Grimm Forum
Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop (/Thread-Could-the-series-have-work-without-Nick-being-a-cop)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - irukandji - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 03:51 PM)eric Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 03:02 PM)irukandji Wrote: Does the premise of the show really have to be about wesen crime though?
No, but if you elimate too much of the show,its no longer Grimm, its some sort of watered down crime show that lasts half a season. Grimm was based on an original premise that lasted 5 1/2.

But here's the other side of the coin. Nick is a cookie cutter character. The only thing grimms can do is either law enforcement or work the other side of the fence as mercenaries.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - eric - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 06:21 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 03:51 PM)eric Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 03:02 PM)irukandji Wrote: Does the premise of the show really have to be about wesen crime though?
No, but if you elimate too much of the show,its no longer Grimm, its some sort of watered down crime show that lasts half a season. Grimm was based on an original premise that lasted 5 1/2.

But here's the other side of the coin. Nick is a cookie cutter character. The only thing grimms can do is either law enforcement or work the other side of the fence as mercenaries.
You may see Nick as cookie cutter. Tell me, what other cookies like him have you seen with his powers surrounded by these opponents on TV or the movies? This is a fantasy and a rare one at that. His profession could have been cop, homeless vagrant, collector of rare books, librarian. Those are just the ones we saw in this show, without doubt there are more. Cop probably worked best for this show.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - irukandji - 02-11-2018

Quote:Such as, viewers claiming that Nick was being paid as a Grimm, Juliette was not responsible for creating the situation of Kelly getting killed, Who abandoned who, between Nick and Juliette. Did Grimms get a choice to not be a Grimm. Was a Hexenbiest magic, spirit, a possession, a Telekinesis Master, a genie, a superhero, alien. Feel free to add a few more concoctions for the scarcely confused.

How about the adolescent grimm accessories thread? There's a mind numbing subject for you.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Robyn - 02-11-2018

Quote:I think we already saw the template for what Nick's ife would have been like had he not been in a profession that trained him for potentially deadly encounters and put him in harm's way, and that's Trubel's life before she met Nick and the scoobies.
The trouble with the Trubel analogy *grin* is that she did survive being attacked by Wesen from a very early age. Grimm instinct and skill must have kicked in despite her lack of knowledge/understanding. Plus, just the number of Wesen cases suggested Portland was a hotbed for Wesen crime. So Nick and Hank must have encountered dangerous Wesen before he became a Grimm.

But Trubel’s dicey encounters as an uninformed, untrained Grimm brings into question Marie keeping Nick in the dark. Even without the cancer, she could have died before telling Nick of his Grimm heritage, and as it was, he would have been on his own to figure things out had Monroe not been intrigued by a novice Grimm.

Quote:Unless they had Nick raised as a grimm since childhood by grimm parents who trained him to "take over the family business," we would've had to endure an increasingly absurd series of contrivances for how weird things kept happening to Nick and how he managed to stay out of jail or a padded cell.
I would have preferred Nick already doing the Grimm thing at the on start. We could have skipped those pitiful relationship woes had Marie properly trained and educated Nick before the pilot episode.

Quote:I expect that the network found G&K's original concept "too talky,"…
Interesting theory FitC. I never considered that G & K put action over substance at the behest of the network, just assumed they always intended WoW episodes packed with drama-driven action. Actually, because the network suggested the additional recurring characters who weren’t necessary for the WoW, I always assumed the network execs. were looking to make the show as much about the characters’ experiences as the Nick vs. Wesen action scenes.

(02-10-2018, 02:41 PM)dicappatore Wrote: I totally agree with the show being simplistic. Please, re-read my post again. I said that the show was NOT complicated. The complication of the show, I was referring to , with Nick as a cop, was directed to some viewers, based on the ridiculous assumptions some have made on these various threads on this Forum.

Then, I added, with the additional complications, with Nick as a NON-COP, wold be reflected as more confusing to those same few viewers already confused. Again, The confusion I was referring to was not directed to most viewers but only to a select few.

Such as, viewers claiming that Nick was being paid as a Grimm, Juliette was not responsible for creating the situation of Kelly getting killed, Who abandoned who, between Nick and Juliette. Did Grimms get a choice to not be a Grimm. Was a Hexenbiest magic, spirit, a possession, a Telekinesis Master, a genie, a superhero, alien. Feel free to add a few more concoctions for the scarcely confused.

To most of us, Yep, it was kind of simplistic.
That, right there, is what I was referring to. Unnecessary snide remarks about conflicting opinions rather than discussing the thread topic. Grimm would have been uncomplicated regardless of Nick’s chosen profession. The show delved very little into the how and why, and mostly focused on the specific drama driving the episode’s action.

I might disagree with some of the opinions and theories posted on the forum, but I can still understand that the show's utilization of ambiguity allowed for a gamut of interpretation.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - irukandji - 02-11-2018

(02-10-2018, 06:37 PM)eric Wrote: You may see Nick as cookie cutter. Tell me, what other cookies like him have you seen with his powers surrounded by these opponents on TV or the movies? This is a fantasy and a rare one at that. His profession could have been cop, homeless vagrant, collector of rare books, librarian. Those are just the ones we saw in this show, without doubt there are more. Cop probably worked best for this show.

When I say Nick is a cookie cutter character, I was talking about his character in the series, not in comparison to movies or other television series. Think about it. If he wasn't, wouldn't he be versatile enough to handle any profession? Yet he is not. Neither is Trubel or either of the Kellys. They're the not so smart brutes who's only real power is being able to see a wesen woge and to wipe out any wesen they deem is offensive. That's it. That makes them suitable as a police force, soldiers, or mercenaries.

We were told Marie was a librarian. Maybe she could pull it off, I don't know, I'd have to see that one. However, none of the others could, you know that. Even you yourself indicated Nick's profession would have to do with crime.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - eric - 02-11-2018

(02-11-2018, 08:30 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 06:37 PM)eric Wrote: You may see Nick as cookie cutter. Tell me, what other cookies like him have you seen with his powers surrounded by these opponents on TV or the movies? This is a fantasy and a rare one at that. His profession could have been cop, homeless vagrant, collector of rare books, librarian. Those are just the ones we saw in this show, without doubt there are more. Cop probably worked best for this show.

When I say Nick is a cookie cutter character, I was talking about his character in the series, not in comparison to movies or other television series. Think about it. If he wasn't, wouldn't he be versatile enough to handle any profession? Yet he is not. Neither is Trubel or either of the Kellys. They're the not so smart brutes who's only real power is being able to see a wesen woge and to wipe out any wesen they deem is offensive. That's it. That makes them suitable as a police force, soldiers, or mercenaries.

We were told Marie was a librarian. Maybe she could pull it off, I don't know, I'd have to see that one. However, none of the others could, you know that. Even you yourself indicated Nick's profession would have to do with crime.
Really, its that the best you can come up with? Nick was a cop, Marie a librarian, Porter's job is unknown, the guy who had the books in storage-not sure what his profession was, but his house was impressive, I doubt he was a cop. Young Kelly is about 20 years old, probably still in college, could be in construction, working for Uncle Bud, who knows. Truble apparently had a limited job history, caused by lack of education and moving around a lot. Grimms have varied job histories, depends on the person's education and interests.

(02-11-2018, 09:08 AM)eric Wrote:

Really, its that the best you can come up with? Nick was a cop, Marie a librarian, Porter's job is unknown, the guy who had the books in storage-not sure what his profession was, but his house was impressive, I doubt he was a cop. Young Kelly is about 20 years old, probably still in college, could be in construction, working for Uncle Bud, who knows. Truble apparently had a limited job history, caused by lack of education and moving around a lot. Grimms have varied job histories, depends on the person's education and interests.

Tell me how many grimms Nick ran across that were foremen in a warehouse or businessmen, CEO's or mechanics. How many did Nick run across that opted for non violence toward wesen? I can tell you how many. Zero.

(02-11-2018, 09:11 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 09:08 AM)eric Wrote:

Tell me how many grimms Nick ran across that were foremen in a warehouse or businessmen, CEO's or mechanics. How many did Nick run across that opted for non violence toward wesen? I can tell you how many. Zero.
Porter. We don't know what he did, but he wasn't a cop, that would have come up when they met. The only other grimm Nick met was a homeless transient-Truble. The grimm who owned the books had a great house--what kind of pension do cops in Austria get? Not that much. One of the stories was signed by R. Kipland, a writer. My comment did not say young Kelly would avoid violence, just that he could be whatever he wanted.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - New Guy - 02-11-2018

(02-11-2018, 10:08 AM)eric Wrote: Porter. We don't know what he did, but he wasn't a cop, that would have come up when they met. The only other grimm Nick met was a homeless transient-Truble. The grimm who owned the books had a great house--what kind of pension do cops in Austria get? Not that much. One of the stories was signed by R. Kipland, a writer. My comment did not say young Kelly would avoid violence, just that he could be whatever he wanted.
Hi Eric,
Thanks for bringing up 4.6, "Highway of Tears" and the Grimm Diary entry by Rudyard Kipling:
http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Phansigar
Quote:Scene: Nick and Hank go to the trailer to do some research.

Nick: [Reading a Grimm diary entry] "June third, 1893. Calcutta. After six weeks in the foul bustee, I encountered my first. It attacked. Fortunately, I had my dagger and was able to slit its throat before it was able to tighten its tongue around mine."
Hank: [Looking at the drawings] That's one hell of a tongue.
Nick: "Upon close examination, I have concluded that the Phansigar is a particular type of Skalengeck, not dissimilar to the visage of the Komodo dragon."
Hank: That's what it's called? Phansigar?
Nick: Yeah. There's more. "Here in India, the Phansigars hide among the Thuggees, the dreaded Hindu cult of thieves that strangle travelers as a sacrifice to Kali. But I have discovered that the Phansigars have their own brand of human sacrifice. Using their filthy tongues, they choke their victims into silence. These unfortunate souls... always a young couple... are then buried alive. This evil practice must be performed every three years to placate Kali." Guess who signed this one.
Hank: Who?
Nick: Rudyard Kipling.
Hank: Rudyard Kipling. Jungle Book Rudyard Kipling? He was a Grimm?
Nick: Apparently his sword was as mighty as his pen.
I wonder if Mr. Kipling would be pleased to be cast as a Grimm?
N G

(02-11-2018, 12:29 PM)New Guy Wrote:
(02-11-2018, 10:08 AM)eric Wrote: Porter. We don't know what he did, but he wasn't a cop, that would have come up when they met. The only other grimm Nick met was a homeless transient-Truble. The grimm who owned the books had a great house--what kind of pension do cops in Austria get? Not that much. One of the stories was signed by R. Kipland, a writer. My comment did not say young Kelly would avoid violence, just that he could be whatever he wanted.
Hi Eric,
Thanks for bringing up 4.6, "Highway of Tears" and the Grimm Diary entry by Rudyard Kipling:
http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Phansigar
Quote:Scene: Nick and Hank go to the trailer to do some research.

Nick: [Reading a Grimm diary entry] "June third, 1893. Calcutta. After six weeks in the foul bustee, I encountered my first. It attacked. Fortunately, I had my dagger and was able to slit its throat before it was able to tighten its tongue around mine."
Hank: [Looking at the drawings] That's one hell of a tongue.
Nick: "Upon close examination, I have concluded that the Phansigar is a particular type of Skalengeck, not dissimilar to the visage of the Komodo dragon."
Hank: That's what it's called? Phansigar?
Nick: Yeah. There's more. "Here in India, the Phansigars hide among the Thuggees, the dreaded Hindu cult of thieves that strangle travelers as a sacrifice to Kali. But I have discovered that the Phansigars have their own brand of human sacrifice. Using their filthy tongues, they choke their victims into silence. These unfortunate souls... always a young couple... are then buried alive. This evil practice must be performed every three years to placate Kali." Guess who signed this one.
Hank: Who?
Nick: Rudyard Kipling.
Hank: Rudyard Kipling. Jungle Book Rudyard Kipling? He was a Grimm?
Nick: Apparently his sword was as mighty as his pen.
I wonder if Mr. Kipling would be pleased to be cast as a Grimm?
N G
Probably, one of his books was about a human child raised by an assortment of animals who could speak to him. Being a hero who can see and kill dangerous creatures attacking innocent humans would probably appeal to him.