Grimm Forum
Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? (/Thread-Why-didn-t-Nick-let-Juliette-go)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - irukandji - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 08:52 AM)eric Wrote: There are dangers associated with a public proposal-in a restaurant, on the screen at the ball park, at a party with friends. She might say no, tell you she is dumping you for the new love of her life, accuse you of keeping secrets, etc. If everyone hears the last one, imagine the pressure to confess and being sent to a padded cell. In real life I am sure many guys try to make it romantic, once you do propose your beloved goes from 0 to 100 in planning, calling friends, looking for a dress, the best napkins for the tables. Better to propose in Vegas and get married that night.Big Grin

So you think that's the reason Nick didn't propose in public? He was more concerned with what others would think than with Juliette?

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - eric - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 09:47 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 08:52 AM)eric Wrote: There are dangers associated with a public proposal-in a restaurant, on the screen at the ball park, at a party with friends. She might say no, tell you she is dumping you for the new love of her life, accuse you of keeping secrets, etc. If everyone hears the last one, imagine the pressure to confess and being sent to a padded cell. In real life I am sure many guys try to make it romantic, once you do propose your beloved goes from 0 to 100 in planning, calling friends, looking for a dress, the best napkins for the tables. Better to propose in Vegas and get married that night.Big Grin

So you think that's the reason Nick didn't propose in public? He was more concerned with what others would think than with Juliette?
No, but there seems to be a lot of people who feel a big show is the only way to go.If he felt a more quite setting was right for them, good for him. If he had wanted to hire a sky writing plane, good for him. I was just pointing out that big shows are not for everyone and can have downsides.

(01-24-2018, 07:56 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: I really don't see the problem with Nick proposing in the home he and Juliette shared for years. It's most likely where their fondest memories are. As Eric said, Nick keeping secrets was the problem, not them being interrupted. Where did Monroe propose to Rosalee?

I do. The house is something they reside in every day. Proposing to Juliette in the house is like buying her a vacuum for Christmas, in my opinion. Nick should be looking at her as something special, not something that's part of the house.

I have no idea where Monroe proposed to Rosalee.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - New Guy - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 10:12 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 07:56 AM)Hell Rell Wrote: I really don't see the problem with Nick proposing in the home he and Juliette shared for years. It's most likely where their fondest memories are. As Eric said, Nick keeping secrets was the problem, not them being interrupted. Where did Monroe propose to Rosalee?

I do. The house is something they reside in every day. Proposing to Juliette in the house is like buying her a vacuum for Christmas, in my opinion. Nick should be looking at her as something special, not something that's part of the house.

I have no idea where Monroe proposed to Rosalee.
Iruk,
If you ask Google, the answer is easily obtained:
http://tvline.com/2014/01/24/grimm-season-3-recap-monroe-rosalee-proposal-engaged-engagement/
Quote:On this week’s episode of Grimm [3.12, "The Wild Hunt"], Monroe and Rosalee finally get engaged.

Here are the important details: Rosalee wears a hot little black dress, they dine at a posh restaurant, dinner conversation seems ridiculously erotic (and twisted) until you realize they’re talking about the first time they woge’d (heh), they come home and Rosalee is really uninterested in seeing Monroe’s newest cuckoo clock… until it chimes “Will you marry me?”

He gets down on one knee and echoes, “Will you?” She replies in the tearful affirmative, and he slips a very pretty ring on her very pretty hand. Nicely done, Grimm.
Fact: Monroe proposed to Rosalee at home. The cuckoo was a nice touch. Smile
N G

(01-24-2018, 10:05 AM)eric Wrote: No, but there seems to be a lot of people who feel a big show is the only way to go.If he felt a more quite setting was right for them, good for him. If he had wanted to hire a sky writing plane, good for him. I was just pointing out that big shows are not for everyone and can have downsides.

Big shows aren't for everyone. But I'm not saying he had to give her a big show. But he should be doing more than "I was gonna propose to you on the couch". I guess Juliette could have been snarky and told him to hang on until she cleaned the potato chips out from under the cushions.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-24-2018

The romantic weekend in "Whispering Pines" was supposed to be the "big show" for the proposal. By the end of the weekend, Nick probably concluded that the couch in their living room might be the least dangerous place to propose. After all, they'd made it two thirds of the way through a season and only been attacked in the living room once...so far.

Little did Nick realize that that house would eventually prove to be the single most dangerous place in the world.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - New Guy - 01-24-2018

Hi Forum,
Here is an interesting study about cohabitation and commitment:
https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/07/men-and-women-often-expect-different-things-when-they-move-in-together/277571/
Quote:Stanley and Rhoades illustrate this point by pointing to the research on cohabitation, engagement, and divorce. Women who cohabit prior to engagement are about 40 percent more likely to divorce, compared to those who do not cohabit.
If Nick and Juliette were engaged before they moved in together, proposal accepted and ring on her finger, what would have changed? Would she break it off? When and how would she do it?
I will guess that the cat scratch fever is when she returns the ring, but fails to move out. End of commitment, just free rent and FWB activities.
N G

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - dicappatore - 01-24-2018

(01-24-2018, 01:52 PM)New Guy Wrote: Hi Forum,
Here is an interesting study about cohabitation and commitment:
https://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/07/men-and-women-often-expect-different-things-when-they-move-in-together/277571/
Quote:Stanley and Rhoades illustrate this point by pointing to the research on cohabitation, engagement, and divorce. Women who cohabit prior to engagement are about 40 percent more likely to divorce, compared to those who do not cohabit.
If Nick and Juliette were engaged before they moved in together, proposal accepted and ring on her finger, what would have changed? Would she break it off? When and how would she do it?
I will guess that the cat scratch fever is when she returns the ring, but fails to move out. End of commitment, just free rent and FWB activities.
N G

So, now some long-winded posters have concluded that this Grimm/cop isn't even capable to pick the proper spot and time to propose? Am I imagining this? There are actual people that know when and where is the proper time to propose?

Well, well well, let me tell all you know-it-all,l that think they know it all.

There is only one place and time to propose, that's is when she says "YES". The only one place and time, when it is wrong to propose, it is when she say's "NO". If I have to explain it to all you know-it-all's, its too late for you. There is no hope for you. Therapy, lots and lots of therapy!

(01-24-2018, 01:45 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: The romantic weekend in "Whispering Pines" was supposed to be the "big show" for the proposal. By the end of the weekend, Nick probably concluded that the couch in their living room might be the least dangerous place to propose. After all, they'd made it two thirds of the way through a season and only been attacked in the living room once...so far.

Little did Nick realize that that house would eventually prove to be the single most dangerous place in the world.

And this goes back to the original question. If it was too dangerous for Nick to propose outside his house, he should have let Juliette go.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-24-2018

Nick should either have let Juliette go or he should have told her everything that was happening to him as it was happening, so that she could make an informed choice about whether to go or to better equip herself to deal with what was going on. I don't know which he should have done (although obviously if Juliette was supposed to be in the series it would have had to be the latter), but what he did do was definitely not the right thing.