Grimm Forum
Youtube interview Bitsie Tulloch not passive - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Youtube interview Bitsie Tulloch not passive (/Thread-Youtube-interview-Bitsie-Tulloch-not-passive)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Youtube interview Bitsie Tulloch not passive - MarylikesGrimm - 05-16-2017

Youtube interview ‘Grimm’ star Bitsie Tulloch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDvnuZemqWE

Sitting Down With Bitsie Tulloch. Generally Nerdy interview with Bitsie at StarFest Denver 2017

Mary: I did not write word for word but it gives you the idea of what she was saying.

1:24 to 1:44 out of 6:02
Bitsie hurt herself a year ago doing strength training for Grimm. She tore her cartilage in her hip. Since the recovery for the surgery was 6 weeks she had to wait until Grimm was over.

4:31 to 5:40 out of 6:02
Q Who do you identify more with Eve or Juliette?
Eve was harder to play because she was cold and calculating. Juliette was really expressive and I like to use my hands to talk so Juliette was easier to play. Juliette at the beginning was passive and I really don’t relate to that because I am not a passive person. I related to how strong Eve was. Actors do not like getting stuck playing the same thing and staying in your comfort zone. When the show wrote Eve for me it broke me out of my comfort zone.

RE: Youtube interview Bitsie Tulloch not passive - Circe27 - 05-16-2017

I never cared for either Juliette or Eve so that may be why I don't see it, but I never understood why Bitsie keeps saying Eve was a strong character. I really don't get it. Eve is the result of torture and brainwashing, her emotions were removed, she was basically a robot following orders in season 5. In season 6 she was just a mess to me. Most of what she did wasn't really brave or smart. I really didn't get the character.

RE: Youtube interview Bitsie Tulloch not passive - MarylikesGrimm - 05-16-2017

(05-16-2017, 07:28 AM)Circe27 Wrote: I never cared for either Juliette or Eve so that may be why I don't see it, but I never understood why Bitsie keeps saying Eve was a strong character. I really don't get it. Eve is the result of torture and brainwashing, her emotions were removed, she was basically a robot following orders in season 5. In season 6 she was just a mess to me. Most of what she did wasn't really brave or smart. I really didn't get the character.

Eve in season 5 planned her own missions and she was willing to take risks for the mission.

RE: Youtube interview Bitsie Tulloch not passive - Circe27 - 05-16-2017

I know she did that but she did that because she was brainwashed and trained to do it. She had no free will at that point, it wasn't like she willingly worked for HW.

RE: Youtube interview Bitsie Tulloch not passive - rpmaluki - 05-16-2017

For me, pre hexenbiest Juliette that stood up for herself, her wants and needs on very rare occasions is the strong one but they never followed through on that because truth be told that character, had she remained firm in her self worth, she would have left Nick before the end of season 1. I have never liked her but I can't deny that in her character. I guess I understand Bitsie when she says Juliette wasn't strong since she stayed in a relationship that did nothing for her but that's the fault of the EPs forcing a "compliant" leading lady, centered around the hero on a character that should have made her mark for her independence.

(05-16-2017, 07:40 AM)Circe27 Wrote: I know she did that but she did that because she was brainwashed and trained to do it. She had no free will at that point, it wasn't like she willingly worked for HW.

Bitsie does not seem to think that happen. Maybe she thinks HW taught her how to control her hexenbiest like some people experience basic military training. Some see basic military training as first breaking you down and then building you up.

Eve wasn't strong, she was brainwashed into being an efficient soldier devoid of independent thought unless you count her threatening Adalind at the loft because that's the only thing she did as herself that wasn't dictated by HW and their mission. JuliEve/Evette is Juliette 1.0 with same Nick attachment issues but with much more of a backbone to start living her life for her and not the hero of the story.

(05-16-2017, 08:09 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: Eve wasn't strong, she was brainwashed into being an efficient soldier devoid of independent thought unless you count her threatening Adalind at the loft because that's the only thing she did as herself that wasn't dictated by HW and their mission. JuliEve/Evette is Juliette 1.0 with same Nick attachment issues but with much more of a backbone to start living her life for her and not the hero of the story.

If Eve was simply brainwashed then why was she planning missions and making contacts outside of HW. In season 6, Eve is not in HW for a while but looked unhappy when they did not recall her. Eve continued on HW-like "missions" for the rest of season 6. She was upset when the scooby gang told not to take risks. She was sad when she lost her hexenbiest yet she still work for the "mission".

In S6 Eve, through the stick, gained the emotions that were forcibly suppressed, I say that’s brainwashing. When she was first introduced as Eve, she claimed to be a completely separate individual from Juliette. S5 is Eve, S6 is a composite of Juliette and Eve even though she goes by the name Eve.

Quote:Brainwashing (also known as mind control, menticide, coercive persuasion, thought control, thought reform, and re-education) is the concept that the human mind can be altered or controlled by certain psychological techniques. Brainwashing is said to reduce its subject’s ability to think critically or independently,[1] to allow the introduction of new, unwanted thoughts and ideas into the subject’s mind,[2] as well as to change his or her attitudes, values, and beliefs.[3][4]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing

RE: Youtube interview Bitsie Tulloch not passive - Hell Rell - 05-16-2017

(05-16-2017, 08:09 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: Eve wasn't strong, she was brainwashed into being an efficient soldier devoid of independent thought unless you count her threatening Adalind at the loft because that's the only thing she did as herself that wasn't dictated by HW and their mission. JuliEve/Evette is Juliette 1.0 with same Nick attachment issues but with much more of a backbone to start living her life for her and not the hero of the story.

Maybe I've watched too much AOS (kidding, I could never watch too much) but I feel like they tried to create a character similar to Agent May and failed horribly. Mainly because May feels authentic while Eve did not.

The show just fell into the trap of making the cliched version of a "strong woman". AOS shows there's a variety of ways of doing this as seen in May, Simmons, Daisy, and the recurring characters such as Yo-Yo. Even the earlier seasons got this right considering May was the only fighter while Simmons was a scientist and Skye was a hacker.