Grimm Forum
Grimm’s worldview - Printable Version

+- Grimm Forum (https://grimmforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Grimm Universe (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Universe)
+--- Forum: Grimm Discussions (https://grimmforum.com/forum/Forum-Grimm-Discussions)
+--- Thread: Grimm’s worldview (/Thread-Grimm%E2%80%99s-worldview)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Grimm’s worldview - Adriano Neres Rodrigues - 12-13-2016

Note 1: I am using worldview as "...the basic way of interpreting things and events that pervades a culture so thoroughly that it becomes a culture's concept of reality — what is good, what is important, what is sacred, what is real..." (http://asa3.org/ASA/education/views/index.html)

Note 2: We only have Nick’s family in the show as a model of what a typical Grimm family is. We don’t know what happened to Trubel family (if she was abandoned or if her family died). Josh dad was not a traditional grimm.

Question 1: I will start about family, but fill free to debate/ask about other elements in the show.

Nick’s aunt (Marie) took care of him but she never said him about the grimms until she was almost dying. She never told him about her mother (she was still alive but he believed she was dead). Marie told Nick to leave Juliette and choose to be a grimm.

Kelly left Nick behind when he was only twelve years old. Kelly took Diana from Adelaind when Diana was only a baby. Seeing Diana after returning from Kelly, we can ask if that was a good decision. Diana was protected from the royals but Kelly could have taken Adelaind with them so Adelaind could have taken care of Diana. I think Kelly didn’t protect Diana only from the royals, but from Adelaind teachings too.

Nick loved Juliette but between Juliette and being a grimm he tried to be both and I know many in the forum will say Nick gave more value to be a grimm then to stay with Juliette.

Apparently, Grimms don’t give too much value family. The war in the world of wesen is more important for them. The protection is a word that has more importance for them.

How do you see this in the show?

EDITED to add the link bellow:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140410-can-we-drive-our-own-evolution

This link is about an article on BBC web site about how culture influences the evolution of genetics.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - MarylikesGrimm - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 05:57 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: Note 1: I am using worldview as "...the basic way of interpreting things and events that pervades a culture so thoroughly that it becomes a culture's concept of reality — what is good, what is important, what is sacred, what is real..." (http://asa3.org/ASA/education/views/index.html)

Note 2: We only have Nick’s family in the show as a model of what a typical Grimm family is. We don’t know what happened to Trubel family (if she was abandoned or if her family died). Josh dad was not a traditional grimm.

Question 1: I will start about family, but fill free to debate/ask about other elements in the show.

Nick’s aunt (Marie) took care of him but she never said him about the grimms until she was almost dying. She never told him about her mother (she was still alive but he believed she was dead). Marie told Nick to leave Juliette and choose to be a grimm.

Kelly left Nick behind when he was only twelve years old. Kelly took Diana from Adelaind when Diana was only a baby. Seeing Diana after returning from Kelly, we can ask if that was a good decision. Diana was protected from the royals but Kelly could have taken Adelaind with them so Adelaind could have taken care of Diana. I think Kelly didn’t protect Diana only from the royals, but from Adelaind teachings too.

Nick loved Juliette but between Juliette and being a grimm he tried to be both and I know many in the forum will say Nick gave more value to be a grimm then to stay with Juliette.

Apparently, Grimms don’t give too much value family. The war in the world of wesen is more important for them. The protection is a word that has more importance for them.

How do you see this in the show?

Kesser/Burkhardt family did not seem care much about the spouses and girlfriends. They seem to go out of the way to protect their "heirs" but not love them in the traditional way. They also want to be Grimms even though they realize there are issues with the lifestyle.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - brandon - 12-13-2016

They see it as a "duty "and "duty" is above all- firefighters, cop

RE: Grimm’s worldview - rpmaluki - 12-13-2016

So is it an instinctual thing to place more value to being a Grimm (protector/hunter) for "the greater good" of society, while letting personal relationships fall by the way side? Are they even aware of the latter disintegrating because they are too focused on the former task? I think Grimm are naturally less emotional than your typical human (or have less EQ as a whole despite falling in love and bearing children of their own), they would need to be in order to think nothing of hacking wesen like it was nothing, after centuries of doing the same thing over, it's easy to see them lose much of their empathy because of their mission in the greater scheme of things.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - jsgrimm45 - 12-13-2016

Good idea to think about. Many have posted at times how Buffy and Angel were like Grimm. Not until the last month had I seen any of the series, now seeing both I now understand why the made the post. Grimm started out in the Buffy idea that only another slayer came into being when the other died, later they changed the how of Grimms to birth.

At the end of Buffy she figured out a way to make all "maybe" slayers slayers. Grimm IMO is pure fantasy so this colors my posts, that being said now on with the post.

In the series we are told that Grimms have always been a way to control wesen. Should we take away that Grimms have an born needing to do this? If we track that line than Grimms family lives will always fail to duty. This is what IMO Marie was telingl Nick, Kelly come along and kind of told him to try and have both worlds. Is this even possible?

Josh's dad did this but we don't know how so this adds a twist to the story by saying it can be done. We now bring in Trubel she didn't know she was a Grimm but she did fight as one without knowing it. She did learn from Nick that not all wesen would be out to get her, more in keeping with what Marie told Nick.

So by being raised by Marie not Kelly may be the answer to why Nick isn't a Kelly type Grimm. We seen Kelly attack Monroe and Rosalee without a second thought. Now take Monroe he also is a different wesen he helped Nick, but his mom and dad were like Kelly attacking without a second thought.

Should this be a question to answer? In my fantasy worldview Grimms are born to protect the human world.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - irukandji - 12-13-2016

Just to add some pennies to this very interesting thread.....

At first I was thinking there was no culture here. After all, there is just Nick. He didn't inherit any values or culture from Marie other than the trailer. In my opinion, that's just a small percentage.

Nick has initiated Trubel into his culture. What she has learned as a Grimm came from him. There has been discussions that Nick didn't give her the chance to perhaps broaden her horizons elsewhere, such as college, or getting employment just like other young people.

What are your thoughts on Nick passing on his version of culture to
Trubel?

RE: Grimm’s worldview - rpmaluki - 12-13-2016

I like Nick's version of Grimm that doesn't kill indiscriminately, not all wesen are murderous/have villain tendencies.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - Adriano Neres Rodrigues - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 10:33 AM)irukandji Wrote: Just to add some pennies to this very interesting thread.....

At first I was thinking there was no culture here. After all, there is just Nick. He didn't inherit any values or culture from Marie other than the trailer. In my opinion, that's just a small percentage.

Nick has initiated Trubel into his culture. What she has learned as a Grimm came from him. There has been discussions that Nick didn't give her the chance to perhaps broaden her horizons elsewhere, such as college, or getting employment just like other young people.

What are your thoughts on Nick passing on his version of culture to
Trubel?

I like a quote I listened same time ago: No one can give what he has not.
What I mean is that Nick taught Trubel the “grimm culture” he learned himself. Nick himself had no one to teach him. Marie had time just to tell him to kill only bad wesen. But she didn’t tell him how to define who were the bad wesens. Everything else Nick learned from Monroe and from the books. That is a key point (I think) if talking about Grimm culture. The only connection Nick had to knowledge and the culture the grimms created in the past were the books and the trailer. Unfortunately there is college in the show specific for grimms. Tongue
That is what Nick gave to Trubel. What you call “his culture” (I imagine you are reffering to Nick’s culture about grimm / wesen world, am I right?) is actually what Nick gave to Trubel: Access to his books and to “his wesens” (Monroe, Rosalee, Bud, and so on).
I can’t see how Nick could offer anything more to Trubel, since it was everything he had to offer.
But think about it: Trubel created her own version of what a grimm is, manly after she went to work with HW. Trubel created her own culture.
That lead us to another question that was already made on other threads: How much of grimm attitudes are learned? How much came from genetics?
Is It only culture that plays a role here?

Jsgrimm45, your post has a lot of good ideas.
(12-13-2016, 10:11 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: In the series we are told that Grimms have always been a way to control wesen. Should we take away that Grimms have an born needing to do this? If we track that line than Grimms family lives will always fail to duty. This is what IMO Marie was telingl Nick, Kelly come along and kind of told him to try and have both worlds. Is this even possible?
This was already debated in other threads but again the question arises: Are grimms attitudes originated on genetics? Did they learn it? Maybe grimm genetics push them to act the way they do: to priorize, for example, their duty over their family.

(12-13-2016, 10:11 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Josh's dad did this but we don't know how so this adds a twist to the story by saying it can be done.
Josh’s dad manage to live as non grimm but he wasn’t able to pass his grimm genetics to his son. What if josh’s dad was son of a grimm with a non-grimm, would this play a role on the fact that Josh’s dad didn’t fill the necessity of be a grimm in the old style?
Could this also explain Nick be the so called “new type of grimm”?

(12-13-2016, 10:11 AM)jsgrimm45 Wrote: Should this be a question to answer? In my fantasy worldview Grimms are born to protect the human world.
I think you imagine Grimm need to protect. By magic or by genetics. Am I right? Do you think then that it would impossible for a grimm to join an organization like BC since it would treat humans?

To add more elements to think about.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20140410-can-we-drive-our-own-evolution

This is a link to an article on BBC web site about how culture influences the evolution of genetics.

RE: Grimm’s worldview - New Guy - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 11:08 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: . . . Everything else Nick learned from Monroe and from the books. That is a key point (I think) if talking about Grimm culture. The only connection Nick had to knowledge and the culture the grimms created in the past were the books and the trailer. . . .
Hi Adriano,
I'll add two cents. Rosalee's father had a connection to the Wesen Council. When he died, Rosalee eventually gained a connection. Here are some pieces from Grimm.Wikia.com
Quote:The Wesen Council of Wallenstadt was a group of Wesen that governed Wesen law. The most severe law they enforced was the Gesetzbuch Ehrenkodex, also known as the Code of Swabia, which is the most important law of honor Wesen have. Part of the law in the Council said it was forbidden to use their Wesen side to disadvantage or murder Kehrseite, which was a capital crime. They were willing to kill, either directly through their agents such as Alexander, or by hiring a bounty hunter known as a Maréchaussée, in order to maintain and enforce the Code.
Quote:Rosalee and Monroe talked about the bank robberies around Portland and the possibility of getting the Wesen Council involved. Monroe hoped it wouldn't come to that, but after Rosalee addressed a meeting of very scared Wesen in the spice shop and promised to deal with the situation, she later revealed to Monroe that her father and brother had a contact on the Council. She and Monroe searched Freddy's papers and found the contact details, and Rosalee made the call. ("Natural Born Wesen")
Quote:Genetics, Grausen, and Dēcapitāre (Oh my!)
Rosalee was in the spice shop with Monroe when Nick and Hank arrived to ask about the offspring between Wesen and humans, so they gave a brief overview. When Nick described what happened to Daniel Keary, Rosalee and Monroe thought that he may be Grausen, and if that was the case, Rosalee said she had to inform the Wesen Council. Later, Monroe and Rosalee were asleep when someone knocked on their door. Monroe answered expecting Nick, but it was Alexander who asked for Rosalee. Rosalee appeared and reluctantly told Alexander where to find Daniel. ("Stories We Tell Our Young")
Note the end of the episode:
Quote:Nick goes to the interrogation room where Alexander is waiting and drops a folder in front of him, telling him it's Daniel's medical reports. Alexander asks him what it proves, and Nick tells him Daniel was infected with a parasite that caused him to be what the Council called a Grausen. Nick tells him, "It's not possession by demon, it's not a mutation, and Daniel has been cured." Alexander tells Nick he should know better since he's a Grimm and that he needs to see Daniel. Nick says he needs to take his word for it because of what his ancestors and the Council agreed to in the Charter of Wittenberg in 1682. Nick tells him to take the report with him when he leaves so the council can read it. Alexander is surprised Nick is letting him go, and Nick says, "I like to think we live in an enlightened age where fear does not drive belief. That's the truth behind the fear." Alexander tells him fear is a difficult thing to change, but Nick tells him to "try."

The Wesen Council had a written code (the Gesetzbuch Ehrenkodex, also known as the Code of Swabia) as a guide for good vs bad Wesen. Monroe and Rosalee seem to be aware of the rules in the code. They discuss this with Nick and IMO, he incorporates some into his Grimm Worldview. For the Nick Haters, I find his line, "I like to think we live in an enlightened age where fear does not drive belief. That's the truth behind the fear," redemptive.
By the way, Nick and the Scoobies saved Daniel's life by going against the Council.

N G

RE: Grimm’s worldview - irukandji - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 11:08 AM)Adriano Neres Rodrigues Wrote: I like a quote I listened same time ago: No one can give what he has not. What I mean is that Nick taught Trubel the “grimm culture” he learned himself. Nick himself had no one to teach him. Marie had time just to tell him to kill only bad wesen. But she didn’t tell him how to define who were the bad wesens. Everything else Nick learned from Monroe and from the books. That is a key point (I think) if talking about Grimm culture. The only connection Nick had to knowledge and the culture the grimms created in the past were the books and the trailer. Unfortunately there is college in the show specific for grimms. Tongue

That is what Nick gave to Trubel. What you call “his culture” (I imagine you are reffering to Nick’s culture about grimm / wesen world, am I right?) is actually what Nick gave to Trubel: Access to his books and to “his wesens” (Monroe, Rosalee, Bud, and so on).
I can’t see how Nick could offer anything more to Trubel, since it was everything he had to offer.
But think about it: Trubel created her own version of what a grimm is, manly after she went to work with HW. Trubel created her own culture.
That lead us to another question that was already made on other threads: How much of grimm attitudes are learned? How much came from genetics?
Is It only culture that plays a role here?

I found a definition of culture that I think would apply here:

Culture means a particular set of customs, morals, codes and traditions from a specific time and place.

I don't think what Nick does can be considered can be considered a culture. I don't even think the whole of group Grimms can be considered a culture. They seem to act according to will rather than following any time honored code or a set of rules.

If I recall, there was at least one episode of Grimm that dealt with teaching young people about wesen customs. So it appears that wesen do have a culture, but Grimms do not.