Grimm Forum
Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? (/Thread-Did-the-characters-end-up-like-you-expected-at-the-beginning-of-the-series)

Pages: 1 2 3

Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? - WispyWillow - 06-08-2017

Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? everything that happened to them during the series not just the last episode

nick - got to be grimm/cop and have a family
- thought he'd stay with juliette

hank - didn't find out more about him
- he just stayed nick's cop partner

monroe - he's stay nick's secret wesen partner for a longer time

juliette - she'd try to leave town
- she would find out on her own about existence of wesen
- nick and monroe lying to her would cause more problems

RE: Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? - MarylikesGrimm - 06-08-2017

(06-08-2017, 12:42 AM)WispyWillow Wrote: nick - got to be grimm/cop and have a family
You are not the only person who says this. Maybe you can explain what you mean to me.

Juliette left Nick in the middle of season 4 for good reasons. How could Nick "stayed" with Juliette then? IMO if Nick wanted Juliette he would had to make major changes in his life to get her back. What am I missing about what you mean?

RE: Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? - Loona - 06-08-2017

No, by no means.

RE: Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? - MarylikesGrimm - 06-08-2017

(06-08-2017, 12:42 AM)WispyWillow Wrote: Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? everything that happened to them during the series not just the last episode
nick

Most of these types of shows if a hero is with a women when he gets his powers he usually has to give the first love up so in that way G&K did not surprise me. If we saw Nick fall in love with Juliette and/or we get to see one of his past loves imo it would been more likely that Juliette and him would have married based on traditional storyline for "superheros".

IMO Juliette tuning into hexenbiest was never given a backstory that made any sense. When Angel turns evil again in Buffy it made sense because of the curse.

They made Juliette the most powerful hexenbiest on the show but the show let many people fill in the blank from one slap that Juliette was tortured for weeks when Meisner has no special powers and is killed later by Sean with a gun. IMO G&K kept trying to show us in season 5 and 6 that Juliette/Eve was free instead of giving us a more complete backstory that would justify better what was happening the show. Never explaining any human backstory including Wu, Hank, earlier human Juliette or human adult Nick really was confusing too.

RE: Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? - rpmaluki - 06-08-2017

Renard did a (sort of) full 360, going from grey to grey in six seasons.

Hank, Monroe and Rosalee didn't really change from the moment we meet them. Wu just became a neanderthal.

Nick, Juliette and Adalind are the only characters that didn't end up where I expected them primarily because I NEVER saw Nadalind coming, not ever. I had hoped Nick and Juliette would go their separate ways as early as S1 but I didn't think the writers would actually break thep up (although it happened three seasons later) and keep them that way.

Juliette and Adalind have tropey character arcs where the good girl goes bad and the bad girl goes good (yes they were badly written but that's a topic for another thread).

Nick is the enigma. There is a stark difference between S1 Nick and S6 Nick (in on screen personality) but the transformation sometimes feels too subtle and even haphazard and at other times it's like Nick hardly ever changed. In this way he's not exactly like Renard, whom we saw change from grey to good guy to villain and back to grey again, nor is he like Hank/Monroe who are still very much the same characters they played from S1.

A part of me feels Nick's transformation is perhaps the most realistic of all the other characters because it's simply impossible for someone to not go through changes with everything that's happened to him and retain the core of his characteristics but that sounds like I'm giving the writers credit and I can't do that because I know it wasn't purposeful/intentional, nor was it intelligently written. I've heard enough complaints about Juliette/Adalind not being realistic, this is maybe true in real life but sci-fi shows don't exactly aim for realism when writing and like I said, their arcs are very trope ridden and Grimm wasn't known for stellar writing from the get go regardless of the genre, so that added to a lot of the complaints.

RE: Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? - WispyWillow - 06-08-2017

(06-08-2017, 01:04 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 12:42 AM)WispyWillow Wrote: nick - got to be grimm/cop and have a family
You are not the only person who says this. Maybe you can explain what you mean to me.

Juliette left Nick in the middle of season 4 for good reasons. How could Nick "stayed" with Juliette then? IMO if Nick wanted Juliette he would had to make major changes in his life to get her back. What am I missing about what you mean?

Nick and Juliette were the main romantic relationship of the show for the first 4 seasons. TV shows usual keep the main couple together no matter how many times they break up during the show or what they do to each other. the writers don't permanently break them up unless the actor playing the love interest leaves the show or doesn't come back before the end to reunite the couple.

nick couldn't make juliette stay with him but she didn't want to leave him before the end of season 4. don't you think she had good reasons to leave him before the end of season 4?

(06-08-2017, 01:24 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: Most of these types of shows if a hero is with a women when he gets his powers he usually has to give the first love up so in that way G&K did not surprise me. If we saw Nick fall in love with Juliette and/or we get to see one of his past loves imo it would been more likely that Juliette and him would have married based on traditional storyline for "superheros".

IMO Juliette tuning into hexenbiest was never given a backstory that made any sense. When Angel turns evil again in Buffy it made sense because of the curse.

They made Juliette the most powerful hexenbiest on the show but the show let many people fill in the blank from one slap that Juliette was tortured for weeks when Meisner has no special powers and is killed later by Sean with a gun. IMO G&K kept trying to show us in season 5 and 6 that Juliette/Eve was free instead of giving us a more complete backstory that would justify better what was happening the show. Never explaining any human backstory including Wu, Hank, earlier human Juliette or human adult Nick really was confusing too.

Diana was the most powerful hexenbiest. Eve was scared of her in season 5.
did eve have the same level of power in season 6? the stick seemed to change her not just emotionally.

Meisner had her locked up in a cell like the dungeon viktor tortured adalind in. juliette couldn't use her hexenbiest powers while in there.

since like you said G&K didn't bother to explain how human juliette managed to turn into another species my idea is that juliette's hexenbiest is the magical hat baby spirit (test tube baby) of elizabeth and adalind's hexebiests spirits. elisabeth tried the potion on herself first after spending the night making it. don't think the potion she made would have been exactly the same as the one adalind made to remove nick's powers.

RE: Did the characters end up like you expected at the beginning of the series? - rpmaluki - 06-08-2017

I believe the Verfluchte Zwillingsschwester spell Adalind used to make herself into Juliette isn't what actually took Nick's powers away. We've seen Elizabeth, Eve and Nick use the spell without losing any powers, mind you Nick couldn't change back. Adalind needed the twinning spell to get close to Nick or else he wouldn't have let his guard down long enough for her to perform the real spell on him, unfortunately the writers were lax in differentiating the two spells and ended up making us think the twinning spell was all that Adalind did that day.

And another thought, Adalind robbing Nick of his powers in Juliette's form drew a thread between all three characters, maybe that's why Elizabeth wasn't affected when making the cure because she wasn't part of the original spell. Juliette recreating the spell completed the loop. In the first spell, only Nick and Adalind were connected and after the second spell, it was Adalind and Juliette. we know that Juliette's hexenbiest is in fact derived from Adalind's.

It seems the only way for a normal human to become a hexenbiest is under the same conditions we saw on the show. Nick killed Adalind's hexenbiest. She got one back through a ritual but was immune to all Grimm. Adalind took Nick's Grimm because she had his blood but because she used Juliette's form in conjunction, Adalind pulled a third party into their cat and mouse game. To restore Nick's powers the spell had to be recreated in reverse, Juliette talking Adalind's place and as a human, she became susceptible to [Adalind's] hexenbiest taking her (Juliette became a biest instantly the same way Nick did but hadn't been woged). Juliette became a biest permanently as part of the re-Grimming/"restoration" spell, so it wasn't just the restoring of Nick's powers that took place. I think the reason made-hexenbiests are supposedly stronger than born-biests could be the biest tapping into the bottomless well of human emotion, provided that the brain make-up of human and wesen are different, thus the biest , like a parasite, feeds off those primal urges that are typically kept under lock and key. If natural born-biests have safety catches within their brain that gives them control, it's possible made-biests don't have them because of genetics, therefore the more volatile and uncontrolled those emotions, the better.

(06-08-2017, 03:24 AM)WispyWillow Wrote: Meisner had her locked up in a cell like the dungeon viktor tortured adalind in. juliette couldn't use her hexenbiest powers while in there.

Viktor said that out loud. Where was that stated?

(06-08-2017, 03:24 AM)WispyWillow Wrote: Diana was the most powerful hexenbiest. Eve was scared of her in season 5.

Good point about Diana but because she was a child she really could not use her powers effectively to get the things she really wanted.

(06-08-2017, 04:11 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote:
(06-08-2017, 03:24 AM)WispyWillow Wrote: Meisner had her locked up in a cell like the dungeon viktor tortured adalind in. juliette couldn't use her hexenbiest powers while in there.

Viktor said that at loud. Where was that stated?

(06-08-2017, 03:24 AM)WispyWillow Wrote: Diana was the most powerful hexenbiest. Eve was scared of her in season 5.

Good point about Diana but because she was a child she really could not use her powers effectively to get the things she really wanted.
Diana was the most powerful but as I said this before, deep down she was still a child with the temperament of a child. Obviously with better guidance, she can hone those powers and have pinpoint precision and be even more dangerous, if she so chose.

(06-08-2017, 03:24 AM)WispyWillow Wrote: Nick and Juliette were the main romantic relationship of the show for the first 4 seasons. TV shows usual keep the main couple together no matter how many times they break up during the show or what they do to each other. the writers don't permanently break them up unless the actor playing the love interest leaves the show or doesn't come back before the end to reunite the couple.

Is Superman with his first love? Is Spiderman with his first? No, I do not agree with you for this genre. Angel show and Buffy they broke up all the couples and make new ones by the end. In Charmed, none of the women ended up with their first romantic relationship and Cole was on the show for years. Star Trek broke up the couples as well. I believe only Miles & Keiko O'Brien and Tom & B'Elanna were allowed to marry and have children as main characters in all 5 shows of Star Trek.