Grimm Forum
enemies turn into lovers - explains Nadalind popularity - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: enemies turn into lovers - explains Nadalind popularity (/Thread-enemies-turn-into-lovers-explains-Nadalind-popularity)

enemies turn into lovers - explains Nadalind popularity - wesen - 12-20-2017

After having recently watched Star Wars the Last Jedi I noticed that Reylo as in the villain kylo Ren and Rey have become one of the,if not the most, popular shipped couple in the new star wars trilogy. part of their popularity I think is the idea of former enemies falling in love and turning into lovers, of dark versus light being attracted to one another. the concept that the two opposites became attracted to each other becausè only they could understand one another and that they share similar backgrounds and loneliness (sound familiar?) was touched upon in the star wars movie.

that probably explains why Nadalind gained more fans shipping for them than Juliette and Nick. people are attracted to danger, opposite attraction, yin and yang, and reforming the bad boy/girl.

RE: enemies turn into lovers - explains Nadalind popularity - rpmaluki - 12-20-2017

I haven't watched the latest movie (I doubt I will) but from what I gather, Kylo is still on his path of destruction and trying to persuade Rey to join him. Whatever similarities stopped at bad girl/guy falls for good guy/girl. Is the romance actually confirmed? Anyway, it may be insignificant but Adalind was already in a different place psychologically than Kylo l, whom I found a petulant child from just the first movie. And I'm struggling to see him with Rey.

I admit there's a strong pull within the audiences for relationships that begin contentiously but grow into something more, the whole opposites attract and so forth but I don't believe EVERY relationship like that is worth rooting for. I hated Skye and Ward from Agents of SHIELD. I already know I can't stand the potential in Kylo and Rey. I have said before that I was surprised to find myself loving Nick and Adalind. If Adalind hadn't gone through the changes she did and Nick suddenly fell for her while she was still a vile character from S1 and S2 with no redeeming qualities, I'm more than certain I would have hated it just as passionately as I do the other couples I mentioned. It's sort of acknowledged in S2 that Nick and Adalind could have been a thing but under different circumstances and I'm sure I cringed when Adalind said that and Nick, truth be told always seemed affected to some degree by Adalind but no way did I ever consider these two hooking up, ever!

The Adalind at the end of S4 is in a better place mentally and emotionally compared to her early seasons version or the Ward from AoS who tried to get with Skye and by mid S5 Adalind has grown, acknowledged her terrible actions while the other refused to see how his actions cost people their lives and hurt the closest people to Skye. He had no remorse, she had plenty of it. By the time Nick and Adalind fall for one another you see just how much they have in common so it's not as jarring as I find the other two couples I mentioned.

To those who like Kylo and Rey, more power to them but they aren't for me. I'm not a believer in relationships that hinge on "the power of love" converting one half of the couple to the good side. It doesn't work in real life and I have seen more destruction come out of those relationships because people believe they can "change" the other person but they truth is they can't. Whatever changes Adalind went through they came from within not Nick believing his love for her would make her a better person. Look at RDJ, for years he'd stay clean then fall off the wagon, he met his current wife and he chose to get his act together himself, she didn't try to clean him up, it wasn't her job he stay sober. It was his choice to stay clean, he's been sober for years. It wasn't up to her and as wonderful as it is that she loves him, it's not what ultimately keeps him on the straight. It's RDJ himself. Adalind chose a different path for herself and her kids, Nick is just a beneficiary of something that began with her children. That's why I didn't balk at the thought of them being together in S5 as I would have back in S2 if that jail scene went further than it did.