Grimm Forum
SHIELD "FZZT" 1x6 - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Television Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Television-Forum)
+--- Forum: TV Shows (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-TV-Shows)
+---- Forum: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Agents-of-S-H-I-E-L-D)
+---- Thread: SHIELD "FZZT" 1x6 (/Thread-SHIELD-FZZT-1x6)

SHIELD "FZZT" 1x6 - grimmfreak - 11-06-2013

This show really turned a corner for me tonight. I wasn't sure if it was going to be a long term winner for me but now I think it is.
Most of the episode was like all the others but when they talked about traumatic experiences and how they change you it really hit home... If you've been through trauma it would be difficult to not tear up during this episode. A must rewatch for me.

RE: SHIELD "FZZT" 1x6 - pale boy - 11-07-2013

I liked it but I was also sort of disappointed. This is a Whedon show and no main characters have died. It would have upped the stakes for that to have happened this episode. And instead ...

Well. Let's just say I didn't believe the next week's previews when they said that two team members were going to be in danger.

I understand why they didn't kill Simmons off -- since this show is big on the optimism and its on ABC -- but it just felt a bit too "Disney" for me. Though I'm sure the last minute rescue here would make any actual character death later sting worse.

Anway, I do love the May/Coulson dynamic. They're my two favorites on the show. They're the oldest characters, so they have a lot of backstory and weight compared to the other members of the team. Also, the more experienced actors seem to be the most at ease on the show, (though the rest of the cast is meshing better at this point).

RE: SHIELD "FZZT" 1x6 - Lou - 11-07-2013

(11-07-2013, 12:04 AM)pale boy Wrote: I liked it but I was also sort of disappointed. This is a Whedon show and no main characters have died. It would have upped the stakes for that to have happened this episode. And instead ....

You can't start killing off main characters till the the end of the season or the beginning of the next Smile

It wouldn't be as much fun - the viewers need time to become attached to them.

RE: SHIELD "FZZT" 1x6 - pale boy - 11-07-2013

(11-07-2013, 12:19 AM)Lou Wrote: You can't start killing off main characters till the the end of the season or the beginning of the next Smile

It wouldn't be as much fun - the viewers need time to become attached to them.

Nooooo. They need to do it now. Wink Or in a couple of episodes.

As for me, the only characters I'm really attached to are May and Coulson (though that's probably obvious by now, ha). I'd be shocked if they got rid of any of the others (because so many shows don't have the guts to off characters these days) but I wouldn't really care. I think that's less an issue of time and more a problem with how bland the rest of the team is to me. Six episodes in and Fitz, Simmons, the dude with the jaw line, and hacker!gurl are still faceless cyphers.

Aside from the last-second-rescue I thought was a little ... cheesy, I have another nitpick. I like the adventurous feel to the show, the more hopeful tone (even if I do think they should kill someone off, that doesn't mean it needs to get "gritty"). It's just that I don't click with most of the cast.

RE: SHIELD "FZZT" 1x6 - droid327 - 11-07-2013

I liked that this episode got back to being more "comic-booky", and not just another boilerplate action-drama. I thought it got plenty gritty and "non-Disney" when they spent so much time on the scene where the guy knew he was about to die and there was no way to stop it, that was pretty dark.

That being said, the episode continues to fail the way its been failing all along. Yes, we get it, Coulson got stabbed in the movie. We're far enough in that you can just assume anyone watching has seen the movie, or any previous episode where you hammered that point home. Its like that's the only thing they want his character to be about.

Ward and Sky are still too tropey. There's no chemistry there, their dialog always feels too forced and, also, tropey.

Fitz and Simmons are decent, if also tropey, but at least they're fun together. I just hope they don't try to pair them up romantically, way too obvious and unnecessary, they're more interesting as pseudo siblings.

May, I cant get over since she's just playing the same character she played in Stargate Universe (angry lesbian Asian!), and I wanted to slap her then, so I want to slap her now still too...

If someone's going to die, its going to be either May or Fitz/Simmons. Fitz and Simmons are obviously interchangeable from a storytelling perspective, and May is a bit of a Mary Jane as it is, so getting rid of her would be a "we gotta figure out how to do this without her now" kinda moment. Coulson obviously is off limits, and Sky and Ward are who we're "seeing" the show through mostly.