is about 20 years old, probably still in college, could be in construction, working for Uncle Bud, who knows. Truble apparently had a limited job history, caused by lack of education and moving around a lot. Grimms have varied job histories, depends on the person's education and interests.

Tell me how many grimms Nick ran across that were foremen in a warehouse or businessmen, CEO's or mechanics. How many did Nick run across that opted for non violence toward wesen? I can tell you how many. Zero.
Porter. We don't know what he did, but he wasn't a cop, that would have come up when they met. The only other grimm Nick met was a homeless transient-Truble. The grimm who owned the books had a great house--what kind of pension do cops in Austria get? Not that much. One of the stories was signed by R. Kipland, a writer. My comment did not say young Kelly would avoid violence, just that he could be whatever he wanted.

Well eric, I guess to some, all those Grimms listed in the big book with the big "G" on the cover must have been all cops, even when cops weren't conceived yet. I guess you can stretch "Templar Crusading Grimms" as cops.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - irukandji - 02-12-2018

(02-11-2018, 10:08 AM)eric Wrote: Porter. We don't know what he did, but he wasn't a cop, that would have come up when they met. The only other grimm Nick met was a homeless transient-Truble. The grimm who owned the books had a great house--what kind of pension do cops in Austria get? Not that much. One of the stories was signed by R. Kipland, a writer. My comment did not say young Kelly would avoid violence, just that he could be whatever he wanted.

But that's not what I'm saying. The series cubby-holed Nick and the other grimms into what amounts to mercenaries. You might hear about one or two doing something different, but it's very rare and the series doesn't give much in the way of information. Eveyone makes a big deal about Nick's and Nebojsa's grimm diaries. When you look at both, however, they could have been written by the same person. All they are are escapades of documenting various wesen and how they are killed.

You talk about Kipling.....even he was caught up in the killing.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - jsgrimm45 - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 05:10 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 10:08 AM)eric Wrote: Porter. We don't know what he did, but he wasn't a cop, that would have come up when they met. The only other grimm Nick met was a homeless transient-Truble. The grimm who owned the books had a great house--what kind of pension do cops in Austria get? Not that much. One of the stories was signed by R. Kipland, a writer. My comment did not say young Kelly would avoid violence, just that he could be whatever he wanted.

But that's not what I'm saying. The series cubby-holed Nick and the other grimms into what amounts to mercenaries. You might hear about one or two doing something different, but it's very rare and the series doesn't give much in the way of information. Eveyone makes a big deal about Nick's and Nebojsa's grimm diaries. When you look at both, however, they could have been written by the same person. All they are are escapades of documenting various wesen and how they are killed.

Maybe we are overlooking something just because Nebojsa's diaries we all have assumed that he wrote them, but he had four keys so some of these keys had to given to him. So could the diaries also came to him not written by him?

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - eric - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 05:10 AM)irukandji Wrote:

I am not sure what definition of "mercenary" you are using. My definition is a for hire subcontractor who as soon as the money stops they stop. Nick did not get paid to hunt down the bad and protect the good. As far was we know neither did Marie or Kipling. Porter said he couldn't do what Nick did, presumably because he could not deal with the pressure of being around critters who might eat him. He did not say he didn't want to be a Grimm any more because the pay wasn't good enough, he made more growing orchids.Big Grin As far as the books looking like they are written by the same person and being escapades, I see them as educational guides on how to deal with dangerous situations. As Monroe said, there wasn't anything about the rat people because they didn't pose a risk to anyone. In most of the jobs and hobbies I have had, the manuals seem to be written by "the same person", the writers are trying to give information without talking about how beautiful the sunset was or how the bad the food was at the flea infested inn they stayed in before they had to deal with with the ogre who was killing the local good wessen and humans. Nick is shown making an entry, trying to keep his description correct, using as clear writing as he can. Some grimm's life in the future might hinge on what he is writing.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Hell Rell - 02-12-2018

The books have to get to the point quickly. The authors will just make the lives of future Grimms harder if they can't find a solution in a limited amount of time. More people can die if Nick or any other Grimm is cooped up in a trailer searching for an answer for several hours.

Ultimately, the books present several problems and how to solve them. Other than that, they chronicle the experiences of former Grimms and the core personalities of various wesen. It may not be perfect but it's the best they've got. The existence of those books have saved countless lives.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-12-2018

(02-12-2018, 06:58 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Maybe we are overlooking something just because Nebojsa's diaries we all have assumed that he wrote them, but he had four keys so some of these keys had to given to him. So could the diaries also came to him not written by him?

My presumption was that Nebojsa was the current maintainer of the family tree book and the rest of the stuff in his trunk was like Aunt Marie's trailer, things handed down through generations of his family. Especially since Monroe's uncle identified one of the books as dating back to the 1300s.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - irukandji - 02-13-2018

(02-12-2018, 07:20 AM)eric Wrote: Nick did not get paid to hunt down the bad and protect the good.

I would tend to disagree but you tell me. When Nick felt he had no choice but to use his grimm powers to stop a wesen, did he mentally separate that time from his normal police duties? Then did he later go to Renard and tell Renard not to pay for that time because he was acting as a grimm and not a cop?

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-13-2018

The question should not be how Nick divided his time, but rather, how did Nick's pay compare with other officers of similar rank who put in similar hours. It could be credibly argued that Nick's use of his grimm abilities enabled him to enhance his position by building a better case success record than other officers who lacked those abilities, but since pay scales in the PPB are based on rank and seniority, the only way that would translate into real money would be if Nick got a promotion, and we never heard anything about him getting one in six seasons of the series.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - eric - 02-13-2018

(02-13-2018, 05:23 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(02-12-2018, 07:20 AM)eric Wrote: Nick did not get paid to hunt down the bad and protect the good.

I would tend to disagree but you tell me. When Nick felt he had no choice but to use his grimm powers to stop a wesen, did he mentally separate that time from his normal police duties? Then did he later go to Renard and tell Renard not to pay for that time because he was acting as a grimm and not a cop?
Nick was called to the crime scene as part of his cop job. He did not get to select which crimes he would be assigned. That was his normal police work. Since the show was about Grimm solving wessen crimes, the nonwessen cases were not shown. He got paid for solving murders, he got paid for both kinds

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - wfmyers1207 - 02-14-2018

(02-06-2018, 11:34 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: We have some on the forum who think Nick should have left the force after becoming a Grimm.

Now remember we are talking a TV series so lets look a why they the made Nick a police officer and ask if the series would have worked as well if he wasn't.

With these as a guild 1. Wessen when woged DNA has changed, 2. Wessen when woged have no fingerprints. Taking out the labs for a wesen kill or crime.

So how would a non police officer get access to the info and than the Grimm Nick found the bad guy?

Wessen we know can and often do kill as wesen but you need a Grimm to know it was wessen.

We aren't debating the Police code in this only ways to split the two.

Now taking into account that we are discussing a fantasy TV show, I say no. If he went vigilante he would have no backup, no access to ME and CSI services, and his former colleagues would be hunting his a$$.

That whole lone wolf, renegade thing may sound good on paper, but it doesn't work well in real life.