Grimm Forum
Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? (/Thread-Why-didn-t-Nick-let-Juliette-go)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - irukandji - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 08:21 AM)eric Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 07:44 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 05:30 PM)eric Wrote: No one can predict the future. Nick was in love with Juliette, in the first ten minutes of episode he was buying a ring to propose to Juliette after he got home. He didn't know he was going to shoot someone in a couple of hours--that kind of spoiled the mood. You can tell a teenager not to start smoking, they won't listen, soon they are addicted. After the cat scratch he tried to explain that Adeline was a real witch. Honestly, would anyone believe that? No one warned them about the hat or Juliette being transformed into a hex. Would anyone give up their beloved because a dying relative said to do that? Tell your significant other you would drop them like a dead rat based on the advice of an aunt--go ahead but leave instructions for your family to let me know when your funeral is scheduled so I can attend.Big Grin Of course, it was hard to ignore Grimm business, I would probably have gone to a shrink after seeing the first wessen.

The question on my mind is, was Juliette really Nick's beloved *after* Marie again plopped back into his life or did his talk with Marie sour Nick on a life with Juliette?
I probably missed it, when did Nick sour on a life with Juliette, before Cry Havoc?

I was going by the many posts criticizing Juliette for not accepting his proposal and the fact that Nick never proposed to her again. I can't speak for anyone else but for me, that would be a bitter disappointment.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - eric - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 12:10 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 05:30 PM)eric Wrote: No one can predict the future. Nick was in love with Juliette, in the first ten minutes of episode he was buying a ring to propose to Juliette after he got home. He didn't know he was going to shoot someone in a couple of hours--that kind of spoiled the mood. You can tell a teenager not to start smoking, they won't listen, soon they are addicted. After the cat scratch he tried to explain that Adeline was a real witch. Honestly, would anyone believe that? No one warned them about the hat or Juliette being transformed into a hex. Would anyone give up their beloved because a dying relative said to do that? Tell your significant other you would drop them like a dead rat based on the advice of an aunt--go ahead but leave instructions for your family to let me know when your funeral is scheduled so I can attend.Big Grin Of course, it was hard to ignore Grimm business, I would probably have gone to a shrink after seeing the first wessen.

The question on my mind is, was Juliette really Nick's beloved *after* Marie again plopped back into his life or did his talk with Marie sour Nick on a life with Juliette?
I probably missed it, when did Nick sour on a life with Juliette, before Cry Havoc?

I was going by the many posts criticizing Juliette for not accepting his proposal and the fact that Nick never proposed to her again. I can't speak for anyone else but for me, that would be a bitter disappointment.
I agree Nick did not like the rejection, but he understood her reasoning. Also, his second proposal was interrupted by a knock at the door. Before Monroe and Rosalee's wedding they looked at the ring, but Juliette said "one wedding at a time", which seemed reasonable to me. Then things got hectic. If Nick would felt soured, he could have returned the ring at any time, it looked pricey, he could have gotten a jet ski.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - irukandji - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 01:05 PM)eric Wrote:

I agree Nick did not like the rejection, but he understood her reasoning. Also, his second proposal was interrupted by a knock at the door. Before Monroe and Rosalee's wedding they looked at the ring, but Juliette said "one wedding at a time", which seemed reasonable to me. Then things got hectic. If Nick would felt soured, he could have returned the ring at any time, it looked pricey, he could have gotten a jet ski.

Eric, don't you think that if Nick really, really, really wanted to marry Juliette, he would have picked a better place than on the couch so he couldn't be interrupted?

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - Hexenadler - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 05:37 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 08:10 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 08:02 PM)irukandji Wrote: Well, actually I think he took Marie's advice more than we think. Nick proposed to Juliette when she was unaware of his grimm activities, but suspected he was keeping secrets from her. Once she became aware, that would have been the perfect opportunity to propose again. No more secrets between them and they bridged another level of understanding between them. Yet he never proposed to her again after that.

Marie's advice was for Nick to end it with Juliette and never see her again. Maybe you're thinking of his mom's advice not to leave the people he loved?

Nope. I believe you're thinking of that, otherwise why would you even bring it up? I am not. I was merely pointing out that it appeared that Marie's intent to sour Nick paid off. Not immediately and not entirely, but it can be seen in their relationship. Posters wouldn't be commenting on their relationship if Marie's words didn't have some effect on Nick. She planted the seed of doubt. It worked. The only question that's on my mind is why didn't Nick immediately act upon his doubt and boot her out? You suggested protection, but I'm not seeing Nick taking a proactive approach to protecting Juliette.

I suddenly like Aunt Marie a lot less than I did before.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-23-2018

Aunt Marie's thinking was exactly the same as that of Nick's mom when she went underground: if you're a grimm and you're living the life of a grimm, you need to not have any loved ones around you or they'll be in danger.

When Nick was a kid, his mom was living a quiet suburban life with a husband and child, but the moment she thought there was danger she sent everyone away so she could face it alone. When Marie came to take Nick, she ended her engagement to a wesen, took off with Nick and became a librarian in Montana.

Nothing was ever said to Nick about how he should keep his grimm secret from his loved ones and not trust them. What he was told was not to have any loved ones around him at all. That advice, he ignored.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - eric - 01-23-2018

(01-23-2018, 01:12 PM)irukandji Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 01:05 PM)eric Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 07:44 PM)irukandji Wrote: The question on my mind is, was Juliette really Nick's beloved *after* Marie again plopped back into his life or did his talk with Marie sour Nick on a life with Juliette?

Eric, don't you think that if Nick really, really, really wanted to marry Juliette, he would have picked a better place than on the couch so he couldn't be interrupted?
As I remember it, when they were sitting on the couch no one interrupted them. Jullette wanted him to come clean, but he didn't know enough to explain it and hoped it could be kept secret, he tried to tell her after the cat scratch and she passed out. IMO Nick's attempts to keep the relationship alive is best described by the song "When a Man Loves a Woman". If he had dumped her the night Marie suggested it, he would have second guessed it for a long time. If Grimms do not mate, soon there will be no Grimms.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - dicappatore - 01-24-2018

(01-23-2018, 10:08 PM)eric Wrote: As I remember it, when they were sitting on the couch no one interrupted them. Jullette wanted him to come clean, but he didn't know enough to explain it and hoped it could be kept secret, he tried to tell her after the cat scratch and she passed out. IMO Nick's attempts to keep the relationship alive is best described by the song "When a Man Loves a Woman". If he had dumped her the night Marie suggested it, he would have second guessed it for a long time. If Grimms do not mate, soon there will be no Grimms.

Makes one wonder about the posters that keep insisting that Grimms should live a solitary life and not mate. Did they failed Biology? Maybe there are Griimms Storks the show didn't show us.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - irukandji - 01-24-2018

(01-23-2018, 10:08 PM)eric Wrote: As I remember it, when they were sitting on the couch no one interrupted them. Jullette wanted him to come clean, but he didn't know enough to explain it and hoped it could be kept secret, he tried to tell her after the cat scratch and she passed out. IMO Nick's attempts to keep the relationship alive is best described by the song "When a Man Loves a Woman". If he had dumped her the night Marie suggested it, he would have second guessed it for a long time. If Grimms do not mate, soon there will be no Grimms.

He can't keep the relationship alive and yet hope to keep his little grimm activities secret. The two don't mix. And if you notice, none of the recent posts are applauding Juliette for refusing his proposal. There are those out there who believe there was some grave misjustice done when she refused, even though she was telling the truth. *He* was keeping secrets from her.

In any case, the couch in the living room is not an appropriate place for him to propose to her. Not **if*** we're supposed to believe this is Nick's beloved and he would do anything for her. A beloved doesn't deserve something so sloppy. The fact that he's dumb enough to even admit something like that to her just shows how serious he is about **NOT** wanting to marry her.

(01-23-2018, 01:47 PM)Hexenadler Wrote: I suddenly like Aunt Marie a lot less than I did before.

It's good to see you back, Hexenadler.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - Hell Rell - 01-24-2018

I really don't see the problem with Nick proposing in the home he and Juliette shared for years. It's most likely where their fondest memories are. As Eric said, Nick keeping secrets was the problem, not them being interrupted. Where did Monroe propose to Rosalee?

We know Nick can't keep the relationship alive while keeping this secret. I know other posters have criticized Juliette but I defended her multiple times for turning him down. That doesn't mean that Nick didn't hope he could marry Juliette while keeping the secret. He wouldn't have proposed if he thought otherwise.

TV is filled with characters who married while keeping secrets. Ideal relationships are few and far between in dramas. This just adds to the reasons why Nick and Juliette weren't the ideal couple and shouldn't have stayed together for both of their sakes.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - eric - 01-24-2018

There are dangers associated with a public proposal-in a restaurant, on the screen at the ball park, at a party with friends. She might say no, tell you she is dumping you for the new love of her life, accuse you of keeping secrets, etc. If everyone hears the last one, imagine the pressure to confess and being sent to a padded cell. In real life I am sure many guys try to make it romantic, once you do propose your beloved goes from 0 to 100 in planning, calling friends, looking for a dress, the best napkins for the tables. Better to propose in Vegas and get married that night.Big Grin