Grimm Forum
Grimm’s worldview - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Grimm’s worldview (/Thread-Grimm%E2%80%99s-worldview)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Grimm’s worldview - irukandji - 12-17-2016

(12-17-2016, 11:14 PM)syscrash Wrote: The crimes are only there to give Nick and the others a reason to use their abilities. There is no motivation in their actions.

Yes there is. It's called a job.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - syscrash - 12-17-2016

When has any of the characters jobs taken precedence over wesen activity. Adalind is the only one who's job relies on her abilities. Bud being a beaver could equate to his ability to fix and build things. But that is an indirect relation. Nick could be a private detective and still work wesen cases. Just not sure who his client would be.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - irukandji - 12-17-2016

(12-17-2016, 11:33 PM)syscrash Wrote: When has any of the characters jobs taken precedence over wesen activity. Adalind is the only one who's job relies on her abilities. Bud being a beaver could equate to his ability to fix and build things. But that is an indirect relation. Nick could be a private detective and still work wesen cases. Just not sure who his client would be.

Let's just talk about Nick then. It's a given the crimes offer him an opportunity to show his abilities. But he can't investigate one single crime without being a detective, that's his job. Before he can do that job, he has to be motivated to work. Motivation comes in the form of the fome, and supporting Adalind and their baby.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - MarylikesGrimm - 12-17-2016

(12-17-2016, 11:33 PM)syscrash Wrote: When has any of the characters jobs taken precedence over wesen activity. Adalind is the only one who's job relies on her abilities. Bud being a beaver could equate to his ability to fix and build things. But that is an indirect relation. Nick could be a private detective and still work wesen cases. Just not sure who his client would be.

Eve/Juliette could start a private detective agency and Nick could be an employee. Wesen would be more willing to first meet with another wesen.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - syscrash - 12-18-2016

Quote:Let's just talk about Nick then. It's a given the crimes offer him an opportunity to show his abilities. But he can't investigate one single crime without being a detective, that's his job. Before he can do that job, he has to be motivated to work. Motivation comes in the form of the fome, and supporting Adalind and their baby.
Nick could do what he does if he was a private detective instead of a policeman. The difference would be explaining how he gets paid. On most shows they make the detective with special skills a police consultant. Nick has never worried about losing his job because of his responsibilities. It has never made since how his mother was able to take care of her self. It made even less sense when she was hiding with Diana. They implied she was like Meisner a gun for hire.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - jsgrimm45 - 12-18-2016

(12-18-2016, 12:06 AM)syscrash Wrote:
Quote:Let's just talk about Nick then. It's a given the crimes offer him an opportunity to show his abilities. But he can't investigate one single crime without being a detective, that's his job. Before he can do that job, he has to be motivated to work. Motivation comes in the form of the fome, and supporting Adalind and their baby.
Nick could do what he does if he was a private detective instead of a policeman. The difference would be explaining how he gets paid. On most shows they make the detective with special skills a police consultant. Nick has never worried about losing his job because of his responsibilities. It has never made since how his mother was able to take care of her self. It made even less sense when she was hiding with Diana. They implied she was like Meisner a gun for hire.
Would agree a Grimm like Kelly would need to be a gun for hire, like Iam said how much did you have to pay the Grimm to help on Freddies murder? Can we take from that statement that is how must Grimm's may their way?

Now if we use that idea does this lead to Grimm's taking out wesen who just can pay when someone else can?

RE: Grimm’s worldview - Robyn - 12-18-2016

(12-17-2016, 11:14 PM)syscrash Wrote: The crimes are only there to give Nick and the others a reason to use their abilities. There is no motivation in their actions. Only reasons for the action. That is why when people try and judge by what they feel the characters are thinking. They find the assumption does not make sense. Try and judge based on a characters motivation and the actions start to contradict themselves. That is why people find it hard to rationalize why Nick overlooks Adalind's past. And now why he will overlook Eve past.
So you’re saying the character don’t act on:
  • Motivation - the reason or reasons one has for acting or behaving in a particular way.
    synonyms: motive, motivating force, incentive, stimulus, stimulation, inspiration, inducement, incitement, spur, reason

But rather, in order to propel a specific episode to it’s conclusion the writers supply this:
  • Reason: cause, explanation, or justification for an action or event.
    synonyms: cause, ground(s), basis, rationale

Basically, the characters are simply reacting to contrived situations in a manner that moves the episodes/stories in the direction the writers’ desire. What appeared personal or important to a character in one episode may not exist in the next episode if it impedes the writers’ desired conclusion. Nick is not a detective in order to explore the conflicts of living/operating in two very different worlds, but rather, being a detective supplies the central character access to crimes and operating under the color of law allows an easy flow of storytelling for the writers. The writers never intended to present debatable scenarios, such as Nick abusing his authority and access as a police officer. Questions of morality and integrity are inconsequential to the story being told. Nick abusing his authority and access as a police officer is simply a method to propel the action to it’s conclusion and not a concern for the writers.

(12-18-2016, 12:06 AM)syscrash Wrote: Nick could do what he does if he was a private detective instead of a policeman. The difference would be explaining how he gets paid. On most shows they make the detective with special skills a police consultant. Nick has never worried about losing his job because of his responsibilities. It has never made since how his mother was able to take care of her self. It made even less sense when she was hiding with Diana. They implied she was like Meisner a gun for hire.
Based on your analysis of the show’s format, your confusion about Kelly’s method of financial support is without basis. If Kelly’s method of supporting herself isn’t necessary to propel the action to it’s conclusion, the what, how, and why of Kelly earning a living is irrelevant. Kelly is simply alive and active should an episode require that character’s function to propel the action to it’s conclusion.

It’s finally becoming clear why I was unable to personally invest in the characters and their stories. There’s simply nothing personal to invest in. Nick, Juliette, and Adalind suffering horrific, life altering hardships has nothing to do with the characters growing and evolving or learning to survive and move on. These characters are simply tools used to propel the action to it’s conclusion in an episode. Which is probably why I have no idea who is a bad guy and who is a good guy, other than the show’s character bios. G & K created a central character/hero and his team of loyal sidekicks, and created two recurring villains. That’s my only real clue because while all the characters have behaved as good or bad, it was never due to personal motivation, only what a episode required to propel the action to it’s conclusion.

One thing still confuses me, syscrash. You have had negative reactions to Adalind’s behavior on numerous occasions.

One of the stories/action in S3 was that Adalind would lose Diana and Kelly would take her. Kelly, Nick, Renard, etc… didn’t have any personal motivation, the writers supplied the reason - The Royals threaten Team Grimm and Team Grimm reacts by taking Diana from Adalind. Action and reaction. The characters were simply functioning in a manner that would propel the story/action to it’s conclusion.

By the same token, Adalind didn’t take Nick’s Grimm for revenge, or any personal motivation. The story/action was to be Nick loses his Grimm. Adalind was simply the catalyst for that action. And as you’ve point out many times, the show always supplies the characters an out. Because Renard told Adalind he gave Diana to Viktor, Adalind contacted Viktor who offered her access to Diana in exchange for taking Nick’s Grimm. This was the show supplying Adalind a get out of jail free card; was it not?

Why question Adalind’s intent when she took Kelly and went to Renard and Diana? The story was about Nick temporarily losing his son, Nick vs. Renard/BC. Adalind was simply behaving in a contrived fashion that would aid in propelling the action to it’s conclusion. So why have any negative reaction to Adalind’s behavior?

RE: Grimm’s worldview - syscrash - 12-19-2016

Quote:Basically, the characters are simply reacting to contrived situations in a manner that moves the episodes/stories in the direction the writers’ desire. What appeared personal or important to a character in one episode may not exist in the next episode if it impedes the writers’ desired conclusion. Nick is not a detective in order to explore the conflicts of living/operating in two very different worlds, but rather, being a detective supplies the central character access to crimes and operating under the color of law allows an easy flow of storytelling for the writers. The writers never intended to present debatable scenarios, such as Nick abusing his authority and access as a police officer. Questions of morality and integrity are inconsequential to the story being told. Nick abusing his authority and access as a police officer is simply a method to propel the action to it’s conclusion and not a concern for the writers.

It’s finally becoming clear why I was unable to personally invest in the characters and their stories. There’s simply nothing personal to invest in. Nick, Juliette, and Adalind suffering horrific, life altering hardships has nothing to do with the characters growing and evolving or learning to survive and move on. These characters are simply tools used to propel the action to it’s conclusion in an episode. Which is probably why I have no idea who is a bad guy and who is a good guy, other than the show’s character bios. G & K created a central character/hero and his team of loyal sidekicks, and created two recurring villains. That’s my only real clue because while all the characters have behaved as good or bad, it was never due to personal motivation, only what a episode required to propel the action to it’s conclusion.

Robyn these two statement sum up my view and observations better then I have ever been able to express.
They also explain why so many comments have a problem with the show. You are right it is hard if not impossible to get involved with the character because we have now idea who they are. we only see what they do. So many try to summarize the who they are from the what they do.

Quote:One thing still confuses me, syscrash. You have had negative reactions to Adalind’s behavior on numerous occasions.
Why question Adalind’s intent when she took Kelly and went to Renard and Diana? The story was about Nick temporarily losing his son, Nick vs. Renard/BC. Adalind was simply behaving in a contrived fashion that would aid in propelling the action to it’s conclusion. So why have any negative reaction to Adalind’s behavior?

At times I try and draw logical conclusions even when their are none. Also in engage in intellectual arguments as to why people develop the opinions they do. If you notice I am quick to point out when people are arguing based on a belief instead of a fact. So many have developed a perception of the character that mirror what they feel the character should do or be.
My objective view of the Adalind character is she is created to be very calculating but has very little foresight. I find fault in what Adalind does as a means to show the biased perception people have of Juliette / Eve.
To me Adalind is a perfect example of what a hexenbiest is. Where Hexenette / Eve are still human learning to be a hexenbiest. Even in season 5 Adalind reacts exactly like you would expect a hexenbiest to act. The only time Juliette / Eve reacted like a hexenbiest was burning the trailer. My only objection she should have done it with more style instead of throwing a tantrum. As Eve she was a mercenary with hexenbiest powers. Example killing the guys in the truck. A hexenbiest would have done it with flair and style. Adalind would have let the truck drive away, then blow them up, smiling as the truck slowly coasted to a stop. She would have then turned walked away. The one thing you can say about Adalind she has style.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - MarylikesGrimm - 12-19-2016

(12-19-2016, 01:37 AM)syscrash Wrote:
Quote:Basically, the characters are simply reacting to contrived situations in a manner that moves the episodes/stories in the direction the writers’ desire. What appeared personal or important to a character in one episode may not exist in the next episode if it impedes the writers’ desired conclusion. Nick is not a detective in order to explore the conflicts of living/operating in two very different worlds, but rather, being a detective supplies the central character access to crimes and operating under the color of law allows an easy flow of storytelling for the writers. The writers never intended to present debatable scenarios, such as Nick abusing his authority and access as a police officer. Questions of morality and integrity are inconsequential to the story being told. Nick abusing his authority and access as a police officer is simply a method to propel the action to it’s conclusion and not a concern for the writers.

Robyn these two statement sum up my view and observations better then I have ever been able to express.
They also explain why so many comments have a problem with the show. You are right it is hard if not impossible to get involved with the character because we have now idea who they are. we only see what they do. So many try to summarize the who they are from the what they do.

Quote:One thing still confuses me, syscrash. You have had negative reactions to Adalind’s behavior on numerous occasions.

At times I try and draw logical conclusions even when their are none. Also in engage in intellectual arguments as to why people develop the opinions they do. If you notice I am quick to point out when people are arguing based on a belief instead of a fact. So many have developed a perception of the character that mirror what they feel the character should do or be.
My objective view of the Adalind character is she is created to be very calculating but has very little foresight. I find fault in what Adalind does as a means to show the biased perception people have of Juliette / Eve.
To me Adalind is a perfect example of what a hexenbiest is. Where Hexenette / Eve are still human learning to be a hexenbiest. Even in season 5 Adalind reacts exactly like you would expect a hexenbiest to act. The only time Juliette / Eve reacted like a hexenbiest was burning the trailer. My only objection she should have done it with more style instead of throwing a tantrum. As Eve she was a mercenary with hexenbiest powers. Example killing the guys in the truck. A hexenbiest would have done it with flair and style. Adalind would have let the truck drive away, then blow them up, smiling as the truck slowly coasted to a stop. She would have then turned walked away. The one thing you can say about Adalind she has style.

Season 5 both the actor and character acted like a mother and Adalind was sorry about what she did and she had low self-esteem. Adalind of season 2 was like that.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - irukandji - 12-20-2016

(12-19-2016, 01:53 PM)MarylikesGrimm Wrote: Season 5 both the actor and character acted like a mother and Adalind was sorry about what she did and she had low self-esteem. Adalind of season 2 was like that.

I must have read this post a hundred times before it smacked my brain into action, cyber wise that is.

You are absolutely correct, MarylikesGrimm. Kudos! While I wasn't big on Adalind's version of regret, she at least did voice regret. That is motivation with no relevance to the story. It shows growth in the character. There may not be a lot of motivation in Grimm, but it is there.

Otherwise, the series would be nothing more than a live action story problem.