Grimm Forum
Did Adalind raped Nick? - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Did Adalind raped Nick? (/Thread-Did-Adalind-raped-Nick)

RE: Did Adalind raped Nick? - rpmaluki - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 07:58 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(04-16-2017, 07:51 AM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote:
(04-16-2017, 07:44 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(04-15-2017, 09:25 PM)Mrtrick Wrote: I don't believe Grimms are inherently benevolent. The journals make clear that throughout history they have adopted some paricularly cruel practices. Each one is an individual, capable of good or bad. Just as anyone in a position of power has the possibility of being a force for the positive or negative in our natures. But I do believe that Nick is a good man, and by virtue, representative of the positive in what a Grimm can be. The writers intended Nick to bring on a sea change in Grimm, Wesen relations. A New Testament Grimm as they put it. No longer the boogeyman of Wesen culture, but their defender.

Since Nick's family has been brought up in some of the posts, I thought I would pose a question first.

Why wasn't Nick caring for his sick aunt? He seemed to know she had cancer, there's no indication he was shocked by her appearance. So why did he leave her alone?

Nick had not talked to her for 2 years and he had no idea she was sick.

But why would Nick let things go like that?

(04-16-2017, 07:57 AM)rpmaluki Wrote:
(04-16-2017, 07:44 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(04-15-2017, 09:25 PM)Mrtrick Wrote: I don't believe Grimms are inherently benevolent. The journals make clear that throughout history they have adopted some paricularly cruel practices. Each one is an individual, capable of good or bad. Just as anyone in a position of power has the possibility of being a force for the positive or negative in our natures. But I do believe that Nick is a good man, and by virtue, representative of the positive in what a Grimm can be. The writers intended Nick to bring on a sea change in Grimm, Wesen relations. A New Testament Grimm as they put it. No longer the boogeyman of Wesen culture, but their defender.

Since Nick's family has been brought up in some of the posts, I thought I would pose a question first.

The importance of family has come up and on that note, I wanted to pose a question that came to mind last night.

Why wasn't Nick caring for his sick aunt? He seemed to know she had cancer, there's no indication he was shocked by her appearance. So why did he leave her alone?
Wasn't Marie an active grimm even with her cancer? She was sick, she wasn't an invalid. There was no way of knowing if Nick would become a grimm so she kept that part hidden from him until she knew for certain he had his sight. She was a nomad like most Grimms travelling from one place to another. Nick settled down in one place when he was old enough and I believe Grimms tend to isolate themselves from those members of their family that aren't Grimms (the Kessler sister and their non Grimm brother). His aunt knew where he was, she came "home" when she wanted. And with Nick a grimm himself, she was content to pass down their family heritage and finally succumb to her illness after fighting to her last breath. Nick isn't like his mom, aunt or Trubel. He stays in one place, keeping close to his family instead wandering the world like his ancestors.

He didn't act shocked when she was sitting in his house, so he apparently knew.
I didn't say he didn't know. Marie made her choices until the very end. Her view of being a Grimm was that of isolation from non Grimm because the kehrseite couldn't understand or their lives would be in danger because of the Grimm. Marie despite her illness continued the "good fight" like hundreds of the ancestors wandering the globe fighting wesen. Nick didn't show his grimm sight until he was thirty years of age. She may have come back to Portland periodically to see her kehrseite nephew but if she chose to leave, Nick couldn't stop her. Her last when Nick became a grimm her became her last and it probably made it easier for her to let go, knowning Nick would carry on the family tradition.

RE: Did Adalind raped Nick? - Robyn - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 07:44 AM)irukandji Wrote: Since Nick's family has been brought up in some of the posts, I thought I would pose a question first.

Probably for the same reason Nick acclimated to being a Grimm within fifteen minutes. A family member becoming a Grimm because another dies was used in the pilot, and later dropped. Marie’s death was about Nick becoming a Grimm, not about him losing the woman who raised him.

I agree, considering that she put her life on hold so he’d have one you’d think her death would have been devastating. But that wasn’t the show’s focus. How often did Nick even mention his aunt after the first season? When Nick told Adalind he owed it to his aunt to use the keys, I got the impression he was guilting her into agreeing with him, not paying homage to his beloved aunt.

RE: Did Adalind raped Nick? - irukandji - 04-16-2017

A different kind of Grimm begins with a different kind of human, that's what I'm getting at. We see no compassion in Nick, no benevolence. I see him as being more ambivalent to her condition than anything else.

RE: Did Adalind raped Nick? - Devegs - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 08:10 AM)Robyn Wrote: When Nick told Adalind he owed it to his aunt to use the keys, I got the impression he was guilting her into agreeing with him, not paying homage to his beloved aunt.

Lol. That's kinda funny but you do have a valid point.

(04-16-2017, 08:10 AM)Robyn Wrote:
(04-16-2017, 07:44 AM)irukandji Wrote: Since Nick's family has been brought up in some of the posts, I thought I would pose a question first.

Probably for the same reason Nick acclimated to being a Grimm within fifteen minutes. A family member becoming a Grimm because another dies was used in the pilot, and later dropped. Marie’s death was about Nick becoming a Grimm, not about him losing the woman who raised him.

I agree, considering that she put her life on hold so he’d have one you’d think her death would have been devastating. But that wasn’t the show’s focus. How often did Nick even mention his aunt after the first season? When Nick told Adalind he owed it to his aunt to use the keys, I got the impression he was guilting her into agreeing with him, not paying homage to his beloved aunt.

And this is exactly what I mean. It's certainly not a basis for establishing Nick as a new and different type of Grimm.

Nick grew up thinking his aunt was odd. No doubt Marie was secretive and I'm sure Nick would have been curious about the trailer and it contents. He only got to appreciate it all after becoming a grimm and learning of his heritage. Nick lost his aunt and his mother before he could fully know and understand them. After becoming a grimm they came back into his life for a short period and I'm certain this had a profound effect on his life. That's why at the end, when he had lost too much and so suddenly, it broke him. He was willing to do the wrong thing just to get his loved ones back but thankfully he didn't give Zerstörer the stick. When he got back the people he thought he'd lost for good, he was overwhelmed with such joy, it made sense for him to stay close to his family and loved ones instead of abandoning them like his ancestors were prone to do. Nick is different today because his experience as a grimm shaped him, not his aunt's or his mother's words or what hundred year old books were telling him how to live. He continues to do his duty as a grimm but he does it with his family by his side.

(04-16-2017, 08:21 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: Nick grew up thinking his aunt was odd. No doubt Marie was secretive and I'm sure Nick would have been curious about the trailer and it contents. He only got to appreciate it all after becoming a grimm and learning of his heritage. Nick lost his aunt and his mother before he could fully know and understand them. After becoming a grimm they came back into his life for a short period and I'm certain this had a profound effect on his life. That's why at the end, when he had lost too much and so suddenly, it broke him. He was willing to do the wrong thing just to get his loved ones back but thankfully he didn't give Zerstörer the stick. When he got back the people he thought he'd lost for good, he was overwhelmed with such joy, it made sense for him to stay close to his family and loved ones instead of abandoning them like his ancestors were prone to do. Nick is different today because his experience as a grimm shaped him, not his aunt's or his mother's words or what hundred year old books were telling him how to live. He continues to do his duty as a grimm but he does it with his family by his side.

Well, I understand what happened from point x, what I am talking about is what happened prior to point X.

Marie was a guiding force in Nick's life for at least 6 years, in my opinion the most formative because he was heading toward adulthood. She was seriously ill with terminal cancer which Nick was apparently aware of. Yet he did nothing to care for her while she was sick.

This is his beginning, the time when we're supposed to see something different in the man and from then on, it all clicks. In other words when whoever says he's a different kind of Grimm, we can go back and understand.

That never happened. Instead she gives him a one sentence lecture and even then, even then, he doesn't brush it aside to show concern and at least ask how she's doing.

None of this is a good beginning for establishing a different kind of Grimm. If anything, it just shows Nick is as uncaring and cold as the rest of the ones we've been introduced to.

RE: Did Adalind raped Nick? - FaceInTheCrowd - 04-16-2017

When Nick and Marie were walking outside his house he asked her how long she had, and when she told him nobody knew he asked why she didn't tell him sooner. So she deliberately kept her illness from him for at least some period of time. But she probably told him before she arrived, because he didn't seem surprised by her lack of hair.

And from the little we saw of Marie, my guess is that if Nick had ever said he was going to "take care" of her, she would have clubbed him with her cane.

(04-16-2017, 08:29 AM)irukandji Wrote:
(04-16-2017, 08:21 AM)rpmaluki Wrote: Nick grew up thinking his aunt was odd. No doubt Marie was secretive and I'm sure Nick would have been curious about the trailer and it contents. He only got to appreciate it all after becoming a grimm and learning of his heritage. Nick lost his aunt and his mother before he could fully know and understand them. After becoming a grimm they came back into his life for a short period and I'm certain this had a profound effect on his life. That's why at the end, when he had lost too much and so suddenly, it broke him. He was willing to do the wrong thing just to get his loved ones back but thankfully he didn't give Zerstörer the stick. When he got back the people he thought he'd lost for good, he was overwhelmed with such joy, it made sense for him to stay close to his family and loved ones instead of abandoning them like his ancestors were prone to do. Nick is different today because his experience as a grimm shaped him, not his aunt's or his mother's words or what hundred year old books were telling him how to live. He continues to do his duty as a grimm but he does it with his family by his side.

Well, I understand what happened from point x, what I am talking about is what happened prior to point X.

Marie was a guiding for in Nick's life for at least 6 years, in my opinion the most formative because he was heading toward adulthood. She was seriously ill with terminal cancer which Nick was apparently aware of. Yet he did nothing to care for her while she was sick.

This is his beginning, the time when we're supposed to see something different in the man and from then on, it all clicks. In other words when whoever says he's a different kind of Grimm, we can go back and understand.

That never happened. Instead she gives him a one sentence lecture and even then, even then, he doesn't brush it aside to show concern and at least ask how she's doing.

None of this is a good beginning for establishing a different kind of Grimm. If anything, it just shows Nick is as uncaring and cold as all of them.
Nick's version of a grimm was six years in the making, everything we saw on screen. He made decisions that he lived to regret, made friendships along the way. He was shaped by the loss of some family members and that made him even less accepting of further losses. The person he is at the beginning of the show isn't the person he is at the end of it. I don't know if he'd undo some of his mistakes he made at the beginning. I get the sense that he won't if it alters his current life dramatically, losing everything he has today. Nick was never a perfect son or nephew. As a child, the adults in his life did more in making him the person he was once he became an adult. An 18 year old can't be expected to act in a mature way when his elders are making decisions that don't make any sense to him, decisions that affect his life. He grew up thinking his mother was dead that his aunt was a weirdo when she could have educated him better about what she did in the cover of darkness than let him think, for years, that she had a few screws loose. He had an uncle he wasn't even close with because of how Marie raised him. Grimms push their non Grimm families away for a while this was Nick. Marie did enough to raise him so he could stand on his own as a kehrseite well unaffected by her life as a Grimm. Nick is choosing a difference path for himself after learning how not to do it by observing his predecessors but also with learning from his own mistakes.

RE: Did Adalind raped Nick? - MarylikesGrimm - 04-16-2017

(04-16-2017, 08:48 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: When Nick and Marie were walking outside his house he asked her how long she had, and when she told him nobody knew he asked why she didn't tell him sooner. So she deliberately kept her illness from him for at least some period of time. But she probably told him before she arrived, because he didn't seem surprised by her lack of hair.

And from the little we saw of Marie, my guess is that if Nick had ever said he was going to "take care" of her, she would have clubbed him with her cane.

http://grimm.wikia.com/wiki/Pilot/Transcript

[Nick and Marie go outside to talk]
Nick: How bad is it?
Marie: Two months, two weeks, two days. Nobody knows. But there are so many things I have to tell you.
Nick: Why didn't you come here sooner?
Marie: I couldn't.
Nick: Why?

Juliette: How long did you live with Marie?
Nick: She was my mother from the time I was 12.
Juliette: After your parents died?
Nick: Yeah.
Juliette: You didn't live in that trailer, did you?
Nick: I didn't know she had it.

Nick: How is she?
Doctor : Well, she's dying of cancer.

Read more at: http://transcripts.foreverdreaming.org/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14611