Grimm Forum
Can Humanity handled the existence of Wesen? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Can Humanity handled the existence of Wesen? (/Thread-Can-Humanity-handled-the-existence-of-Wesen)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Can Humanity handled the existence of Wesen? - FaceInTheCrowd - 09-09-2020

On average, there are about 90,000 people listed as missing in the US every year. About 2000 of these are never resolved. That gives us a rough envelope for the maximum number of people that could be involved. Presumably, some would eventually be convinced they had imagined what they saw, some would become unfortunate deaths and some would be recruited into the conspiracy of silence.

RE: Can Humanity handled the existence of Wesen? - irukandji - 09-09-2020

I have a feeling there are a good number of humans who know about and are friends with wesen. And as often as Monroe and Rosalee woged, I think there are a good many humans who know and just aren't talking about it. It's really a shame the producers took the approach that true humans were just too sensitive, insecure, whatever, to be able to deal with the prospect of sharing the world with wesen.

Considering how many can't deal with the prospect of having to share the world with other humans who have different skin colors or religious beliefs, I'd say they got it just about right.

I was actually speaking from the fantasy perspective of the series. As the producers take a rather dim view of true humans, we'll never know for sure.

From a reality perspective, it doesn't have to be racial or religious. People are being murdered for their political affiliations these days.

In six seasons, no character on Grimm ever called Hank the "n-word," so it's pretty obvious to me that all the everyday bigotry of real-life humans was channeled into wesen, an allegory of minorities practicing their traditions and faiths behind closed doors while "passing" to avoid persecution at the hands of the majority.

(09-09-2020, 01:27 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: In six seasons, no character on Grimm ever called Hank the "n-word," so it's pretty obvious to me that all the everyday bigotry of real-life humans was channeled into wesen, an allegory of minorities practicing their traditions and faiths behind closed doors while "passing" to avoid persecution at the hands of the majority.

You're referring to humans as the "hands of the majority"?

Yep. Kehrseite = majority, wesen = minority. Race, religion, etc., vary with setting.

IIRC, we saw something similar in the old "Alien Nation" series. Instead of picking on each other as they do in real life, intolerant humans of various types seemed to unite in their common desire to pick on the alien immigrants.

(09-09-2020, 05:37 PM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: Yep. Kehrseite = majority, wesen = minority. Race, religion, etc., vary with setting.

IIRC, we saw something similar in the old "Alien Nation" series. Instead of picking on each other as they do in real life, intolerant humans of various types seemed to unite in their common desire to pick on the alien immigrants.

Actually, wesen picked on wesen a lot in the series. There were episodes focused on wesen vs wesen hatred.

Consider the beloved favorite characters, Rosalee and Monroe. Rosalee called Juliette a "freaking hexenbiest" when Juliette woged. Monroe and Rosalee suffered the prejudice of Monroe's own people when they married each other outside their species. Their own children's books contain big bad Grimms chasing little children. The purpose? To frighten children using perceived attitudes about Grimms. In truth, most wesen haven't even met Grimms. 

I don't really think wesen are in hiding because mobs of true humans are waiting to string them up to the nearest tree. Monroe hunted humans. His family continued to hunt humans. It obvious humans don't frighten them if they consider them prey. They instead used wesen tactics to frighten humans in their lust for the hunt.

Nick was often the target of wesen prejudice simply by virtue of being a Grimm. That's prejudice. 

Adalind's own mother disowned her when she sensed Adalind was no longer a hexenbiest but a true human. That's prejudice. Even Adalind was so disgusted she considered herself a nobody once she became a true human.

How about Nick's own mother and aunt? Grimms who killed wesen simply because they were wesen.

Paraphrasing here, Elizabeth indirectly referred to the Salem witch trials and the hexenbiests who were put to death. She wasn't talking to true humans, but to Monroe and Rosalee. Apparently the implication was that wesen were responsible for the witches' deaths.

What was Nick's reaction to Juliette's woge? Fear? Repulsion? She was his lover. Wouldn't he be a bigot for looking at a hexenbiest this way? 

Nick's own diaries contain unappealing characteristics about wesen. Are these really reference materials or vehicles of bigotry, designed to lump wesen into evil categories?

I happened to catch a discussion where a fan was outraged that Zerstorer's first victims from the scooby set were Hank and Wu, minorities. Suffice to say that Adalind also selected Hank as t he victim of her spell and Wu suffered fall out from the cookie meant for Hank.

RE: Can Humanity handled the existence of Wesen? - FaceInTheCrowd - 09-10-2020

The non-criminal wesen personified by the frightened crowd that used to gather in the spice shop every time some crisis or another threatened to reveal the existence of wesen concealed themselves out of fear that kehrseite would react to their differences with persecution and genocide because their histories tell them that it's happened before. Other wesen felt resentment that they had to live that way. The customs they practice in secret often included their traditional feuds and hostilities toward each other, and of course there will always be those who will prey on their own kind who do not dare to seek aid from official law enforcement.

If the existence of wesen were a known fact in the world, there would probably be anti-wesen bigots calling in to talk radio and citing "wesen on wesen crime" as a justification for wesen mass incarceration and the excessive use of force against and shootings of unarmed wesen by police.

RE: Can Humanity handled the existence of Wesen? - Robyn - 09-13-2020

I recall talk of a spin off, but not if it was to be a continuation of Grimm with Nick’s son as the local Grimm or something else.

Had the Wesen uprising been better executed, the final season could have explored the good, bad, and ugly of Wesen exposure as well as global government cover-ups.

Then ‘Grimm, TNG’ could have been a spin off for Grimm, Wesen, and Human law enforcement dealing with the ongoing fallout.

Personally, I prefer seasons 5 & 6 devoted to a winner-take-all showdown with The Royals.  Coupled with Juliette and Diana, the super Hexenbiests, it could have been a rip-roaring ride.  A mountain of opportunity with zero achievement at the end.