Grimm Forum
Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop (/Thread-Could-the-series-have-work-without-Nick-being-a-cop)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Robyn - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 09:26 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Good points as with any thread I post sometimes I like to take this post and add a twist for the thread.

This twist being Monroe and Rosalee two wesen that help in the training of a Grimm. If they had made Nick a PI would had have changed the role of Monroe and Rosalee? With these two characters we get the Wesen Council also so does this change?

Nick being a police officer did in some ways give them cover also or did it?
For this discussion it would be interesting to know which characters G & K would have made part of the show had they stayed with their original vision for Grimm. Another statement made in an interview was that they had not planned on such a large cast of recurring characters, and that it sometimes made writing the episodes difficult. As with Adalind, Rosalee as a recurring character was the network’s idea. So there probably wouldn’t have been a Monroe and Rosalee helping Nick had G & K presented their original concept of the show. I don’t see the existence of The Wesen Council dependent on Rosalee or Monroe. Rosalee knew some of Council members, but it existed long before she came to Portland because of her brother’s death, and theoretically, it would have continued as part of the story background had she never come to Portland.

I think Nick was more exposed as a cop, at least sooner than he might have been otherwise. I can’ remember - did the Royals already know about Marie coming to Portland and who she met with, or did Renard provide them that information? The Royals didn’t have any idea that Kelly Burkhardt was alive and well until the third season.

(02-10-2018, 09:41 AM)dicappatore Wrote: If Nick wasn't a cop/detective it would have just complicated the WOW episodes and probably the opposite, on the personal arc. But given how a few viewer's miss-interpretations of what occurred as him being a cop. I hate to see how much more, the level of miss-interpretations, would be for some, if the show was presented with more complications, to those same viewers.
You’re focusing on personal opinions that differ from yours rather than the show itself. Grimm wasn’t complicated - at all. The WoW episodes followed a basic formula - one or more scary looking/behaving Wesen that Nick figured out how to kill or subdue with the help of Monroe, Rosalee, Hank, and Wu, and sometimes Renard. Being a cop made Grimm duties simpler for Nick, as he only needed to work his next assigned case rather than keep an ear to the ground and eyes peeled for danger.

But what made life and work simpler for Nick also made him a simple character who was basically a cop with a special skill set for handling the unusually difficult criminal element. Kelly Burkhardt and Marie Kessler lived, fought, and died as Grimm. Who and what they were was never in question.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-10-2018

I think we already saw the template for what Nick's ife would have been like had he not been in a profession that trained him for potentially deadly encounters and put him in harm's way, and that's Trubel's life before she met Nick and the scoobies. Random wesen he encountered would see him seeing their invisible woge and eventually one would attack. If it happened before Aunt Marie showed up with the trailer and his family history, he might have told authorities who responded to the attack what he'd seen and ended up in a psych ward. Or, lacking police training and weaponry, he might just have gotten killed that first night when Aunt Marie was unable to take down the first wesen who attacked them. Unless they had Nick raised as a grimm since childhood by grimm parents who trained him to "take over the family business," we would've had to endure an increasingly absurd series of contrivances for how weird things kept happening to Nick and how he managed to stay out of jail or a padded cell.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - eric - 02-10-2018

Maybe he could be a reporter for the local paper or TV station. That would make it reasonable for him to be asking the cops questions about a crime. Not sure about the hours a TV reporter keeps, or how flexible his schedule could be, maybe Renard could be his boss and give him more leeway investigating breaking news.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - FaceInTheCrowd - 02-10-2018

If Nick had been a reporter, he could have stumbled across wesen and a govt plot to cover up their existence and the series could have told the story of how he keeps getting in harms way trying to dig into it. Juliette could've been his skeptical but gradually believing GF. Might have satisfied some viewers' desire for an X Files fix. Smile

Still doesn't explain how he manages to not get killed in the first couple of episodes, though, since reporters aren't typically armed like cops or FBI agents.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Hell Rell - 02-10-2018

I figured the network wanted him to be a cop to have easy access to criminals/wesen. It's probably similar to why Dexter was a blood spatter analyst. They work in the department and are going to encounter dangerous foes and gruesome crime scenes daily without having to seek them out. They would only have to notice something that their coworkers didn't and work on the case from that angle.

I expect that the network found G&K's original concept "too talky," that is, requiring too much explanation for how and why the main character gets involved in - and survives - so many violent wesen incidents while staying below the radar of law enforcement. Having Nick be a cop who's actually being assigned to the cases and has a reason to be armed and trained probably saved an entire act's worth of dialog every script.

Had Nick not been a cop, he would have had to have a cop friend who was feeding him intel and helping to cover, or at least not reporting, all of his exploits. Maybe Commissioner Renard could have had a red phone to the Grimmcave and a big Grimm Signal spotlight on the roof of police HQ.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - dicappatore - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 11:35 AM)Robyn Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 09:41 AM)dicappatore Wrote: If Nick wasn't a cop/detective it would have just complicated the WOW episodes and probably the opposite, on the personal arc. But given how a few viewer's miss-interpretations of what occurred as him being a cop. I hate to see how much more, the level of miss-interpretations, would be for some, if the show was presented with more complications, to those same viewers.
You’re focusing on personal opinions that differ from yours rather than the show itself. Grimm wasn’t complicated - at all. The WoW episodes followed a basic formula - one or more scary looking/behaving Wesen that Nick figured out how to kill or subdue with the help of Monroe, Rosalee, Hank, and Wu, and sometimes Renard. Being a cop made Grimm duties simpler for Nick, as he only needed to work his next assigned case rather than keep an ear to the ground and eyes peeled for danger.

But what made life and work simpler for Nick also made him a simple character who was basically a cop with a special skill set for handling the unusually difficult criminal element. Kelly Burkhardt and Marie Kessler lived, fought, and died as Grimm. Who and what they were was never in question.

I totally agree with the show being simplistic. Please, re-read my post again. I said that the show was NOT complicated. The complication of the show, I was referring to , with Nick as a cop, was directed to some viewers, based on the ridiculous assumptions some have made on these various threads on this Forum.

Then, I added, with the additional complications, with Nick as a NON-COP, wold be reflected as more confusing to those same few viewers already confused. Again, The confusion I was referring to was not directed to most viewers but only to a select few.

Such as, viewers claiming that Nick was being paid as a Grimm, Juliette was not responsible for creating the situation of Kelly getting killed, Who abandoned who, between Nick and Juliette. Did Grimms get a choice to not be a Grimm. Was a Hexenbiest magic, spirit, a possession, a Telekinesis Master, a genie, a superhero, alien. Feel free to add a few more concoctions for the scarcely confused.

To most of us, Yep, it was kind of simplistic.

(02-10-2018, 12:09 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: I think we already saw the template for what Nick's ife would have been like had he not been in a profession that trained him for potentially deadly encounters and put him in harm's way, and that's Trubel's life before she met Nick and the scoobies. Random wesen he encountered would see him seeing their invisible woge and eventually one would attack. If it happened before Aunt Marie showed up with the trailer and his family history, he might have told authorities who responded to the attack what he'd seen and ended up in a psych ward. Or, lacking police training and weaponry, he might just have gotten killed that first night when Aunt Marie was unable to take down the first wesen who attacked them. Unless they had Nick raised as a grimm since childhood by grimm parents who trained him to "take over the family business," we would've had to endure an increasingly absurd series of contrivances for how weird things kept happening to Nick and how he managed to stay out of jail or a padded cell.

Please, don't use the term "Family Business". Some will be jumping out of their panties claiming Nick was getting paid for being a Grimm.

(02-10-2018, 02:03 PM)Hell Rell Wrote: I figured the network wanted him to he a cop to have easy access to criminals/wesen. It's probably similar to why Dexter was a blood spatter analyst. They work in the department and are going to encounter dangerous foes and gruesome crime scenes daily without having to seek them out. They would only have to notice something that their coworkers didn't and work on the case from that angle.

Lets add Gotham, Person of Interest and even Arrow, eventually, had a police connection through Detective/Captain Lance.

(02-10-2018, 02:25 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: I expect that the network found G&K's original concept "too talky," that is, requiring too much explanation for how and why the main character gets involved in - and survives - so many violent wesen incidents while staying below the radar of law enforcement. Having Nick be a cop who's actually being assigned to the cases and has a reason to be armed and trained probably saved an entire act's worth of dialog every script.

Had Nick not been a cop, he would have had to have a cop friend who was feeding him intel and helping to cover, or at least not reporting, all of his exploits. Maybe Commissioner Renard could have had a red phone to the Grimmcave and a big Grimm Signal spotlight on the roof of police HQ.

Hey, the Batman concept was my idea.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - irukandji - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 12:32 PM)eric Wrote: Maybe he could be a reporter for the local paper or TV station. That would make it reasonable for him to be asking the cops questions about a crime. Not sure about the hours a TV reporter keeps, or how flexible his schedule could be, maybe Renard could be his boss and give him more leeway investigating breaking news.

Does the premise of the show really have to be about wesen crime though?

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - eric - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 03:02 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 12:32 PM)eric Wrote: Maybe he could be a reporter for the local paper or TV station. That would make it reasonable for him to be asking the cops questions about a crime. Not sure about the hours a TV reporter keeps, or how flexible his schedule could be, maybe Renard could be his boss and give him more leeway investigating breaking news.

Does the premise of the show really have to be about wesen crime though?
No, but if you elimate too much of the show,its no longer Grimm, its some sort of watered down crime show that lasts half a season. Grimm was based on an original premise that lasted 5 1/2.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Hell Rell - 02-10-2018

Just think about how many heroes on TV have some connection to law enforcement. It may not be necessary but it's still a popular thing to do.

Batman and Arrow have already been mentioned but there's also The Flash, who's a CSI, and even Supergirl, who works with the DEO. Those characters are literally one man/woman armies who would have very little problems detecting crime and they still felt the need to have them work with government employees. It just makes things easier.