Grimm Forum
Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop (/Thread-Could-the-series-have-work-without-Nick-being-a-cop)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - irukandji - 02-09-2018

Hi Adriano-
It's so good to see your posts on the forum once again!

Quote:I think the point here is not about the show inside it (if a police station needs a grimm). I think the point is out the show: if the grimm wasn't a police officer, how this would affect the plot of the show?

Were you thinking that the grimm would be part of the police force or not affiliated with the police at all?

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - brandon - 02-10-2018

It seems to me that they started dealing with it before there were cops

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Adriano Neres Rodrigues - 02-10-2018

(02-09-2018, 06:32 PM)irukandji Wrote: Hi Adriano-

Quote:I think the point here is not about the show inside it (if a police station needs a grimm). I think the point is out the show: if the grimm wasn't a police officer, how this would affect the plot of the show?

Were you thinking that the grimm would be part of the police force or not affiliated with the police at all?

If the grimm is not affliliated with the police at all, how do you see the show plot would be?

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - dicappatore - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 07:02 AM)brandon Wrote: It seems to me that they started dealing with it before there were cops

brandon, you are 100% correct. Just one more fact some seem to overlook. Grimms existed centuries before modern day police forces were even conceived.

The show's name was "Grimm", not "A Cop with Grimm Results" or "Strange Cop". Nick could have been a regular patrol cop, a PI, a butcher or even flipping burgers at Micky D's. The writers would just change how he got to meet the next Wesen on the next WOW episode.

The show was not about a Homicide Detective that was a Grimm. The show was about a Grimm that made a living as a Homicide Detective and got paid for being a great Homicide Detective with lots of convictions. Not a Grimm making a living by getting paid to kill Wesen while posing to be a Detective, like some other contributors are trying to claim on other threads.

That is why, the Pilot Episode or S1, E1, introduced us to a Detective finding out he became a Grimm.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - Robyn - 02-10-2018

Interesting discussion, js. G & K said in an interview that Nick wasn’t a detective in their original plan for the show. The network requested he be a cop, but G & K didn’t say why. I assumed the network wanted the central character immediately relatable to viewers while his Grimm persona was being established. If so, the law enforcement position wasn’t needed as it unnecessarily suggested the show was just another police-crime drama featuring a hero-with-a-twist central character in a string of unconnected episode topics.

G & K relied too heavily on Nick’s employment with the PPD providing him access to dangerous Wesen activity, which gives some weight to irukandji’s argument that the show created a corrupt law enforcement environment. Because the central character became a Grimm and began learning of his heritage in the pilot, he also began circumventing his partner, the law, and his girlfriend/would-be fiancé in the first episode. Which clouded rather than answered the question - is Nick a Grimm who was a detective on the side or a detective who was a Grimm on the side.

If a Grimm is who/what Nick is on the show, he didn’t need to be anything else. Inheriting the family curse/burden, whichever Marie called it, is his personal drama and obligation. Kelly and Marie didn’t maintain employment to provide them open access to Wesen activity. Those characters honed their innate predator skills to survive and to track and kill their targets.

I don’t see why Nick needed to be a detective, private eye, or unassuming tax accountant, except when a specific hunt required blending into the background. For that matter, I don’t see why he needed to be settled down in a specific city with an established romantic relationship in the pilot episode.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - jsgrimm45 - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 08:40 AM)Robyn Wrote: Interesting discussion, js. G & K said in an interview that Nick wasn’t a detective in their original plan for the show. The network requested he be a cop, but G & K didn’t say why. I assumed the network wanted the central character immediately relatable to viewers while his Grimm persona was being established. If so, the law enforcement position wasn’t needed as it unnecessarily suggested the show was just another police-crime drama featuring a hero-with-a-twist central character in a string of unconnected episode topics.

G & K relied too heavily on Nick’s employment with the PPD providing him access to dangerous Wesen activity, which gives some weight to irukandji’s argument that the show created a corrupt law enforcement environment. Because the central character became a Grimm and began learning of his heritage in the pilot, he also began circumventing his partner, the law, and his girlfriend/would-be fiancé in the first episode. Which clouded rather than answered the question - is Nick a Grimm who was a detective on the side or a detective who was a Grimm on the side.

If a Grimm is who/what Nick is on the show, he didn’t need to be anything else. Inheriting the family curse/burden, whichever Marie called it, is his personal drama and obligation. Kelly and Marie didn’t maintain employment to provide them open access to Wesen activity. Those characters honed their innate predator skills to survive and to track and kill their targets.

I don’t see why Nick needed to be a detective, private eye, or unassuming tax accountant, except when a specific hunt required blending into the background. For that matter, I don’t see why he needed to be settled down in a specific city with an established romantic relationship in the pilot episode.
Good points as with any thread I post sometimes I like to take this post and add a twist for the thread.

This twist being Monroe and Rosalee two wesen that help in the training of a Grimm. If they had made Nick a PI would had have changed the role of Monroe and Rosalee? With these two characters we get the Wesen Council also so does this change?

Nick being a police officer did in some ways give them cover also or did it?

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - dicappatore - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 09:26 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote:
(02-10-2018, 08:40 AM)Robyn Wrote: Interesting discussion, js. G & K said in an interview that Nick wasn’t a detective in their original plan for the show. The network requested he be a cop, but G & K didn’t say why. I assumed the network wanted the central character immediately relatable to viewers while his Grimm persona was being established. If so, the law enforcement position wasn’t needed as it unnecessarily suggested the show was just another police-crime drama featuring a hero-with-a-twist central character in a string of unconnected episode topics.

Good points as with any thread I post sometimes I like to take this post and add a twist for the thread.

This twist being Monroe and Rosalee two wesen that help in the training of a Grimm. If they had made Nick a PI would had have changed the role of Monroe and Rosalee? With these two characters we get the Wesen Council also so does this change?

Nick being a police officer did in some ways give them cover also or did it?

If Nick wasn't a cop/detective it would have just complicated the WOW episodes and probably the opposite, on the personal arc. But given how a few viewer's miss-interpretations of what occurred as him being a cop. I hate to see how much more, the level of miss-interpretations, would be for some, if the show was presented with more complications, to those same viewers.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - eric - 02-10-2018

If Nick had not been a homicide detective, if he had been a PI/regular patrol officer/clerk at the local drug store, how would he have gotten information about the crimes? A lot were just "animal attacks. If you ask a detective about a case he is working, a nice one will say "no comment", a grumpy one will say "f off" and probably alert the other detectives about you. I can see working cold cases, where the material is not still being investigated, but not fresh ones. Working with Monroe and Rosalee could have happened, more wessen would have to been killed since most citizens do not make arrests after arrests==cops would start to be suspicious why Nick was finding all these clues.

(02-10-2018, 10:20 AM)eric Wrote: If Nick had not been a homicide detective, if he had been a PI/regular patrol officer/clerk at the local drug store, how would he have gotten information about the crimes? A lot were just "animal attacks. If you ask a detective about a case he is working, a nice one will say "no comment", a grumpy one will say "f off" and probably alert the other detectives about you. I can see working cold cases, where the material is not still being investigated, but not fresh ones. Working with Monroe and Rosalee could have happened, more wessen would have to been killed since most citizens do not make arrests after arrests==cops would start to be suspicious why Nick was finding all these clues.

But, you are insinuating, the Nick character would have approached the same episodes as he would as a cop, when, lets say, he was flipping burgers at Micky D's. I am sure the whole re-write would be reflected completely differently in every episodes on how he was exposed to the WOW Wesen.

How can you expect Nick to have a different profession, yet insert him in the same situational episodes as if he was a detective. Obviously, the re-write would include a lot more than just a job change. Most likely, we would have had completely different episode approach, yet still related to the Grimm Brothers books.

You could sill have the Rat King, Deadly Frog, Black Widow Spider, Cinderella etc... themed episodes. Obviously, his exposure to that Wesen would not follow the "Detective" approach but a different way he got involved or completely episode re-writes.

RE: Could the series have work without Nick being a cop - irukandji - 02-10-2018

(02-10-2018, 07:38 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote:
(02-09-2018, 06:32 PM)irukandji Wrote: Hi Adriano-

If the grimm is not affliliated with the police at all, how do you see the show plot would be?

There certainly would be no need for the Portland PD backdrop, that's for certain. Maybe that wouldn't have been such a bad thing. It's easy for Nick as a detective to be invested in being a grimm. It's really a no brainer. He's a loner, 30 years old, really an arrested adolescent the way he acts. What could be better for him? There's an avenue for dealing with criminal wesen as well as all kinds of odd characters.

But say he worked as an electrician? He's dealing with a force that is well beyond his control and he has to be careful with it, not the other way around. He would no doubt encounter wesen, but his encounters with wesen would be very different than that of a cop because he is different. They are different. He'd probably make a lot more friends than just Monroe and Rosalee along the way as well.