Grimm Forum
Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? (/Thread-Why-didn-t-Nick-let-Juliette-go)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - irukandji - 01-21-2018

Marie's ominous words to Nick:

Quote:The misfortune of our family is already passing to you. I'm so sorry. I know you love Juliette, but you have to end it and never see her again. It's just too dangerous.

I find this yet another strange contradiction in the character of Nick. He doesn't believe Aunt Marie with regard to her warning about Juliette, and so completely ignores it. Yet he falls completely and easily for the whole grimm saga.

So why didn't he let Juliette go when Marie told him to? I know many here are going to say because he loved Juliette. However it wasn't hard to fathom that becoming a grimm was becoming to Nick. So wouldn't that suggest to him that his newfound profession was possibly going to cause her great harm?

Keep in mind, he became a grimm the very night Marie showed up.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - Robyn - 01-21-2018

I don’t think it was that Nick didn’t believe Marie’s warning, just that she gave him a lot of information to absorb in such a short timeframe. Nick seem to realize soon after that Juliette being with him did put her in danger, but whether part of his human or Grimm personality, or a little of both Nick wanted to be a Grimm and keep Juliette with him. And he was willing to put her at risk to have both.

I wasn’t that surprised that Nick’s first inclination was to stay with Juliette, but was surprised that he didn’t rethink his decision after her near-death experience from Adalind’s coma spell.

That said, I think there's another side to the Nick/Juliette debate. Nick came clean about everything after Juliette regained her memory. She clearly understood the danger, and that Nick's secrecy had allowed her to be at risk. Yet she not only chose to stay, she wanted to be actively involved in Nick's Grimm life.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - dicappatore - 01-21-2018

(01-21-2018, 07:19 PM)Robyn Wrote: I don’t think it was that Nick didn’t believe Marie’s warning, just that she gave him a lot of information to absorb in such a short timeframe. Nick seem to realize soon after that Juliette being with him did put her in danger, but whether part of his human or Grimm personality, or a little of both Nick wanted to be a Grimm and keep Juliette with him. And he was willing to put her at risk to have both.

I wasn’t that surprised that Nick’s first inclination was to stay with Juliette, but was surprised that he didn’t rethink his decision after her near-death experience from Adalind’s coma spell.

That said, I think there's another side to the Nick/Juliette debate. Nick came clean about everything after Juliette regained her memory. She clearly understood the danger, and that Nick's secrecy had allowed her to be at risk. Yet she not only chose to stay, she wanted to be actively involved in Nick's Grimm life.

Just one of your best posts yet, Robyn.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - syscrash - 01-21-2018

Nick came clean before Juliette loss her memory. That was the bases of the story line for her regaining her memory. Trying to remember what Nick was trying to tell her. But don't forget when Adalind attacked Juliette the writers then had Nick mom explain how she was wrong to leave the ones you love. That showed the writers fully intended to keep Juliette.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - irukandji - 01-22-2018

(01-21-2018, 07:19 PM)Robyn Wrote: That said, I think there's another side to the Nick/Juliette debate. Nick came clean about everything after Juliette regained her memory. She clearly understood the danger, and that Nick's secrecy had allowed her to be at risk. Yet she not only chose to stay, she wanted to be actively involved in Nick's Grimm life.

Well, the other side to the Nick/Juliette debate has come up often because as always, it's much easier to blame Juliette and question why she didn't leave. I have rarely, if ever, read the question of why Nick didn't let her go when Marie told him to.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - Robyn - 01-22-2018

(01-22-2018, 05:29 AM)irukandji Wrote: Well, the other side to the Nick/Juliette debate has come up often because as always, it's much easier to blame Juliette and question why she didn't leave. I have rarely, if ever, read the question of why Nick didn't let her go when Marie told him to.
It's not blame for either. Two fully informed adults made their own decision. Nick absolutely made a decision for Juliette when staying with her and not telling her what was happening. But when he did eventually tell her everything, Juliette made her decision on the spot rather than taking time to think it over.

However, I don't think anyone could have fathomed the scope of danger they would face because he was a Grimm. Hindsight might be 20/20, but sometimes it's just a bitch biting your ass too late to make a difference.

syscrash has a point with this one - the writers wanted Nick & Juliette to stay together so they had her jump in with both feet rather than have her take a more believable approach and leave, at least temporarily.

(01-21-2018, 09:37 PM)dicappatore Wrote: Just one of your best posts yet, Robyn.

Thanks, dicappatore.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - irukandji - 01-22-2018

(01-22-2018, 02:49 PM)Robyn Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 05:29 AM)irukandji Wrote: Well, the other side to the Nick/Juliette debate has come up often because as always, it's much easier to blame Juliette and question why she didn't leave. I have rarely, if ever, read the question of why Nick didn't let her go when Marie told him to.
It's not blame for either. Two fully informed adults made their own decision. Nick absolutely made a decision for Juliette when staying with her and not telling her what was happening. But when he did eventually tell her everything, Juliette made her decision on the spot rather than taking time to think it over.

However, I don't think anyone could have fathomed the scope of danger they would face because he was a Grimm. Hindsight might be 20/20, but sometimes it's just a bitch biting your ass too late to make a difference.

I should have never brought up the blame issue because that really had nothing to do with my question. I know Juliette made the decision to stay once she found out what Nick was.

Nick believed Marie when she told him all about the grimm heritage. He made the decision not to immediately share any of his little grimm activities with Juliette. According to the consensus here, it was his house. He owed Juliette nothing and what she wants really has no bearing in this. If he wants her out, she'd have to leave, end of story. Why didn't he let her go? Was he really all that in love with her to keep her there? Was he a chicken and couldn't decide? Was he simply obsessed with Juliette? What would possess him to act so secretive toward her, yet keep her there?

I know the writers wrote this this way, but I would like to go beyond the writing and look at it from Nick's point of view, just for the fun of debate.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - FaceInTheCrowd - 01-22-2018

Nick may have thought he could "protect" Juliette from the scarier aspects of his life by keeping them to himself. I understand that this often happens with LEOs, but in Nick's case it would be on major doses of steroids.

Early on in the series, Nick referred to the house as "Juliette's house," but when Juliette was giving Kenneth information about the neighborhood, she referred to it as "Nick's house." If we go by what they ended up with, Nick wouldn't have been letting Juliette go so much as kicking her out. Initially, I would guess it was Nick in denial about being able to hang on to his personal life and keep it apart from being a cop and a grimm. No idea why Juliette didn't run for the hills when the truth was revealed to her. But by S03 Juliette was fully aware and onboard as a full-fledged, gun-toting member of Team Scoobie, and they were both charging ahead with blinders on.

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - Robyn - 01-22-2018

(01-22-2018, 03:23 PM)irukandji Wrote: I know the writers wrote this this way, but I would like to go beyond the writing and look at it from Nick's point of view, just for the fun of debate.
Me too. There’s little point in discussing the show if we’re supposed to accept that whatever pans across the screen is so black and white that a character’s actions can’t be understood until that character plainly announces the writers’ intent.

(01-22-2018, 03:23 PM)irukandji Wrote: Nick believed Marie when she told him all about the grimm heritage. He made the decision not to immediately share any of his little grimm activities with Juliette. According to the consensus here, it was his house. He owed Juliette nothing and what she wants really has no bearing in this. If he wants her out, she'd have to leave, end of story. Why didn't he let her go? Was he really all that in love with her to keep her there? Was he a chicken and couldn't decide? Was he simply obsessed with Juliette? What would possess him to act so secretive toward her, yet keep her there?
Nick believing the aunt who was a second mother to him isn’t the same as readily processing the volume of information he was getting from Marie, Monroe, and the trailer content. As I said before, I don’t think Nick imagined things becoming as hectic as they quickly became. Beyond that, I think Nick, the man introduced in the pilot, loved Juliette very much, and wanted to marry her and raise a family. Once his life changed, he wanted to be a Grimm but still wanted a normal life with Juliette. Which could be why he opted to lie rather than disrupt the life he wanted them to have by telling her about his bizarre other life.

This is where I place some blame on Nick. Once Adalind was obviously trying to form a relationship with Hank and Juliette got involved, Nick should have come clean with both of them. The physical attack came from Renard and Adalind, but Nick knew Adalind had made an attempt on Marie’s life and considered her one of the bad Wesen. This is where I think Nick was presented as wanting to have his cake and eat it too. He didn’t want to lose Juliette or stop being a detective, and in order to have both he allowed his girlfriend and partner/friend to be in not only unnecessary danger but danger they weren’t even aware existed.

Now that said, Hank and Juliette weren’t upset with Nick once they became aware of what he allowed them to be exposed to. So why would Nick think he was wrong if no one got angry with him for withholding information that might have made a difference?

RE: Why didn't Nick let Juliette go? - syscrash - 01-22-2018

I am not sure why there is this argument that Nick should have put Juliette out or at the less ended their relationship. Now if we are saying next after letting Juliette know what she was in for. If he then pointed out what has happened to her so far. Then suggest they separate for her own safety. I could see that as a way to approach the situation. But on the other hand she did find out what she was up against and immediately was thrown into another crises. Yet she chose to stay. She is grown and does not need someone to tell her what to do for her own good. My first suggestion would be to relieve her of any feeling of obligations that may have her wanting to stay.

The show explained to Hank in bad moon raising why he did not tell him about wesen. Like he said how was he suppose to explain it to him. He told Juliette the same thing once she was in the know. She even commented that she understood why he was keeping the secrete. consider with each reveal the show makes it a very dramatic experience. Also remember it was season one that he told Hank and tried to tell Juliette.

For those that suggest Nick should have followed Mari suggestion. Exactly how would that have worked. Are you suggesting he showed have separated from her without giving a reason. We know from the writers why he could not tell her. We even have an acknowledgement of the validity of the reason. Nick did inform Juliette to the danger of being with him once she was in the know. She responded with an acknowledgement of not going anywhere. A few episodes later she suggested she get a gun, suggesting she fully understood the danger.

So it is not like the writers had Nick completely ignore what his aunt said. But you also have to consider by the time Juliette was in the know. Nick mother had told him to stay with the ones you love.